Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

2 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Maybe they could get on the line in an upright postion instead of down in a stance?

I've wondered if that wasn't part of the reasoning of Rex Ryan wanting him and projecting him as an OLB...........stand him up, get him moving forward and then you don't have to worry about the awful get off from a 3 point stance.

Rex knew the value of a first step though..........hell he scooped up Aaron Maybin and immediately managed to nurse 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles out of the guy even though his ONLY skill was a first step and even though he was only playing football in the same manner that Pro Wrestlers are fighting.   

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Sweet let’s make fun of another bill. You folks need a therapist. 

Overly defensive ?

Maybe we could get a  two for one  price deal on a therapy session and split the bill ?

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Haha (+1) 1

So a football player who has disappointed so far wants to be better?

Stop the presses.

what else is he going to say? 

“Yeah, I’m just going to coast this year, get paid, and hopefully get a sack or two.”

Edited by Domdab99

28 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Sweet let’s make fun of another bill. You folks need a therapist. 

We're just not happy unless we're miserable.

I'm ready to give up on Allen.  Who's with me?

4 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Stop the presses.

what law he is going to say? 

“Yeah, I’m just going to coast this year, get paid, and hopefully get a sack or two.”

I want to see a player tell us that, then make the Pro-Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Stop the presses.

what law he is going to say? 

I guess the intent  of  the "Lawson at Clemson" feed was just an impetus to get us talking about whether the kid has a future with Bills ?
Has plenty to prove this year. Lets just hope he becomes part of a solid rotation up front !

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

We're just not happy unless we're miserable.

I'm ready to give up on Allen.  Who's with me?

I want to see a player tell us that, then make the Pro-Bowl.

nobody likes a quitter Tom.
pull yourself together

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Stop the presses.

what else is he going to say? 

it might be refreshing for one to say he knows he's slacked off in the past and plans to slack off even more for the rest of his fat contract

Shaw has the same problem in college. He was  the last one to get out of his stance on numerous snaps I watched.

having said that I do think Shaq can play DE in this league. If he was a third round pick he would be right on track, third season is the make or break. Not his fault when he was picked, but Shaq is right that it’s time to show he can be a solid starting DE and not a rotational guy.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, John from Riverside said:

So I am just going to say this

While Shaq had dissapointed as a pass rusher I think he has been an excellent edge setter and run defender.  It is not ALL bad.

We drafted a 1st round DE who could not even play on special teams.....THAT was a bust player....Shaq Lawson is far from that.

So you’re saying Lawson is Chris Kelsay.

Yeah, we’re good.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

While Shaq had dissapointed as a pass rusher I think he has been an excellent edge setter and run defender.  It is not ALL bad.

We drafted a 1st round DE who could not even play on special teams.....THAT was a bust player....Shaq Lawson is far from that.

Shaq Lawson isn't as bad as Aaron Maybin.  

Excellent news.  Now if Josh Allen isn't as bad as Jamarcus Russell, we're killing it this year!

Edited by BringBackOrton

I'd be thrilled if he were just average. It would be a major improvement. Can he play 4-3 OLB? I think he's too big.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Since when is he an "excellent edge setter"? I have yet to hear about Shaq's run defense prowess anywhere other than these forums. No one seems to think he's very special. They even signed Trent Murphy to replace him.

11 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'd be thrilled if he were just average. It would be a major improvement. Can he play 4-3 OLB? I think he's too big.

Since when is he an "excellent edge setter"? I have yet to hear about Shaq's run defense prowess anywhere other than these forums. No one seems to think he's very special. They even signed Trent Murphy to replace him.

The tape does in fact show that he is a excellent edge setter.....do you know what it means to set the edge on a defense? (this is not meant to be snarky it is a legit question)

The run defense without him looks very different then with him.  The tape does not lie on this.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The tape does in fact show that he is a excellent edge setter.....do you know what it means to set the edge on a defense? (this is not meant to be snarky it is a legit question)

The run defense without him looks very different then with him.  The tape does not lie on this.

Oh really?  Check the following 2018 tape:

@NY Jets

New Orleans

@LA Chargers

"Excellent" implies that he's been singularly impactful.   That's not the case.   Excellent run defenders change your run defense by their presence.  His work in that all-time franchise worst stretch of defense was really bad.    Coaching staff was not too impressed and benched him to start the KC game.........and the run defense then came out on fire that day.

Shaq has fluctuated between bad and good in run defense since his arrival.   His snaps were cut dramatically in 2016 after some terrible run defense he was directly responsible for in the Pittsburgh run defense debacle.  

Unfortunately at this point in his career much of the "edge setting" credit he has gotten is directly related to his inability to get off the line.........leaving him in better position to react to the run.   Hopefully he puts it all together this year but there is certainly a false narrative around the quality of his run defense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh really?  Check the following 2018 tape:

@NY Jets

New Orleans

@LA Chargers

"Excellent" implies that he's been singularly impactful.   That's not the case.   Excellent run defenders change your run defense by their presence.  His work in that all-time franchise worst stretch of defense was really bad.    Coaching staff was not too impressed and benched him to start the KC game.........and the run defense then came out on fire that day.

Shaq has fluctuated between bad and good in run defense since his arrival.   His snaps were cut dramatically in 2016 after some terrible run defense he was directly responsible for in the Pittsburgh run defense debacle.  

Unfortunately at this point in his career much of the "edge setting" credit he has gotten is directly related to his inability to get off the line.........leaving him in better position to react to the run.   Hopefully he puts it all together this year but there is certainly a false narrative around the quality of his run defense.

So it is your believe that players even when they excel in a certain area dont have bad games?

I think we are getting a little away from the original purpose of the post.   I am saying that while Shaq definately has work to do he is far from a bust.

As of yet he has not lived up to the potential of where he was drafted, but guys like Maybin and Flowers were busts in my mind while Shaq may end up being no more then a average NFL player.

I hope this is not his ceiling but we will have to see......

51 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So it is your believe that players even when they excel in a certain area dont have bad games?

I think we are getting a little away from the original purpose of the post.   I am saying that while Shaq definately has work to do he is far from a bust.

As of yet he has not lived up to the potential of where he was drafted, but guys like Maybin and Flowers were busts in my mind while Shaq may end up being no more then a average NFL player.

I hope this is not his ceiling but we will have to see......

I think we can agree we should find out what his real worth is this upcoming season.
No more injury and no more Rex.

Let us see what ya really got kid !

Shaq Lawson Out to Prove Doubters Wrong as Buffalo Bills Training Camp Nears

Shaq Lawson has traveled a bumpy road since being selected with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Injuries have limited him to just 21 of a potential 32 games played and his role within former coach Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme probably wasn’t ideal for his skill-set. Furthermore, his weight fluctuated as he was asked to play different roles. Drafted as a traditional defensive end, Lawson dropped weight to play outside linebacker before he was asked to bulk up again to move back to end.

His body couldn’t get up to speed with the constant weight fluctuation. It’s difficult to remove all blame from Lawson, but these issues definitely played a role in the former ACC Defensive Player of the Year’s slowed development.