Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

13 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If that is true then I would give higher marks to Mr. Beane than to McCoach. 

If faith is a "key attribute" because of a personal belief system then I think you are unnecessarily limiting an already small talent pool from which to choose a player. I think religious conviction has as important a place on the gridiron as it has (or should have) in government.  If OTOH faith is a "key attribute" because it can be a source of motivation that can translate to the field well then fine. But again this can't be the whole story. A player (or person) can find all the motivation needed if he believes in himself even if he doesn't believe in God. 

Specifically regarding Rosen I suspect that his relationship and feelings relative to his community and religion are complicated and evolving (he's a young kid). I know many Jews of all stripes, orthodox and secular, including some extremely WASP Jews (if you perceive me). For every one of them being Jewish is more important than some of them can admit even to themselves. They can react to it indifferent ways, including denying it, but it is always there and perhaps more so than for most other people. It is probably a by product of culture and history. 

Anyway speaking for myself I'd love to have that Jewish atheist suit up as a Bill. 

Agnostic

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So people don't want this guy because: he's a liberal, he's rich, he's not Christian, he has opinions....

Anyone want to actually talk about football? 

Personally, I don't think that stuff will play a role in McBeane's decision, and if it does, I imagine it would be a tiny, tiny role. I do think what he's said re: Trump goes beyond the simple label of "liberal" though, and I do think that in the Jets case, it plays a significant role given Woody Johnson's relationship with Trump. I do not envision the Jets taking Rosen at all as a result.

I do, however, think that the stories of teammates/coaches not liking Rosen is something that will play a role in team's evaluations of him. Some teams will care about that more than others; I'm not sure where I think Buffalo lays in there but I'd lean towards the leadership qualities being a relatively big deal for them and I believe that could knock Rosen down a peg or two in their rankings as a result (if Buffalo finds that the stories about him are true of course, which we simpletons just aren't privy to). I think they value the skills > leadership, but if they believe that Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield are close to Rosen skill-wise, I could definitely see it being a tiebreaker that goes against him.

For a long time  Cosell  has been, by far, my favorite player evaluator. This is particularly the case with evaluating quarterbacks. What he did say about Rosen Does not write anything down in stone for me.But it makes me like Rosen even more and I would be very happy if the bills got him.

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

So people don't want this guy because: he's a liberal, he's rich, he's not Christian, he has opinions....

That's what I like about sports, you interact with every type of background and personality.  It really does bring people together.

I feel like a hug right now.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.  There's more Bills fans 5-10 miles over the Peace Bridge or in RaChaCha than in all the little towns in the southern tier.     

They'll fill the stadium if the team is winning...

Rocha-cha-cha in the burbs where the affluent ticket buyers reside is heavily Republican.  Partly due to the unions never taking hold here like they did in Buffalo.  Eastman Kodak which was the largest employer here for a number of decades never had a union shop.  The Southern Tier's contribution while not of the size of Buffalo or Rochester is still significant especially in struggling times on the field.

I think Cosell has learned a thing or two about QB prospects since proclaiming Ryan Nassib the best prospect coming out in his draft class. 

I'd like to get Rosen if for no other reason than to see our resident crusader troll's head explode. 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

people don't get it.  Rosen was the top prospect in cali as a youngster, better than Goff and Darnold and all of those guys.  went to St John Bosco prep, one of the best football programs in the country.  best QB in the nation coming out of high school.  elite 11, all of that.  he is the best QB in this draft and the best in at least the past 3 drafts

Keep it down. We need this to stay a secret so we can draft him.

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

people don't get it.  Rosen was the top prospect in cali as a youngster, better than Goff and Darnold and all of those guys.  went to St John Bosco prep, one of the best football programs in the country.  best QB in the nation coming out of high school.  elite 11, all of that.  he is the best QB in this draft and the best in at least the past 3 drafts

Concussion issues and lack of mobility are the only things I'm worried about but he's an outstanding prospect. It's insane that he's going to drop because NFL execs are intimidated by his intelligence.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

Ok. Well actually that makes more sense to me personally. I mean who really knows for sure what all is out there?

I had to go back and check that recent espn mag interview but he definitely says agnostic.

Having agnostic tendencies in a hot take world sucks btw.

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

NBA is the most popular pro sport by far amongst the WASPY suburbans around me and you can’t get any more middle America than columbus, Ohio.

You're from Columbus too? My man!

37 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't want this guy on our team with his terrible attitude. He just needs to shut his mouth.... I mean he wore an F-trump hat. 

TBF Trump is pretty awful

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Concussion issues and lack of mobility are the only things I'm worried about but he's an outstanding prospect. It's insane that he's going to drop because NFL execs are intimidated by his intelligence.

Not sure I agree with this lack of mobility stuff I see all the time. He's pretty much a a traditional pocket passer of course but within that class of QB he is mobile enuf to execute outside the pocket occasionally and/or when required. In the land of world class athletes he maybe doesn't stand out, but the guy is a good athlete. If he couldn't move/react with decent short area quickness and composure he would not have been a promising tennis player. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm Christian and Republican and I absolutely still want Rosen!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jr1 said:

Mayfield's completion percentage was 8 points higher than Rosen's this season

I think it's been pointed out in several contexts, completion percentage is just a starting place.

You want to look very hard at a guy who is <60%, because he might not have great accuracy.

OTOH, you also want to look hard at high completion % because it could be a result of high dump-offs

I intend the above as general comments.

In this case, there's no "watch out" with Mayfield.  He is accurate all over the field, and superb in that QB-bread-and-butter 10-19 yd range.

But I wouldn't want to make a deal of his completion percentage being higher than Rosen's either.  Rosen's WR lead the field in drops with 31 or 34 or something like that, and Rosen too is accurate all over the field.

25 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

For a long time  Cosell  has been, by far, my favorite player evaluator. This is particularly the case with evaluating quarterbacks. What he did say about Rosen Does not write anything down in stone for me.But it makes me like Rosen even more and I would be very happy if the bills got him.

Cosell is really good, I agree. That’s why I posted it. 

16 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I don't think it's that.  There are some who are afraid he won't be willing to accept boundries on his willingness to criticize/express political views, so he'll hurt the brand and become a distraction a la kneeling Kaepernick.  I think it's a legit question, but I also think an NFL FO worthy of its salt should be able to get into Rosen's head enough during interviews to tell if it's a real concern. 

I also think that some NFL coaches are authoritarian little autocrats, who do not want to be questioned and who would take it very poorly if they were.  And Rosen would almost surely be a very poor fit for such coaches, because he's going to want to know "why?" and expect you to be able to tell him.  I don't think that applies to any of our current crop of coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

Do any of the same people worried about Rosen's "political" views have the same concerns about Shady? He straight up called our president an A-hole on twitter, for all the world to see and I don't recall the same concerns being expressed about McCoy afterward. 

• Like (+1) 1