Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Bills might have traded Hughes on draft weekend to move up as a possible scenario, but the Bills have kept Hughes and added Murphy -- both capable starting DE's in the NFL. So what is the plan for the underachieving Shaq Lawson? Will they try him out at Sam LB in place of the aging Lorenzo Alexander? Will he be a 1st round bench warmer? Will they try to deal him or save him?

Edited by GreggTX

A good question, and one the HC and GM need to address sooner than later.  Some mentoring from Alexander is a possibility before the aging defender is ready to pass the baton off. Time will tell, but the future is now.

Run edge defender and depth. I don’t think he’s a bad player, he’s just not effective getting after the passer.   I’m sure they’d field offers for him if there were interested teams.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Shaq might not make the 53 man roster.  Ditto for John Miller.  If he stays, I see him as part of the vaunted “rotation.”

Shaq is very good against the run. With better play inside, he may be more effective against the pass. I do not see him getting cut.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Shaq is battling for a roster spot this summer. Could come down to him and Eddie Yarbrough.

Not close to being true. Shaw is the best edge-setter we have and our HC likes rotating DL. 

• Like (+1) 2

He was injured in year 1 and basically missed camp.  He wasn't a world beater but neither was Yarbrough or Davis.  

I doubt he's cut as his cap hit will more than double if released.  Traded maybe, but only if they believe that they have the depth at DE to cover his loss.

As for him as a player - obviously we'd all like to see more from him.  But he's on a rookie contract, he's 23 years old, and there's a ton of potential there - hopefully he's motivated to get a 5th year option or raise.

13 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I thought the Bills might have traded Hughes on draft weekend to move up as a possible scenario, but the Bills have kept Hughes and added Murphy -- both capable starting DE's in the NFL. So what is the plan for the underachieving Shaq Lawson? Will they try him out at Sam LB in place of the aging Lorenzo Alexander? Will he be a 1st round bench warmer? Will they try to deal him or save him?

If they are going to use him in pass rush situations.........if he hasn't made miraculous strides on his get-off........ I hope they let him stand up so he can be moving forward at the snap.

There is no point of getting into a 3 point stance to rush the passer if you can't fire out of it quickly.    

Once the OT is balanced the battle is effectively lost,  hence the importance of that first step in evaluating pass rush prospects.  

I've wondered if that's why Rex thought he might do well at OLB in his scheme because the Clemson tape of his get-off is just as brutal as the pro tape......just playing against lesser offensive lineman and with more disruptive teammates and usually with big leads.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Shaq is very good against the run. With better play inside, he may be more effective against the pass. I do not see him getting cut.

I don’t see him getting cut but if he falls on the depth chart, I do see a possible trade in his future.  Very similar to Reggie Ragland