Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As Yolo said, he's his ambassador to the U.K., and they are also very good friends. Someone else said they are neighbors too (not sure if just a vacation property or what). 

They are pretty much neighbors in a rich town in New Jersey, Beminster Township. It's where Johnson has a home and where Trump spends most of his time. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s quite possible they are divided, but the decision could be made for them based on who they can get 

Rosen is this top talent according to some here and in these same minds other teams will choose to bypass this said talent?  Quite the mental gymnastics at work on this board.  The Jets will not choose Rosen because of political differences with Woody Johnson?  Doubtful.  The world is full of people that have to work for or work with people of different political stripes.  That includes bosses and subordinates.  If Rosen has issues with Johnson then he will most likely have issues with WNY'ers outside of the the Buffalo and Rochester city limits.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Mayfield and he’s one of the guys I’d be excited to get. He’s very accurate. Not to take anything away from him but Lincoln Riley set up his offensive scheme perfectly for Mayfield. We don’t know what he will be set up for in the NFL. A lot of Qb success is situational based on coaching, scheme, surrounding team. Mayfield isn’t a universal slam dunk for teams because he’s more scheme specific than Rosen or Darnold. It’s because of his size and speed - neither are good. If he gets drafted by say the Saints or Jets, watch out.

I was at a bar with friends watching the UGA/OK game.  I paid close attention to Mayfield in the first half but socialized more in the 2nd half (a lot of drinking) so I didn't pay much attention.  What did UGA do differently in the 2nd half to slow Mayfield down?

I think the Bills have Sam and Rosen at the top of the board. They likely have a preference but would be overjoyed to land either one. To make their dream come true they need to secure the 2 spot. I think Beane will go all out to get there. Don't know if he makes it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Rosen is this top talent according to some here and in these same minds other teams will choose to bypass this said talent?  Quite the mental gymnastics at work on this board.  The Jets will not choose Rosen because of political differences with Woody Johnson?  Doubtful.  The world is full of people that have to work for or work with people of different political stripes.  That includes bosses and subordinates.  If Rosen has issues with Johnson then he will most likely have issues with WNY'ers outside of the the Buffalo and Rochester city limits.

I don’t know if the Jets (or Browns or Giants or... ) will pass on him. It has been a rumor that he could slide. His outspoken ways in terms of politics and the like *could* worry some organizations given their interests outside of the football team itself. Most owners have various businesses and financial investments outside of the team. Not saying it’s right but looking at the unemployment of Colin Kapernick and Eric Reid, it’s something teams take seriously.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

I think the Bills have Sam and Rosen at the top of the board. They likely have a preference but would be overjoyed to land either one. To make their dream come true they need to secure the 2 spot. I think Beane will go all out to get there. Don't know if he makes it.

I'm thinking this too.

If I had to guess, they have Darnold #1 and trying to get him.  If they can't get to #1 or #2 if he's there....I think Rosen at around 5-7 would be their next best thing.  They would be happy with either or.

Darnold will be the choice and has all the intangibles that Beane and McDemott want. Makes sense that we took the time go to California to see Darnold. Now we have to get to #1 or #2 so there may be some truth to the rumor about trading with the Giants and the Browns

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was at a bar with friends watching the UGA/OK game.  I paid close attention to Mayfield in the first half but socialized more in the 2nd half (a lot of drinking) so I didn't pay much attention.  What did UGA do differently in the 2nd half to slow Mayfield down?

If memory serves they did more to limit his mobility and confine him to the pocket. In projecting him to the next level that's the red flag. I don't know that he survives if asked to execute from an NFL pocket, take snaps under centre etc...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It sounds too simple but UGA defense just played better. They didn’t make mental errors.  They didn’t change the scheme itself but the covered 1:1 better and Mayfield couldn’t target his #1 WR like he did in the 1st half. He didn’t have anywhere to throw. They also did a great job keeping him from scrambling out of the pocket. 

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The pick really needs to be him. It's the perfect fit. 

Rosen's concussions issue make him not so close to perfect. Defensive edge rushers in the NFL are getting faster and fiercer. Rosen's going to get hit very hard, very many times. He may drop all the way to a team like the Cardinals simply because no one wants to deal with the concussion thing.

This is something that seems to be being brushed off by the fans here who want him. It's a real concern due to the increased possibility he won't be playing full seasons or he'll have random games where he won't be able to play. As a GM, I wouldn't want to hold my breath overtime my QB drops back too pass.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if the Jets (or Browns or Giants or... ) will pass on him. It has been a rumor that he could slide. His outspoken ways in terms of politics and the like *could* worry some organizations given their interests outside of the football team itself. Most owners have various businesses and financial investments outside of the team. Not saying it’s right but looking at the unemployment of Colin Kapernick and Eric Reid, it’s something teams take seriously.

And if this is true then Pegula will also consider Rosen's baggage in terms of selling tickets outside of the heavily Democratic Buffalo city limits.  He will have to consider how Rosen's politics will play in Springville, Franklinville, and Wellsville to name a few podunk locales.  And on a personal level I would imagine Rosen would not consider Terry's primary business which is fracking as being politically correct.

Edited by RochesterRob

Just now, RochesterRob said:

And if this true then Pegula will also consider Rosen's baggage in terms of selling tickets outside of the heavily Democratic Buffalo city limits.  He will have to consider how Rosen's politics will play in Springville, Franklinville, and Wellsville to name a few podunk locales.  And on a personal level I would imagine Rosen would not consider Terry's primary business which is fracking being politically correct.

Maybe? We will find out how important these things are to the Pegulas. As for Rosen, he will need to adapt to any situation he finds himself in just like other players who play for owners they don’t always agree with (see the Texans owner Bob McNair). I’m sure his franchise QB who is black doesn’t agree with his comments over the past year.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It sounds too simple but UGA defense just played better. They didn’t make mental errors.  They didn’t change the scheme itself but the covered 1:1 better and Mayfield couldn’t target his #1 WR like he did in the 1st half. He didn’t have anywhere to throw. They also did a great job keeping him from scrambling out of the pocket. 

You think Mayfield would have a difficult time in the NFL making consistent throws in the pocket?

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Rosen used the A word to describe his own Faith.  That is anti McDermott, who cites faith as a thing he likes about players when describing key attributes. I don’t see him hoping on the Rosen train even if that’s where Beane wants to go. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Rosen used the A word to describe his own Faith.  That is anti McDermott, who cites faith as a thing he likes about players when describing key attributes. I don’t see him hoping on the Rosen train even if that’s where Beane wants to go. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a “divide,” but i think it will be 1 vs 2, but “this guy is off my board because he’s not of similar faith” 

Rosen has expressed many times how he respects everyone else’s views and diversity is the best thing about the locker room in Football. He likes to learn about others beliefs. He went to catholic HS, he will be used to “faith-based” speeches 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

people don't get it.  Rosen was the top prospect in cali as a youngster, better than Goff and Darnold and all of those guys.  went to St John Bosco prep, one of the best football programs in the country.  best QB in the nation coming out of high school.  elite 11, all of that.  he is the best QB in this draft and the best in at least the past 3 drafts

Yep.

My only concern is his durability/injury history.

Bradford 2.0 is a legit concern.

Other than that?

Nope.

He a stud.