Why Jake Locker walked away from football.

PIZ

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

every time I read about how a player or coach spends all day every day studying film and preparing I wonder how much of that is actually necessary...

12 hours is not necessarily 4 hours better than 8. The law of diminishing returns has to come in somewhere

Rex extrapolated this theory to about 45 minutes per day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Good friend of mine was once invited on a date by an incredibly hot girl we knew. He couldn't believe his luck! Thing is she took him to a Jews for Jesus convention. When he asked her why she did that she explained that he was the only Jew she knew. 

So I guess some Jews believe that Jesus is the Messiah (tho my friend isn't one of them).

He should have believed in Jesus for one night.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good thing Rosen is Jewish.

Jesus can't interfere with football if he doesn't believe he exists.

Rosen may be Jewish by race but he is a devout atheist and pushes his beliefs on all that will listen. It's a huge reason I doubt he will play well in any NFL locker room, that and behaving like a rich entitled brat.

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Rex extrapolated this theory to about 45 minutes per day. 

He instead spent hours listing his wife as available for ******* threesomes on pertinent websites

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

Rosen may be Jewish by race but he is a devout atheist and pushes his beliefs on all that will listen. It's a huge reason I doubt he will play well in any NFL locker room, that and behaving like a rich entitled brat.

Link?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Stop making stuff up.

He described himself as "kind of an atheist" when he was in high school.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He instead spent hours listing his wife as available for ******* threesomes on pertinent websites

Link?

He doesn't have one he's just making up stuff

I get it. Starting QB is a lot of pressure and you have a lot of people counting on you and if your head isn't in it you could feel like you are letting them down. But BACKUP QB is entirely different. Go to a team with a really top notch starter and just ride the bench and collect $5 mil per year. It's the best job in the world

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I get it. Starting QB is a lot of pressure and you have a lot of people counting on you and if your head isn't in it you could feel like you are letting them down. But BACKUP QB is entirely different. Go to a team with a really top notch starter and just ride the bench and collect $5 mil per year. It's the best job in the world

Matt Moore, Chase Daniel and Chad Henne agree.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Matt Moore, Chase Daniel and Chad Henne agree.

Matt Cassel, professional backup. Never even started in college. No stress, no expectations. And he's rich!

Matt Cassel net worth and salary: Matt Cassel is an American football player who has a net worth of $30 million dollars and annual salary of $5.25 million.

51 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The most important part of that article was about how dysfunctional the organization was.  Locker was doomed the minute he was drafted.

He certainly was hampered and not helped by the organization.  Gotta love how Hasselbeck disses off even their nutrition! 

Doomed?  Bradford played through a series of poor OCs (4 in his first 4 years) before rejuvenating himself in Philly under Shurmer, looking pretty good in Minn, and earning a gig in AZ.  Alex Smith had similar crap coaching until Harbaugh took over, after seeing playoffs for years he's now banking the big bucks in Washington.

So I don't think he was doomed.  But I do think it shows how a poor organization and poor coaching can stack the odds against a player's success, who might have had quite a different career trajectory with a different team.

56 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:
He graded almost 2 full points higher than Darnold, yet there are people who are willing to pay a super high price for the chance to draft him...how come? I am genuinely curious.

Overall Grade 7.97

OVERVIEW

Locker decided to return for his senior season and his erratic performance has certainly hurt his draft stock. An extremely gifted athlete, Locker's production does not match his talent. He possesses a cannon for an arm, but he is not an efficient passer. At this point, his greatest asset is his athleticism and it is unclear if he will ever be a starting quarterback at the next level. Also, Locker has a history of injuries due to his aggressive style of play. Overall, Locker has all the physical tools and a team will likely take a chance on him in the first round despite his inconsistent production.

Overall Grade 6.19 
Overview
Josh Rosen's footwork and mechanics make him as pretty a quarterback as you will find in this year's draft. The biggest concern with Rosen is that his on-field success requires many elements to stay on schedule. He lacks plus arm strength, so identifying coverage (pre- and post-snap) and throwing with anticipation takes on added importance. Rosen has the pocket poise, accuracy and intelligence to become a good NFL starter, but he needs to be willing to take what defenses give him more frequently. Rosen will need to quell concerns surrounding leadership and coachability early on in order to establish a strong first impression and get his career off on the right foot.

To me, the book on Locker is similar to that of Josh Allen. 

57 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:
He graded almost 2 full points higher than Darnold, yet there are people who are willing to pay a super high price for the chance to draft him...how come? I am genuinely curious.
(Locker) Overall Grade 7.97

(Darnold) 7.0

(Rosen) 6.19

I didn't check - was the same guy writing the scouting reports on NFL.com back in 2014 when Locker was drafted (Lance Zierlein)?

I can't tell you, but I can throw out some thoughts:

1) Even if it's Zierlein for all of them, what does he do to calibrate his grading from year to year and make sure he is grading the same factors the same way? Greg Cosell, who is a good QB talent evaluator, says that he doesn't try to compare QB between draft years.  I can see where it would certainly ratchet up the complexity.  You would have to not only watch extensive game film on each prospect, you would have to watch it in comparison to "benchmark film" on other year's prospects. 
2) Zierlein typically has some pretty astute things to say, but at the end of the day, his grade is one scout's opinion, with factors weighted according to the importance he gives them.  NFL teams each weight factors differently.

What a well, respectfully written piece.

I really like the "not what Locker ran from, but what he ran to," angle.

As Alaska Darin pointed out ... Locker didn't stand a chance in that crap organization.  This happens a lot; including in Buffalo.  Sad stories.

