Bills' 2018 Training Camp Day 4 - Nick O'Leary in Walking Boot

Tremaine Edmunds keeping head buried in playbook

Tremaine Edmunds is showing early he's a man of few words.

"It's exciting, man. Getting out here with these pros and just going to work and just learning and getting better every day,” said Edmunds.

Which he did during the break between minicamp and training camp.

"Can't really take breaks in this sport. I was in my playbook, just going over things, refreshing my mind. Just staying locked in with it,” he said.

And it's paying off early at St. John Fisher College.

Obviously a long way to go, but when was the last time (probably never) the Bills got into training camp with guys who have the potential to be offensive rookie of the year AND defensive rookie of the year?  Legitimate shots at each. 

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Obviously a long way to go, but when was the last time (probably never) the Bills got into training camp with guys who have the potential to be offensive rookie of the year AND defensive rookie of the year?  Legitimate shots at each. 

Edmunds does, but I don't believe Allen has a "legitimate" shot at OROY. 

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Umm... who has a shot at OROY?

54 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Edmunds does, but I don't believe Allen has a "legitimate" shot at OROY. 

Allen has a shot at starting.  If he starts and the Bills go to the playoffs, he has a shot at OROY.  

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Allen has a shot at starting.  If he starts and the Bills go to the playoffs, he has a shot at OROY.  

He does have a shot at starting, but the Bills don't look like a playoff team to me based on the offensive talent on hand.  Let's see if he starts before we get to the playoffs and OROY. At any rate, I would characterize his chances as legit given the competition. 

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He does have a shot at starting, but the Bills don't look like a playoff team to me based on the offensive talent on hand.  Let's see if he starts before we get to the playoffs and OROY. At any rate, I would characterize his chances as legit given the competition. 

If Allen starts he has a shot at OROY, but let's be honest he not only would have to start but he would have to at the very least put up a "good" rookie year. I think Saquan Barkley if he stays healthy could have a top 10 year at RB production wise. It's hard for a QB to beat that unless he has a really good season which is hard to do both as a rookie and with the current level of offensive talent. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If Allen starts he has a shot at OROY, but let's be honest he not only would have to start but he would have to at the very least put up a "good" rookie year. I think Saquan Barkley if he stays healthy could have a top 10 year at RB production wise. It's hard for a QB to beat that unless he has a really good season which is hard to do both as a rookie and with the current level of offensive talent. 

I'd pick Barkley as the favorite. 

Had an awesome time at TC today with my son.  Thanks again to @Just Jack for the tickets.  It’s been a couple years, so it was especially nice to get back to SJF.  

My son got a bunch of autographs from players including Malachi Dupri, Robert Foster, Hauschka, Reid Ferguson, Wyatt Teller (who was hilarious), Harrison Phillips (who seemed to be really quiet but played awesome and signed for just about everyone), Austin Proel, and Nate Peterman.

It was really interesting following along with the Twitter reports while following practice.  Quite a few of the tweets from camp reporters didn’t seem to be entirely accurate. For example, there were a few times certain quarterbacks were praised for making great passes, but watching from the stands, it was clear to everyone that it would have been a sack.  There were quite a few instances of this which reminds me that these things aren’t always entirely accurate and/or lack context.

A few observations from memory:

- It was tough to evaluate the QB’s.  They all had their ups and downs.  What was clear is that Josh Allen is a “fiery” type of player who I think will be an excellent leader if he back up his good leadership presence with play on the field.  McCarron was probably the most consistent player today, but he (and Peterman) just kind of seem to be going through the motions.  Allen is always taking to coaches after his reps, practicing his footwork/mechanics, and encouraging the other players.

- Hughes and Yarborough seemed to be virtually unblockable today.  Hughes was awesome at rushing the edge, as usual.  Yarborough seemed to be all over the field.  Lorax also seemed to make quite a few plays.

- Robert Foster was especially impressive.  He and Allen never seemed to be on the right page, however, as several times Allen appeared to be looking for the back-shoulder through and Foster would run something different.  Malachi Dupri was also impressive to me.  Also, it seems like Clay is going to be a huge part of this offense.

- I think Daboll’s offense is going to be fun to watch.  Lots of different looks out there including some RPO mixed in.

