An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL didn't even require players to be on the field for the National Anthem until 2010 before the government started paying the NFL to have them on the field for the anthem as a military recruitment tool.  I think that's what he's referencing.

The more you repeat a lie the more it becomes true. Because this is a lie.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Seems like a reasonable compromise.

Anthem this!

Yet, approval and support of the NFL is falling fast and the majority of the fans dislike the protests... You relish it because you're unaware of ramifications and that's understandable. 

So, reality: this. (Hint, it's not you)

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I'm okay with the compromise, just not sure why the league didn't give all the power to the owners who are actually responsible for the actions of their employees. 

To avoid having one person be the face of the decision. The league is a decision of all teams and goodell is the lightning rod for good and bad.  The owners love him for it.

20 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

TV ratings were way down for Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night games.   If the trend continued it would mean a surefire end to the league.  Owners knew it, even though players seemed too stupid to know they were potentially killing their own golden calf. 

TV ratings were down across the board. Every single sport, every single network. This is fake news. Sunday Night Football was the most watched series in the country yet again. The top 7 most watched programs in the US this year were all NFL football. The NFL earned 1 billion more this year than the previous year from TV ads and viewership. Day 2 and 3 of the NFL draft beat last year's NBA finals.

Please use facts, not feelings.

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, JM57 said:

Once again, you are reading things that were not in my post. I said NOTHING about other sports, but you did. I said NOTHING about the fans, but you did. 

Prior to a certain point, in my lifetime, the NFL--and for the sake of clarity, I mean ONLY the NFL--had its players in the locker rooms during the anthems. At some point, whether it was post-9/11 as I said, or post 2010 when the military started throwing money to the league for shows of patriotism, it changed. That doesn't mean it hasn't changed back and forth in your lifetime. Maybe it has. But I am telling you in say, 1999, players were in locker rooms, and by 2011 they were not. It's unnecessary for them to be out there, especially when it's the simplest solution to this issue.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to 2010 teams were allowed to choose whether they went on the field for the anthem. 

Let's keep hyping this retarded them until we can give away millions and millions more to idiots like anquan boldin who will do so little in return for such a high price that it will continue to be a joke.

People just want this to go away.  Why can't we just forget it and it's bologna premise?  

POLICY STATEMENT

The 32 member clubs of the National Football League have reaffirmed their strong commitment to work alongside our players to strengthen our communities and advance social justice.  The unique platform that we have created is unprecedented in its scope, and will provide extraordinary resources in support of programs to promote positive social change in our communities. 

The membership also strongly believes that:

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.
  2. The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem.
  3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed.
  4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.
  5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.
  6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

TV ratings were down across the board. Every single sport, every single network. This is fake news. Sunday Night Football was the most watched series in the country yet again. The top 7 most watched programs in the US this year were all NFL football. The NFL earned 1 billion more this year than the previous year from TV ads and viewership. Day 2 and 3 of the NFL draft beat last year's NBA finals.

Call it fake news if you want, but I personally know at least 10 people who are lifelong fans and former season ticket holders that didn't buy tickets last season and didn't watch a single game on TV.  To me they represent a microcosm of what went on all across the country.  The NFL lost millions of fans last year because of the anthem protests and many of these people will never return no matter what the league chooses to do.  There's nothing fake about facts.

2 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Call it fake news if you want, but I personally know at least 10 people who are lifelong fans and former season ticket holders that didn't buy tickets last season and didn't watch a single game on TV.  To me they represent a microcosm of what went on all across the country.  The NFL lost millions of fans last year because of the anthem protests and many of these people will never return no matter what the league chooses to do.  There's nothing fake about facts.

I think you're right.  I also think people who gave up the NFL over this issue are idiots, but that doesn't mean you're not right.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I'm okay with the compromise, just not sure why the league didn't give all the power to the owners who are actually responsible for the actions of their employees. 

Isn’t the league basically the owners with a centralized authority?

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

I am using facts.  Advertising revenues were based on the previous season's ratings, not 2017.  Ad revenues will be down this year.  The NFL lost millions of fans last year and even the league knows it's days are numbered if they don't do something about these protests.  I have personal experience with at least 10 people that I know.  These were lifelong fans and season ticket holders.  They didn't buy tickets last year and didn't watch a single game on TV.  They will not be coming back.  Multiply that across an entire nation and the loss of millions of former NFL fans is very real.  The players insisted on killing the proverbial goose that laid the golden egg.  Even the league knows it has a problem.  Watch for an announcement later today that will end the protests in the hopes of improving viewership.  It's too little too late.  Millions will never watch another NFL game.        

