An end to Anthem protests? [UPDATE - Augmented by new Anthem Policy]

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Clearly it is or the owners would not take any action at all.  Today they will.  If you choose not to acknowledge that the league lost millions of fans last year, then fine, but the league recognizes it and are taking action. 

8 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Fans tune out and don't buy tickets.  If the trend continues, then there is no more NFL.  Those are the consequences.

Yeah it's not all the concussions or domestic violence that will kill the NFL. It's people being offended over a flag. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

Just now, xsoldier54 said:

Clearly it is or the owners would not take any action at all.  Today they will.  If you choose not to acknowledge that the league lost millions of fans last year, then fine, but the league recognizes it and are taking action. 

No.  The league doesn't like negative press or drama.  They made their money.  They will always make their money.

Image is, and has been, very important to the NFL. 

The anti-kneelers didn't even put a dimple, let alone a dent, in NFL revenue.

1 minute ago, xsoldier54 said:

This is true but to me it's mostly a PR thing. FOX just paid a record amount of money for Thursday Night Football. The league is still making billions of dollars....and most football fans fans who really enjoy the game don't care about this. I know I don't

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's not all the concussions or domestic violence that will kill the NFL. It's people being offended over a flag. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

It's not gonna be this either.  IDK if you heard, but this guy said the NFL isn't dying:

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For people who think the NFL is dying:

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The evidence is clear.  The owners recognize they have a huge problem with these protests.  Otherwise they would take no action at all.  It's costing them money or they would not take the action they are taking today.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

Wow. What a statement. and what a way to alienate all the younger generation fans. Glad they did this, as now I have an even better excuse not to watch this garbage league anymore except Bills games

the NBA will surpass the NFL in about 10 years at this rate tbh, won't be surprised when it happens. 

Edited by Yeezus
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

How about the fans in the stands who turn around and talk with others and drink during the anthem?

I like the ones that yell at others to take their hats off. Yelling during the anthem isn’t disrespectful as well? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

This is true but to me it's mostly a PR thing. FOX just paid a record amount of money for Thursday Night Football. The league is still making billions of dollars....and most football fans fans who really enjoy the game don't care about this. I know I don't

It's not just PR.  If they didn't recognize that eventually this was going to be a huge problem, owners would do nothing.  Today they chose to take action because they are greedy.  It's all about the money as usual.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

Wow. What a statement. and what a way to alienate all the younger generation fans. Glad they did this, as now I have an even better excuse not to watch this garbage league anymore except Bills games

the NBA will surpass the NFL in about 10 years at this rate tbh, won't be surprised when it happens. 

NBA has required players stand for the anthem since David Stern.  

Troll job on 100 thousand million.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What evidence would that be?

The evidence is that owners essentially banned protests by their action today.  If there was no problem, then they would take no action at all.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No.  The league doesn't like negative press or drama.  They made their money.  They will always make their money.

Image is, and has been, very important to the NFL. 

The anti-kneelers didn't even put a dimple, let alone a dent, in NFL revenue.

Calling BS if this had zero effect on owners financially, then they would take zero action.  Clearly they know this is hurting the bottom line.  Yes the league made billions last year, but if owners felt it was no issue, then they would do absolutely nothing.

Good for the NFL.  They're protecting the brand.  NFL games are not a forum for individual players to air their political opinions or present their personal axes to grind.  When you come to the game, play football.  If you have a personal cause, do it on your own time.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Probably the only thing they could've done to make this go away. It will pass off in the next bunch of months and become a relatively non-issue. The NFL could not afford another season of protests.

(Disclaimer non of this represents my political view in anyway just my .02 on the leagues rational)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

NBA has required players stand for the anthem since David Stern.  

Troll job on 100 thousand million.

it isn't about that

the NFL is the most controlling professional sports league in the world. there is no freedom. 32 teams all run the same exact way. you step out of line you don't belong. 

NBA has done a 100x better job at marketing towards the youth and a wider range audience. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Good for the NFL.  They're protecting the brand.  NFL games are not a forum for individual players to air their political opinions or present their personal axes to grind.  When you come to the game, play football.  If you have a personal cause, do it on your own time.

All kneeling while the anthem was played happened before the games began with zero impact on the competition. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

what does forcing your players to stand for the national anthem have to do with "playing football" ?

stop doing mental gymnastics to try and defend this. it's actually embarrassing  

Edited by Yeezus

3 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

The evidence is that owners essentially banned protests by their action today.  If there was no problem, then they would take no action at all.

