What's Up With the Buffalo Blitz Paywall?

8 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

You are incorrect. There are a minimum of 4-5 free pieces most days. That was among the free pieces for that day. 

Here is the link and anyone should be able to access (unless you have used your free article maximum outside of Blitz).

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/bills-parcells-met-with-josh-allen-says-hes-committed-to-trying-to-develop/

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, from TBD they all show as locked behind a paywall and the only way you know if it's actually free is by clicking on it, which obviously I didn't do.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:14 PM, Dirtbag said:

expecting payment for content isn't a scam. i don't pay since i don't like the writers, but there's nothing scammy about it. gotta get paid somehow.

There is certainly nothing scammy about getting paid for content, but it's extremely questionable that paywalls accomplish that goal. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, mileena said:

I hate the BN. First you had to subscribe to read the sports section; now I can't read anything since they banned me for using ad blocker on my browser. What a loser newspaper.

So I take it you'd be just fine working your ass off to deliver a product to customers strictly as a volunteer.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

There is certainly nothing scammy about getting paid for content, but it's extremely questionable that paywalls accomplish that goal. 

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the revenue of a years subscription is worth something like tens of thousands of clicks.  It might have been from the editor of The Athletic describing their business model.  Can't remember, but the numbers were pretty interesting regarding the amount of ad revenue generated vs a monthly/annual paywall.   

On 5/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, Dirtbag said:

expecting payment for content isn't a scam. i don't pay since i don't like the writers, but there's nothing scammy about it. gotta get paid somehow.

that's what advertising is for.

but obviously that's not paying the bills anymore so the BN's will be out of business soon, and i say good riddance.. You should of listen to us when we told you your sports journalist were crap

10 hours ago, musichunch said:

Any undisclosed conflicts of interests between fan message boards and sports teams? Lots of untouched trails. 

The Billuminati are definitely behind this. What other reason would there be for a Bills site to gather Bills articles from many sources, even a hometown source (?), for its members to read?

• Haha (+1) 1

I've subscribed to see the BNBlitz content but my login/password never work. I've received a response from the customer service department when I've contacted them and they told me my login/password is correct and I should be able to login, but I'm never able to. So that may be an issue they'd like to look into considering I'm still paying the $3 a month and am rarely able to see the content unless I do some random clicking around and end up getting to read it without logging in.

There's nothing wrong with charging for content, I just don't feel like they are producing anything unique or overly interesting that people can't read/hear about elsewhere. Tim Graham may have broke the Russ Brandon story but I learned more about that whole story by listening to a 10 minute segment with Tyler Dunner on Shredd & Ragan. 

I commend them for trying but it would appear that the majority of fans don't care for the team of writers. And it's not always because people perceive their writing as negative. In my experience, a fair number of writers are active on social media but most of the time they're engaging with trolls, bragging about how they're in a position any average fan wishes they were in, or completely ignoring decent questions or solid rebuttals to their statements. 

12 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I've subscribed to see the BNBlitz content but my login/password never work. I've received a response from the customer service department when I've contacted them and they told me my login/password is correct and I should be able to login, but I'm never able to. So that may be an issue they'd like to look into considering I'm still paying the $3 a month and am rarely able to see the content unless I do some random clicking around and end up getting to read it without logging in.

Feel free to send me your email and contact info and we will get someone to help you. jbarnett@buffnews.com. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, stony said:

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the revenue of a years subscription is worth something like tens of thousands of clicks.  It might have been from the editor of The Athletic describing their business model.  Can't remember, but the numbers were pretty interesting regarding the amount of ad revenue generated vs a monthly/annual paywall.   

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160815/09353135247/lots-newspapers-discovering-that-paywalls-dont-work.shtml

http://www.niemanlab.org/2015/09/beacon-finds-partnerships-and-matching-donations-work-better-than-subscriptions-and-paywalls/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/newspapers-rethink-paywalls-digital-efforts-sputter-093036224.html

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

that's what advertising is for.

but obviously that's not paying the bills anymore so the BN's will be out of business soon, and i say good riddance.. You should of listen to us when we told you your sports journalist were crap

So am I missing something or do you not know how every other vehicle of media works?

The BN physical paper was never given out for free because it had ads in it 

6 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So am I missing something or do you not know how every other vehicle of media works?

The BN physical paper was never given out for free because it had ads in it 

its all online now. the paper itself is barley holding on, as is all paper print .

