ESPN 7/27

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

22nd in points last year, so there are 10 spots to move down.

Lofty positioning. That's not falling off a cliff, it'd be like tripping on your kid's toy truck on the bottom step.

Edit: also of note, the running game is pretty much intact, yes?

Edited by joesixpack

Just now, joesixpack said:

Lofty positioning. That's not falling off a cliff, it'd be like tripping on your kid's toy truck on the bottom step.

:rolleyes:

No one is claiming it's lofty.  The point is, it can get significantly worse. 

You can indeed trip on your kid's toy truck on the stairs and have your life get significantly worse, believe me.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

22nd in points last year, so there are 10 spots to move down.

Our defense provided a lot of those points via scoring themselves or putting our offense in scoring position.   

It certainly wasn’t due to our offense marching 80 yards down the field with any semblance of regularity. 

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Our oline is worse, Shady is over/ possibly might get suspended, and Mobile qbs help the running attack.

i mean it’s hard to imagine a worse offense but it’s not a given to improve. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Our defense provided a lot of those points via scoring themselves or putting our offense in scoring position.   

It certainly wasn’t due to our offense marching 80 yards down the field with any semblance of regularity. 

Oh, come now.  Last I looked, points were points.  You need them to win games. 

If your team scores them, they don't depreciate or come with an asterisk because your offense only moved 40 yards instead of 80 or because they kicked a field goal instead of throwing an INT from the opponents 30 yard line.

I honestly trust almost everybodys opinion on here over national media.. They have no clue and really how could they? 

As for the offense , just the little I saw in practice , as far as motion, rpo , and slants even have me thinking this unit can surpass a truly awful and mind boggling OC and QB , strictly off much improved play calling. Dennison was awful , and Shady,Clay and a much improved looking KB are legit weapons ,with the other WR just not having opportunities to produce.. Taylor has to be the or one of the worse anticipation passers in the league.

I rematched the Jax game , the play calling and Tyrod were in pre season form, just abysmal, Shady was the best player on the field and just a force.. based off addition by subtraction , there's a very good chance we improve on O.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:rolleyes:

No one is claiming it's lofty.  The point is, it can get significantly worse. 

You can indeed trip on your kid's toy truck on the stairs and have your life get significantly worse, believe me.

Hausch was a huge part of that too

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That she is, she is also hot, i think she does a great on Highly Questionable, an incredibly stupid show that i enjoy the hell out of.

That’s because he gave her that exclusive interview last year for ESPN the magazine 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Yes, it was the time to move on.  A blind man could have seen how totally ineffective he was.  Stop his runs, make him pass, win the game is the totally effective and often repeated anti-Tyrod game plan.  He was totally outplayed by Blake Bortles in that game.  Blake Bortles. Time to try and be better, even if it is a temporary step back, which I am not yet convinced it is.

The blind man I guess didn’t realize they were in the playoffs.  Listen there is nothing wrong with trying to find a better qb.  I just don’t agree that he was terrible and that taking a step back is progress somehow. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If your team scores them, they don't depreciate or come with an asterisk because your offense only moved 40 yards instead of 80 or because they kicked a field goal instead of throwing an INT from the opponents 30 yard line.

Our Defense scored a whopping 2 TDs last season, and was ranked 10th for takeaways. But as you know, last year's roster only had 1 problem. Everything else was stellar.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They don’t, you’re correct, but I’d rather not go into every game knowing our defense needs to get 3 turnovers and hold the opponent to under 16 points for our Tyrod-led offense to have a chance.  

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

We had the 31st ranked passing attack. I highly doubt we're going to "regress" at that position.

it's kind of an honor that the national media even recogs the Bills exist

52 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I think we should have just kept Tyrod and lived with the 31st passing attacking in the NFL because I am afraid we might throw more INT"S, please give me a break.

You’re putting words in my mouth.  Where did I say we should’ve kept Tyrod?  Anywhere, at any time.  Never once have I said that.  I wanted him gone and to get a great pick for him was even better.  

I was responding to someone saying that our passing attack likely won’t be worse than last year.  I disagree.  I think our passing attack will be worse than last year.  I hope I’m wrong

Just now, NewEra said:

You’re putting words in my mouth.  Where did I say we should’ve kept Tyrod?  Anywhere, at any time.  Never once have I said that.  I wanted him gone and to get a great pick for him was even better.  

I was responding to someone saying that our passing attack likely won’t be worse than last year.  I disagree.  I think our passing attack will be worse than last year.  I hope I’m wrong

Hard to be worse than 31st in yards, 27th in TDs, 28th in net yards/attempt, and 30th in passing first downs IMO.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m so not a Tyrod fan but:

1) Tyrod threw 14 ints in 3 years. Peterman threw 5 in a half.

2) Josh Allen averaged less yards than Tyrod did last year in the MWC.

3) There wasn’t exactly a frenzy for AJ McCarron on the open market.

