Josh Boyce, WR rumored to have a visit

I work with the Uncle of Josh Boyce, WR.  He told me that the Bills are interested and bringing in for a visit Boyce.  He was drafted in 2013 from the Patriots, here is a Draft Profile of him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/josh-boyce?id=2540181

Strengths

Solid overall build with a muscular upper body and strong legs. Lines up outside and in the slot. Displays very good hands. Excellent first three steps off the line to challenge corners, shakes them off the line and has enough speed to get a step down the field. Stems every route in the tree with foot quickness that college corners can't handle, does not have to slow down significantly to make a cut. Tracks the ball well over either shoulder, and shows a good job of high pointing the football in contested situations. Creates space downfield with an arm extension. Tough to bring down after the catch because of his low center of gravity and strength. Aggressive run blocker with the strength to negate his man and stick with the block. Willing to attack safeties stepping up inside if uncovered.

Weaknesses

Might be limited to purely playing the slot. Does not bring some difficult catches extended away from his frame that top prospects are expected to snare with their hands. Some college corners could close on him in the open field. Will fall off run blocks instead of sustaining, allowing his man to come off and make a play at times.

NFL Comparison

Devery Henderson

Bottom Line

Boyce's average height and maxed-out frame won't wow scouts, but the quickness and strength that made him a playmaker at the college level makes him a potentially dangerous weapon in the slot, with the possibility of being able to line up on the outside.

7 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Woo! More slot guys! 

Running NEs offense... yes we will have slot guys, mostly. aka quick, route runners...

"But Allen can throw the ball 80 yards!" 

Just because Allen can throw the ball 80 yards doesn't mean you design an offense around that... Expect 10-15 play drives, hopefully that put up points.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually I think the WR we need to keep tabs on is Phillip Dorsett. 4.33 combine speed, 6.7 3 cone drill.

Compared to John Brown. NE has a ton of WRs and Dorsett's best asset is deep speed. The Pats don't employ much of a true vertical game. I think he may be the odd man out.

No offense to Decker/ Dez etc but I don't want any other team's golden oldies. I'd roll the dice with Dorsett if he becomes available.

Overview

Second-team All-ACC wide receiver in 2014. Ten of his 36 catches were for touchdowns and he averaged 24.2 yards per catch. Took part in 2015 Senior Bowl practices, but did not play in the game due to injury. In 2013, played in eight games and missed five games due to a partially torn MCL. Caught 13 passes for 272 yards and 2 touchdowns. In 2012, led Miami in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns. Had four games of 100-plus yards. Won a 5A Florida State Championship while at St. Thomas Aquinas High School.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.29 and 4.27 seconds
Vertical jump: 38 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches
Short shuttle: 4.03 seconds
3-cone: 6.85 seconds

Analysis

Strengths

Takes the top off the defense and throws it in the trash. Elite explosiveness. Gets to top speed quickly and is a seamless glider on crossing routes, leaving man-to-man defenses in his wake. Can work outside and from the slot. Elevates and attacks contested catches. Outstanding body control and can adjust to the ball in mid-air. Mind-boggling big-play production with half of his catches going for 25-plus yards in 2014. More than just a vertical-only receiver and has the blazing feet and stop-start to beat zone coverage for big plays.

Weaknesses

Had partial tear of MCL in 2013. Still raw in his routes, relying on pure speed. Inconsistent with his hand placement to catch and lets the ball get on top of him. Small frame and will have to withstand hits over the middle as a slot receiver.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1 or 2

Sources Tell Us

"I will guarantee he goes in the top 40 this year. In fact, I will be surprised if he doesn't go in the first. Elite speed and separation player." - NFC executive

NFL Comparison

John Brown

Bottom Line

Dorsett is an ascending prospect who has averaged more than 25 yards per catch since 2012. He can challenge teams vertically inside or outside and he has home-run potential after the catch as a slot receiver. With smaller wide receivers like T.Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown proving that small and fast can win in the NFL, Dorsett should be coveted by more than one team and has the potential to turn into a star in the NFL.
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Hasn't played in a game since 2014 and has a very long injury history.

I haven't seen a long injury history. All I could find was an ankle injury and a toe injury, but mostly that he was constantly a trainng camp or preseason cut and constantly being signed to practice squads.

The short area quickness guys I believe we have plenty of. What we need is that burner whom Allen can hang a 60 yard pass up for once he gets past the CB and S. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Running NEs offense... yes we will have slot guys, mostly. aka quick, route runners...

Just because Allen can throw the ball 80 yards doesn't mean you design an offense around that... Expect 10-15 play drives, hopefully that put up points.

I understand that the EP offense is like that, but I still would feel better having a speedy guy to trick some safeties. 

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Actually I think the WR we need to keep tabs on is Phillip Dorsett. 4.33 combine speed, 6.7 3 cone drill.

Compared to John Brown. NE has a ton of WRs and Dorsett's best asset is deep speed. The Pats don't employ much of a true vertical game. I think he may be the odd man out.

No offense to Decker/ Dez etc but I don't want any other team's golden oldies. I'd roll the dice with Dorsett if he becomes available.

Overview

Second-team All-ACC wide receiver in 2014. Ten of his 36 catches were for touchdowns and he averaged 24.2 yards per catch. Took part in 2015 Senior Bowl practices, but did not play in the game due to injury. In 2013, played in eight games and missed five games due to a partially torn MCL. Caught 13 passes for 272 yards and 2 touchdowns. In 2012, led Miami in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns. Had four games of 100-plus yards. Won a 5A Florida State Championship while at St. Thomas Aquinas High School.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.29 and 4.27 seconds
Vertical jump: 38 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches
Short shuttle: 4.03 seconds
3-cone: 6.85 seconds

Analysis

Strengths

Takes the top off the defense and throws it in the trash. Elite explosiveness. Gets to top speed quickly and is a seamless glider on crossing routes, leaving man-to-man defenses in his wake. Can work outside and from the slot. Elevates and attacks contested catches. Outstanding body control and can adjust to the ball in mid-air. Mind-boggling big-play production with half of his catches going for 25-plus yards in 2014. More than just a vertical-only receiver and has the blazing feet and stop-start to beat zone coverage for big plays.

Weaknesses

Had partial tear of MCL in 2013. Still raw in his routes, relying on pure speed. Inconsistent with his hand placement to catch and lets the ball get on top of him. Small frame and will have to withstand hits over the middle as a slot receiver.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1 or 2

Sources Tell Us

"I will guarantee he goes in the top 40 this year. In fact, I will be surprised if he doesn't go in the first. Elite speed and separation player." - NFC executive

NFL Comparison

John Brown

Bottom Line

Dorsett is an ascending prospect who has averaged more than 25 yards per catch since 2012. He can challenge teams vertically inside or outside and he has home-run potential after the catch as a slot receiver. With smaller wide receivers like T.Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown proving that small and fast can win in the NFL, Dorsett should be coveted by more than one team and has the potential to turn into a star in the NFL.

You think the Patriots* will cut him?

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Seems like Josh Rosen might be better suited for an offense that requires quick processing and accuracy on short routes.  Just saying...