Kim Pegula on a New Stadium: "I Don't Even Know If We Can Get There"

8 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Sounds like the baby steps of moving the team.  Saw the same thing with Chargers (I live in Southern California).  Spanos kept saying it can’t be done even though he had options.  His option A was too lofty to achieve and decided to go.  Planned failure with built in excuse to leave. 

The Q didn’t have a single update in over 20 years and makes The Ralph look like Jerry World. 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

The Q didn’t have a single update in over 20 years and makes The Ralph look like Jerry World. 

The Q was bad.  No doubt.  If there was a team that had a legitimate need for a new stadium it was the Chargers.   But Spanos had little interest in staying.  Looked for the hardest option to achieve and it gave him out to leave when it couldn’t get done. 

9 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Sounds like the baby steps of moving the team.  Saw the same thing with Chargers (I live in Southern California).  Spanos kept saying it can’t be done even though he had options.  His option A was too lofty to achieve and decided to go.  Planned failure with built in excuse to leave. 

You really can't compare the two. The Chargers old stadium was far far worse than New Era Field. They HAD to move, the Bills WANT to move, big difference.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

You really can't compare the two. The Chargers old stadium was far far worse than New Era Field. They HAD to move, the Bills WANT to move, big difference.

Sure I can. The Chargers wanted to move.  Plain and simple.   The value of the team increased a lot with move to LA.

But They didn’t have to move.  They could have got a new stadium in the County.  

2 hours ago, mileena said:

Nothing wrong?? I guess you don't care about the safety of the fans. Per SiriusXM NFL radio, NFL stadiums go bad after 30 years. For New Era, the physical structure is crumbling. If they don't build a new stadium in 10 y ars, I would rather have the team move to LA, where fans would appreciate them. Buffalonians don't deserve a team due to lack of support.

Aye-o! Take it easy there, blasphemer...

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

The Green Bay Packers and KC Chiefs play in two of the oldest stadiums and are pretty competitive.

With extensive renovation we can compare to KC, Green Bay is on a different level revenue wise.

The Bills are not secure long-term in Buffalo until a new stadium is built or extensive renovations are made. 

Kim saying Buffalo can't afford the modern NFL should concern everyone. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I like New Era the way it is - never once felt that bells and whistles would add to the experience. In fact, the "old school" atmosphere of the place is one of it's charms - very Buffalo, in a good way.

22 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

I like New Era the way it is - never once felt that bells and whistles would add to the experience. In fact, the "old school" atmosphere of the place is one of it's charms - very Buffalo, in a good way.

It’s not about “adding to the experience” it is about “adding to the bottom line.”

47 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

With extensive renovation we can compare to KC, Green Bay is on a different level revenue wise.

The Bills are not secure long-term in Buffalo until a new stadium is built or extensive renovations are made. 

Kim saying Buffalo can't afford the modern NFL should concern everyone. 

While it is concerning, their investments in WNY pretty much assure the team’s future there. This, to me, is the natural next step to the stadium being built. It is posturing. She’s just saying “we aren’t paying for it ourselves.” There will be some back and forth and at the end of the day it will work out. The team, the state (or county) and fans will fund it it. 

She is correct though that this is essential. The Bills cannot remain viable long-term playing at New Era as is presently constructed. The stadium yields a fraction of the revenue of other venues around the country. Every year that is the case, the gap widens betweens the Bills and every other team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

While it is concerning, their investments in WNY pretty much assure the team’s future there. This, to me, is the natural next step to the stadium being built. It is posturing. She’s just saying “we aren’t paying for it ourselves.” There will be some back and forth and at the end of the day it will work out. The team, the state (or county) and fans will fund it it. 

She is correct though that this is essential. The Bills cannot remain viable long-term playing at New Era as is presently constructed. The stadium yields a fraction of the revenue of other venues around the country. Every year that is the case, the gap widens betweens the Bills and every other team in the league.

Nail.  Head.  I read the interview, saw this thread and thought "10 pages?  Really?"  The gist of her interview was "talk to me in a couple of years after we figure out who's going to pay for this thing."

If it weren't for NY state having such high taxes and construction costs, it'd be a done deal by now.

Plenty of new stadiums in the last 10 years have gone up for under $1 Billion, it's just that they have the luxury of not being located in New York. 

$1.4 Billion for a new stadium is absurd for Buffalo. Metlife was $1.6 Billion, and was the most expensive stadium ever built (but also had 2 teams paying for it), yet a new stadium for the Bills would cost $1.4 Billion???? That's just unnecessary. 

13 hours ago, HansLanda said:

The money will not be an issue if the Bills have themselves a bonafide franchise QB and is, in turn, a perennial playoff team. 

I doubt it. There were empty seats during the glory years while going to 4 straight Super Bowls, especially in the winter. And with Buffalo being even smaller now, it's unlikely we'd get much better turnout with higher prices.

Would be nice if another billionaire could be a minor owner and help pay for a new stadium when the time comes.

I would be ok with keep renovating New Era if the structure is sound.

The price tag for the new Los Angeles Rams stadium under construction in Los Angeles has reached $4.25 billion, according to L.A. Biz. The figure includes the cost of a 6,000-seat amphitheater next to the stadium, but a planned buildout of retail and commercial development is likely to push the project past the $5 billion mark.

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/4b-plus-los-angeles-stadium-could-be-countrys-most-expensive-yet/523790/

Las Vegas

Construction of the $1.8 billion stadium began in September 2017 and is expected to be completed in time for the 2020 NFL season.

The financing for the project is expected to come in the form of $750 million in public funding and $1.1 billion from the Raiders.[47] The public portion of the funding will come from municipal bonds issued by Clark County

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Stadium

Edited by ALF