The fact remains wouldn't pay for the crap paper so they can go out of business.

I can find plenty of news for free online...

So what you are you missing ? It is the fact you are living in the past

Edited by ddaryl

Just now, ddaryl said:

its all online now. the paper itself is barley holding on, as is all paper print .

The fact remains wouldn't pay for the crap paper so they can go out of business.

I can find plenty of news I can get of free online.

So what you ar emissing is the fact you are living in the past

Where did you get this from?  I'm curious, is this is your opinion, or do you know numbers that indicate their demise is near?

4 minutes ago, stony said:

Where did you get this from?  I'm curious, is this is your opinion, or do you know numbers that indicate their demise is near?

Just going by the clues they are offering. All this pay for news crap. Can't imagine many are wiling to pay for their "Bills" news.

paper print is going the way of the dodo, that is fact

1+1 =2

maybe they hold on, but I really don't see them able to compete with the big boys online, and I still don't see many jumping on for pay subscriptions, especially the younger generations

Edited by ddaryl

Just now, ddaryl said:

Just going by the clues they are offering. ALl this pay fo rcrap. Can't imagine many are wiling to pay for their "Bills" news.

paper print is going the way of the dodo, that is fact

1+1 =2

maybe they hold on, but I really don't see them able to compete with the big boys online, and I still don't see many jumping on for pay subscriptions, especially the younger generations

Cool, thanks.

Check out The Athletic links I posted above.  I don't think the BN is in trouble, but if a competitor came into this market with Buffalo-specific coverage, I'd watch that fight.   

I'm reminded of a line from the movie "Founder" about Ray Crock the McDonalds magnate. McDonalds was growing and growing but still Ray Crock was struggling financially and he couldn't understand it. Then he met a man who told him that the problem was, Crock didn't know what business he was in. He wasn't in the hamburger business. He was in the real estate business. Crock hired that man who then changed things so that McDonalds bought the prime locations and then leased them to the franchisees. Crock now retained ownership of the land the locations sat on, instead of trying to make money on the mark up from his milkshake mixes etc. And that is how he became a billionaire.

Newspapers are in the advertising business. They always have been. Being unable to sustain a newspaper through advertising revenue means they are losing their life blood and they must focus like a laser beam on fixing that or risk insolvency. I don't think newspapers see it that way. And I think if they continue down the path of trying to carve back share from technical corporate giants like Google, in Google's back yard of the internet, as individual companies, the outlook is bleak for most of them. 

To me I think the press at large need to recognize what business they are in, define their common good, and then team up to turn the tide. Otherwise I think Google is going to crush them one by one.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

1 hour ago, stony said:

Those are interesting, but all 2-3 years old.  I'm curious if the landscape has changed.  I still can't find the article I referenced, but this one regarding the Athletic seems to counter the "paywall/subscription" sites will fail narrative.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2017/01/10/why-2-1-million-was-invested-in-a-sports-news-subscription-site/#499218a415e7

EDIT: The subscription service seems to be working.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2018/03/08/the-athletic-will-keep-growing-with-the-help-of-20-million-in-new-funding/#eecf0705369c

The athletic hasn't made a dime. They've simply secured funding which doesn't really mean much. 

In addition the list of paywall failures like the nytimes is very long. 

https://qz.com/1173033/the-psychology-behind-why-journalism-paywalls-still-dont-work/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180506/11501539779/medias-paywall-obsession-will-end-disaster-most.shtml

https://om.co/2018/05/04/the-paywall-quandary-how-many-subscriptions-does-one-really-need/?curator=MediaREDEF

Paywalls aren't a magic goldmine. Providing good content and engaging your audience will generally give you a number of possible business strategies that don't involve a paywall. Just throwing existing content behind a paywall is not the panacea many believe it to be...this thread alone shows that most don't find the Buffalo News worth paying for and many, like myself, didn't read it when it was free so now even if they start providing really good content, I can't see it. They're going to have to go out of their way to attract people back into the buffalo news ecosystem...

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

You are incorrect. There are a minimum of 4-5 free pieces most days. That was among the free pieces for that day. 

Here is the link and anyone should be able to access (unless you have used your free article maximum outside of Blitz).

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/bills-parcells-met-with-josh-allen-says-hes-committed-to-trying-to-develop/

Josh, I think it would be helpful to many of us if you could reach out to SDS or Nervous Guy and see if, in the new software, there's a way to indicate which articles are free instead of putting everything "Buffalo News" up with the lock software.  I don't believe there was a workaround with the old message board software.  I suggest reaching out because it might require some kind of a "flag" on TBN end that the message board software could pick up on (eg in putting it up there's something like "FREE = TRUE" which may already be there).

