What's Up With the Buffalo Blitz Paywall?

I would get my neighbors BN in print when he was done with it and use it for a bird cage liner and it would do an amazing job cleaning windows - no streaks!!

Edited by aceman_16
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, mileena said:

I hate the BN. First you had to subscribe to read the sports section; now I can't read anything since they banned me for using ad blocker on my browser. What a loser newspaper.

The horror! you expected what exactly? It’s not the Penny Saver. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There isn't going to BE a local paper if they continue to hire sh***y writers like Sully and Bucky who insult their readers. Bucky's defense of Brandon's misconduct yesterday was particularly odious. It has gone downhill so much I am surprised they have the audacity to try and get money out of people for the worthless tripe they give readers. Almost little value and the complaints are totally valid!!!

• Like (+1) 4

I wish they would offer something for just the Bills and Sabres sections, or ideally include the Sabres news with the Blitz subscription, as that's pretty much all I read of the Buffalo News. 

The hockey section is not included in that $2.99 subscription for the Blitz. If it was, I'd re-subscribe. It just kind of aggravated me paying to read the Bills news and still getting locked out of the other sports coverage after a few free articles per week/month or whatever it was. 

They only other option is their their digital subscription for $72 per year. That's double what the Blitz subscription is. It's just not worth it when I can get pretty much the same coverage for free from other sites. 

31 minutes ago, Gale Gilbert said:

It's $2.99 a month and it helps support the local paper. Big deal. 

True but the problem is that they are essentially trying to charge for a product that they previously provided for free.  This is why I understand how fans get upset.

To be fair, it’s not just the BN that’s doing this.  Many newspapers in general are following suit.  It’s one way that they are trying to stay alive in a digital world.  

Careful OP. 

This is a sensitive topic on here. 

People who have been here long enough know the story behind buff news and this site, two b illsdrive.  

Pay wall etc. it’s all related. 

F9BDF5BE-BD4C-4D57-A9BA-6E06B59F956D.jpeg

It’s so inexpensive I don’t even know how this registers as a complaint. It’s less than a cup of coffee a month. If you don’t want to read the writers then don’t subscribe. If you do then it’s ridiculously  cheap. I don’t understand the vitriol. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so inexpensive I don’t even know how this registers as a complaint. It’s less than a of coffee a month. If you don’t want to read the writers then don’t subscribe. If you do then it’s ridiculously  cheap. I don’t understand the vitriol. 

My best crack at answering is readers who got upset with some of the writers subconsciously liked getting mad and disagreeing.  Now having to pay for that relationship is off putting.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so inexpensive I don’t even know how this registers as a complaint. It’s less than a of coffee a month. If you don’t want to read the writers then don’t subscribe. If you do then it’s ridiculously  cheap. I don’t understand the vitriol. 

It's not ridiculously cheap for the inferior product subscribers get, and like I said, they will be losing money hand over fist. They suck.

2 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Is the next thing to come out of the Buffalo News a $5.00 per month exclusive section whispering the doings de jour in Amherst and Orchard Park?

Stop being a tight arse and support your local newspaper!

If an Aussie can pay the $3.00 then so can a Buffalo native.

FFS, you probably spend more on your morning bagel and coffee.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's not ridiculously cheap for the inferior product subscribers get, and like I said, they will be losing money hand over fist. They suck.

Did you read everything he wrote? 

I wonder if the people selling slide rules went down without a fight? 

This is similar, they are dinosaurs, with writers people seem to almost universally dislike. (I haven’t read their stuff in years.) Good luck with that formula. 

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

$2.99 dude.  $2.99.

Also, unlike many papers, the BN operates in the black.  

• Like (+1) 1