Some Info to Worry Less About Josh Allen's Inaccuracy

Irv

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

well, there ya go.  Case closed!

No where did he say "case closed" or even imply such a thing.

As a matter of fact he said:

"Some info to worry less"  about his accuracy issues.

That is in stark contrast to your overreaction to what he posted.  He merely posted a data point which of course isn't all-encompassing but a data point none the less to show you that some QB's do indeed improve with their accuracy.   

And Dan Marino's.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Pitt         693 1204 57.6 8597 7.1 5.9 79 69 127.7
*1979 Pitt Ind   QB 12 130 222 58.6 1680 7.6 6.6 10 9 128.9
*1980 Pitt Ind   QB 12 116 224 51.8 1609 7.2 5.7 15 14 121.7
*1981 Pitt Ind   QB 12 226 380 59.5 2876 7.6 6.8 37 23 143.1
*1982 Pitt Ind   QB 12 221 378 58.5 2432 6.4 4.6 17 23 115.2

I haven’t watched enough of him to know, so I’m genuinely asking, what kind of offends did they run at Wyoming?

All the highlights I see are downfield throws (probably why they are highlights), do we know if there were a lot of underneath routes and screens in their game plan? Sometimes guys with high completion percentages are somewhat the product of scheme. Not saying that is the issue, but curious if it may factor in?

If he completes one more pass per game,  he's a 60%+ passer.  Somehow,  I doubt that a difference of one pass completion per game is going to make or break him. 

That's not to say that he doesn't need to work on his accuracy,   but that the completion percentage stuff is kind of overblown.  

Stats matter but they're NOT the end all be all. For accuracy, it's not only  the completion %. It's the drops (which were very low so not good here), the OL protection, the quality of WRs, the schemes! If he played in dink and donk offense it better be high, but for bombs away offense it's another thing. IDK, so I can't even have an opinion, but I'm sure some of you guys do, and Beane and McD most likely - hopefully! My point is, maybe he is indeed inaccurate, but stats are not enough to make the case.

Anyway, again, there's no rewind button, he is a Bills QB. Let's root for the guy to be great! It doesn't mean to not criticize the choice but damn, let Allen feel welcomed here at least!

30 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm cool with the Allen pick...

I probably would have taken Rosen, but I also get why they took Allen instead.

That said, people need to stop comparing his comp% to players from 2 generations ago. It does not help your case.

Just go with, as Mayock said yesterday "projection over production", where you realize he had inferior talent and coaching and believe you're staff can mold him. He does have the highest ceiling of anybody in this class, but also the highest bust potential by a mile. There is no way to spin that horrendous comp % positively. It's bad, but hopefully he improves his fundamentals and becomes what they drafted him to be.

Just WHEN  has our team showed that we can develop a QB?

Never! This is EJ and Cardale Jones all over again.

Im also team Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold.

I just ran through a bunch more of Allens games on YouTube.

Allen is just not good enough.  Rosen is the chosen one and we messed up big time. This team sucks. The LBer pick was great. Allen is garbage tho. Were fcked. Better hope AJMc is good.

13 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Football has changed 8 times since then genius. Try to keep up.

Really? So tell me, genius, how do they calculate completion percentage these days? I’m not the one having a problem keeping up here, am I

3 hours ago, mannc said:

It’s directly relevant.  The Anti-Allen gang contends that (1) Sub-60% completion in college equals NFL failure, and (2) QBs with poor “accuracy” (as measured by completion percentage, apparently) can never improve. The Kelly and Favre college stats seem to directly contradict both points.  The burden on is on you to show why those stats don’t mean anything.   Just saying “they’re old” doesn’t cut it.

Don't the  leading QBs in Today's NFL have a completion rate that is typically in the mid to high 60s?   Kelly , Favre, and Marino had completion rates  in sub 60s to low 60s during their NFL playing years.  They didnt exactly have to improve much from their college days.  Josh, on the other hand,  would need to see a double digit increase in completion rate?

Edited by prissythecat

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Allen is just not good enough.  Rosen is the chosen one and we messed up big time. This team sucks. The LBer pick was great. Allen is garbage tho. Were fcked. Better hope AJMc is good.

Just WHEN has this staff had a chance to try and develop a QB?

But, you know... Carry on

3 hours ago, mannc said:

It’s directly relevant.  The Anti-Allen gang contends that (1) Sub-60% completion in college equals NFL failure, and (2) QBs with poor “accuracy” (as measured by completion percentage, apparently) can never improve. The Kelly and Favre college stats seem to directly contradict both points.  The burden on is on you to show why those stats don’t mean anything.   Just saying “they’re old” doesn’t cut it.

So you're saying that Allen is a HOF'er???  Please pass the magic 8 ball.

3 hours ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

lol, like it correlates at all to today's NFL.  Gullible Bills fans grasping at straws to not feel bad about the inevitable implosion.

Great point!

3 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

When has the team committed to a top 10 QB?  

3 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm cool with the Allen pick...

I probably would have taken Rosen, but I also get why they took Allen instead.

That said, people need to stop comparing his comp% to players from 2 generations ago. It does not help your case.

Just go with, as Mayock said yesterday "projection over production", where you realize he had inferior talent and coaching and believe you're staff can mold him. He does have the highest ceiling of anybody in this class, but also the highest bust potential by a mile. There is no way to spin that horrendous comp % positively. It's bad, but hopefully he improves his fundamentals and becomes what they drafted him to be.

Shotgunner, I didn't know who you were before this post, and forgive me, I am probably going to forget you five minutes after I go to lunch.

However, we for now have right now for now and right now...I love you.

Thanks for the great, frank, and calming post, buddy.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

What "they're old" means is that the game of football has changed. Rules have changed to favor passing. Guys like Kelly and Favre, etc., played in an era where you could destroy WRs. The average completion % of passers today is much high than the average from 20-30+ years ago.