If it's huge work, maybe not worth it, but it is frustrating to have to click on multiple articles and get the ad to find the free ones.

The other thing is, there have been reports of variable behavior - one non-subscriber will post a link to an article that was free to him, then when others of us click on that link it's behind the paywall.  If you could shed understanding here that would be appreciated.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:19 AM, JoshBarnett said:

Three replies:

To Best Player: I did not say the bullet points were unique. I was asked what we did with the suggestions generated by this board. Those were some of the suggestions we implemented by request. 

To BadLands: Understood. There might be others whom I might not have replied to individually and might feel differently. Also, I appreciate your suggestions. 

To stony: there are a lot of plans on the drawing board; many involve the Sabres and a combined product.

Josh, the negativity isn't just about the Bills and Sabres. It's UB athletics as well. I emailed you after Bucky's hatchet job on the new UB AD.  Are you really comfortable with the insinuations Gleason made about Mark Alnutt? Bucky had been crusading for UB to drop football and hire a local candidate for AD. Since neither happened, Gleason decides to disparage Alnutt even before he started the job.

I get you have a difficult job and you have writers who are entrenched at the News. It can't be easy managing that bunch, much less reigning in their egos. But you must agree that story was entirely inappropriate, insulting and uncalled for. Gleason should not vent his spleen because local institutions don't follow his advice.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, Gale Gilbert said:

It's $2.99 a month and it helps support the local paper. Big deal. 

Spoken like a true corporate shill. 

On 5/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, Estro said:

I wish this board didn't pin every single BN article at the very top of the list.  Almost like an agreement between BN and 2BillsDrive to arrange that.   

There is no use trying to figure out why the mods put BN at the top of the website at all times. You can really ruffle some feathers tho if you call em out. 

4 minutes ago, Idandria said:

There is no use trying to figure out why the mods put BN at the top of the website at all times. You can really ruffle some feathers tho if you call em out. 

I don’t think there are any BN pieces pinned to the top of the site RN

and I don’t think it’s that big of a problem... just my opinion 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/6/2018 at 12:07 AM, Fadingpain said:

4 things you can count on:

1) Death

2) Taxes

3) People here bitching about Schopp and the Bulldog

4) People here bitching about The Buffalo News

I hate Schopp and the Bulldog but I’ve finally discovered something awesome. 3-6pm on ESPN Rochester.

the Sports Bar with Danger and Battaglia. It is so refreshing to have an alternative to listen to. THANK YOU ESPN ROCHESTER. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The athletic hasn't made a dime. They've simply secured funding which doesn't really mean much. 

In addition the list of paywall failures like the nytimes is very long. 

https://qz.com/1173033/the-psychology-behind-why-journalism-paywalls-still-dont-work/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180506/11501539779/medias-paywall-obsession-will-end-disaster-most.shtml

https://om.co/2018/05/04/the-paywall-quandary-how-many-subscriptions-does-one-really-need/?curator=MediaREDEF

Paywalls aren't a magic goldmine. Providing good content and engaging your audience will generally give you a number of possible business strategies that don't involve a paywall. Just throwing existing content behind a paywall is not the panacea many believe it to be...this thread alone shows that most don't find the Buffalo News worth paying for and many, like myself, didn't read it when it was free so now even if they start providing really good content, I can't see it. They're going to have to go out of their way to attract people back into the buffalo news ecosystem...

Except the Times is bringing in nearly $100 million is digital subscription revenue annually. Their stock is at it's highest in 10 years.  Hardly a paywall failure.  

19 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I don’t know how the articles are gathered - I suspect automatically but don’t know.  Might be someone who does that good deed.  If I knew, I wouldn’t tell!!  Not throwing no third party under the bus that is y’all, no sir no ma’am!

When I look, there’s no “pinning” of articles on the website.    It’s whatever is more recent at the top.  There’s just a lot more relevant content from TBN than other papers, so they’re at the top more often.

23 hours ago, musichunch said:

First off, let me start by saying that I don't like that you are here and stop by every BN thread. People will hold back on their true opinions when you are here.

What is this holding back of opinions of which you speak?

I do not believe I have observed this thing.

So let’s say Mr. Barnett does dismisses his negative writers. He hires new ones, would the message change? 

