RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Mayock, Walter Football and countless other draft guys have Allen ranked as the #2 QB. I am not totally sold on him either, but I've seen some of his games and he's got some impressive ability. Needs some work, OK with him sitting if he has to. Let's get behind the kid and win some Lombardis dangit!

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say it right now , I hated the pick. Face palmed it in a bar draft party. After the dust has settled, I'm trying to talk myself into it. I need it fascinating that they had a choice and passed on Rosen. Absolutely stunned. I wonder what the determining factors in that choice ?  I guess it's better than say, AZ moving up and making the choice for you. The Bills weren't getting the second pick without giving up the farm, but they could have. Were the Giants just unwilling to move? Did the Bills want Darnold ?  I'm disappointed , but I'll just give Allen every chance to prove he doesn't suck before I decide that he does. Rosen seemed like the safe pick to me, and I guess BBFS will make you gravitate to that because you just don't want them to be wrong. A GM will probably see that differently. Beane and Co have staked their future on this kid, so they'd better be right. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you’re a good poster too.  And no offense since I used to be like that, but you’re also a bit of a homer. And I mean that as a compliment.

1) Rosen literally played with one of the worst defenses in college.  He had to put 30-40 points every game to even have a chance for his team to win.

2) I love and hate the offseason.  The idea that guys rise and fall in the offseason months after their last games blows my mind.  So yeah, I put little stock into his accuracy improving in shorts.

3) A lot of accuracy is muscle memory.  While this can be slightly improved, I think it is more challenging to get consistent with it than people realize.  For example, I am capable of hitting some great golf shots.  However, I will never be on the PGA because I lack consistency.  I think the EJ comparison is valid because he was about as hard of worker as the Bills have ever had. He just lacked the muscle memory to ever been consistent.

4) I respect Beane’s rise.  But let’s not act like these guys are Gods.  They miss all the tome.  There are plenty of examples of this message board being right over nfl GMs (I remember people loving Russell Wilson).

the nfl is about nepotism.  Bill Polian basicslly got like 10 guys from Saint Francis High School nfl jobs because they were friends with his son.

so I hate being negative but I need to be consistent.  I was against this from the beginning. I don’t question how hard he will work or how much research the Bills did. I just didn’t see it from this guy and it seems like a huge risk, especially when I saw games where Rosen looked like Aaron Rodgers.

but I pray you’re right and I’m wrong!

All good brother, and listen, Allen was NOT my choice either.  However, I had Rosen and Allen about the same on my risk board and Lamar right there with them.  The only QB I was very high on was Baker.  

So, for me, its not about being a homer...its about not seeing one QB so far over the other that I am upset at who we got.  I was actually quite against Allen going into the offseason, but I even admitted in threads that his offseason had actually started to sway me and wowed me.  I am not a guy who likes "combine heroes" but Allen had undisputedly the best workouts and combine and shown great improvement in areas he was working on.  And thats what you want to see, guys making progress and quickly.  

And also, the inaccuracy issue is over exaggerated a bit when you look at the garbage Allen played with and all the dropped passes, weak routes, etc.  There are GM's on record saying he was by far the best QB prospect in this draft (even though I didn't share that opinion personally).

So, at the end of the day...I don't see why its necessary to freak out today.  I mean a couple hours ago, he was looking to go top 4, maybe even #1 overall.  So there is still a lot to like about the kid.  Spending time now trying to make a case for him to be a bust is futile...hes a Bill...our regime loved him for a reason.  So lets just be stoked we got a new QB with a huge ceiling and a great LB prospect too and wait to judge him after he shows us what he can do with pads on.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Trying to find a silver lining about Josh Allen: 

Mayock had Wentz as his No. 1 QB. Same with Allen. Okay, I think Mayock is pretty bad, but this is promising.

Allen's HC at WY is the same HC who recruited Wentz at ND State. Hmmmmmmmm

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can he improve like Wentz did?

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

I was afraid we would be stuck with "what's left" - be it Rosen or Allen.  We played it right, near perfect, didn't overpay and had our choice of the two and took Allen.  We should all be psyched, regardless of who we wanted, until Bills are proven wrong.  They identified their guy and went and got him.  They did not want Rosen.  Wishing the Rosen kid the best since he is not in our conference, but we got our man.  That is all one can ask for at this point.  Time will tell if we are right.  

I know this probably is not the time with everyone wanting to jump out of windows but........................

Can the Bill's get a guy like Jordan Palmer to work with Allen?

They seem to have worked together well (I remember Mayock saying that at Allen's Pro Day).

Mayock commented on Josh's improvement of footwork.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Mayock had Wentz as his No. 1 QB. Same with Allen. Okay, I think Mayock is pretty bad, but this is promising.

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can improve like Wentz did?

Yes.

I don't care what any of you idiots say, none you you know what you're talking about, some of you who claimed you did would actually be too busy actually working what you claim do be doing to be actually on two bill's drive. Go  Bill's! Trust the process!!!!

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

I mean, there is obvious talent there...but can improve like Wentz did?

Mayock had Allen #2. 

LOL so many silly geese in this thread. 

There were like zero mock drafts that had Allen outside of pick #10 in Round 1. 

There were a lot of professional (read: they get paid for their opinions) NFL talent evaluators that considered him the #1 prospect this year. 

But the silly geese here already know he will never play a down in the NFL and is guaranteed to fail. 

LOL again. The echo chamber here is ultra strong. The silly temper tantrums folks are throwing because they got the wrong top 10 prospect are entertaining. Please do continue with the salty tears. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, twist_to_open said:

I don't care what any of you idiots say, none you you know what you're talking about, some of you who claimed you did would actually be too busy actually working what you claim do be doing to be actually on two bill's drive. Go  Bill's! Trust the process!!!!

This kind of comment is so ignorant and retarded. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Mayock had Allen #2. 

DOH! 

18 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Yup. Trading up for a project QB always works out. Happens regularly. Clearly they know nothing about offense. And Arizona is laughing.

AZ wanted Allen 1st - per Rapoport