-  Shady didn’t play all that much it seemed (at least in 11 on 11’s), but he flashed his typical electric stuff out there when he got touches.  The guy definitely still has “it.”  I could see him playing 2-3 more years easily if he stays healthy.  Chris Ivory is sneaky fast.  Had an awesome run off tackle that would have gone for a long TD.  Absolutely smoked the secondary.

-  Harrison Phillips seemed to play a lot of 1 tech today.  Mainly occupied the center and OG, which was good, but I hope they have broader plans for him.

- I think Wyatt Teller is going to be very tough to keep off the field.  He played the entire time with the 2nd team at RG, as John Miller played with the 1st team (and looked good).  I didn’t pay close enough attention to evaluate him in pass protection, but it was difficult to not notice him in run blocking.  The guy is an absolute bulldozer, and is really good at getting to the second level.  As I mentioned earlier, he was absolutely hilarious when he was signing autographs.  Great guy.

That’s about all that comes to mind right now.  Wish I was able to take notes, but I was really enjoying spending time with my son.  He has always loves the Bills, but now he is old enough to really appreciate and understand the game.  I’m absolutely hooked now....can’t wait for the first preseason game!!!

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Had an awesome time at TC today with my son.  Thanks again to @Just Jack for the tickets.  It’s been a couple years, so it was especially nice to get back to SJF.  

My son got a bunch of autographs from players including Malachi Dupri, Robert Foster, Hauschka, Reid Ferguson, Wyatt Teller (who was hilarious), Harrison Phillips (who seemed to be really quiet but played awesome and signed for just about everyone), Austin Proel, and Nate Peterman.

It was really interesting following along with the Twitter reports while following practice.  Quite a few of the tweets from camp reporters didn’t seem to be entirely accurate. For example, there were a few times certain quarterbacks were praised for making great passes, but watching from the stands, it was clear to everyone that it would have been a sack.  There were quite a few instances of this which reminds me that these things aren’t always entirely accurate and/or lack context.

A few observations from memory:

- It was tough to evaluate the QB’s.  They all had their ups and downs.  What was clear is that Josh Allen is a “fiery” type of player who I think will be an excellent leader if he back up his good leadership presence with play on the field.  McCarron was probably the most consistent player today, but he (and Peterman) just kind of seem to be going through the motions.  Allen is always taking to coaches after his reps, practicing his footwork/mechanics, and encouraging the other players.

- Hughes and Yarborough seemed to be virtually unblockable today.  Hughes was awesome at rushing the edge, as usual.  Yarborough seemed to be all over the field.  Lorax also seemed to make quite a few plays.

- Robert Foster was especially impressive.  He and Allen never seemed to be on the right page, however, as several times Allen appeared to be looking for the back-shoulder through and Foster would run something different.  Malachi Dupri was also impressive to me.  Also, it seems like Clay is going to be a huge part of this offense.

- I think Daboll’s offense is going to be fun to watch.  Lots of different looks out there including some RPO mixed in.

-  Shady didn’t play all that much it seemed (at least in 11 on 11’s), but he flashed his typical electric stuff out there when he got touches.  The guy definitely still has “it.”  I could see him playing 2-3 more years easily if he stays healthy.  Chris Ivory is sneaky fast.  Had an awesome run off tackle that would have gone for a long TD.  Absolutely smoked the secondary.

-  Harrison Phillips seemed to play a lot of 1 tech today.  Mainly occupied the center and OG, which was good, but I hope they have broader plans for him.

- I think Wyatt Teller is going to be very tough to keep off the field.  He played the entire time with the 2nd team at RG, as John Miller played with the 1st team (and looked good).  I didn’t pay close enough attention to evaluate him in pass protection, but it was difficult to not notice him in run blocking.  The guy is an absolute bulldozer, and is really good at getting to the second level.  As I mentioned earlier, he was absolutely hilarious when he was signing autographs.  Great guy.

That’s about all that comes to mind right now.  Wish I was able to take notes, but I was really enjoying spending time with my son.  He has always loves the Bills, but now he is old enough to really appreciate and understand the game.  I’m absolutely hooked now....can’t wait for the first preseason game!!!

Go Bills!!

