Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure- I’d hope for that pragmatism. The only thing I do religiously on Sunday is watch the Bills... Saturday too for that matter. 

Ive just noticed for some of these super religious guys its a centerpiece of their evaluation “process”.  And whatever QB the go for anywhere in the first round is almost certain to be married in fate to the gm and the coach. 

Yes, I believe McDermott is one of them. But he also seems to be extremely detail oriented, and if he believes Rosen is of the type of talent and Football character that he believes can effectively lead a team, I think he will not over-weight that. We will see.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

NBA is the most popular pro sport by far amongst the WASPY suburbans around me and you can’t get any more middle America than columbus, Ohio.

Talk about small sample sizes.  Get back to me when you are talking outside of your neighborhood.  Outside of this board where I know hundreds of people I don't know one person who talks NBA.

26 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Rosen's concussions issue make him not so close to perfect. Defensive edge rushers in the NFL are getting faster and fiercer. Rosen's going to get hit very hard, very many times. He may drop all the way to a team like the Cardinals simply because no one wants to deal with the concussion thing.

This is something that seems to be being brushed off by the fans here who want him. It's a real concern due to the increased possibility he won't be playing full seasons or he'll have random games where he won't be able to play. As a GM, I wouldn't want to hold my breath overtime my QB drops back too pass.

This is my concern with Rosen and why he is actually fourth among the top four for me.  Darnold is the fella I like the best, but I have presumed he was out of reach.  Regardless, I would still be happy to get Rosen or any of the potential franchise qbs.  I just don't want to get frozen out and settling for Rudolph, White, or Lauletta.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Do they care inside of closed doors of course not.  But Terry certainly cares when he has to go outside the Buffalo city limits to be assured of a sellout for the Cap.  Also, I would imagine that those towns are very good for selling Bills-marked NFL merchandise which has little market value 120 miles or more away from Orchard Park.

In all due respect, there are quite a few Buffalo Bills fans in the Central New York area: Utica-Rome-Herkimer area and those are 200 miles away (approximately with Utica being 204)....so, while this area tends to have a number of Jets / Giants fans, Buffalo is well represented overall. I know you didn't mean it as a sleight, I'm just pointing out that merchandise is big in this area as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

If the Bills draft Rosen my wife and kids as well as my self will buy his Jersey and be his biggest supporters.

I really dont want to come away without him.

you can buy an EJ Manuel jersey for cheap and have a new nameplate sewn on!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Hopefully McD stays away from the offense altogether and it's Daboll & Culley talking to our new QB.

Daboll is going to relate to Rosen (or any rookie qb) just fine.  He’s used to dealing with Gronk btw

i remember seeing Culley on the bench in LA with his arm around Peterman, working with the tablet, after he was benched. It stuck with me. He seemed so engaged with him. 

I watched DeShone Kizer sit by himself on the bench in Cleveland after throwing a pick and getting benched. They had no OC or vet QB. Hue was on the sideline calling the game. Kizer looked lost like he had no idea what he did wrong. That is how you ruin a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Rosen used the A word to describe his own Faith.  That is anti McDermott, who cites faith as a thing he likes about players when describing key attributes. I don’t see him hoping on the Rosen train even if that’s where Beane wants to go. 

If that is true then I would give higher marks to Mr. Beane than to McCoach. 

If faith is a "key attribute" because of a personal belief system then I think you are unnecessarily limiting an already small talent pool from which to choose a player. I think religious conviction has as important a place on the gridiron as it has (or should have) in government.  If OTOH faith is a "key attribute" because it can be a source of motivation that can translate to the field well then fine. But again this can't be the whole story. A player (or person) can find all the motivation needed if he believes in himself even if he doesn't believe in God. 

Specifically regarding Rosen I suspect that his relationship and feelings relative to his community and religion are complicated and evolving (he's a young kid). I know many Jews of all stripes, orthodox and secular, including some extremely WASP Jews (if you perceive me). For every one of them being Jewish is more important than some of them can admit even to themselves. They can react to it indifferent ways, including denying it, but it is always there and perhaps more so than for most other people. It is probably a by product of culture and history. 

