BuffaloBud420

Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

start him when he is ready.  he only has (2) seasons of experience.  putting a QB in when he isn't ready can derail his whole career.  

I would argue that it can quicken his demise, and kill his confidence, but that player wasn't going to have the requisite mental capacity or toughness to excel in the first place. If a QB is looking over his shoulder because he thinks the backup may replace him soon he probably shouldn't be out there anyway. 

If AJ starts this team goes nowhere in all likelihood. And Josh doesn't learn all he could be learning. 

26 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

Actually it wouldn’t surprise me if Mayfield beats Tyrod , not sure about  THE Darnold , 

Allen coming from a small school to NFL the speed of the game is on another level ,  and the most important IMO is the OL  , we can’t have them perform like they did last year in LA for Peterman 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Most coaches, especially defensive ones are not inclined to start a rookie on opening day. Fans may want it, but probably not McD. Allen would have to be obviously superior in most every area to see the field that early. 

Sure, if he looking like Andrew Luck did his 1st preseason, maybe.

I listened to Beane when he said we won't rush him but................he had a look like he probably will not start.

Just now, Putin said:

Actually it wouldn’t surprise me if Mayfield beats Tyrod , not sure about  THE Darnold , 

Allen coming from a small school to NFL the speed of the game is on another level ,  and the most important IMO is the OL  , we can’t have them perform like they did last year in LA for Peterman 

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

I hope they dont ...this board will be insufferable with all the I TOLD YOU SO 
GET TT BACK HERE RIGHT NOW OR IM NOT BEING A BILLS FAN ANYMORE! posts

if they don't win 63-0 right away

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If he's as bad as he was on Wyoming, then starting him would probably be the worst thing they could do.  

Edited by Julio Hopkins

If Allen beats out Peterman/McCarron cleanly he'll be the starter but like Beane said in the presser he's way behind the other 2 already so it will be all up to Allen, how well he's able to adapt, learn and process everything that he will be given and make it work on the field with reps. I cannot wait to go watch him in training camp, I hear it's a hell of a lot of fun watching him throw 60 yarders effortlessly.

Allen should start day one or after game 4.  Any later is scary to me.  

You can bet your butt Rosen is starting day 1

If he earns the job he’ll start. If not he’ll sit. Why would you want to force him out there if he’s not ready? 

Thats the opposite of what you you should do with a raw guy like Allen. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

That's the one thing he's used to. Getting pressure immediately. His OL was godawful. 

I’m far from being an expert on this whole subject , but I think it would make sense before he steps on the field  #1- he has decent protection ( OL ) 

#2- maybe another weapon or two  , a little more speed on the outside , and of course it wouldn’t hurt to have a good reliable TE , am I asking for a little too much ?

• Like 1

NO  WAY   IN   HELL         WILL  HE  START  DAY 1 !

I implore the Bills to sit him until we have a deep threat WR and a solid Offensive line. Teams will Blitz this kid ALL DAY!

David Carr YEAR 1

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2002 23 HOU QB 8 16 16 4-12-0 233 444 52.5 2592 9 2.0 15 3.4 81 5.8 4.7 11.1 162.0 62.8   76 411 4.19 3.24 14.6 2 3 5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

If he earns the job he’ll start. If not he’ll sit. Why would you want to force him out there if he’s not ready? 

Thats the opposite of what you you should do with a raw guy like Allen. 

...should be careful with that "voice of reason stuff" 'round these parts unless your fox hole is deep and you're wearing a kevlar vest.......why of course this gang is out to save their collective skin and jobs by starting the kid to justify the pick, right (COUGH/CHOKE)"?.......after all, the FIRST draft of McBeane and his staff of 17+ along with McD & McDaboll constitutes a CAREER in TBD circles, right?......SMH.....

11 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Allen should start day one or after game 4.  Any later is scary to me.  

You can bet your butt Rosen is starting day 1

Goff started in week 9. Rosen will start on day 1 because Bradford will already be injured. 

• Haha 2

Starting a rookie QB right out of the box is like putting a new V8 engine in your car, and red-lining it on its first start. It may end up fine, but it's also a good way of damaging a brand new engine.

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But, so were a lot of the defenses they were playing, no? 

• Like 1

They need to start him when HE is ready. After his footwork has been corrected, after he has a firm knowledge of the playbook, after he has developed chemistry with his receivers and when the O line play is stable. That is when he will have the best chance for success.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

NO  WAY   IN   HELL         WILL  HE  START  DAY 1 !

I implore the Bills to sit him until we have a deep threat WR and a solid Offensive line. Teams will Blitz this kid ALL DAY!

David Carr YEAR 1

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2002 23 HOU QB 8 16 16 4-12-0 233 444 52.5 2592 9 2.0 15 3.4 81 5.8 4.7 11.1 162.0 62.8   76 411 4.19 3.24 14.6 2 3 5

Allen already does a lot of scrambling, right? A trait for which Tyrod was often mocked on this site. IMO, a rookie starting too early is a great way to learn bad habits. But, if we don't fix our O-line, Allen may very well turn into a running QB, and have a lot of trouble fixing all the mechanics that every pundit has pointed out- footwork, accuracy, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

You expect wrong, no way is mayfield starting over Tyrod.  Darnold might start for the Jets.  

Wanting allen to start day 1 is asinine and irresponsible.

sit him a year, next offseason and draft get offense early and often to build around him

I agree 100%. Allen himself is not ready to start early and our offensive talent is not at a level that gives him a good chance of success. I say we let Mccarron show if he is worth trading next year and let Allen sit and learn.

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes but one thing that we can all agree on is the level of competition  ( defense) he will be facing is something that he will have to learn to digest (  quickly) he can not always rely on his athleticism to ascape the pocket like he did in AA division school , 

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Allen already does a lot of scrambling, right? A trait for which Tyrod was often mocked on this site. IMO, a rookie starting too early is a great way to learn bad habits. But, if we don't fix our O-line, Allen may very well turn into a running QB, and have a lot of trouble fixing all the mechanics that every pundit has pointed out- footwork, accuracy, etc.

I am right with you. Better that he watches the mistakes or masterful plays that AJM deals with initially. Play the kid at the end of the season.

Week 17: vs. Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 30 at home in the snow and play to his strengths. Then in 2019 give him weapons and a power running game!

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes but one thing that we can all agree on is the level of competition  ( defense) he will be facing is something that he will have to learn to digest (  quickly) he can not always rely on his athleticism to ascape the pocket like he did in AA division school , 

Heck yeah.  MIN and LAC defense's are a little different than Air Force/Utah State.

The best option should win the job.  

And if its it’s the rookie then Beane screwed up signing AJ. 

14 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

They need to start him when HE is ready. After his footwork has been corrected, after he has a firm knowledge of the playbook, after he has developed chemistry with his receivers and when the O line play is stable. That is when he will have the best chance for success.

I don’t know how anyone can disagree with ^

13 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes, but we are not going to ask him to drop back in the pocket, look off coverage, go through three reads and then make a great decision. We are going to have him hand off a lot, throw easy passes, do play action and throw downfield to his first read so the defense must play off the ball and honest. 

• Like 1

My guess is it will be an open camp. 

And so it should be.