CAPACCIO: What to Expect from Each of the Bills' 2018 Draft Picks

CAPACCIO: What to Expect from Each of the Bills' 2018 Draft Picks

The Buffalo Bills will hold their 2018 rookie minicamp next week. While undrafted free agents, tryout players, and even some players who were on the practice squad last year will be a part of it, most eyes will be on the team’s eight draft picks.

Here are what I believe to be reasonable expectations for each of those players this coming season:
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

IMO...I think Edmunds starts at MLB day 1.

If he’s too green to handle the play calling, someone like Alexander can take over.  He spoke about that on WGR and said the MLB doesn’t need to be the caller, he just usually is the designated guy....any linebacker can do it.

If hes the 3 down mlb and can’t playcall look for a guy like Hyde to be number 2. Ideally Zo won’t be on the field enough snaps for that job 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 5

All those expectations seem attainable. I am rooting for Proehl. If he can be near as steady as a player as his dad was he may be ok. I kind of expect him to be this years Rieley. 

Teller will start at some point this imo. I think we got a steal in him. Allen I think starts early. If he doesn't come out of the preseason as the starter, I feel like he will be by week 5ish.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If hes the 3 down mlb and can’t playcall look for a guy like Hyde to be number 2. Ideally Zo won’t be on the field enough snaps for that job 

Beat me to it.  We don't need Alexander in every down. He is actually a surprise cut for me. His speed was down last year and that's key for special teams. He plays way too many snaps

33 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the plan was to have Zo play more DE anyway. 

If he can recapture 2016 magic, that's the best place for him, besides the bench.

2 minutes ago, jr1 said:

start as many rookies as possible. They got the weight of the drought off their back

Allen and Teller could be day 1 starters, but Edmunds is the guy who will be in the lineup in Baltimore.  They need him. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Beat me to it.  We don't need Alexander in every down. He is actually a surprise cut for me. His speed was down last year and that's key for special teams. He plays way too many snaps

I’d be surprised if they cut him.  But I would like the Bills to sign Bowman to play early downs at Mike. And then in nickel keep Milano and Edmonds on the field. Alexander will be a rotational DE a backup LB and ST captain. Playing all ST’s.

9 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I’d be surprised if they cut him.  But I would like the Bills to sign Bowman to play early downs at Mike. And then in nickel keep Milano and Edmonds on the field. Alexander will be a rotational DE a backup LB and ST captain. Playing all ST’s.

....a good role for him....vet leadership, a Bflo blue blood and reasonable money at $2.85 mil............

34 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I see a lot of people down on Alexander. I get it: he's old and doesn't have the best change of direction and therefore not good in zone drops. 

But he made impact plays throughout the season (forced fumbles and run stops), and was an absolute BEAST in the playoff game. I think he offers a lot to this team with his versatility and leadership.

• Like (+1) 3

I like that he kept Neal at safety.  I think he'd learn a lot from both Poyer and Hyde. I am very interested to see what Mccloud can do.  He was a high recruit coming out of high school and he does have very solid speed even though his combine numbers don't show that.  His game speed is much faster IMO and I'd like to see what he can do on the offense.  He has some flash with the ball in his hands.  That being said, I'm just hoping he will be a good returner.  

Bovada set the over-under for starts with Josh Allen at 10.5.  The most of any of the 1st round QB's drafted.  I'm so tempted to bet the under, but I remember what happened with Kevin Kolb.

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Bovada set the over-under for starts with Josh Allen at 10.5.  The most of any of the 1st round QB's drafted.  I'm so tempted to bet the under, but I remember what happened with Kevin Kolb.

Comes down to what system they run on offense.  I have to believe it will be tailored to things Allen can do well.  If he is doing as well as McCarron in practice/pre-season games, even if he is not overly impressive, a tie goes to Allen and he will be in there week 1 in Bmore.

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I see a lot of people down on Alexander. I get it: he's old and doesn't have the best change of direction and therefore not good in zone drops. 

But he made impact plays throughout the season (forced fumbles and run stops), and was an absolute BEAST in the playoff game. I think he offers a lot to this team with his versatility and leadership.

If I'm not mistaken , Alexander was told at the beginning fo the off-season that we would play a lot more DE this year. W

I see Edmunds and Teller as one day starters. 