4) Daboll’s passing offense has been some of the worst in the nfl

5) our oline might be worse

again, I would like to hope we improve on our passing offense.  But it’s not a given.  I was very ready to move on from Tyrod but we have 3 question marks at qb.  Tyrod isn’t a star but you know what you were getting and he took care of the ball.  We have no idea with these guys, good or bad.

Allen threw for 64 yards against Oregon and 70 against Air Force (in a win!).  

I'm not talking about college players, I'm talking about NFL players.

Whataboutism isnt really my area of expertise, but I was discussing Tyrod and his deficiencies.

1) Peterman was a fifth rounder who was forced into action because Tyrod wasnt getting it done. Tyrods gunshy reluctancy to throw the ball into tight windows makes his turnover numbers look terrific, but it's the NFL you need to make NFL throws, something Tyrod seldom did. Evident by targeting Benjamin only twice in the playoffs, meanwhile Benjamin had his most targets as a Bill in the SnowBowl with PETERMAN AND WEBB at QB. Tyrod was overly conservative with the football and that's not how you win games in the NFL. I'll gladly take a couple more picks if it meant he displayed more anticipation and ability to read a defense. Turnovers are inevitable, and obviously you want to limit them, but you need to give your playmakers a chance to make plays.

2) Allen played in ten games last year and averaged five yards less a game with half the attempts 270 to Tyrods 420. Tyrod also had the likes of Benjamin, Clay, Matthews, and arguably a top five RB in the league. Allen, not so much. Allen was also considered by many a first round talent, Tyrod coming out was considered best suited for a different position and went in 6th round. Moreover, getting Tyrod didnt prevent the Browns from drafting a QB first overall.

3) What does AJ McCarron have to do with Tyrod?

4) What does Daboll have to do with Tyrod?

5) The line being worse actually stands to show that Tyrod more often than not wasted good protection because he couldnt read a defense.

Edited by BillsFan17

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

No.  We lost Cog, Wood, and Tyrod.  The running game is not intact.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Our oline is worse, Shady is over/ possibly might get suspended, and Mobile qbs help the running attack.

i mean it’s hard to imagine a worse offense but it’s not a given to improve. 

Why is it hard to imagine?  What kind of Buffalo sports fan does not understand that things can always get worse and often do?  How many times do you guys need to witness ****ty situations get even worse before you can accept that its not only possible but actually likely?

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Hard to be worse than 31st in yards, 27th in TDs, 28th in net yards/attempt, and 30th in passing first downs IMO.

The only reason I think we might be better is due to not having Dennison anymore.  These current QBs with Dennison could have been historically bad. 

That being said, our OL and WRs are most likely worse than last year and I can guarantee that we throw more picks

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They don’t, you’re correct, but I’d rather not go into every game knowing our defense needs to get 3 turnovers and hold the opponent to under 16 points for our Tyrod-led offense to have a chance.  

And yet we managed to achieve 9 wins and a playoff appearance last year while our defense only achieved 18 INTs, a bit more than 1 per game.

Who knew?

Look, no one is trying to argue that last year's offense was stellar - it was not.  But let's not go over the top making claims as though it was the D always scoring points and enabling the offense.  They weren't.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Let's forget about Tyrod a moment. Or, better yet, forever.

Do you feel the loss of Incognito and Wood is THAT severe an issue?

I do, yes.  If no other reason, continuity is of high importance on the OL, and we certainly lack that!

Just now, joesixpack said:

Let's forget about Tyrod a moment. Or, better yet, forever.

Do you feel the loss of Incognito and Wood is THAT severe an issue?

Tyrod runs for a lot of yards.  He needs to be accounted for in production and defenses dedicate a safety/LB to containing him.  Get ready to see one more man in the box who is free to attack the LOS.

Yes, losing two pro bowl caliber OLinemen and our best run blocker and replacing them with nothing is a big issue.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And yet we managed to achieve 9 wins and a playoff appearance last year while our defense only achieved 18 INTs, a bit more than 1 per game.

Who knew?

Look, no one is trying to argue that last year's offense was stellar - it was not.  But let's not go over the top making claims as though it was the D always scoring points and enabling the offense.  They weren't.

We were top 12 in scoring 2 of the past 3 years for chrissake

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Tyrod runs for a lot of yards.  He needs to be accounted for in production and defenses dedicate a safety/LB to containing him.  Get ready to see one more man in the box who is free to attack the LOS.

Yes, losing two pro bowl caliber OLinemen and our best run blocker and replacing them with nothing is a big issue.

Color me terrified.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The National Media has such a weird idea of what Tyrod Taylor is.  One would think that after the Nationally Televised Playoff Game at Jacksonville, they would see what we’ve seen for years, but apparently not.  

AJ McCarron is basically a less mobile/better passing Tyrod Taylor aka “Game Manager”.  

I'm sorry but why is this such a recurring "fact" on this board? How is this true in any sense of the word? In 2015 when he started 4 games with AJ Green, Mohammad Sanu, Marvin Jones, AND Tyler Eifert (that blows the holy freaking doors off this group), he averaged 212 yards passing and 1.5 TDs per game. That is almost identical Tyrod with 9 extra yards WITHOUT any of the running. They also had one hell of an offensive line that year. 

