Why Fedex Why?

Ordered something for Mother's day on Friday, figured it would ship on Monday, no big deal.  Get the notice Friday it shipped, cool.   Track shipment....Hanahan SC-Charlotte NC-Belle Isle FL-Orlando FL-Orlando FL.....Are they just showing this package around Orlando before the expected delivery date of 5/10?   Heck the US Mail could have gotten it here by now.   This is why I do not order crap online.   Last time I actually called Fedex and said "just drop at my local post office I'll pick it up myself."    

How can a company this inefficient make money? 

24 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Ordered something for Mother's day on Friday, figured it would ship on Monday, no big deal.  Get the notice Friday it shipped, cool.   Track shipment....Hanahan SC-Charlotte NC-Belle Isle FL-Orlando FL-Orlando FL.....Are they just showing this package around Orlando before the expected delivery date of 5/10?   Heck the US Mail could have gotten it here by now.   This is why I do not order crap online.   Last time I actually called Fedex and said "just drop at my local post office I'll pick it up myself."    

Inefficient for you does not equal inefficient for them.   Pretty sure that company has the logistics thing down cold.

p.s.  next time pony up for 3 day shipping!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

Inefficient for you does not equal inefficient for them.   Pretty sure that company has the logistics thing down cold.

p.s.  next time pony up for 3 day shipping!

Why?  I don't need it until Saturday I was just musing as to why they would shuttle it around Orlando wasting fuel.   

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Why?  I don't need it until Saturday I was just musing as to why they would shuttle it around Orlando wasting fuel.   

Orlando is beautiful at this time of the year... you should head on over.

• Haha (+1) 1

I've seen that before, I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. My shipment was listed as to be delivered on a certain day. It arrived at the local distribution center a few days early. And there it sat until the day it was scheduled to arrive. 

Just now, T&C said:

Orlando is beautiful at this time of the year... you should head on over.

Tell you what i'll meet you in Winter Garden at Crooked Can brewery.   But pick up that package first and I'll buy a round. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Tell you what i'll meet you in Winter Garden at Crooked Can brewery.   But pick up that package first and I'll buy a round. 

Haven? You missed a subtle message a few posts back.

I had a similar issue recently.

I noticed that the item was shipped using "Fed Ex Smartpost," and I'd never heard of it before.

Turns out, Fed Ex delivers it to the nearest USPS, then the USPS actually delivers the parcel.  It took like 6 business days for my item to get from PA to NY.

The vendor could have just used USPS and I would have gotten the !@#$ing thing in 3 days, tops.

Moral:  Beware of Fed Ex Smartpost.

it just must be how fedex works.  we've noticed that on our street, we'll see fedex stop at house, deliver a package, leave, and a while later come back to deliver a package two doors down.  same truck and same driver.  i think they farm out quite a bit of work as well.  our dog as going nuts barking so i looked out of my office, and saw some sketch ball dropping off a package.  older guy, ragged looking, no uniform.  i had no idea what it was about, so when i got up to look, the guy drove away in a busted truck with a magnetic fedex sign on it.  as a poster earlier mentioned, it's just their logistics.

on another note, our standard mail carrier, (who was a super nice guy) was just arrested for blowing coke in the back of his truck, and stealing gift cards from the mail.  had him on camera and everything.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I've seen that before, I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. My shipment was listed as to be delivered on a certain day. It arrived at the local distribution center a few days early. And there it sat until the day it was scheduled to arrive. 

If it's a busy holiday; Christmas, Mother's Day, etc; mail carriers will prioritize air deliveries over ground packages. They don't want to hire extra help, so they postpone non-guaranteed delivery until the rush is over. This happens around every federal holiday, but sometimes can also occur when a delay occurs along the route; ie closed airport or weather.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I noticed that the item was shipped using "Fed Ex Smartpost," and I'd never heard of it before.

Turns out, Fed Ex delivers it to the nearest USPS, then the USPS actually delivers the parcel.  It took like 6 business days for my item to get from PA to NY.

The vendor could have just used USPS and I would have gotten the !@#$ing thing in 3 days, tops.

