Big day on Thursday

He's a really intriguing prospect.  He's the most dual threat quarterback since Michael Vick as far as speed, elusiveness, and arm strength.  They both had the same knock that accuracy was a problem, but Mel Kiper's golden boy (Josh Allen) had a lower college career completion percentage than Jackson who he has going at #1.  

I actually hope he doesn't exceed expectations at his pro day making him more likely to fall in the draft.  I still have Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold in that order and would be thrilled if the Bills traded up for any of them.  However, if we're unable to trade up I would be happy if we were able to get this kid at #22 and keep all our draft picks.  We could use him like the Steelers used Kordell Stewart at WR/red zone QB if he needs time to develop.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

11AM NFL Network Louisville pro day Lamar Jackson you’re  up

It is a big day.  Don’t let the naysayers say otherwise.  His upside is insane.  If it wasn’t a big deal, it wouldn’t be broadcasted.   Jackson has been working as hard (or harder) than all of the QBs.  I’m excited to see what he does.   

• Like (+1) 2

For those who are saying "He's not a pocket passer", you're essentially wrong. Because, in his first two years he did run way too often, but as Cover1 and others did a fabulous breakdown on his game, this last year he was in the pocket far, far more than ever before and that was due to coaching. I won't rip off the article but I linked it in the other thread and it is well worth your time, especially if you're going to spit out tired narratives that are misleading.

Now, as to accuracy, he absolutely does need to improve a bit, but keep in mind his completion percentage for this last year was 59.1%....just .9 shy of the standard 60% for projecting college QBs AND keep in mind, of all the other "major 6" QBs in this Draft, he lead them all in dropped passes.....this is a relevant statistic. He still needs to improve, but not as much as everyone on this broken bandwagon seems to think. 

Do more research, with people who have really done the work to look at many games and done hours of video study. It will help.

• Like (+1) 2

More than any other prospect there seems to be a divide. 

The odd thing to me is, his fans are constantly posting things like the above. Now that poster isn't really wrong and he has put together what amounts to a solid argument for Jackson.

My guess is that it's essentially a futile effort. 

Now, personally, I really like darnold, rosen, and Allen in that order. I can be talked into liking or getting behind mayfield.

There in lies the difference. Most people who dont like Jackson probably can't be talked into liking him the same way someone who dislikes one of the big 4 can be talked into getting behind them.

After Tyrod (of course there are differences) people are probably just fed up w that style to a degree. With out getting into the advantages and disadvantages, it's just that simple.

I'm sure he is a good kid. If the Bill's draft him I'll fall in line... but for those reasons, I think ya like Jackson or you dont. There probably won't be much fence jumping as one might encounter with the other guys.

8 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

THIS MAN IS A FRAUD, TYROD PART TWO.

Yeah Idk man I saw him throw the ball away there instead of taking a tyrod sack for 12 yards that usually just pushed us out of field goal range.

15 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

THIS MAN IS A FRAUD, TYROD PART TWO.

Jackson is a very far cry from Tyrod...the fact that you compare the two to be part 1 and part 2, only shows what  you are ignoring about Jackson's game....not to mention the little thing of Jackson winning the Heisman in his second season. Add to the fact of what he's done to drastically improve his pocket presence, downfield awareness, and that he was operating one of the more complicated college Offenses, shows a bias without objectively looking at the facts. As noted above, there are pieces to work on in his game, but he is not a Tyrod part 2 and he is much more developed than many people give him credit for...he's going to be a great QB. He will need a year to mature his footwork, but once he corrects that aspect of it, he's as good a QB as you'll find. 

3 hours ago, DFT said:

It is a big day.  Don’t let the naysayers say otherwise.  His upside is insane.  If it wasn’t a big deal, it wouldn’t be broadcasted.   Jackson has been working as hard (or harder) than all of the QBs.  I’m excited to see what he does.   

Agree. His negatives are almost the same as Josh Allen, yet Allen has an amazing upside and Jackson should "play WR". Of course one has an agent that has the publicity wheel spinning in his favor and one doesn't. I think they have about the same ceiling and Jackson is a much superior all around athlete.

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

The odd thing to me is, his fans are constantly posting things like the above. Now that poster isn't really wrong and he has put together what amounts to a solid argument for Jackson.

Now, personally, I really like darnold, rosen, and Allen in that order. I can be talked into liking or getting behind mayfield.

There in lies the difference. Most people who dont like Jackson probably can't be talked into liking him the same way someone who dislikes one of the big 4 can be talked into getting behind them.

After Tyrod (of course there are differences) people are probably just fed up w that style to a degree. With out getting into the advantages and disadvantages, it's just that simple.

I'm sure he is a good kid. If the Bill's draft him I'll fall in line... but for those reasons, I think ya like Jackson or you dont. There probably won't be much fence jumping as one might encounter with the other guys.

Winning cures all. Had we drafted Watson last year and he flashed the way he did and got us to a playoff game, would the anti Tyrod crowd still hate Watson?

