RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yet, the other apparent rumor is the Giants wouldn't pass on Darnold. So, if anything, them floating they are taking Allen, should in theory make teams more reluctant to try and trade for the second overall.

Unless, those in the Browns organization have some sort of insight that Allen is really who the Giants wouldn't pass on...

Here's something I bet Cleveland would really like : Fool everyone into believing Four is available on the open market to bluff Denver into trading from Five to Four. If the Broncos wanted the next quarterback bad enough to toss the Browns something just to move up one spot, then Cleveland still gets Chubb or Barkley, but with a bonus to boot......

On 4/3/2018 at 3:14 AM, SoCoBills said:

Take it for what it’s worth. If true then wow, the Browns are still the Browns. What a mistake in the making. 

UPDATE: Broadcast by some social media pages as fact and some more reputable sources as more of a strong rumor. 

Anything's possible.

Including the Browns picking Allen.

And also including Allen possibly being terrific.

Dunno whether either will happen, but both are possible.

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It doesn't really change much for Buffalo.  Unless both NYG and Denver take QBs, Buffalo will have a chance to trade up for one of the top 4.  QBs going 1,2,3 would simply take 3 guys off the board that Denver could potentially want at 5.

The rumor is that the Giants want Darnold and if they can't get him will be open to trade back. So that's huge for the Bills if the Browns go Allen. If that happened, QBs would probably go 1-2-3 and after that teams would be desperate. You could easily get Denver picking a QB or trading back to allow another team up. Assuming Allen goes first, Denver would probably see Mayfield or Rosen available to them. They could very very easily take either guy.

It could easily mean the difference for Buffalo between trading up to two for their choice of anyone but Darnold, or being shut out of the top four guys unless Cleveland trades down with us from #4, and I think they might want Barkley too much to do that.

Nothing's sure, it would be too fluid, but this could have a big effect at OBD.

3 hours ago, grb said:

Here's something I bet Cleveland would really like : Fool everyone into believing Four is available on the open market to bluff Denver into trading from Five to Four. If the Broncos wanted the next quarterback bad enough to toss the Browns something just to move up one spot, then Cleveland still gets Chubb or Barkley, but with a bonus to boot......

Yup. Good point.

18 hours ago, garybusey said:

That's if you buy the Giants love for only Darnold. I don't think it makes sense that they have 1 QB in this draft rated that much higher than the others.

They're bluffing.

Fair enough. That's definitely possible.

Edited by Thurman#1

Any chance that Hue and Cleveland covet Sam Darnold/Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson all the same?  They could take Sam Darnold (whom the Bills love) at #1 with the intention of trading down with the Bills if/when the Bills draft Lamar Jackson or maybe even Josh Allen; they may have to trade up to guarantee the one Cleveland wants.  If the trade falls through, then Cleveland keeps Darnold and is happy.  If it goes through, then they get their guy and a bunch of picks and are even happier.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, SoCoBills said:

Take it for what it’s worth. If true then wow, the Browns are still the Browns. What a mistake in the making. 

UPDATE: Broadcast by some social media pages as fact and some more reputable sources as more of a strong rumor. 

to me this is just a clear sign that the Bills have the option to get Darnold if they want in a trade with the Gmen.

This should be exciting news since it's known the Bill have a trade set up with Gmen if they want to move up.

If they don't have something lined up with Gmen, then this is worse case cuz Gmen will take Darnold and Jets will take Rosen.  This will leave Mayfield to whomever trades to 4 or 5.

17 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

to me this is just a clear sign that the Bills have the option to get Darnold if they want in a trade with the Gmen.

This should be exciting news since it's known the Bill have a trade set up with Gmen if they want to move up.

If they don't have something lined up with Gmen, then this is worse case cuz Gmen will take Darnold and Jets will take Rosen.  This will leave Mayfield to whomever trades to 4 or 5.