But this one really isn't sad.  I never knew crap about Locker, but based on what I just read, I've got a ton of respect for him.

One of my biggest takeaways was his father, Scott's, high level of importance that he seems to place on football.  When his grandson drew the picture, he immediately went to it being of a football player ... almost HOPING that his grandson will "finish" what his son started.  But there is definitely a great bond between Locker and his dad.

I really enjoyed reading this.

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh Jesus exists, how do you think the landscaping gets done?

Just ask Gugny... He'll set people straight.

Speaking of straight, those lines better be straight in my yard, or Jesus will have hell to pay!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What a well, respectfully written piece.

I really like the "not what Locker ran from, but what he ran to," angle.

As Alaska Darin pointed out ... Locker didn't stand a chance in that crap organization.  This happens a lot; including in Buffalo.  Sad stories.

But this one really isn't sad.  I never knew crap about Locker, but based on what I just read, I've got a ton of respect for him.

One of my biggest takeaways was his father, Scott's, high level of importance that he seems to place on football.  When his grandson drew the picture, he immediately went to it being of a football player ... almost HOPING that his grandson will "finish" what his son started.  But there is definitely a great bond between Locker and his dad.

I really enjoyed reading this.

Speaking of straight, those lines better be straight in my yard, or Jesus will have hell to pay!

Agreed all around. It was an excellent article and gave me a whole new perspective on Locker and just life in general

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Other than the usual lazy analysis that having other life interests equates to not caring enough about football, I didn’t see anything in that article that suggests Josh Rosen is anything like Jake Locker. 

From all I’ve seen Josh Rosen is a deeply curious about many things, including how to be great in football. 

It’s a fallacy to believe that because someone has multiple interests they are incapable of sticking to and becoming an expert in any of them. 

Your last statement here is perfect. I think a lot of people fail to realize that these guys are human with flaws and other interests and hobbies, etc. I cringe when an athlete tweets out a photo of him and his family having fun, or just the athlete alone doing something unrelated to football and the comments are flooded with BS from people saying, "You should be watching film!" or "You sucked last year, you should be in the weight room!" Some people seem to truly believe that athletes should be living and breathing their occupation 100% of the time. And that's crap. 

No matter what your occupation is, you should never allow yourself to be completely consumed by it. There must always be a work-life balance in order to stay healthy both physically and especially mentally. These guys are regular people with a very interesting and high profile job. They need time away just like anyone else. 

I think it shocks a lot of people when an athlete retires early for reasons other than injury. They see it as, "How can you walk away from that opportunity and all that money?" Well, easy...if your heart isn't in it, should you be doing it? And these guys are in the position to decide things with that in mind because they don't have to worry about continuing with the daily grind just to make a paycheck. Most regular schmoes don't have those options so I think they have a warped view of how athletes handle their jobs. 

And, to clarify, I include myself as a regular schmoe. All I mean is most average everyday people do jobs they're not passionate about but can't just walk away from because they gotta earn a paycheck. Some people may be surprised to know that a moderate percentage of players in the league don't play for love of the game or to win titles or to even rack up crazy stats. Some play because they discovered they were good enough and knew they could make some serious money. For some it's the achievement of a dream, for others it's just a job. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wasnt one of the big things with Locker was he was not very accurate?

This is one of the things that actually gives me pause and be on board with Major Bobby on who we should draft.....I think natural accuracy is a huge trait for a QB.   I have been a support of L. Jackson as well because I dont think he has reached his ceiling and is getting better every year....but i would be lying if I said that I dont consider accuracy important.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

How many of us, if we got a $12 million check TODAY would continue doing exactly what we are doing right now in terms of work/hours?

Once going to work becomes purely a choice things change. I know I would be home a lot more and not spending 10-12 hrs a day working.

It's great that he realized how to make 12M last a lifetime. How often do you hear about athletes who have made way more than that being broke? Peerless Price, Mike Tyson, Allen Iverson, TO, Christian Laettner just off the top of my head. I've always thought that I can see every million up to the 5 making a difference in my life. After that it would just be making a difference in persons I know lives.

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Good friend of mine was once invited on a date by an incredibly hot girl we knew. He couldn't believe his luck! Thing is she took him to a Jews for Jesus convention. When he asked her why she did that she explained that he was the only Jew she knew. 

So I guess some Jews believe that Jesus is the Messiah (tho my friend isn't one of them).

Messianic Judaism or Jews for Jesus Is not a true Jewish sect

Jewish people by law are still waiting for their Messiah so a true Jewish person cannot have faith in Jesus Christ. If he does , he is no longer Jewish by law, but a Christian 

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I really don't think anyone need worry about Rosen finding Jesus.  While they all agree jesus was a mench, the Chosen People view him as just another prophet.

That certainly isn’t true at all.. They don’t believe in Jesus in any capacity. Certainly not as a prophet 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Messianic Judaism or Jews for Jesus Is not a true Jewish sect

Jewish people by law are still waiting for their Messiah so a true Jewish person cannot have faith in Jesus Christ. If he does , he is no longer Jewish by law, but a Christian 

That certainly isn’t true at all

Oh yeah! Prove it.

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Wasnt one of the big things with Locker was he was not very accurate?

That's correct.  His best 1 completion % in college was 58.4% Jr year, overall 54%

Best NFL 2013, 60.7%

Now of course, accuracy isn't the same thing as completion percent - a QB can have a high completion percentage and not be that accurate (EJM)

But if a QB doesn't have a high completion percentage in college, best be sure you understand why and believe it can be addressed.

The problem with issues in technique is that they're often built into muscle memory and people regress under stress or worse, slow down and think.