A couple of notes from the roster at BB.com. 

John Miller is only 24 years old, he's still very young and could be a good fit in Daboll's offense.

Ryan Groy is still listed as OG, I wonder what's the plan for him and Bodine. 

RT is still a big concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think these guys start for us this year.

- Tremaine Edmunds, ILB

- Taron Johnson, Nickle CB (nickel CB is on the field more than 60%)

- Wayatt Teller, G

I think Josh Allen sits 1 year and learns. 

The rest of our picks and UDFA Robert Foster, WR , Alabama will contribute.

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Comes down to what system they run on offense.  I have to believe it will be tailored to things Allen can do well.  If he is doing as well as McCarron in practice/pre-season games, even if he is not overly impressive, a tie goes to Allen and he will be in there week 1 in Bmore.

I hope they do a number of run/pass option plays.  Allen seems comfortable with those and is athletic enough to do it.  It seems like the wave of the future and the cheaters struggled with it in the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1

#7 QB Josh Allen.  Will not start day one but will be the starter by mid to late season.  Will either be the next coming of Jim Kelly or JP Losman

#16 LB Tremaine Edmunds: WR version of Eric Moulds.  Not an immediate starter and after two or three years the cries of bust will be sporadic.  But when he blooms he's gonna be a beast

#96 DT Harrison Phillips: Solid rotational defensive lineman

#121 CB Taron Johnson: Nickel/Dime and Special teamer.  Eventual starting CB

#154 DB Seran Neal: Rotational DB and special teamer

#166 OG Wyatt Teller: Backup guard

#187 WR Ray Ray McCloud: Practice Squad

#255 WR Austin Proehl: Practice Squad and future castoff WR that Tom Brady turns into a Pro Bowler

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree.  But he needs to play 50 percent of snaps or less.  That way he's fresh and can make an impact. 

On 5/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, Boyst62 said:

i think alexander's value is more as a mentor/vet leader/coach on the field/process guy. he is a special teamer, and and a guy who has always had to put the work in and adapt. he is also a high character, high energy guy that is great in the locker room, could be a great influence for the younger guys, and is also great with the media. even though he has not been a Bill for very long, i really love having this guy on my team. and even with his diminishing physical skills, i think he can still have a role and be productive on this team.

Daboll had a "specific plan" for Josh Allen if the Bills drafted him

Back at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Bills general manager Brandon Beane said he wouldn’t draft a quarterback simply based on what system new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll will run and how each individual QB would fit into that. After all, the quarterback is hopefully going to be lining up under center for the team for the next decade, while coordinators rarely have a shelf-life with one team for even half that many years.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, Richard Noggin said:

Agree. I want his attitude leadership and work ethic around Milano and Edmunds 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, Fixxxer said:

If I'm not mistaken , Alexander was told at the beginning fo the off-season that we would play a lot more DE this year. W

I see Edmunds and Teller as one day starters. 

A couple of notes from the roster at BB.com. 

John Miller is only 24 years old, he's still very young and could be a good fit in Daboll's offense.

Ryan Groy is still listed as OG, I wonder what's the plan for him and Bodine. 

RT is still a big concern. 

I think we may see a lot of turnover in the offensive line. With no Richie or Wood, now is the chance to reshuffle the deck. I honestly would love to go young....

If Bodine is the Center:

Dawkins-Groy-Bodine-Teller-McDermott

Newhouse-Redmond-Ducasse/Miller

If Groy is the center: 

Dawkins-Teller-Groy-Miller/Ducasse-McDermott

Newhouse-Bodine-Miller Ducasse

I think Groy and Bodine compete at center, but if Bodine wins the job, Groy becomes the LG. If Groy wins the job, I think Bodine goes to the bench. You could keep Newhouse as a swing and Ducasse as veteran depth. Miller in my mind is still competing with Ducasse. 

If Bodine wins the center job, and Groy starts at guard, you still need a backup who can snap and I'd keep an eye on Adam Redmond UDFA from Harvard. Obviously a smart guy. He's started two years at tackle and his senior year at center so has versatility. He is the exact type of player who Juan Castillo has turned into something in the past. Long, athletic, versatile, smart. 

Plugging Luke Joeckel in at left guard makes this all look a lot better. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1