FedEX smartpost and UPS Surepost are contracts with USPS to move packages because the post office can't handle the volume. It's what Trump mentioned about USPS losing money on the Amazon contract. The Post office actually pays a 3rd party carrier more than what they're getting from the customer. I believe (not sure) that the company that delivers it to your door is usually the one the shipper used;  it's up to them how they get it across the country, whether it be rail, boat, plane or Fedex, before getting the package back to finish the process.

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Where do you think the US mail comes from?  FedEx & UPS.

My family used to live in Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO, so I routinely watched packages wrongly shipped to Nevada. I got in the habit of watching how packages travel. Even made a few phone calls during the Harry Potter book 7 and PS2 craze when everything went to hell.

My sister freaked out when her HP book was getting transferred from USPS to Fedex and circling in the city.  She thought someone else was reading her book...

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Maybe you work at the PO? Because fed ex blows them away. EX. purchased a vinyl record in LA. paid standard shipping not media mail. It took 2 weeks too arrive. The delivery (finally) was yesterday. I will say this bills arrive promptly though. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Gungy is rarely right but he is correct on this.

Vendor said it was being sent via Fed Ex.

I get notice it is supposed to be delivered Saturday and all day I keep checking to see if it has been delivered for there are serial package stealers in area.  Then I read note.

The package(s) is scheduled for delivery on or before the scheduled delivery displayed. FedEx SmartPost is not a day definite service and not eligible for money-back guarantee.

On Tuesday tracking reports

7:50 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA

Someone is being deceptive - it is NOT USPS, they have not got package yet so it is either Fed Ex or shipper and I think it is Fed Ex
In transit.  They should state it is the absolute earliest it COULD arrive.

Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA
Ship date: Fri 5/04/2018 CHATSWORTH, CA US
Scheduled delivery: Sat 5/12/2018 by end of day

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Does it really matter how they decide how to get it there as long as it gets there?  

Not to old people.

58 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Gungy is rarely right but he is correct on this.

I love you, too, Lime-a-rita!

Actually FedEx is fast... I ordered Jeep parts from Rough Country in Olive Branch, MS and Amazon said Friday.  FedEx tells me tomorrow!

Not FedEx, but Japan Post.  Ordered a camera lens from Osaka, I got it in 4 days!  landed @ O'Hare, took longest to clear customs, then bam USPS had it to my house!

I order everthing on line and it's here in 2 days, unless a problem. UPS, FedEx, USPS.

Now, things directly from China are slow boat. Still waiting on a set of oak numbers for a mailbox, woodworking project.

Where the heck would in find this junk in a store.  There you settle for what they have on hand... Order it the same way you would online.

As maligned as the US Post Office is, I can honestly say I have purchased or sold over 3000 items over the last 10 years, on line. I can count on one hand the number of problems I have encountered. In my previous job we used FedEx, UPS and DHL. One issue after another with each of them...and so much more expensive.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Do you know every delivery person that works for them is charged 50 dollars for every piece that was not delivered? Don't blame the driver. P.S.- My son worked for them before he landed a solid gov't job. Sounds like this is a hub problem.

32 minutes ago, Buftex said:

As maligned as the US Post Office is, I can honestly say I have purchased or sold over 3000 items over the last 10 years, on line. I can count on one hand the number of problems I have encountered. In my previous job we used FedEx, UPS and DHL. One issue after another with each of them...and so much more expensive.

They are keeping them working, even on Sunday.

I think Amazon deal is great!

BEST thing ever happen to USPS.  We all knew the death of 1st Class was coming (email, bills, etc...)... Why not move to packages.

The cornerstone of this country, constitutionally, is the Post Office!!!!

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think Amazon deal is great!

BEST thing ever happen to USPS.  We all knew the death of 1st Class was coming (email, bills, etc...)... Why not move to packages.

The cornerstone of this country, constitutionally, is the Post Office!!!!

If you mail something on a Saturday or Sunday out of Buffalo ,it's trucked to their Rochester main branch,then trucked back to Buffalo (716- zip codes). Talk about whacked....

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If you mail something on a Saturday or Sunday out of Buffalo ,it's trucked to their Rochester main branch,then trucked back to Buffalo (716- zip codes). Talk about whacked....

Why?  Is it not sorted yet?  Nobody is sorting in Buffalo on weekends?

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why?  Is it not sorted yet?  Nobody is sorting in Buffalo on weekends?