Or the Giants just take Barkley like has been rumored, the Jets take Baker and we are getting teams calling us for extra picks while we decide between Rosen and Darnold.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I still think this is a smokescreen. But one thing Eric Galko mentioned is that the Beowns have a lot of “wanna be” GMs in the room and that’s not always a good thing.

I've been leaning that way for quite a while now, so it doesn't surprise me.

As I've said multiple times: when Allen is right, he's easily the best QB in the class.  The reason he could go 1st is that a team decides that he was right often enough at Wyoming for them to believe that he'll be right often enough in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I still think this is a smokescreen. But one thing Eric Galko mentioned is that the Beowns have a lot of “wanna be” GMs in the room and that’s not always a good thing.

Dorsey sees Favre, Haley sees Big Ben, Haslam sees Wentz

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

As I've said multiple times: when Allen is right, he's easily the best QB in the class.  The reason he could go 1st is that a team decides that he was right often enough at Wyoming for them to believe that he'll be right often enough in the NFL.

Right.  They see the best "clay" to mold a QB with.  He's a classic AFC North guy.  If you are supremely confident in your ability to coach him up, I can't say I blame the pick, but Cleveland being the team that thinks they can mold him makes me very nervous.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

The Browns will take Allen and they seem to have the right people and team in place to develop him.

The Giants coveting Darnold is the smokescreen.  They're just driving up the price tag for #2.  I believe Darnold is at the top of the Bills' board at QB.

Edited by Chicken Boo

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Could you imagine if the Browns took Allen, the Giants Darnold and the Jets took Jackson. 

I'm waiting for the Browns to take Allen at 1 and Jackson at 12.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Browns will take Allen and they seem to have the right people and team in place to develop him.

The Giants coveting Darnold is the smokesceen.  They're just driving up the price tag for #2.  I believe Darnold is at the top of the Bills' board at QB.

I agree.  I think Beane and Gettleman have been playing a game of chicken all offseason.  Neither one has blinked so far. But if that card comes in for Allen at #1 it's going to get heated very quickly.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

9 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

What is the reason for the Allen smokescreen by the Browns, assuming it is just that? I have yet to hear an adequate explanation.

We are starting to get past the "smokescreen" period.  This is starting to be the time where what you are hearing is rooted in truth.  It was around this time last year you started to hear Trubinsky had distanced himself and Mahomes was going higher than people expected.

• Like (+1) 1

to fake out the other 31 teams so they don't know what you are doing and so that you will have your choice of player. this is the Browns we are talking about here.

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We are starting to get past the "smokescreen" period.  This is starting to be the time where what you are hearing is rooted in truth.  It was around this time last year you started to hear Trubinsky had distanced himself and Mahomes was going higher than people expected.

That's what I think as well. Start preparing the fan base. Darnold is also in play possibly instead of Allen for us. Love it

13 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

What is the reason for the Allen smokescreen by the Browns, assuming it is just that? I have yet to hear an adequate explanation.

Maybe the meeting with Darnold is because we realized he might be there at 4 too.

The thing that stands out with me is I'm not hearing much about Allen except for the Browns news.  It seems Rosen / Darnold / Baker are all on whirlwind tours with teams.  Unless I've just completely missed news on Allen, I haven't been seeing the same about him.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I would certainly draft Darnold over Allen. But selecting Allen ahead of him is not an act of irrationality as many people want to portray it. There are plenty of rumors that the Bills are targeting Allen and are willing to shed picks to get him. There was talk that has now tamped down that the Jets were interested in, as were the Broncos. 

If the Browns want a veteran qb to start the season and they want their rookie qb who they believe has the highest upside then taking Allen is not an unreasonable way to go. Again, I wouldn't take their course of action but it makes  some sense. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The thing that stands out with me is I'm not hearing much about Allen except for the Browns news.  It seems Rosen / Darnold / Baker are all on whirlwind tours with teams.  Unless I've just completely missed news on Allen, I haven't been seeing the same about him.

I agree. It seems like a lot of excitement from teams because they don't have to consider taking the Risk with Allen.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, MAJBobby said:

If this is true they made a mistake. 

