Would this regime survive a trade up miss at QB?

May depend on how much draft capital they need to trade if they move up for a QB that ultimately is a bust.  The current regime also would look bad if they trade up for a bust and some of the other QBs they could have drafted become stars.  As noted above, way too many variables.  What will help is the available cap space next year.  That can certainly mitigate the impact of making a poor QB selection in this draft.  I give the front office credit for cleaning up our cap situation.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

Another JP Losman situation!! Build your team!! Just think David Carr, Tim Couch, etc. Those teams went for the "franchise" QB instead of filling in the holes and ended up shell shocking the QBs. Do not mortgage the farm.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McBeane will survive either way based on the way they have conducted business and the relationship they seem to have with the Pegulas.  I don't see the Pegulas as the type of owners to flit from coach to coach, GM to GM.  I think they would like to have some stability in the organization.  I think the Pegulas understand that selecting a QB is always a crap shoot and all you can do is gather as much information about the prospects as you can to try and make an informed decision.  It's then incumbent upon the entire organization to do what ever they can to give that prospect their best chance at success. 

They need to be smart and active in free agency next year when they have the money to spend to improve the supporting cast for whom ever they select this year.  Like most, I expect most of this year's draft capital and possibly even next year's to be expended grabbing the guy they like.  Hopefully they can continue to find talent in the later rounds of the draft again.  It seems so far that McBeane has a good eye for football talent.

32 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

No and we will be trading up next week.  Watch the news

Actually it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we stand pat and take Mason Rudolph at 22. He fits the GM/HC personality profile (squeaky clean off field), he fits the NFL QB "measurable" profile (height & weight), he fits the "DNA" profile (4 year starter with consistent success), and above all he fits the McDermott "I'm building a team, not collecting talent profile.

Don't get me wrong .... I'd prefer Mayfield or Rosen ... just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Rudolph was their man.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, macaroni said:

Actually it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we stand pat and take Mason Rudolph at 22. He fits the GM/HC personality profile (squeaky clean off field), he fits the NFL QB "measurable" profile (height & weight), he fits the "DNA" profile (4 year starter with consistent success), and above all he fits the McDermott "I'm building a team, not collecting talent profile.

Don't get me wrong .... I'd prefer Mayfield or Rosen ... just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Rudolph was their man.

If they pick him in the 1st round they need new scouts. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Id be ok with Rudolph at 22 and keeping all the other picks. Rudolph and AJ have as good a chance as any to succeed. Still want Allen most of all but would be perfectly fine with a starting WR, MLB, and DE and Rudolph

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

We got into the playoffs, even with Tyrod. I think it depends on how bad the QB is, and how good everything else is. The entire picture will be judged, but certainly the QB position will be a big piece of the puzzle. 

How many games did we win by a blowout and how many games did we lose by a blowout.  A Starting QB for the team for three seasons should be able to do both...win blowouts and lose by small margins.   We lost a way too many games were we were slaughtered.  And the 3 points in the playoffs was the final straw.

4 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Id be ok with Rudolph at 22 and keeping all the other picks. Rudolph and AJ have as good a chance as any to succeed. Still want Allen most of all but would be perfectly fine with a starting WR, MLB, and DE and Rudolph

Allen's 56.2 career completion percentage just scares the bejeusus out of me. I get it that he has a canon of an arm ... but it's kind of like falling in love with the fastest WR ... only problem is he can't catch the ball ... or that work out wonder that just can't transfer that strength to the football field ... or that physical specimen of a running back whos balance is so poor that he falls down every time someone touches his ankle.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This regime won’t survive not taking a shot.  Period.

I'm not one to call people out, but this take is just flat out wrong to me. Reminds me of the this regime can't possibly make the playoffs crowd.

There are any number of ways this draft will go. Whoever we end up with at QB (and that includes AJ and/or Foles) could be boom or bust. And while I don't expect it will happen suggesting that sitting at 12 and hitting the jackpot is an impossibility is just plain ignorant.

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

You know you make a sound point,  it would be better to not draft one so we make the playoffs each of the next three years without drafting a QB.  

32 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Not a chance this regime gets fired for 1 QB miss.  They already made it to the playoffs without a top 10 QB while shipping most of our top picks from recent years.  If they can continue to put competitive teams on the field with limited talent they'll be given the time they need to recover from any lost draft capital.

Hopefully they would own up to the busted pick and move on quickly (unlike most regimes),  That and the above would increase their chances of staying put and drafting/finding a true franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Shown very little? We went to the playoffs a year when we were supposedly "tanking," so yeah might be a bit overblown here. If the team's doing poorly in three years for whatever reason, though, yes, they will probably be on the hot seat b/c that's how it usually works. 

22 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not one to call people out, but this take is just flat out wrong to me. Reminds me of the this regime can't possibly make the playoffs crowd.

There are any number of ways this draft will go. Whoever we end up with at QB (and that includes AJ and/or Foles) could be boom or bust. And while I don't expect it will happen suggesting that sitting at 12 and hitting the jackpot is an impossibility is just plain ignorant.

Thanks for pointing this out.  The current regime succeeds or fails based on winning or losing, not on whether they decide to trade up to take a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

So far I really, really like what McD and Beane have done with the team all the way up until Wood, Incognito are both no longer with the team. 

This draft is going to be so very telling as to what their future holds for them. This franchise has not had an actual franchise QB since Jim Kelly and they haven't had an above-average offensive line since that time too.

What to do, what to do? It took a godawful HC in Rex Ryan to finally get a decent starting QB and left offensive guard for the team and now both are gone. Along with the above average center and left tackle. These men are in a very peculiar predicament as to what to do first in drafting a better offensive line or franchise QB.

"IF" the new to Buffalo scouts know what they are doing and Beane, McD know what they want in terms of a scheme for this new QB to run. They don't necessarily need to draft a top-five QB this year. Good to great QB's can be found in later picks you just have to know how to evaluate them. 

Baker Mayfield may just drop out of the top five and allow Buffalo to move up to draft him without giving up the entire farm. Then considering how bad the offensive line looks right now they may want to rethink that run-first scheme and draft Lamar Jackson later on.

NEEDS, QB, WR, OT, OC, OG, LB, DT.  With all those needs does it make sense to give up all the first, second and third round picks to move up into the top five and to go to #2 it will take the 2018 first round pick too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This regime won’t survive not taking a shot.  Period.

Correct. They’ve traded too many assets not to take a shot.

If they get Darnold or Rosen and they flop, the regime will be fine. 

If they trade up for Allen, or stay put for Rudolph/Jackson, and those flop, they’ll probably not be around very long. 

50 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thanks for pointing this out.  The current regime succeeds or fails based on winning or losing, not on whether they decide to trade up to take a QB.

Absolutely. The problem is that without a QB there will be quite a bit of losing. This results in the aforementioned demise of the regime. This team achieved a miracle 9-7 campaign with Tyrod at QB. McCarron may very well be a downgrade. That means if we don’t get a QB, losing football will return to Buffalo.