Anyway speaking for myself I'd love to have that Jewish atheist suit up as a Bill. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Talk about small sample sizes.  Get back to me when you are talking outside of your neighborhood.  Outside of this board where I know hundreds of people I don't know one person who talks NBA.

Cool! Now get out of your own little bubble and expand your sample size.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure- I’d hope for that pragmatism. The only thing I do religiously on Sunday is watch the Bills... Saturday too for that matter. 

Ive just noticed for some of these super religious guys its a centerpiece of their evaluation “process”.  And whatever QB they go for anywhere in the first round is almost certain to be married in fate to the gm and the coach. I think they will demand unanimity on this topic- as I would if in Terry’s shoes.   

I see McDermott as very religious but also someone that's open as well.  He's a football guy, been in locker rooms as a player and coach and has interacted with many different personalities....I think he's okay with someone not having the same faith as long as they are respectable.  Just a pure guess, I've never met McDermott but I would challenge him to a wrestling match.

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

So is your point that if the Bills draft Rosen they won't sell out the stadium? If so I strongly disagree1

Initially there will be no problem but there is a high degree of risk that Rosen will say something at some point to polarize people.  It could be something near and dear to the boss' heart such as fracking.  New York to this point has not allowed fracking but that does not mean that it will never be open for debate here and it would affect a fair amount of Bills fans who are land owners that would benefit from fracking.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

If that is true then I would give higher marks to Mr. Beane than to McCoach. 

If faith is a "key attribute" because of a personal belief system then I think you are unnecessarily limiting an already small talent pool from which to choose a player. I think religious conviction has as important a place on the gridiron as it has (or should have) in government.  If OTOH faith is a "key attribute" because it can be a source of motivation that can translate to the field well then fine. But again this can't be the whole story. A player (or person) can find all the motivation needed if he believes in himself even if he doesn't believe in God. 

Specifically regarding Rosen I suspect that his relationship and feelings relative to his community and religion are complicated and evolving (he's a young kid). I know many Jews of all stripes, orthodox and secular, including some extremely WASP Jews (if you perceive me). For every one of them being Jewish is more important than some of them can admit even to themselves. They can react to it indifferent ways, including denying it, but it is always there and perhaps more so than for most other people. It is probably a by product of culture and history. 

Anyway speaking for myself I'd love to have that Jewish atheist suit up as a Bill. 

I think all the crap about McDermott using his faith choice to pick his football team is an absolute crock of you know what!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Rosen's concussions issue make him not so close to perfect. Defensive edge rushers in the NFL are getting faster and fiercer. Rosen's going to get hit very hard, very many times. He may drop all the way to a team like the Cardinals simply because no one wants to deal with the concussion thing.

This is something that seems to be being brushed off by the fans here who want him. It's a real concern due to the increased possibility he won't be playing full seasons or he'll have random games where he won't be able to play. As a GM, I wouldn't want to hold my breath overtime my QB drops back too pass.

I brush it off because most of these guys have had concussions. Mayfield had two as well. It's weird that no one ever mentions that. For any player, you are a play away from being done....Ryan Shazier for instance. It's a part of the game and he has no ill effects from those concussions. Like any injury, they heal...its the ones that happen back to back or that don't heal that are the problem. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

So is your point that if the Bills draft Rosen they won't sell out the stadium? If so I strongly disagree1

Yep.  There's more Bills fans 5-10 miles over the Peace Bridge or in RaChaCha than in all the little towns in the southern tier.     

They'll fill the stadium if the team is winning...

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I brush it off because most of these guys have had concussions. Mayfield had two as well. It's weird that no one ever mentions that. For any player, you are a play away from being done....Ryan Shazier for instance. It's a part of the game and he has no ill effects from those concussions. Like any injury, they heal...its the ones that happen back to back or that don't heal that are the problem. 

We've all had concussions

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

In all due respect, there are quite a few Buffalo Bills fans in the Central New York area: Utica-Rome-Herkimer area and those are 200 miles away (approximately with Utica being 204)....so, while this area tends to have a number of Jets / Giants fans, Buffalo is well represented overall. I know you didn't mean it as a sleight, I'm just pointing out that merchandise is big in this area as well. 

You are correct and my statement was not an intentional slight.  On the old BBMB I was always an advocate of marketing that far east as well as going into PA's Northern Tier in terms of the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1