Incognito placed on psychiatric hold, cops called in gym altercation

cudi

The guy has problems.  I hope he gets whatever treatment he needs so he can recover.  But this also suggests that Bills management may have known a lot more than any of us knew when they decided to cut ties.

Plus:  calling the guy a douche and trashing him basically says you've no sense of compassion.

10 hours ago, The_Dude said:

...Richie has ALWAYS been this way. Know what he reminds me of? Some of my army buddies head injuries. 

...how many concussions has Richie had? I wonder. And I don’t mean documented ones. I mean how many concussions since middle school has Richie had? I’m curious. 

It's a good question.  In terms of diagnosed, acknowledged concussions probably not many

But there's this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2014/10/17/offensive-linemen-are-the-football-players-most-likely-to-play-while-concussed-new-studies-show/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e9e2c59bb825

Whether it's primary, or subsequent to traumatic brain injury,  Incognito has openly acknowledged being treated for depression and being involuntarily committed to a facility for psychiatric treatment once before (in 2014).

If he's still taking psychoactive medications, it's pretty well known they don't play well with drinking shots of tequila 'til dawn or other recreational self-medication.

If he's not, maybe he needs to be.

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Theres no sense in cutting his pay and handing him a 7 figure pay check up front to force him out. You just cut him.

This

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

What’s my point? Seriously? Who are you, Mike Schopp?

Figure it out yourself.

Sorry, you must be too clever for me. 

LAMP post: wanting to be given credit for inferring some inside gouge without the scrutiny of actually putting it out there would be my first guess.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The guy has problems.  I hope he gets whatever treatment he needs so he can recover.  But this also suggests that Bills management may have known a lot more than any of us knew when they decided to cut ties.

Plus:  calling the guy a douche and trashing him basically says you've no sense of compassion.

OMG! He’s been doing this his whole life.  Why do people keep defending a guy who has been a terrible person most of his life?  Because he is a good blocker?

again,  if this is a one time thing like Zay Jones, I get compassion.  But this guy has been awful to a lot of people most of his life. Then, he took a giant ? on the Bills.  Stop defending him.  

That said, I hope he gets medicated Ike Tyson because that is a scary thought to have a large crazy man with not much to do walking around angry.

• Like (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

OMG! He’s been doing this his whole life.  Why do people keep defending a guy who has been a terrible person most of his life?  Because he is a good blocker?

again,  if this is a one time thing like Zay Jones, I get compassion.  But this guy has been awful to a lot of people most of his life. Then, he took a giant ? on the Bills.  Stop defending him.  

That said, I hope he gets medicated Ike Tyson because that is a scary thought to have a large crazy man with not much to do walking around angry.

Because there is something clearly wrong with him.  If he was just a jerk fine.  But everything from his conduct is consistent with him having some kind of mental and/or physical issue that needs to be addressed.

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

OMG! He’s been doing this his whole life. Why do people keep defending a guy who has been a terrible person most of his life?  Because he is a good blocker?

You are right that he has had issues most of his life. Those issues that relate to mental and psychiatric health have never been fully addressed. What's evident is that his behavior is erratic and potentially destructive to himself and others. He not only needs medical attention now but probably for the rest of his life. 

You bringing up how he treated the Bills has absolutely no relevancy to his situation. Whether he is with the Bills or not or whether he is in football or not he has obvious indications that there is a mental health/psychiatric issue afflicting him. That's the issue here: Someone who is not only now unhealthy but someone who will for the rest of his life have to deal with it. 

Your lack of compassion and empathy toward someone who clearly is troubled says a lot about you as a person. While this man glaringly needs help you are critical of him because he is no longer with the Bills. That is utter nonsense. Don't worry about the Bills. They'll survive whether he is with the team or not. The issue is whether this troubled individual can get the help he needs so that he can live. That's what at stake here: His life!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are right that he has had issues most of his life. Those issues that relate to mental and psychiatric health have never been fully addressed. What's evident is that his behavior is erratic and potentially destructive to himself and others. He not only needs medical attention now but probably for the rest of his life. 

You bringing up how he treated the Bills has absolutely no relevancy to his situation. Whether he is with the Bills or not or whether he is in football or not he has obvious indications that there is a mental health/psychiatric issue afflicting him. That's the issue here: Someone who is not only now unhealthy but someone who will for the rest of his life have to deal with it. 

Your lack of compassion and empathy toward someone who clearly is troubled says a lot about you as a person. While this man glaringly needs help you are critical of him because he is no longer with the Bills. That is utter nonsense. Don't worry about the Bills. They'll survive whether he is with the team or not. The issue is whether this troubled individual can get the help he needs so that he can live. That's what at stake here: His life!

