An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

After Anquan left the Bills last season to work on social justice issues, he worked to create the "Players Coalition" with Malcolm Jenkins.

The NFL and this group have agreed to create a partnership with $90M in funding.  I believe this is a great step to hopefully end the controversial anthem kneeling while also giving the players a voice on social issues - which may or may not be limited to a few interests.

Perhaps another method would be something similar to the "pink" month for breast cancer.  Where the players wear some sort of identifier to show their support for social issues.

Good move by the NFL, and Anquan did accomplish something after saying he wanted to, so good on him, even if he was a jerk for asking to be "unretired".

UPDATE

----------------------------------------------------

Today the NFL also released a new policy instructing all players on the field must stand for the anthem and presentation of colors - if they do not, the team will be fined.  Players may stay in the locker room during the anthem if they wish.

I personally hope that these two measures create a social justice discussion as it's own entity and leave the game to being about the game.  I do not feel this has had a horrible impact on ratings as has been pointed to, but I guess if this gambit works, we'll know.  I think the real reason for declining ratings is Millennials do not care as much for televised sports.

Edited by MTBill
Added info on NFL Policy released today.
  • Like (+1) 1

Nice way of looking at it ! 

The way I see it is the owners where losing 

$hit lot of money , and had to figure out a way for this to go away , $90 milion to settle was not a bad deal ( for the owners) , 

4 minutes ago, Putin said:

Nice way of looking at it ! 

The way I see it is the owners where losing 

$hit lot of money , and had to figure out a way for this to go away , $90 milion to settle was not a bad deal ( for the owners) , 

NFL dominated TV ratings last year. No major corporation likes negative press. NFL did what they all do to make it go away, throw money at it. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

NFL dominated TV ratings last year. No major corporation likes negative press. NFL did what they all do to make it go away, throw money at it. 

TV ratings were way down for Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night games.   If the trend continued it would mean a surefire end to the league.  Owners knew it, even though players seemed too stupid to know they were potentially killing their own golden calf. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know why they say they were taking a knee, just not sure how they plan to use 90 million dollars to fix the perception of the problem. 

My guess is that it would be something along the lines of Colin Kaepernick's million dollar pledge where he donated $100,000 per month to various organizations fighting social justice issues.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know why they say they were taking a knee, just not sure how they plan to use 90 million dollars to fix the perception of the problem. 

How does any non-profit coalition use their funding?  I don't know, I'm asking -- but I'd assume it is in marketing, outreach, awareness programs, etc.  Everything costs $$.  It would be nice to see athletes who were kneeling be some of the guys who are going out and speaking to groups (without being paid) about the social issues they wanted to raise awareness of.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

How does any non-profit coalition use their funding?  I don't know, I'm asking -- but I'd assume it is in marketing, outreach, awareness programs, etc.  Everything costs $$.  It would be nice to see athletes who were kneeling be some of the guys who are going out and speaking to groups (without being paid) about the social issues they wanted to raise awareness of.

I think McDermott said something to that effect to his players, if they wanted to take a knee last year he supported them but they needed to get out in the community and actually start a conversation, actually do something tangible.   

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Kaepernick certainly put his money where his mouth is.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

TV ratings were way down for Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night games.   If the trend continued it would mean a surefire end to the league.  Owners knew it, even though players seemed too stupid to know they were potentially killing their own golden calf. 

Haha, the nfl is still king.  NASCAR ratings went down this year too.  Must be all their protestors. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, the nfl is still king.  NASCAR ratings went down this year too.  Must be all their protestors. 

I know right? Telecoms are losing millions over millions of subscribers monthly so it must be all the protestors. 

Maybe if telecoms werent charging an arm and a leg for an outdated service they wouldn’t be having viewership issues. Sunday ticket doubled last year. That definitely had something to do with it. And to watch sports for free over a season for the cost of a few beers is more cost effective than paying 150/month for cable and 300 for Sunday ticket. 

Pro leagues need a new pig to bleed, and “ending” the protests won’t solve ****. What will be the new bobayaga when ratings dip again?

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

NFL is king. Nothing will change it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

image.jpeg.ccf93db2a442d8da70ca8e676a2071d7.jpeg

There was a time when Jay Cutler was a very successful QB, he has the physical traits of our own rookie QB. I think if you put Jay Cutler as QB of the Eagles that they easily make the playoffs this year. He is a locker room asshat but I think he could still be a good QB in the right situation.