Would this regime survive a trade up miss at QB?

I think they will because ownership is going to be all over the pick as well. Terry will have a say in this whole situation and will likely endorse the choice. That said, I really think they need to come away with Darnold or Rosen.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

This isn't a regime that needs excuse making. Watch them work.

Its not excuse making....it is reality

- We currently are not in the position we need to be in to get one of the top 3 qbs

- We dont know what other teams are doing or plan to do.....the jets move for instance was completely out of nowhere

- The teams that sit at those picks might have someone they like and not be willing to move

I TOTALLY am for using draft capital that has been aquired to move up......Rosen is the guy I want.  BUT....what if it takes more then that....what if the asking price is crippling to this organization not just now but in the future?  What if they ask for 3 number 1's?  That is if they are even willing to move.

It makes NO SENSE to give away picks to that magnitude when you can sit right at 12 and take Lamar Jackson who at the end of it all could end up being the best of all of them.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Would this regime survive a trade up miss at QB?

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

They will survive if AJ develops, wins games, and Bills continue to improve + make playoffs at least every other year.

5 hours ago, KzooMike said:

A miss would mostly likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as the QB is given every opportunity. It seems crazy to think a GM/HC who have shown very positive things early could just as easily be on the hot seat two or three years from now with a miss. Overblowing it or do you agree?

I hope they would (survive that is) if they are otherwise making positive team building decisions.

The cold hard football facts are that somewhere between 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 3 QB drafted in the top 5 don't make it, by a pretty generous definition of "make it".

If we want people to have the courage to take a shot, we have to support them if they miss.

And frankly, a hit may most likely leave us out of the playoffs for a few years as great QB who take a few years to "get it" (Brees, Manning etc) are at least as common as great QB who play well out of the gate.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

How many games did we win by a blowout and how many games did we lose by a blowout.  A Starting QB for the team for three seasons should be able to do both...win blowouts and lose by small margins.   We lost a way too many games were we were slaughtered.  And the 3 points in the playoffs was the final straw.

So the QB should have out gunned NO?

The SD game was Peterman....

The Jets game on Thursday night he got no help.

I'm not saying Tyrod is great... but the team lost most of the games. If we don't hit on this pick and trade next years first, we'll regret it. It'll get them fired. They just gotta hit on the QB spot, which is incredibly difficult. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope they would (survive that is) if they are otherwise making positive team building decisions.

The cold hard football facts are that somewhere between 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 3 QB drafted in the top 5 don't make it, by a pretty generous definition of "make it".

If we want people to have the courage to take a shot, we have to support them if they miss.

I agree with this completely. I'm fine with a trade up... especially given the other moves they have made. I've disagreed with them at times, but they've been right and I've been wrong. I like that they have the conviction to stick to something they see. In my opinion, they aren't drafting a QB just because it's time, like Manuel. They built for this, I want them to follow through. If they continue other good personnel decisions, I'd give them a second go round if this doesn't work out. 

I think the Beane administration can withstand missing on a QB if they stand pat and miss on a QB or even if they don't a first round QB at all, especially if all of the top four QBs turn out to be busts or in the Cutler/Tannehill/Bortles level (which is much more likely than all four being at that level or better).    I think trading up for a QB and missing will be a fatal move because they will not only not have a franchise QB but will have lost out on a lot of potential talent.

10 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The same could be said if they stand pat and miss out on good QB’s or don’t take one at all. 

Life of a GM/HC in the NFL.....you better get it right under center.

Always has been always will be.

Now, get it right. There are no excuses.

Very well said, mate.

1 hour ago, Jasovon said:

depends on how bad we miss to be honest. If we get a guy like Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco they should be fine. Doesn't have to be a hall of famer, please remember that guys.

I disagree if the Bills trade up into the top five and only get a Dalton/Flacco type QB.  If they stay where they are and get a Dalton/Flacco type QB at #12 or #22, then that's okay.