Not sure..might have something to do with shutting down the Falls for a few days so the authorities can gather a few dozen dead bodies...or blame Trump and the entire GOP. Remember....I wasn't the one that left B-low for Chicago...

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Not sure..might have something to do with shutting down the Falls for a few days so the authorities can gather a few dozen dead bodies...or blame Trump and the entire GOP. Remember....I wasn't the one that left B-low for Chicago...

I think it isn't sorted in BFLo because it's not a good trasportation hub anymore.

I did leave but the Army was RIFing back in early 90s.  I worked for Corps with BFLo District.  To keep working for them, I took a job w/Rock Island District USACE.  I still work out of Rock Island. Is what it is.  Black Rock Lock shuts down in winter.  Here we keep traffic moving through ice. :P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Its been that way for years, before Trump, maybe even before Obama. My parents live in a small town and if they mail something to some one else in the same town, it goes to Syracuse to be sorted, then back to the small town. Used to be the postmaster in town would cancel local mail and deliver it the next day. 

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Do you know every delivery person that works for them is charged 50 dollars for every piece that was not delivered? Don't blame the driver. P.S.- My son worked for them before he landed a solid gov't job. Sounds like this is a hub problem.

I don't blame them at all, I do find it funny that they will receive a package, then parade it around a city for 3 days before delivering, but I get it, that is how they sell 2 day priority or 3 day service.  If they delivered it on Monday, no one would spring for next day.  

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't know if this is nationwide, but our local USPS delivers UPS packages on Sundays.

Just now, teef said:

i'm extremely  important, so i want my package delivered before anyone else.  can someone help me out with this?

Are you saying that your package is better than anyone else's package?

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't know if this is nationwide, but our local USPS delivers UPS packages on Sundays.

There is also UPS SurePost... UPS passed off to the Post office.  They have been partnering since 2013 I think.

UPS doesn't do Sunday delivery also.

If you have package coming SurePost, you can keep it at UPS for a small fee.

Makes no sense, but I guess $$$ it does to them. They must let USPS sort.

They teamed up to lessen footprint anf collaborate.

I had a camera part come SurePost... I paid the 3 bucks to keep it UPS... Wanted it nowhere near USPS... It was over a grand.  Cheaper stuff I don't mind.  I figure why add another layer... BUT, THINGS probably get lost at UPS.  The facility here is largest in world... And only runs 75% capacity.  They simply can't figure out how to get more out of it.  That's what one UPS employee told me... FWIW.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 5/8/2018 at 4:06 PM, Soda Popinski said:

I’m in!

I love The Crooked Can Brewery, it’s a great place to hang out. The Winter Garden Pizza Company is delicious too......for pizza in Florida.

11 hours ago, flomoe said:

I’m in!

I love The Crooked Can Brewery, it’s a great place to hang out. The Winter Garden Pizza Company is delicious too......for pizza in Florida.

we went two weeks ago for my birthday, got there around 430, and could not find a place to sit or even stand, I didn't know how overcrowded it was, we ended up leaving and going back to clermont.   

• 4 weeks later...

UPS has its own version of cheap ground shipping:

UPS SurePost® is an economy, residential, ground service.

This service combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

I ordered something through work (we have a recognition system that allows supervisors and above to award other employees with points.  Points are accumulated and employees can shop from a catalog).

History is here"

Queensbury,  NY,  United States 06/02/2018 6:12 A.M. Arrival Scan
Latham,  NY,  United States 06/02/2018 5:24 A.M. Departure Scan
Latham,  NY,  United States 06/01/2018 7:13 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 06/01/2018 4:46 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

So, first of all, they fulfilled the order through a Best Buy in Latham - which is on my way home from work.  I could have picked it up on 6/2.  But no biggie, I get that it's easier for them to just ship it.

Queensbury is where I live.  So in one day, my package made it to my hometown (assuming) post office.  Either way, the UPS facility is 6 minutes from my house; USPS is 10 minutes, at the most.

It arrived in Queensbury yesterday at 6am.  Why didn't it go out for delivery?  And why isn't it being delivered today, since (as stated previously) USPS delivers UPS packages on Sunday.  And it says that it'll be delivered BY THE END OF TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So it took this package 1 day to travel 40 miles; but it will take an additional 3 days for the package to travel 5 miles.