An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

I seriously doubt that the Anthem had much to do with the decline in ratings.  The product is so watered down, players moving between teams, and so many officiating issues people are just bored.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, what an awful idea that would cause more headaches for them.

Football is the best sport in the world but the nfl might be the dumbest league next to the NHL.  So clueless.

Teams with no hope of the playoffs late in the season might feel as if there is nothing to lose by kneeling and take the proposed penalty. This could impact the odds on the newly legalized gambling.

The NFL is making it hard to not be skeptical, or so I think.

The easiest solution is the simplest one. Both teams in the locker room. Just like it was before 9/11 turned every sporting event into a show of unabashed patriotism 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, kota said:

I seriously doubt that the Anthem had much to do with the decline in ratings.  The product is so watered down, players moving between teams, and so many officiating issues people are just bored.  

For me, my personal decline in viewership is entirely officiating related.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JM57 said:

The easiest solution is the simplest one. Both teams in the locker room. Just like it was before 9/11 turned every sporting event into a show of unabashed patriotism 

What the??  How old are you? I’ve been attending sporting events for almost 50 years and I can’t recall a time when I wasn’t asked to stand and remove my hat for the playing of the national anthem. Heck, I wouldn’t know the words to O Canada if it wasn’t for this tradition! Stand up...and show some respect!

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For me, my personal decline in viewership is entirely officiating related.

Hapless...I would’ve said the same thing until I asked some people at my local gym last year. It wasn’t the officiating, it was indeed the kneeling! Some of these guys never watched a single snap after that whole thing started.

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What the??  How old are you? I’ve been attending sporting events for almost 50 years and I can’t recall a time when I wasn’t asked to stand and remove my hat for the playing of the national anthem. Heck, I wouldn’t know the words to O Canada if it wasn’t for this tradition! Stand up...and show some respect!

The NFL didn't even require players to be on the field for the National Anthem until 2010 before the government started paying the NFL to have them on the field for the anthem as a military recruitment tool.  I think that's what he's referencing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hapless...I would’ve said the same thing until I asked some people at my local gym last year. It wasn’t the officiating, it was indeed the kneeling! Some of these guys never watched a single snap after that whole thing started.

Players were in the locker rooms for the anthems prior to a certain point. Never said anything about the fans. Proof people just see what they want instead of reading carefully.

Edited by JM57

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Players and owners stand to lose money if the protests continue.   The problem is some of the players are too dumb to care about that so they had to bribe them.    Pretty much exactly how people handle 5 year olds.   

And 5 year olds repeat because it works. 

I sat in a restaurant with such a 5 year old.  Told my waiter I wanted to move because of it and was told there were no tables despite clearly being other tables unoccupied so I spoke to someone else and asked to speak to manager.   Told manager was cancelling orders for party due to child and waiter said there were no more tables.  Manager stated there were empty tables just not one waiter was serving so he apparently did not want to move us and lose tip.  He gave us a new table and a discount coupon.

55 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Players were in the locker rooms for the anthems prior to a certain point. Never said anything about the fans. Proof people just see what they want instead of reading carefully.

That simply isn’t true. I’ve been to games in multiple sports all across the country where players were on the field, the court, or the ice...long before 9/11.  So according to you the players aren’t protesting social justice. They’re really just annoyed that they have to be on the field while “a song” is played? 

Diversity and inclusion, when you kneel do it for me as well. I felt left out and I think a lot of other people did as well. A lot of people felt alienated. Learn a lesson about division because it's the very reason people protest in the first place.

Edited by Lfod

Just stop broadcasting the anthem or play it before the players come out on field.   I see no need to have anthem played at pro football games.  If they stop protests for this what comes next?

• Like (+1) 1