Street & Smith has Bills 2nd in AFCE in annual preview magazine

Thread title says it.

I think this is more of a testament to their belief that the AFC East will be mediocre with the Bills and Jets breaking in rookie QBs and Tannehill coming back from a serious knee injury.

Long story short: They don't have the Bills grabbing one of the Wild Cards (Titans and Chiefs) but say they could contend in 2019 when all the dead cap money comes off the books. Defense should be improved and a lot of questions on an offense which will be carried by Shady (as we all know).

Just thought this was interesting when juxtaposed with all the other experts predicting 2-14 records and #1 overall picks. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

If we have 2 wins and come in second, that means bad things for the Jests and Dolphins! 

...and we lose the draft again.....

I actually see this as realistic. 

That would be an epic retirement gift for Brady in that scenario. Could probably sit out those games and the Pats would still win.

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

If we have 2 wins and come in second, that means bad things for the Jests and Dolphins! 

...and we lose the draft again.....

I actually see this as realistic. 

Probably have to go 5-11 to finish second

10 hours ago, steven50 said:

I see a top 10 D this year. The offense I am not so sure about. But I think our D will be good

Yep.  The performance of the D is somewhat predictable - we know the scheme and we know the players.  Barring injury, it should be a good unit.

The O?  Who knows?  We're not sure of the scheme or the QB.  In fact, there are questions all over the place on the offensive side.  

I don't think Street & Smith has any better idea how it'll all play out than we do.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, EersN'Bills said:

Thread title says it.

I think this is more of a testament to their belief that the AFC East will be mediocre with the Bills and Jets breaking in rookie QBs and Tannehill coming back from a serious knee injury.

Long story short: They don't have the Bills grabbing one of the Wild Cards (Titans and Chiefs) but say they could contend in 2019 when all the dead cap money comes off the books. Defense should be improved and a lot of questions on an offense which will be carried by Shady (as we all know).

Just thought this was interesting when juxtaposed with all the other experts predicting 2-14 records and #1 overall picks. 

And like those other experts, are we going to hold Street & Smith accountable if the Bills don't finish at least 2nd in the ACFE?

In the last 3 seasons, we've seen a 10-6 Jets team; a 10-6 Dolphins team; and a 9-7 Bills team finish second in the AFC East.  The Dolphins not drafting QB was as perplexing as picking up Brock Osweiler and Frank Gore.  With Suh, Timmons, and Pouncey gone, they look to be in full rebuild mode.  The Jets are just as interesting as the Bills in terms of player turnover and their QB situation.  I honestly believe that whichever teams DST plays best is the team that finishes 2nd in the AFC East.

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Street and Smith. Now there's a publication from the past that I haven't looked at or thought of in many years.

They were published as Sporting News for like a decade. The Street & Smith name was revived last year.

11 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

In the last 3 seasons, we've seen a 10-6 Jets team; a 10-6 Dolphins team; and a 9-7 Bills team finish second in the AFC East.  The Dolphins not drafting QB was as perplexing as picking up Brock Osweiler and Frank Gore.  With Suh, Timmons, and Pouncey gone, they look to be in full rebuild mode.  The Jets are just as interesting as the Bills in terms of player turnover and their QB situation.  I honestly believe that whichever teams DST plays best is the team that finishes 2nd in the AFC East.

I just think that the second half of the season will pump up the Bills win total. Anywhere from 6-8 wins I see. Between the Jets and Bills offenses, the difference is Shady. Jets don't have a player of his caliber on that side of the ball. As for the defenses, so many great Jets have left, though Leonard Williams is still there but Bowles always has that unit playing tough.  

4 minutes ago, eball said:

What's a "magazine?"

It's this thing made of a bunch of stapled together pages with words on them.

We will try to win every week this year.  McDermott proved that concept last season even as he made significant player changes.  McCarron will have an opportunity to prove he's a starting QB.  In the background we'll be developing a young QB.  McD has stated on multiple occasions he has a plan for Allen and the team has a lot of work to do.  

We have a young talented incomplete roster.   McD and Beane have a plan.  They will try to win every week,  let players compete for jobs,  develop players and continue to add the right players each year.  You know, like what the good programs do.  

• Like (+1) 1

Our defense will be ranked somewhere between 10-14. The offense will have growing pains and probably average 16-19 pts per game. I'm predicting 2nd place and 8-8. The following year with the addition of many FA's, will be a 10 win season and return to the playoffs. 

44 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The good ones have more pictures than words.

i still buy them for a reference place to keep the schedules for baseball and football (especially college), printing off the internet isn't quite the same

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Street and Smith. Now there's a publication from the past that I haven't looked at or thought of in many years.

Ha, as a kid, I used to wait with bated breath to read its gold standard baseball preview, and would occasionally check the football one too in college, but then I am in my 40s so, yes, I too haven't thought of or bought in over 20 years.

But 2nd sounds realistic (particularly given the likely distance between the Pats and Dolphins/Jets). 

39 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, I didn't know they still existed.

Same here.

34 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Ha, as a kid, I used to wait with bated breath to read its gold standard baseball preview, and would occasionally check the football one too in college, but then I am in my 40s so, yes, I too haven't thought of or bought in over 20 years.

But 2nd sounds realistic (particularly given the likely distance between the Pats and Dolphins/Jets). 

Not the ultimate goal obviously, but it'll be hard to knock NE from the throne with Brady still around. 

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i still buy them for a reference place to keep the schedules for baseball and football (especially college), printing off the internet isn't quite the same

I think the last magazine I bought was Nintendo power when I was a kid.

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think the last magazine I bought was Nintendo power when I was a kid.

the internet has eliminated most magazine purchases that i used to take for granted up to around 1998

still subscribe to book reviews and scholarly journals

trash has been completely replaced by the internet though...  :D

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

the internet has eliminated most magazine purchases that i used to take for granted up to around 1998

still subscribe to book reviews and scholarly journals

trash has been completely replaced by the internet though...  :D

At one point I was subscribed to shout magazine

Loved it

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our defense will be ranked somewhere between 10-14. The offense will have growing pains and probably average 16-19 pts per game. I'm predicting 2nd place and 8-8. The following year with the addition of many FA's, will be a 10 win season and return to the playoffs. 

I am thinking closer to 10 then 14 on the defensive ranking....but either way it is another big leap.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:23 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I had no idea it was still around. I remember looking forward to these annuals (baseball/football) hitting the newsstands when I was a kid. That was ... a long time ago.