Is is it the writer or is it your bias as a fan? 

Does a fan ever want to hear the negativity of their favorite team? 

I live in Pittsburgh, you would think there wouldn’t be any criticism or negative vibes because of their success, but you would be wrong, especially after a loss. 

We have a unique situation where someone has reached out and included fan columns, you want to voice your positive angle do so. Or is it just easier to complain about writers? 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t know how the articles are gathered - I suspect automatically but don’t know.  Might be someone who does that good deed.  If I knew, I wouldn’t tell!!  Not throwing no third party under the bus that is y’all, no sir no ma’am!

When I look, there’s no “pinning” of articles on the website.    It’s whatever is more recent at the top.  There’s just a lot more relevant content from TBN than other papers, so they’re at the top more often.

What is this holding back of opinions of which you speak?

I do not believe I have observed this thing.

I believe the expression often used is " The Portapotamus in the living room".

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There’s just a lot more relevant content from TBN than other papers, so they’re at the top more often.

That statement should be considered  your OPINION only. Why? There is simply no truth there. That's my opinion.

Pin Fairburn  and others at the top. And "relevant content" again that is your opinion. It is not fact.

Personally I could care less.  It's really not about the monthly chump change a subscription

to the paywall costs. It's about the for the most part the lack of relevant journalism actually lacking

in the whole edition of the BN. The Last "relevant" writer was Felser.  he was  as many know

one of the best writers in the country. I no longer support Sullivan, Gleason, etc. tired dribble.

I can get those "opinions" when up in Buffalo at any bar on Elmwood. When the ownership of Buffalo's

teams states their opinion on the news articles or writers. Never have I noticed support for the BN. Quite the opposite.

And ownership is the driving force in Buffalo now. Too bad the papers management cannot grasp this. Instead

they continue too irritate ownership. Why? I have no idea. The BN reward is very, very little inside access. Not

a smart business model. Again that is my opinion. I do not stand alone on it though. I will take

ANYTHING the AP reports over the Buffalo news sports writers. 

Sullivans baiting questions have made more than one Bills HC squirm. I used to follow his tweets

during games. He is a fan, for sure. I don't know if he stills does it during games. . 

his BN schtick is far from new (in his business) or more importantly relevant in any capacity any longer. 

Just stating an observation. The BN rarely prints anything breaking on the Bills. But 

IMO Buffalo Rumblings does on a daily basis. And it's free. And that is just a single example. There

are more examples. 

I rarely get involved in BN debates but your statementis flat out wrong IMO. since the paywall

went up it's hard not too notice that quanity over quality of the writing is the only noticeable change. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

That statement should be considered  your OPINION only. Why? There is simply no truth there. That's my opinion.

Again, as far as I can observe, nothing is pinned.  Edit: 4 hours ago, the News feed was filled with articles from Syracuse and various other news outlets.  2 hours ago, a bunch of articles from TBN were harvested and so now locked TBN articles fill the News feed.  But they aren’t pinned, in some interval of time other sources will be harvested and push the TBN stuff down.

By “relevant content” I mean simply, number of articles.  TBN has more articles with whatever criteria is used to harvest them.  So they tend to fill the page more often.  That’s all.  Sorry it wasn’t clear.

i don’t think number of articles is an opinion, but I guess your opinion could vary?  :huh:

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not that anybody cares :)

But to me one thing is that people who have the Buff News Bills Blitz Subscription don't really need a pointer for articles from this web site, right?

They have a subscription. They will go and see what is there one would suppose. 

So the pointers for that are really only informative, to people who can't see the content that they point to. (Setting the free ones aside but they show as locked as has been pointed out). So the pointers to TBN articles that are behind the paywall really do seem to function primarily as an advertisement for TBN. Like I say people who have that subscription will look there. People who don't get a daily reminder that they don't.

I think that is what bugs people. The news recap page has lost some of its usefulness. I myself now use Google instead to look for Bills news and articles.

That being said I think if the news page helps this website I am all for it. I don't pay a nickle to be here. Somebody must have to pay for it. More power to them I say.

I don't want to complain too much about features or advertisements on a website that I enjoy for free.

39 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Not that anybody cares :)

But to me one thing is that people who have the Buff News Bills Blitz Subscription don't really need a pointer for articles from this web site, right?

They have a subscription. They will go and see what is there one would suppose. 