They also changed how kickoffs are run. Do you think that's because they were worried the previous kickoff format was losing them millions of fans?

Just now, Yeezus said:

it isn't about that

the NFL is the most controlling professional sports league in the world. there is no freedom. 32 teams all run the same exact way. you step out of line you don't belong. 

NBA has done a 100x better job at marketing towards the youth and a wider range audience. 

Really?  Because you just said that "forcing players to stand for the anthem"  will "alienate all the younger fans" and you.  But the NBA forces their players to stand for the anthem and doesn't alienate their fans, so really this topic is nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is deluding itself that it's fan retention issues are so simply  tied to this particular issue.  

That being said, the NFL is a private business and they can create policies as they see fit for their employees, however misguided those policies may be.

Just now, Yeezus said:

what does forcing your players to stand for the national anthem have to do with "playing football" ?

The NFL is in the business of playing football and the anthem is played before every game.  Players "taking a knee" turned people away last year.  There's zero debate on that issue.  People turning off the TV and not watching because a player wants to take some political position on TV is an economic issue.  Now it's fixed.  Players can be fined by their teams if they do kneel.  Done.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

They also changed how kickoffs are run. Do you think that's because they were worried the previous kickoff format was losing them millions of fans?

No and if you don't understand the difference between the two actions then you aren't worth having a discussion with.  The kickoff rules are designed to enhance player safety and have nothing to do with the anthem protests.  If you think the two are somehow connected, then have a nice day, I'm done with you.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Really?  Because you just said that "forcing players to stand for the anthem"  will "alienate all the younger fans" and you.  But the NBA forces their players to stand for the anthem and doesn't alienate their fans, so really this topic is nonsense.

can you take a step back and look at the bigger picture 

the NFL has essentially said the players kneeling has ZERO to do with the racial injustice in this country and more to do with the fact that they are being "unpatriotic" 

the league basically has said, we don't give a flying !@#$ about whats going on in this country, we just want you to shut up and play football" 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hey dude, are you planning on not contradicting yourself every 5 seconds in this thread, or what?

Personally, I couldn’t care less if the players stood, sat, knelt, stop-drop and roll for the anthem.

Just go out and play some ball, man......entertain me and take me away from my dreadful life for 3 hours every Sunday afternoon.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Hey dude, are you planning on not contradicting yourself every 5 seconds in this thread, or what?

I don't think those issues are losing the NFL fans either. I'm just saying it's dumb for someone to stop watching games over the anthem issue when those other issues didn't bother them. The NFL is fine. They face scandal after scandal but their revenue never stops increasing.

Just now, Yeezus said:

can you take a step back and look at the bigger picture 

the NFL has essentially said the players kneeling has ZERO to do with the racial injustice in this country and more to do with the fact that they are being "unpatriotic" 

the league basically has said, we don't give a flying !@#$ about whats going on in this country, we just want you to shut up and play football" 

The NBA said the same.  Shut and play basketball.  Look!

"However, on Friday, the NBA issued a memo to teams reminding them of the rule that requires players and coaches to stand for the national anthem.

Adam Silver confirmed to reporters that the league expects players to stand for the national anthem, citing the rule. He did not answer whether players would be penalized if the rule was broken."

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/25/16358070/national-anthem-protest-kneel-kneel-rule

In the heat of the kneeling debate, Silver sent a memo saying, "don't forget, you aren't allowed to protest during the anthem, be quiet and play basketball."

What's the difference?

5 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

How bout we just get rid of the anthem before football games altogether? 

• Like (+1) 10

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Will be interesting in light of this response.

Not sure how the players can be upset when the new rule allows them to skip the anthem if they so choose...it will certainly be interesting where this goes.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think those issues are losing the NFL fans either. I'm just saying it's dumb for someone to stop watching games over the anthem issue when those other issues didn't bother them. The NFL is fine. They face scandal after scandal but their revenue never stops increasing.

Agreed.

But I think there's genuine concern the protests will hurt their bottom line or their public perception or what have you.  Even if it doesn't/wouldn't, if you believe the NFL is truly bulletproof, this decision doesn't really matter either.  Mandating standing during the anthem won't affect them either.

Edited by BringBackOrton

14 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

I think you are over exaggerating a bit... the rule allows the players to skip the anthem if the players don’t want to stand...for a person who was ok with the players kneeling so long as the league allowed it, this sounds pretty fair to me.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

TV ratings will get a bump once the legalized gambling gets setup. Casual bets will be made and more guys will be sitting in front of the TV yelling at refs. 

we can bet on which players will stay in the locker room during the anthem