Daboll: Blocking Scheme, Approach to the Game

Watched Murph today with Daboll , I'm impressed and optimistic. 

Side note 

“They’re great. They’re two great dudes,” said McCarron. “Nate is a walking angel, and he’s one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Josh has been awesome to work with, and I’ve been trying to help him in every way I can. But we have a really good room. It’s a fun thing to be a part of.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Bills-QBs-work-together-during-open-competition/e960b3e4-2bfd-4442-95f3-01b82d62fbde

21 minutes ago, ALF said:

Side note 

“They’re great. They’re two great dudes,” said McCarron. “Nate is a walking angel, and he’s one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Josh has been awesome to work with, and I’ve been trying to help him in every way I can. But we have a really good room. It’s a fun thing to be a part of.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Bills-QBs-work-together-during-open-competition/e960b3e4-2bfd-4442-95f3-01b82d62fbde

I like this, seems like three guys competing for the role, but willing to help each other. Maybe there is a silver lining in not having an entrenched starter. A QB room with a known competition for the starting position, but egos left at the door. That kind of cooperation and leadership should help set a tone for the team and seems to fit McDermott's vision.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Why would an offense run only one type of scheme?  That would be unwise.

Probably more difficult to integrate multiple schemes

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Think the better question for Dabol would be, what is the base scheme or go to scheme based on your current players strengths

or will it be based on your opponents weaknesses? that could be pretty awesome, in theory. spending the week focusing on how best to attack, and exploit, your opponents. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

or will it be based on your opponents weaknesses? that could be pretty awesome, in theory. spending the week focusing on how best to attack, and exploit, your opponents. 

This is how it should always be.

People always try to make football harder than it has to be. It’s a pretty simple game.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

That’s great but at the same time it’s trying to have your linemen learn many different duties. If they can’t master 1, they won’t all master 2 or 3. 

Right on.  In an ideal world, the OL (who are often some of the smartest guys on the team) are able to learn different skills well enough to react as rapidly with all of them.  But it's better to do one thing well, than try to run 2 or 3 schemes all badly.

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is how it should always be.

People always try to make football harder than it has to be. It’s a pretty simple game.

well, we've certainly seen what happens when people try really hard to be the smartest guy in the room. you can end up getting the wind taken right out of your sails.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

That’s great but at the same time it’s trying to have your linemen learn many different duties. If they can’t master 1, they won’t all master 2 or 3. 

If they can't master one they most likely aren't playing in the NFL.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was just going to say the same thing.  Why would an offense run only one type of scheme?  That would be unwise.

Maybe so the players could get it down to second nature and perform it flawlessly. An O-line has to function as a precision unit. 

If you could just mix and match at will, more teams would do it.