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think you're right.  I also think people who gave up the NFL over this issue are idiots, but that doesn't mean you're not right.

Well I respect your opinion.  I served 23 years in the military to defend your right to state your opinion freely and openly.  I also respect the players' right to protest if they so choose. Here's where I have an issue.  Because you have the right to do something doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.  Actions have consequences.  All the best.

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

What did that have to do with the 5 year old repeating the behavior?

(Also, good story, no sarcasm, I just fail to see how it relates to the topic, or how it relates to your comment about 5 year olds. If I'm missing it, explain, this honestly isn't meant to be a troll)

The child was constantly acting up so parents would pacify him (give him a toy, ordered him ice cream, etc) and each time as soon as he was done with that item he would act up again just like some players.  Sorry did not make that clear.

9 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Call it fake news if you want, but I personally know at least 10 people who are lifelong fans and former season ticket holders that didn't buy tickets last season and didn't watch a single game on TV

This is called living in a bubble

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This is called living in a bubble

How is this "living in a bubble".  I am relating my own personal experience and saying that this occured not only within my circle of friends, but all across the country.  It did and there is no disputing that fact.  I think maybe you don't understand what the phrase actually means.

6 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Well I respect your opinion.  I served 23 years in the military to defend your right to state your opinion freely and openly.  I also respect the players' right to protest if they so choose. Here's where I have an issue.  Because you have the right to do something doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.  Actions have consequences.  All the best.

Thanks for your service.  I don't think the national anthem should be played before sporting events, period.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What consequences come from kneeling for the anthem?

Fans tune out and don't buy tickets.  If the trend continues, then there is no more NFL.  Those are the consequences.

Just now, xsoldier54 said:

Fans tune out and don't buy tickets.  If the trend continues, then there is no more NFL.  Those are the consequences.

They will never lose enough fans to discontinue the league. That's ridiculous. 

Just now, eball said:

Thanks for your service.  I don't think the national anthem should be played before sporting events, period.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion.  That is your right and I respect that.  These days a lot of people won't even listen to someone who disagrees with their opinion.  I think that is very ignorant and immature.  I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling that way.  All the best. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

They will never lose enough fans to discontinue the league. That's ridiculous. 

Lol well it is enough of a trend that league owners are concerned.  Otherwise they would have done nothing.

5 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

How is this "living in a bubble".  I am relating my own personal experience and saying that this occured not only within my circle of friends, but all across the country

You used 10 people you know as a "microcosm" of what's going on across the country. This in spite of the fact that NFL ratings are actually better than ever if you factor in ratings decline across all media. The freaking draft just had its highest ratings ever, but you live in a bubble where that isn't true.

I'd like to know how many of the "millions" of fans who gave up the NFL over this issue stand up in front of their televisions at home and salute the anthem before they watch a sporting event.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous.  The players who kneel are ridiculous, the people who complain about the kneeling are ridiculous, and the notion of thinking the anthem should be played before sporting events is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Nothing but good PR. It's a joke. Idiot NFL players on their knees means nothing.

These half brain knuckle dragging cro mags aren't going to fund police training or work with inner city at risk youth to teach them to obey and be compliant with law officials and authority. That's not how it works.

Sadly this will be nothing more the a level of nepotism inside of the NFL and the despot that will be the CEO of this fraudulent schtick.

Dude, you know that the whole point of the protest is because the point of their argument was that black people incur violence from police disproportionately. You can dispute whether or not this is the case.

But come on, how is giving the police more money going to have them kill fewer black people? Why should the onus be on teenagers to not scare the cops by existing to the extent that they don't get riddled with bullets?

You can agree or disagree with their premise, but you are being stupid about what you seem to think the problem is.

Just now, eball said:

I'd like to know how many of the "millions" of fans who gave up the NFL over this issue stand up in front of their televisions at home and salute the anthem before they watch a sporting event.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous.  The players who kneel are ridiculous, the people who complain about the kneeling are ridiculous, and the notion of thinking the anthem should be played before sporting events is ridiculous.

Honestly, the only reason I disagree, is because the anthem is the best time to get your food before the game starts. ?

2 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

1 minute ago, eball said:

How about the fans in the stands who turn around and talk with others and drink during the anthem?

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly, the only reason I disagree, is because the anthem is the best time to get your food before the game starts. ?

But Jesus Christ, Joe, that's disrespecting the anthem!

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They'll likely be standing in the tunnel or somewhere out of sight. They'll be back on the sidelines before the post anthem commercial break.

Probably but the rule states they can stay in the locker room...