One of the QBs will still be there at Pick #6

Like they said in Rounders (I think), "You don't play the cards, you play the opponent". 

The Browns and Jets go QB of course.   The Giants, Broncos, and anyone else (besides the Bills) thinking about making a trade into the top 5, don't have the deep scars of not having a franchise QB.   They won't be able to resist the thought of having a blue-chip player fill whatever hole they have on their roster, rather than an uncertain QB needing development.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Ward,.....

Even though it seems like the obviously right move to make, I don't think the 4 QBs all go off in the first 5 picks, because of that temptation.  

i don't see denver passing up on josh allen. that being said, let's say the browns surprise and take baker or rosen....

basically anyone but darnold, so it could go rosen, darnold and mayfield or mayfield rosen, baker, who knows, but if this leaves allen at 5 denver will take him having keenum. he would be perfect for denver.

this would leave us scrambling for rudolph or we just settle for the second round. jackson will not be a bill.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

Like they said in Rounders (I think), "You don't play the cards, you play the opponent". 

The Browns and Jets go QB of course.   The Giants, Broncos, and anyone else (besides the Bills) thinking about making a trade into the top 5, don't have the deep scars of not having a franchise QB.   They won't be able to resist the thought of having a blue-chip player fill whatever hole they have on their roster, rather than an uncertain QB needing development.  Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Ward,.....

Even though it seems like the obviously right move to make, I don't think the 4 QBs all go off in the first 5 picks, because of that temptation.  

Of course that said you have to remember there are other teams in the NFL that may try and be aggressive. While we sit back and circle the 6 spot, maybe Arizona moves to 5. Maybe a team we aren't currently considering makes a move for a QB. Maybe in his final draft Ozzie goes boys and trades up picks this year and next to get to 5 and grab a QB.

Draft day is full of surprises. 

if you are not looking to take a QB in the top 6 you would look to trade back 2 - 7 slots knowing that anyone trading up is more than likely to take a QB therefore some of those blue chippers will fall into the latter part of the top 10 or just out

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

*ticker sound* "Ladies and gentleman we have a trade. The New England Patriots have moved up to the #2 slot and have selected....... Josh Rosen....QB....UCLA."

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

*ticker sound* "Ladies and gentleman we have a trade. The New England Patriots have moved up to the #2 slot and have selected....... Josh Rosen....QB....UCLA."

what would they give up to move that far up.. ?

55 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I think everything depends on what Cleveland does with first pick , ( IMO) out of the top 4 there has to be a QB that the Giants really  like , who ever that QB is i hope the Browns take him , and maybe then ( I hope ) we get a call back from the Giants, 

I think so too, however there's a chance that if Browns take Allen, Giants take Darnold, Jets take Rosen/Mayfield, and Broncos could take the left over from Rosen/Mayfield...screwing us

But I think it goes

Darnold

Chubb/Barkley

Allen

CLE could trade with us or take Barkley if he's there

Broncos could go a bunch of ways, could take the 3rd QB, or not.

Still leaves us looking to trade up to 6-8 to get our QB.  Which would cost likely 12-65-2019 4th...or something along those lines

• Like (+1) 1

I do not want us to move up to get "whichever of the top 4-5 QB's is left". Hopefully the Bills do their research on all of the QB's in this draft, choose the ONE that is the best choice for this franchise and then do whatever is necessary to go and get him. You can't just go get one of them and assume he will be great. You have to know in advance which one you want and get THAT guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't see denver passing up on josh allen. that being said, let's say the browns surprise and take baker or rosen....

basically anyone but darnold, so it could go rosen, darnold and mayfield or mayfield rosen, baker, who knows, but if this leaves allen at 5 denver will take him having keenum. he would be perfect for denver.

this would leave us scrambling for rudolph or we just settle for the second round. jackson will not be a bill.

John Elway needs to win ball games. I am not sure he can pass on a sure fire boost in that department to take another project. I would be shocked if Denver takes a QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I do not want us to move up to get "whichever of the top 4-5 QB's is left". Hopefully the Bills do their research on all of the QB's in this draft, choose the ONE that is the best choice for this franchise and then do whatever is necessary to go and get him. You can't just go get one of them and assume he will be great. You have to know in advance which one you want and get THAT guy. 

AMEN.  

I think it goes:  

Cleveland:  Darnold - I think they are worried about taking Rosen and are afraid to pull the trigger on Baker at #1, so they opt for the "safe" pick. 

Giants or ????  (Bills or Pats):  Rosen - I think teams are going to evaluate him as the most classic NFL QB option, either the Giants just take him or someone makes it worth their while to move down.

Jets:  Mayfield - he just feels "Jets".  I think they lean away from Allen because he's just a little too much like Hackenburg, typically when teams get burnt on one type of QB prospect, they'll flip to the opposite the next time they take one.