Oh please. I’m one of the most compassionate person around.  However, if someone has treated people like scum most of his life, I don’t feel pity for him.  A lot of his political beliefs don’t believe in helping out others.  If he wasn’t in the nfl, he’d be in jail.  He has been given more chances than most human beings get in a lifetime to make a ton of money.

he doesn’t care about you.  He didn’t have like 7 people died that were close to him like Dareus (who a lot of posters talked a lot of crap about).  People treat RI better than they treat players who’s worst offense is taking a knee during the anthem. So sick of people’s double standards.

i don’t want him to die. I hope he gets help.  But I don’t feel pity for a guy who has ? on a lot of people in his life.  If this is Kyle Willams or Lorenzo Alexander, I’d feel terrible.  But things have a way of catching up to you when you treat people like crap most of your life. Save your pity for someone who actually deserves it.

• Like (+1) 3

It's kinda sad... someone mentioned autism, I don't think Richie has that... I'm not 100% on this but I think he may be diagnosed bipolar. After the whole Martin thing, he spent his year and a half away from football staying in shape but also in psychological/psychiatric treatment. There was a lengthy interview with him where he said he used the time away to address some internal issues he never really bothered to face. He said that he learned how to control his anger better, how to let go of situations that may have been upsetting in the moment but were insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure all of that stuff played a role in the Bills being comfortable enough to sign him.

I also think one of the reasons the Bills felt good about signing him was because of two guys on the team named Eric Wood and Kyle Williams. Wood has said he and Incognito became friends pretty much from day one when Richie came in. It's possible that Wood really helped keep the guy in line and now that he no longer has the locker room environment to be in and is presently unemployed and not playing the sport he's spent his entire life playing, it's probably making things tough on him mentally.

Still, you hope that he has the wherewithal to stop and realize how far he's come and catch himself before he does something lame like throw a dumbbell at someone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

He needs to follow-through with his initial desire and retire.  I doubt anyone takes a chance on him now.

I don’t think he had much desire to retire - and there is likely where part of the problem lies. He’s a mess and football has likely been among his only consistent rocks in life. Not only that, one where his off the wall behavior was remotely acceptable. As he meanders into civilization without purpose, there’s a good chance this gets worse not better. 

It's all speculation, but I also wonder if he agreed to that contract restructure under the impression that his agent told him something like, "Don't worry, they're just shuffling around money, you're still going to get paid what you're supposed to get paid." And then he signed, maybe the agent misinterpreted the language of the contract or perhaps the Bills were like, "Nah, we needed him to take a pay cut, we won't be making up for that cut in bonuses or anything" and that's what tipped Richie off, because after that, he fired his agent and started trying to play games with the Bills. 

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's all speculation, but I also wonder if he agreed to that contract restructure under the impression that his agent told him something like, "Don't worry, they're just shuffling around money, you're still going to get paid what you're supposed to get paid." And then he signed, maybe the agent misinterpreted the language of the contract or perhaps the Bills were like, "Nah, we needed him to take a pay cut, we won't be making up for that cut in bonuses or anything" and that's what tipped Richie off, because after that, he fired his agent and started trying to play games with the Bills. 

That would be a HUUUUUGE offense and MAJOR story. That is almost certainly not what happened. 

Instead of assuming that someone at the top of a complicated profession was either hopelessly incompetent or nefariously duped him - I’m going to stick with the guy that’s had decades of extremely erratic behavior is the person creating this erratic situation 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eric Wood?  The guy I referred to that way?  Well of course I don't know the man personally, but his life looks kinda normal from here.

Married six years, kids, charitable foundation in memory of his late brother, never in any trouble off field or in the locker room that's known.

His press conference on retirement was kinda bizarre but not bizarre enough to take away from the above IMO.  Oh, and I seem to recall some years back he expressed the desire to acquire a miniature pony.  Does that disqualify him?

Or, maybe you just weren't reading a post very carefully?

Perhaps not if you believe Incognito to not be a good family man. If that is your point I was mistaken. If you believe Incognito to be a good family man, than I was right.

So, please clarify for me.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess I'm not clear on the concern about "his whole life" bit.  Many mental health issues develop in a person's teens or twenties, and then persist through the person's entire life.  In certain forms, they make the person do terrible things and basically behave like a jerk.  Of course, sometimes jerks don't have medical diagnoses, they're just jerks.  But since Incognito has actually spoken publically about being treated for mental health issues, the benefit of the doubt seems called for.

I do see some people defending Incognito with regard to his contract - he didn't sign, he didn't understand, how dare the Bills, etc

I don't see anyone defending his erratic or threatening behavior outside the football field, but maybe I'm just missing it.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Perhaps not if you believe Incognito to not be a good family man. If that is your point I was mistaken. If you believe Incognito to be a good family man, than I was right.

So, please clarify for me.

I thought it was reasonably clear, but evidently I was mistaken.  Here it is again.

"Reasonably normal family man like Eric Wood" talks with relish about doing things on football field that are illegal in other contexts.

Richie Incognito (note: not referred to as "reasonably normal family man") does things that are considered illegal even on football field  - a place where, per Eric Wood, things are allowed that are "severely illegal" anywhere else.