Should have taken Barkley at 1 and Allen at 4. 

I think it is possible that Allen would not be there at 4.  I also think that Barkley should not be a top 4 pick based on his position and the quality of other non QB that would be available.  

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This would be amazing.

Only the Browns could take a 4th round calibre player and pick them first overall. 

Only a fan with no skin in the game could call a guy that is almost certain to be a top-10 pick a "4th round caliber (sic) player".

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Allen has visits lined up with the Browns, Broncos, Jets, and Giants this week FWIW

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would certainly draft Darnold over Allen. But selecting Allen ahead of him is not an act of irrationality as many people want to portray it. There are plenty of rumors that the Bills are targeting Allen and are willing to shed picks to get him. There was talk that has now tamped down that the Jets were interested in, as were the Broncos. 

If the Browns want a veteran qb to start the season and they want their rookie qb who they believe has the highest upside then taking Allen is not an unreasonable way to go. Again, I wouldn't take their course of action but it makes  some sense. 

I don't get the board hatred of him at all.  The detractors for Tyrod or Rosen claim they want a big QB with a big arm from a blue collar background who can relate to Buffalo.  Allen is right out of central casting for that role.  But then the same people who claim that's what they want in a QB call him a 4th round talent.

It seems there's two clear camps on QBs on the board, either the people that love them some Baker or the people who think Rosen / Darnold are better prospects, leaving Allen without a "camp" and making him the whipping boy.

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Whoever drafts Allen needs a QB in place who can play capably for a couple of years.  In Taylor, the Browns do have just that.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Only a fan with no skin in the game could call a guy that is almost certain to be a top-10 pick a "4th round caliber (sic) player".

To me it seems like a mistake to take him at 1, there are other less risky guys. Yes, he might end up being a 9-10 talent, but he is also quite risky because so much is projection. Especially when it seems like the other guys might be 8s and 9s quickly. Of course it all has risk, but the Browns.....ehhhhh.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Allen has visits lined up with the Browns, Broncos, Jets, and Giants this week FWIW

Fair enough.  So not the Bills, which could be why I'm not seeing much on him.  I've admitted shut out some of the national media after the Cooks trade and all the Patriots fanboy news sources saying they are going to trade up but we aren't.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't get the board hatred of him at all.  The detractors for Tyrod or Rosen claim they want a big QB with a big arm from a blue collar background who can relate to Buffalo.  Allen is right out of central casting for that role.  But then the same people who claim that's what they want in a QB call him a 4th round talent.

It seems there's two clear camps on QBs on the board, either the people that love them some Baker or the people who think Rosen / Darnold are better prospects, leaving Allen without a "camp" and making him the whipping boy.

I agree he has potentially the most talent. It comes with more risk than the other 3, and that makes him number 4 for me. I don't think if I were the Browns I would do this.

The fourth round talent is just ignorant.

Edited by horned dogs

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

To me it seems like a mistake to take him at 1, there are other less risky guys. Yes, he might end up being a 9-10 talent, but he is also quite risky because so much is projection. Especially when it seems like the other guys might be 8s and 9s quickly. Of course it all has risk, but the Browns.....ehhhhh.

I totally understand that position, and I don't disagree.  As you know, he's my QB4, and I'm on record that I would take Rosen at No. 1 overall because I think he's the cleanest prospect with the highest floor, and that he can make all of the NFL throws.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Fair enough.  So not the Bills, which could be why I'm not seeing much on him.  I've admitted shut out some of the national media after the Cooks trade and all the Patriots fanboy news sources saying they are going to trade up but we aren't.

I think they'll bring him in...of course, they're not bringing in Darnold, so perhaps they'll go see Allen in a similar fashion.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

I agree he has potentially the most talent. It comes with more risk than the other 3, and that makes him number 4 for me. I don't think if I were the Browns I would do this.

The fourth round talent is just ignorant.