Edited by Elite Poster

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Dismiss all the facts and blindly believe that anything is better than Tyrod.  Can't get any worse amirite??!?!? AMIRIGHT?!?!?

From a passing perspective? No, it literally can't get any worse than Tyrod.

You may have valid concerns in the run game. But you're taking an extreme stance that in no way shape or form that Wood's and Incognito's replacements can't at least play on an even level.

You have no proof to back that opinion up, only FEELS.

America. !@#$ yeah.

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

We had the 31st ranked passing attack. I highly doubt we're going to "regress" at that position.

They might not regress as far as passing production is concerned, but clearly have the potential to regress from the perspective of offensive turnovers.  The Bills were 4th in the NFL in turnovers with only 16.  I'm 100% with you that they're not going to be even more anemic moving the ball downfield.  I'm glad that Captain Checkdown is wearing orange this season.

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You may have valid concerns in the run game. But you're taking an extreme stance that in no way shape or form that Wood's and Incognito's replacements can't at least play on an even level.

America. !@#$ yeah.

Honestly, I feel like Incognito and Wood regressed quite a bit last season...

Wood was abused routinely and Incognito was seemingly good for at least one holding penalty a game, which is a clear sign of losing a step at LG where you generally aren't blocking guys in front of you...he just wasn't getting to his spot fast enough.

The Bills might miss their leadership, but their on-field play wasn't what it once was...whether it was old age or scheme?  Not sure

Edited by Mikey152

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

America. !@#$ yeah.

Extreme stance? 

I said the run game is not intact and supported my opinion with simple facts which seems to have upset you greatly (talk about feels).  What evidence do you have that Ducasse and Bodine/Groy are capable of playing anywhere near "even" with Cog and Wood?   If they are up to the task where have they been hiding all this ability and why?

Your whole argument is "Can't get any worse???".  Even the most casual of Buffalo sports followers should understand how wrong that sentiment is. 

1 minute ago, Mikey152 said:

Honestly, I feel like Incognito and Wood regressed quite a bit last season...

Wood was abused routinely and Incognito was seemingly good for at least one holding penalty a game, which is a clear sign of losing a step at LG where you generally aren't blocking guys in front of you...he just wasn't getting to his spot fast enough.

This. Wood/Incognito were likely gone after this season, IMO. Wood MAY have stuck around because of the two-year deal, but I doubt it. But to write off the OL after one (1) training camp practice seems a bit much to me.

• Like (+1) 1

If the pundits are going to be consistent they should be hammering the Chiefs waaaaaay harder than the Bills. Smith is essentially Taylor 2.0 with much more of a track record in the league and was replaced by a guy in Mahomes who's got at least as many question marks as Allen. 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What evidence do you have that Ducasse and Bodine/Groy are capable of playing anywhere near "even" with Cog and Wood?   If they are up to the task where have they been hiding all this ability and why?

Groy was inexplicably stuck on a depth chart. When Wood was out, what was it...two seasons ago...he performed VERY well at center.

I contend he should have been starting at RG last year.

I don't know enough about Bodine to formulate judgement...and if you're being honest, neither do you.

Ducasse? Yeah, I'll give you he's sketchy, though he did improve through the course of last season.

Aaaaand furthermore...the topic of this thread is "worst team in the AFCE." How anyone can come out and say the Jets or even the Dolphins will be better than Buffalo when BOTH those teams have some really glaring issues as bad if not worse than the Bills is beyond me.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I heard the three predict the Bills as being the worst in the AFC East, the the lady, Mines? said something to the effect Bills might not win a game and was talking about Allen sailing some easy passes, cleary see isnt a fan.   Also said Allen of all the new QBs has the worst situation to try and succeed with bad OL, WRs, and TE.

Also said the Pats had the easiest schedule last year and probability have the easiest schedule again this year. 

There is nothing easy in the NFL...The Pats deserve their wins.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

My bad, you're right.  I didn't see that you were responding to another post.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

But why does AJ need to be Brady Jr or Allen, Big Ben?   Like someone mentioned above, give us Josh McCown against Jax and we are winning that playoff game.  

Yea, no interceptions are cool and all, but scoring 10-13 points per game on offense and incessantly going 3 and out wasn’t exactly helping us either.  

A good point was made to ponder...if Josh mc cown had played that Jax. Game we probably would have won ....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eee1776 said:

I watched the Jax playoff game again , and I counted 2 or 3 touchdown passes that Tyrod missed an open receiver.

Thank god that nightmare is over 

Can’t wait to hear him cry about race when he loses his job with the browns 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eee1776 said:

I watched the Jax playoff game again , and I counted 2 or 3 touchdown passes that Tyrod missed an open receiver.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I rematched the Jax game , the play calling and Tyrod were in pre season form, just abysmal, Shady was the best player on the field and just a force.. based off addition by subtraction , there's a very good chance we improve on O.

Hausch was a huge part of that too

I saw the replay last week. The end of the game was tough listening to Romo. What was that again, Cover 4, COVER 4!