A QB taken in the top 5 who can do no better, over his career, than an Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco would be a big disappointment. To get to the top five, the Bills would have to give up a lot of potential talent.   IMO, neither Dalton or Flacco would have had much success at all if they had not come into situations where there was lots of talent surrounding them.   The Bills don't have the talent at present to support much QB success, so they would need to use some of the draft capital they've collected to improve the team to support any QB they draft.

Just now, SoTier said:

I disagree if the Bills trade up into the top five and only get a Dalton/Flacco type QB.  If they stay where they are and get a Dalton/Flacco type QB at #12 or #22, then that's okay.

A QB taken in the top 5 who can do no better, over his career, than an Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco would be a big disappointment. To get to the top five, the Bills would have to give up a lot of potential talent.   IMO, neither Dalton or Flacco would have had much success at all if they had not come into situations where there was lots of talent surrounding them.   The Bills don't have the talent at present to support much QB success, so they would need to use some of the draft capital they've collected to improve the team to support any QB they draft.

I agree it would be disappointing, but i don't think it would get the regime fired if they ended up with a top 15 QB from this draft.

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This regime won’t survive not taking a shot.  Period.

Will they survive a shot and miss?

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think the Beane administration can withstand missing on a QB if they stand pat and miss on a QB or even if they don't a first round QB at all, especially if all of the top four QBs turn out to be busts or in the Cutler/Tannehill/Bortles level (which is much more likely than all four being at that level or better).    I think trading up for a QB and missing will be a fatal move because they will not only not have a franchise QB but will have lost out on a lot of potential talent.

No, a coach that doesn't show real improvement in 3-4 years is out the door..... You wouldn't know for certain that the QB's you missed on were a bust in that time.  Top drafted QB's go to weak teams and there are plenty of excuses....... Yes, a trade up and miss would be fatal for the coach and team.  That is why I don't want to trade up higher than 5-6.

10 hours ago, Derby Dan said:

You are not thinking big pictures. We have a big holes at qb, u cannot win without one in the nfl, we have to get one

.... Could we "get along" with somebody who is only 3/4 of superman, or do we have to have the full Superman?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they will because ownership is going to be all over the pick as well. Terry will have a say in this whole situation and will likely endorse the choice. That said, I really think they need to come away with Darnold or Rosen.

What management wants to see is": #1 having a competitive team on the field that makes the playoffs.  Money keeps coming in. The team stays in Buffalo. ...............#2 a shoot for the moon SB.  ....................#485   Trade away some dubious assets for draft picks, trade away future draft picks,  move up because you are drafting Mr. Superman,  he busts, the team is filled with retreads and street FA's, fans stay away from a terrible product, the team is sold and moves to San Diego.

10 hours ago, jr1 said:

if would be bad optics to have a 4th head coach during Terry's ownership 

This early on it sure would be.  This is why I think the FO has the leeway to do what they think is best for this spring.  They get three more years from today going forward.  The guys here who get off on making "fire the head coach" noise and then watch it happen might die of cardiac arrest waiting for the current regime to expire.

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Correct. They’ve traded too many assets not to take a shot.

If they get Darnold or Rosen and they flop, the regime will be fine. 

If they trade up for Allen, or stay put for Rudolph/Jackson, and those flop, they’ll probably not be around very long. 

I think you guys are wrong. If they build a top 10 defense and flop at QB, then they survive. If they flop at QB and waste their assets, then they're toast. The Bills have 6 picks in the top 100 choices in the draft. This is the opportunity to build a team. Yes Brady, Brees, Roesthlisburger, and even Foles won SB but look at see where their defenses were ranked. Defenses win championships!!

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Hard to say. If they trade up to take what ends up being the wrong guy then the team is abysmal for the next 2 or 3 years I say yes. Ending the playoff drought does give them a longer leash imo though. The defense should be solid if nothing else for the next 2 or 3 years though so I think the team remains competitive. Getting the right QB puts us from competitive to contention. That's what the Pegs want and eventually it would force their hand if we aren't headed that direction.