Love hearing all this good stuff about Wyatt Teller! I am really rooting for him to become a legitimate starter on the O-line...if he pans out this could really turn out to be one of our best drafts of all-time 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Love hearing all this good stuff about Wyatt Teller! I am really rooting for him to become a legitimate starter on the O-line...if he pans out this could really turn out to be one of our best drafts of all-time 

He definitely plays with a mean streak similar to Richie Incognito, and he looks humungous out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He definitely plays with a mean streak similar to Richie Incognito, and he looks humungous out there.

I'm curious what kind of things was he saying that made him so hilarious?  He seems like he could be a character(in a good way)

10 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm curious what kind of things was he saying that made him so hilarious?  He seems like he could be a character(in a good way)

A few things, actually.  I could hear people laughing and lots of back and forth banter as he made his way toward where my son was standing.  Most of the guys just say a few words, sign something, and move on down the line.

While he was signing a jersey for a guy right near us, there were SJF employees throwing t-shirts into the crowd.  One of the guys threw a bullet right in our direction.  Everyone near us put their hands up to catch it, but my son (8 yrs old) put his right hand up and miraculously snared it out of mid-air.  It was pretty cool.  Wyatt turned to my son, laughed out loud, and said something to the effect of “holy crap kid...you have better hands than most of our receivers” which drew a big laugh from the crowd.

Then, a couple fans asked him for his gloves, and he happily handed them over.  After that a female fan said “Hey Wyatt, can I have one of your cleats?”  He replied (and again I’m paraphrasing) “Oh please don’t make me do that.  That wouldn’t be a good thing for either of us.  It’s pretty hot out here and my feet are smelly.”  Again getting a big laugh from the crowd.  He just seemed like a really kind, likeable guy.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Joe B said Vlad was looking good at LG so far.

I thought the whole first team o-line looked very good, actually.  Especially for this stage in the preseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Very early but this draft looking like we added a

Been saying since last year , Hughes numbers didn't reflect his play at all , in his prime and with an upgraded line the numbers should show that this year, one of the most underrated DE in league imo

There were games he completely disappeared. That can't happen again. Murphy could help that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is our offensive talent this year somehow worse than last year when we made the playoffs?

54 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

There were games he completely disappeared. That can't happen again. Murphy could help that.

I thought he was pretty consistent as far as pressure , but teams didn't have to worry about pressure from their right edge with Shaq and Davis consistently innefective at creating it.. I mean no pass rusher is going to be a force every game obviously, but I thought Hughes was pretty consistent at getting pressure , and because of the lack of pressure elsewhere gave the illusion that he was ineffective in many games. He also has gotten fantastic at stopping the run.. 

I thought he was just as good as 2014 (last time in 43) when he had 10 sacks, but then he had a prime Super Mario opposite him . With Murphy I expect them to compliment each other very well and Hughes will have a monster year, along with Murphy.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Too many actually?  Sal C has tweeted that filming is prohibited during team drills?

Not that I'm above watching them whether or not they're allowed but....

Media can't record during practices, fans can (thats where these videos come from)

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is our offensive talent this year somehow worse than last year when we made the playoffs?

Yes. QB is a major question mark no matter who wins the job. The OL talent is worse with the loss of Wood and Richie Incognito.  The WR corps also looks shaky with the only established NFL caliber target being Benjamin.  

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes. QB is a major question mark no matter who wins the job. The OL talent is worse with the loss of Wood and Richie Incognito.  The WR corps also looks shaky with the only established NFL caliber target being Benjamin.  

QB was a major question mark last year, agreed about o-line but from all indications Vlad and Miller are looking like world beaters early lol...WR is same as it was last year. 

Personally I think this years offense and last years have the same talent, with this years O having the advantage of hopefully a good OC with fresh ideas instead of same ole same ole from the last retread 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

QB was a major question mark last year, agreed about o-line but from all indications Vlad and Miller are looking like world beaters early lol...WR is same as it was last year. 

Personally I think this years offense and last years have the same talent, with this years O having the advantage of hopefully a good OC with fresh ideas instead of same ole same ole from the last retread 

How so?