So the pointers for that are really only informative, to people who can't see the content that they point to. (Setting the free ones aside but they show as locked as has been pointed out). So the pointers to TBN articles that are behind the paywall really do seem to function primarily as an advertisement for TBN. Like I say people who have that subscription will look there. People who don't get a daily reminder that they don't.

I think that is what bugs people. The news recap page has lost some of its usefulness. I myself now use Google instead to look for Bills news and articles.

That being said I think if the news page helps this website I am all for it. I don't pay a nickle to be here. Somebody must have to pay for it. More power to them I say.

I don't want to complain too much about features or advertisements on a website that I enjoy for free.

You’re missing the point. 

It Not about the buff News. It’s about the traffic generated HERE, twobillsdrive from the Buff News. 

There are more “subscribers” there than “members” here. 

Twobillsdrive goes as Buffnews goes, it’s a mutual relationship.

That is why Josh Barnett jumps on in a instant and SDS puts the Golden Locks first priority on the news page. 

Edited by Carter

7 hours ago, stony said:

Except the Times is bringing in nearly $100 million is digital subscription revenue annually. Their stock is at it's highest in 10 years.  Hardly a paywall failure.  

The N.Y. Times is journalism.  It leans too far left for many, but it is journalism. The [BN] is 'Smiles At' photo galleries.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:20 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Anyone have a really good Memphis style rib rub recipe? I’m looking for sweet with some heat. 

as Tom would say..you my friend are an idiot!!!! Google no work for you? You see the most famous dry rub rib joint in Memphis has no SWEET in it..that is for the sauce for neophytes  like you https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/rendezvous-style-memphis-rub-recipe

22 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

The Billuminati are definitely behind this. What other reason would there be for a Bills site to gather Bills articles from many sources, even a hometown source (?), for its members to read?

THe Billuminati...funniest thing I have read on this board in maybe forever!!!!

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The N.Y. Times is journalism.  It leans too far left for many, but it is journalism. The [BN] is 'Smiles At' photo galleries.

Dude, there are a few national papers..and the BN is not one. I for one love all the local stuff the BN does..i do not expect the BN to cover Washoington like the WAPO or NYT..differnt products for different audiences.

BTW, I give Mr. Barnett a ton of credit for taking the suggestions we had here and running with them last year. you might not love them if they were not yours, but at least they tried! I liked em cause they took one of mine on gambling..shocking I know I wanted gambling stuff..

Also, I might be dead wrong, but i dont think he can do a damn thing about the unholy triumvirate of Sully, Bucky and Harrington. Think those guys are protected by the guild, but i am only taking a guess. So you can B word all ya want, but not sure he can anything about that. 

8 hours ago, Carter said:

You’re missing the point. 

It Not about the buff News. It’s about the traffic generated HERE, twobillsdrive from the Buff News. 

There are more “subscribers” there than “members” here. 

Twobillsdrive goes as Buffnews goes, it’s a mutual relationship.

That is why Josh Barnett jumps on in a instant and SDS puts the Golden Locks first priority on the news page. 

I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain it to me please? How does the traffic go from TBN to here? I can see how it goes from here to there because of all the links that point there. But I never saw anything pointing back from  TBN to here.

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

as Tom would say..you my friend are an idiot!!!! Google no work for you? You see the most famous dry rub rib joint in Memphis has no SWEET in it..that is for the sauce for neophytes  like you https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/rendezvous-style-memphis-rub-recipe

Neophyte? I'll have you know Memphis ribs have absolutely NO SAUCE on them whatsoever.  Why you want to put sauce on a Memphis rib??

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

THe Billuminati...funniest thing I have read on this board in maybe forever!!!!

Dude, there are a few national papers..and the BN is not one. I for one love all the local stuff the BN does..i do not expect the BN to cover Washoington like the WAPO or NYT..differnt products for different audiences.

BTW, I give Mr. Barnett a ton of credit for taking the suggestions we had here and running with them last year. you might not love them if they were not yours, but at least they tried! I liked em cause they took one of mine on gambling..shocking I know I wanted gambling stuff..

Also, I might be dead wrong, but i dont think he can do a damn thing about the unholy triumvirate of Sully, Bucky and Harrington. Think those guys are protected by the guild, but i am only taking a guess. So you can B word all ya want, but not sure he can anything about that. 

The newspaper guild is a real mother hucker.  

I'd also give credit to the hires (albeit short-term stays) of Dunne and Martin.  They were quality writers, so much so, they were poached relatively quickly.