Peter King leaving Sports Illustrated after 29 years.

PIZ

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

SI is still around? 

It was no longer fun reading a recap of a game played 10 days earlier around 1994, right?

Without Peter King, the only relevant thing about SI is the swimsuit issue. Sadly for them.....

I used to love MMQB but I think it’s been written by a team for the past few years. Not as entertaining as when he did the whole thing by himself. I liked some of his off topic stories, but I’m probably in the minority. 

SI couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a webpage or old-timey magazine so they limped along trying to do both. SI couldn't even find a web address that wasn't 25 characters long. The tipping point was when smart phones became mainstream and they were still teasing their magazine content via the web instead of going all in on the internet.

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

His column was good when focused on football.  No so good when discussing travel, beer, coffee or politics.

I'm a regular reader of MMQB and you nailed it. I also like his mailbag column where he gives readers a chance to respond.

• Like (+1) 1

I think SI is panicking! After the last 20 +/- years without SI, an issue just showed up yesterday addressed to my wife, who has less than ZERO interest in sports. Are they just picking names out of an ancient phone book (remember those?) to get circulation up to please advertisers?