Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-cosells-draft-analysis-josh-rosen-refined-perhaps-best-qb-class-151629623.html

He still has enough mobility to make needed second-reaction plays, but he’s a high-level prospect because of his work from the pocket.

Rosen has very good mechanics that he repeated consistently: good ball position, firm base, excellent balance, compact delivery, good velocity. There was a calmness and poise to his pocket play. For NFL teams that value pocket play, Rosen will be a desirable prospect in this draft. He doesn’t have many weaknesses, as we’ll see as we break down his game.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

"For NFL teams that value pocket play, Rosen will be a desirable prospect in this draft. "

Joe B: Now, quarterback is obviously a huge to-do here. What do you look for most -- what qualities do you look for most in quarterbacks in the NFL?

Brandon Beane: Well, you know, I've been around all shapes and sizes... from Steve Beuerlein, to Steve Bono, to Jake Delhomme, to Cam Newton. The one thing that you have to have: you have to have the intangibles. You have to have the leadership qualities. You've got to get guys to follow you. It is a quarterback league, and if you don't have the leadership in the other guys, that's 11 guys on the field -- if they're not following you, it just doesn't work. I've seen quarterbacks that have arm talent. We've known the names in this league -- I'm not going to call them out -- that have all the talent in the world and they've been first-round picks.... but they aren't leaders. You've got to start there. You want to be able to have a passer that can throw from the pocket. It's good to be mobile... we love that. And obviously, Tyrod brings that, and I think Peterman has some things like that. You know, all these guys have some different qualities... there's not one thing, but, at the end of the day, quarterbacks in the NFL must be able to throw from the pocket.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-does-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-want-at-qb-you-have-to-be-able-to-throw-from-the-pocket

people don't get it.  Rosen was the top prospect in cali as a youngster, better than Goff and Darnold and all of those guys.  went to St John Bosco prep, one of the best football programs in the country.  best QB in the nation coming out of high school.  elite 11, all of that.  he is the best QB in this draft and the best in at least the past 3 drafts

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane said, “In this game, you have plays where it’s third-and-9 and you can’t run for it, and you got to be able to make plays from the pocket.” He went on to mention that a quarterback can’t be “a statue,” nor can he merely be a “run-around guy.” Overall, it seems as if Beane would like a quarterback who can use his legs when necessary, but who is ultimately able to consistently make plays from the pocket.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2018/3/2/17067620/nfl-offseason-2018-brandon-beane-and-sean-mcdermott-on-the-buffalo-bills-quarterback-situation

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

people don't get it.  Rosen was the top prospect in cali as a youngster, better than Goff and Darnold and all of those guys.  went to St John Bosco prep, one of the best football programs in the country.  best QB in the nation coming out of high school.  elite 11, all of that.  he is the best QB in this draft and the best in at least the past 3 drafts

I pray he doesn't go to the Jets.

I do wonder who the Bills would choose between Darnold and Rosen though.  Rosen just looks NFL ready right now.

Edited by PIZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

I pray he doesn't go to the Jets.

I do wonder who the Bills would choose between Darnold and Rosen though.  Rosen just looks NFL ready right now.

It’s quite possible they are divided, but the decision could be made for them based on who they can get 

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen played against better players in HS than Allen did in college [ducks]

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else but isn't Woody Johnson connected to Trump in some sort of way?

Yes he’s Trump’s ambassador to the UK

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seems like the only real flaw people can find with Rosen are the things he's said, and the concussions. 

But even the people who knock Rosen for the things he's said will start by saying "he's the best passer in this draft" or something along those lines. 

He's a young kid. When I think another some of the stuff I used to say and do bad when I was his age... yeah. 

He's a smart kid. He will grow and mature. It would be so dumb (IMO) to pass on such a talented QB over some things he's said to the media. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I'd be curious to know if any of that stuff correlates to NFL success

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else but isn't Woody Johnson connected to Trump in some sort of way?

As Yolo said, he's his ambassador to the U.K., and they are also very good friends. Someone else said they are neighbors too (not sure if just a vacation property or what). 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Seems like the only real flaw people can find with Rosen are the things he's said, and the concussions. 

But even the people who knock Rosen for the things he's said will start by saying "he's the best passer in this draft" or something along those lines. 

He's a young kid. When I think another some of the stuff I used to say and do bad when I was his age... yeah. 

He's a smart kid. He will grow and mature. It would be so dumb (IMO) to pass on such a talented QB over some things he's said to the media. 

Mayfield had two concussions 2 years ago, and Allen has shoulder injury issues too. I too think it’s overblown on the “durability” stuff, jmo

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I'd be curious to know if any of that stuff correlates to NFL success

It would be interesting - i think it correlates to his polish. Also, his tennis background gives him underrated agility in the pocket (Brees had same)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, jr1 said:

Mayfield's completion percentage was 8 points higher than Rosen's this season

I like Mayfield and he’s one of the guys I’d be excited to get. He’s very accurate. Not to take anything away from him but Lincoln Riley set up his offensive scheme perfectly for Mayfield. We don’t know what he will be set up for in the NFL. A lot of Qb success is situational based on coaching, scheme, surrounding team. Mayfield isn’t a universal slam dunk for teams because he’s more scheme specific than Rosen or Darnold. It’s because of his size and speed - neither are good. If he gets drafted by say the Saints or Jets, watch out.