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

How so?

as stated above, we have much of the same personnel. We upgraded the RB room, WR is the same, TE the same, o-line looks to be a possible issue, but as I said, after four days of camp all reports on wood/incog replacements have been playing well in the middle. As far as QB goes, it couldn't get any worse from TT (handicapped the offense by never throwing the football). So the way I see it, essentially same talent on offense...hopefully with Daboll's offense it will actually utilize the talent correctly and we can see a better offense.

Obviously it all falls on the QB though, if the QB sucks, the offense will suck (see TT last year)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

as stated above, we have much of the same personnel. We upgraded the RB room, WR is the same, TE the same, o-line looks to be a possible issue, but as I said, after four days of camp all reports on wood/incog replacements have been playing well in the middle. As far as QB goes, it couldn't get any worse from TT (handicapped the offense by never throwing the football). So the way I see it, essentially same talent on offense...hopefully with Daboll's offense it will actually utilize the talent correctly and we can see a better offense.

Obviously it all falls on the QB though, if the QB sucks, the offense will suck (see TT last year)

The OL can definitely be worse just as QB can (See LA Chargers Game from 2017).   Even if WR is the same, it was poor last year. The same isn't a given based on players currently on the team.  As mediocre as Taylor often was, you are deluding yourself if you think QB can't be worse in 2018 with the current three that are vying for the job. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The OL can definitely be worse just as QB can (See LA Chargers Game from 2017).   Even if WR is the same, it was poor last year. The same isn't a given based on players currently on the team.  As mediocre as Taylor often was, you are deluding yourself if you think QB can't be worse in 2018 with the current three that are vying for the job. 

Call me crazy but I will take the chance on the unknown even if it means 5 INTs (peterman wont be the starter, and even if he is, those 5 INTs were a flukey thing) vs. a for sure 180 yard passing day with 15 3 and outs....I didn't hate TT originally, but it was painfully obvious during last year that he was not capable of attempting to make plays with his arm, and that's what QB needs to do. You are correct, the QB can be worse as far as TO's are concerned, but not from a "trying to be better" standpoint. I hope McCarron/Allen take chances with the ball in order to make plays, even if that means an almost guarantee uptick in TO's. 

Position by position I really don't see any downgrade in talent, except potentially o-line. Time will tell if Vlad/Bodine-Groy can do the same job as Richie and Wood - so far so good this early. 

I agree with what you said about last years offense...it wasn't good. Thats why I view this year as essentially the same from a talent stand point. When you suck, its either status quo and you still suck (whether your team ranks 25th or dead last, you still suck), or there's room for improvement. I'm betting on the combination of getting decent QB play from McCarron/Allen and Daboll's offense which will lead to a more productive offense this year. 

14 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

You are deluded if you think that things can't get worse than Taylor

We saw what happened with Peterman. We are already seeing his flaws in 11 on 11. 

Just now, PaattMaann said:

Call me crazy but I will take the chance on the unknown even if it means 5 INTs (peterman wont be the starter, and even if he is, those 5 INTs were a flukey thing) vs. a for sure 180 yard passing day with 15 3 and outs....I didn't hate TT originally, but it was painfully obvious during last year that he was not capable of attempting to make plays with his arm, and that's what QB needs to do. You are correct, the QB can be worse as far as TO's are concerned, but not from a "trying to be better" standpoint. I hope McCarron/Allen take chances with the ball in order to make plays, even if that means an almost guarantee uptick in TO's. 

Position by position I really don't see any downgrade in talent, except potentially o-line. Time will tell if Vlad/Bodine-Groy can do the same job as Richie and Wood - so far so good this early. 

I agree with what you said about last years offense...it wasn't good. Thats why I view this year as essentially the same from a talent stand point. When you suck, its either status quo and you still suck (whether your team ranks 25th or dead last, you still suck), or there's room for improvement. I'm betting on the combination of getting decent QB play from McCarron/Allen and Daboll's offense which will lead to a more productive offense this year. 

Okay. You're crazy!

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think having daboll as oc is our biggest off season gain. If he backs up his talk we can have a decent offense. Dennison was so bad 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I think having daboll as oc is our biggest off season gain. If he backs up his talk we can have a decent offense. Dennison was so bad 

Looks like he'll be a significant upgrade who will hopefully design and scheme the offense to take advantage of player strengths and exploit match ups on a weekly basis.  

• Like (+1) 2