At 4 I could legitimately see the Browns as a trade out option, they have a lot of picks, but seem to really want one of the top DBs and potentially would want to address the oline earlier than makes sense currently.  They could take the 12 & 22 package, take whichever top DB falls to 12 and potentially move up from 22 with their plethora of picks to get McGlinchy or Connor Williams.  But Chubb could just be too tempting.  It still feels like a 3 way trade where we get #2, the Giants get Chubb at 4 and the Browns get 12 / 22 and other picks has merit.

Ryan Leaf said in an interview on the Pardon My Take podcast today that Rosen "thinks like LeBron Jame thinks... he loves football, he wants to be the best QB to have ever played and what goes with that is most likely being in the biggest market, which could mean the NY Giants and that allows him for so many other (garbled)... he wants to be all that..... and that's okay."  

He goes onto to briefly compare Rosen further to LeBron about his vision (business wise) and goals.  Interesting and put some cold water on me wanting Rosen.  Not that it kills anything, just was a minor gut punch when he mentioned the G-men.

Edited by Nineforty
grammar

1 hour ago, Chuck Schick said:

This is very much like a game of high stakes poker. VERY high stakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Looks to me like the Bills are going to be playing a colossal game of chicken with the team ahead of them.  Unfortunately I think the Bills pretty much HAVE TO blink first.

I think if one of us were steering the ship, you're right.   I get the vibe from Beane that he loves to make a plan and stick to it..so for better or worse, he may not blink.  

2 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I think if one of us were steering the ship, you're right.   I get the vibe from Beane that he loves to make a plan and stick to it..so for better or worse, he may not blink.  

You may be right.   These sorts of last second draft day deals can leave most teams with 'buyer's remorse'.  I too am praying that cooler heads prevail.  (For example, I would have NEVER made the Sammy deal/pick.)

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

you sure about that   jackson will be way better

1 hour ago, Chuck Schick said:

History says only 1 or 2 guys are likely to pan out as Franchise QBs. 3 would be historic. 

Im very confident 2 of these top four are going to bust out in catastrophic fashion 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chuck Schick said:

Yes, it took us 17 years of frustration to have the "deep scars" of not having a franchise QB. It does not follow that other teams will take that long to learn that bitter lesson. There are plenty of teams in front of us who have a need at QB and plenty of teams behind us who might be willing to trade past us to get a QB. Any team that rates these 4 guys as legit franchise prospects that have any concerns at all about their own QB situation is going to be very, very interested in moving up to get one. Everybody on the planet knows that we need a QB so that any team picking behind us that wants one of the big 4 knows they have to trade up ahead of us. 

I think it is highly unlikely that any of the top 4 are going to fall to us at 12 and frankly, I view that kind of thinking as just another chapter in the book of "lets get a QB on the cheap". Sometimes there are no short cuts, no free rides and no guarantees. Sitting around hoping we become the beneficiary of a legendary strike of good luck at the draft is not a strategy, its a hope. I prefer we seize control of our own destiny and pony up what it costs to get a registered thoroughbred in the stable. 

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They might have to. It's quite possible the Giants and Browns won't move off of 2 and 4. That leaves a target of pick #5 ( on down) from there with at least 2 QBs off the board and maybe more. If the Bills don't do it some other team will. Sure, sometimes you get really lucky like the Steelers in '04 getting Big Ben at 12. You can hope for that to happen or have a plan A and B in place. I don't think they'll move up for a player they don't like. 

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Yes, it took us 17 years of frustration to have the "deep scars" of not having a franchise QB. It does not follow that other teams will take that long to learn that bitter lesson. There are plenty of teams in front of us who have a need at QB and plenty of teams behind us who might be willing to trade past us to get a QB. Any team that rates these 4 guys as legit franchise prospects that have any concerns at all about their own QB situation is going to be very, very interested in moving up to get one. Everybody on the planet knows that we need a QB so that any team picking behind us that wants one of the big 4 knows they have to trade up ahead of us. 

I think it is highly unlikely that any of the top 4 are going to fall to us at 12 and frankly, I view that kind of thinking as just another chapter in the book of "lets get a QB on the cheap". Sometimes there are no short cuts, no free rides and no guarantees. Sitting around hoping we become the beneficiary of a legendary strike of good luck at the draft is not a strategy, its a hope. I prefer we seize control of our own destiny and pony up what it costs to get a registered thoroughbred in the stable. 

But all we need is either NYG or Denver to say, "You know, we are ok at QB for a couple years....lets grab Nelson and build our o-line like Dallas did ( for example)".  

Once you get past pick 5, and there's still one of the QBs available, I agree that you then have to move up.   But you've gone from giving up probably 3 first-rounders and more for pick #2, to just our #12 and a second and third (or something like that).    

• Like (+1) 1