Yeah, we actually don't disagree on the player evaluation much (if at all)...I'm just more willing to miss on Allen than most others.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

There's no "whipping boy" and no need for some conspiracy theory.  It's a fact very few QB with no year >60% completions in college succeed in the pros.  Small school QB who play against lower levels of competition also tend to struggle.  Both those things apply to Allen.  People point to his WR drop rate as a cause of poor completions but, assessments of all the college QB draft prospects show that Jackson suffered the most drops followed by Rosen, and Allen's WR didn't drop that many.

The fact is that just because a QB is "right out of central casting" or "looks the way you want your QB to look" doesn't mean he's a good NFL prospect.  People think Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield are better prospects because they've shown more on film in college and they don't show some of the same flaws that Allen shows on film.  The mitigating factor with Allen is that some people think he didn't have enough talent around him and that fixable mechanical issues caused his accuracy issues (I see him be inaccurate sometimes when I don't see obvious mechanical issues, but I defer to wiser heads on whether there's something subtle there), and he has a very high ceiling due to his size, arm, and Wonderlic score.

I recommend to you Buffalo716 QB Film Room work in the College Football forum for a fair take based upon a lot of film. 

Edit: I haven't seen anyone claim he's a 4th round talent.  I think the closest is GunnerBill, and that's based (I think) on a strict philosophy that when you draft a player based on potential, he shouldn't go in the 1st round.  In principle, I agree, but I think even Gunner would acknowledge that QB position inflation makes that unlikely with Allen.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

As I said in my posting I would take Darnold over him, and over the  other prospects. But if you look at all the qb rankings done by numerous outlets that include former front office staffers Allen is ranked with the top group. As the evaluation season winds down most of the rankings I have seen have him in the second spot. He's not an outlier----he right there in the mix. I have no criticism for people who don't believe that he is the top prospect. But I don't accept the criticism that this is an outlandish act. And what makes it even more understandable is that he is going to a team that doesn't want to play their rookie qb right away. 

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I've done it several times in the past and have almost always been right. 

I hated Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Blake Bortles, the entire 2013 QB Class, Jimmy Clausen, etc. 

All those guys, like Allen, were mediocre college QBs who were over drafted because they looked like Franchise QBs. 

As I've said numerous times, I think Josh Allen is going to be a colossal bust. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As I said in my posting I would take Darnold over him, and over the  other prospects. But if you look at all the qb rankings done by numerous outlets that include former front office staffers Allen is ranked with the top group. As the evaluation season winds down most of the rankings I have seen have him in the second spot. He's not an outlier----he right there in the mix. I have no criticism for people who don't believe that he is the top prospect. But I don't accept the criticism that this is an outlandish act. And what makes it even more understandable is that he is going to a team that doesn't want to play their rookie qb right away. 

Completely agree.  He's not #1 on my board.  I wouldn't take him #1.  But I don't think he's a clear #4 by miles like some seem to believe.  Baker's play style (and frankly personality) give me as much pause as Allen does.  Ultimately any of the 4 have more potential than any QB we've had in the building in decades.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I hated Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Blake Bortles, the entire 2013 QB Class, Jimmy Clausen, etc. 

All those guys, like Allen, were mediocre college QBs who were over drafted because they looked like Franchise QBs. 

Stop using facts and please use more emotion.  That way we can trade a thousand picks for either this guy, Dave Krieg part 2, a Lilliputian douche bag or the frail offspring of two ice dancers.  All of these things guarantee success.

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Please.

We've all been right/wrong about prospects in the past.  A guy isn't a 4th-round caliber player just because you think he is, and even if you believe him to be a very likely bust, then calling him a 4th-round caliber player is incongruous to that sentiment.  If he's got as limited a chance to play in this league as you have tirelessly professed, then he's not worth drafting.

Why take a doomed prospect in the 4th round, especially if you're always right about these things (which I'd welcome any links to previous evaluations that prove your respective genius on such matters)?  Congrats on outsmarting the football-watching world on that cast of characters by the way, nobody else called that :lol: