Bills hire former Carolina LB Dan Morgan to front office

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A lot of our coaching staff was with Reid in Philly. We also have Shady. Traded Darby for Matthews and a pick last year. Could argue we are "Philadelphia West" as well. Or make any number of similar arguments since the NFL is really one small, incestuous community.

Glad they filled that spot with a Football Guy.

We also hired away Philly’s PR guy Derek Boyko

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

His position in Seattle was essentially  to be over-ridden most of the time by Schneider and Carroll. Perhaps he can help instruct Beane and McD on how to not de-construct a team with dynasty capabilities. Seattle needs to dump Pete so badly.

Seattle is a perfect example of why you build a team around the Quarterback, and not around an elite defense.

When it comes down to it, a team like New England only has to worry about ONE player on the roster.  Tom Brady.  They pay him what he wants, and make sure he stays healthy.  The rest of the roster just needs to be decent, without any glaring holes.  They will compete for the Super Bowl every single year.

A team like Seattle needs to worry about ELEVEN guys on the other side of the ball.  Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman goes down with an injury, they are in trouble.  Salary cap builds up, and they are forced to trade Michael Bennett and let Sheldon Richardson walk.  Make a few bad draft picks, and suddenly depth becomes a problem.  It's an impossible task to juggle for any extended length of time. 

With a talented QB like Russell Wilson, I'm sure the Seahawks can purge cap space and build their way back into being a contender (if they draft well).  But a team can only count on the "surrounding pieces" to be elite for so long, and then it's back to the QB being forced to carry everyone else.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Seattle is a perfect example of why you build a team around the Quarterback, and not around an elite defense.

When it comes down to it, a team like New England only has to worry about ONE player on the roster.  Tom Brady.  They pay him what he wants, and make sure he stays healthy.  The rest of the roster just needs to be decent, without any glaring holes.  They will compete for the Super Bowl every single year.

A team like Seattle needs to worry about ELEVEN guys on the other side of the ball.  Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman goes down with an injury, they are in trouble.  Salary cap builds up, and they are forced to trade Michael Bennett and let Sheldon Richardson walk.  Make a few bad draft picks, and suddenly depth becomes a problem.  It's an impossible task to juggle for any extended length of time. 

With a talented QB like Russell Wilson, I'm sure the Seahawks can purge cap space and build their way back into being a contender (if they draft well).  But a team can only count on the "surrounding pieces" to be elite for so long, and then it's back to the QB being forced to carry everyone else.

One worry I have with Morgan is the past few years of drafts by the Hawks. Shaquill Griffin, a very good player, was their best pick in 3 years. Other than that, they have had a number of whiffs. They seem to be clueless on how to build an O line, IMHO the Bills biggest weakness this coming season. They also have done poorly in selecting WR's, the Bills other main area of weakness.

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

One worry I have with Morgan is the past few years of drafts by the Hawks. Shaquill Griffin, a very good player, was their best pick in 3 years. Other than that, they have had a number of whiffs. They seem to be clueless on how to build an O line, IMHO the Bills biggest weakness this coming season. They also have done poorly in selecting WR's, the Bills other main area of weakness.

Morgan was not involved with the college scouting.  He was on the pro personnel side...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Morgan was on the pro personnel side. So look at the UFAs. Not draft picks and trades for Seattle to see Morgans influence. 

This is a good hire. Dan has a growing reputation and is going to get a GM job very soon. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You gotta' love the Bills hiring a former Miami Hurricane great.:thumbsup:

Only concern is the 30 or so concussions that forced him into retirement.

Supposedly it was leg/ankle injuries which forced retirement.

And surprise, surprise the Bills official website has been updated already.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 8:06 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Sarcasm, but thanks for filling me in. I didn't know that.

Promo, please go back to your old avatar. It's hard to keep up with the OGs, and you r 1.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Thank you (+1) 1