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Jackson is a very far cry from Tyrod...the fact that you compare the two to be part 1 and part 2, only shows what  you are ignoring about Jackson's game....not to mention the little thing of Jackson winning the Heisman in his second season. Add to the fact of what he's done to drastically improve his pocket presence, downfield awareness, and that he was operating one of the more complicated college Offenses, shows a bias without objectively looking at the facts. As noted above, there are pieces to work on in his game, but he is not a Tyrod part 2 and he is much more developed than many people give him credit for...he's going to be a great QB. He will need a year to mature his footwork, but once he corrects that aspect of it, he's as good a QB as you'll find. 

Name a Big game is has excelled in and won........................ Waiting??????

Oh yeah the Taxslayer Bowl.   4 INT's!!!!!!!! LOL

Edited by Tatonka68

30 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Name a Big game is has excelled in and won........................ Waiting??????

Jackson will be drafted before Allen, and by your logic all the QBs have that flaw.

8 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

Jackson will be drafted before Allen, and by your logic all the QBs have that flaw.

You never answered my question. Lol Jackson is one read and run,  scrambling quarterback. Why so much love for such little talent. 

4 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

You never answered my question. Lol Jackson is one read and run,  scrambling quarterback. Why so much love for such little talent. 

Do you know anything about football? Bobby Petrino runs a more complex offense than 1 read. Watch Jackson its obvious he goes through progressions. Yes certain RPO (not sure you know what that means) are 1 read, but thats the definition of an RPO play. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Yiiiiiiiikes.........

Ill agree that I wish Petrino would have developed him a little more mechanically, but calling his offense a 1-read-go????   No way.  Jackson has a propensity to run, slightly, but he’s not nearly as run-first as Vick was.  And he’s worked really hard this offseason on the mechanical piece and planting/pointing.  He’s gonna wow some folks.  But he can make reads very well and Petrino’s offense, however flawed you find it, demand multiple reads.  

If if you were legitimately faster than everyone on the field you would have a “fight or flight” mentality.  That is definitely the component Petrino developed.  In my opinion, he did a great job, too.

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

This is probably true, as for some other QBs as well. The only thing that matters is if the Bills like and draft the player. The rest will play out, like him or not. 

1 hour ago, dbflaBill said:

Do you know anything about football? Bobby Petrino runs a more complex offense than 1 read. Watch Jackson its obvious he goes through progressions. Yes certain RPO (not sure you know what that means) are 1 read, but thats the definition of an RPO play. 

Doesnt seem to be able to read a Clemson, NC State or Mississippi St defense at all. What would he do against Patriots?? Oh, sure he looks great against Syracuse and Kentucky but who doesn't???

34 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Doesnt seem to be able to read a Clemson, NC State or Mississippi St defense at all. What would he do against Patriots?? Oh, sure he looks great against Syracuse and Kentucky but who doesn't???

LOL you my friend know nothing about the game of football.. 

3 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

And by that standard Tim Tebow would be on his way to the NFL HOF...really? The idea of a team concept escapes you that much? Except for when you're Josh Allen....then, we look at the team around him, but Jackson who was essentially the entirety of Offense, then he can't win in big games....ok, got it. 

Real question: have you even watched all of his games? Have you taken the time to read through real film breakdowns of his career? If so...please link here.

Otherwise, you've formed an opinion by looking at a single stat sheet, without taking into consideration a myriad of other factors, failed to do any real history checking on his game or character, and taken the tired, old cliches and put them as your own. As you said....I'm waiting....?

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

You know nothing about Jackson and apparently do not want to learn. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

You're simply wrong....that is not even close to what he's done at Louisville, ESPECIALLY in 2017....this is just a bold-faced lie.

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Agree. His negatives are almost the same as Josh Allen, yet Allen has an amazing upside and Jackson should "play WR". Of course one has an agent that has the publicity wheel spinning in his favor and one doesn't. I think they have about the same ceiling and Jackson is a much superior all around athlete.

Winning cures all. Had we drafted Watson last year and he flashed the way he did and got us to a playoff game, would the anti Tyrod crowd still hate Watson?

I have no idea. I'd hope so, but this is a theoretical senerio. That said, I think tt and lj are closer than tt and dw.  That said, nothing has been won or lost yet - so all we have is preference which bc of that it's a harder sell

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is probably true, as for some other QBs as well. The only thing that matters is if the Bills like and draft the player. The rest will play out, like him or not. 

Agreed. All of the preferences are fine now, but once things play out and they are final it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

You may be right about most people....but I will speak only for myself and say, I've been converted. 

At the start of the college football season, i wanted no part of him and even going into December I thought I had all the information I needed. But, I tend to read and view things with an open mind, even when I truly think I have good reason to view things on a particular subject the way I do. So, once I started reading various articles, watching more of his games, and listening to those who know far more about football than I do, I started to come off the ledge a bit and finally, much more of the same information and evaluating for myself, I've come around to believing what I've already written. 

Some people won't change their mind, and I don't think it's my or anyone else's job to try and do that, but I do think we should all hold each other accountable when it comes to simply lying or misinterpreting information to feed their bias....I truly did not like Jackson for a QB in September and even into the end of November, but by the end of December I started to realize I was wrong....and I'm ok admitting that...

3 hours ago, cudi said:

Yeah Idk man I saw him throw the ball away there instead of taking a tyrod sack for 12 yards that usually just pushed us out of field goal range.

This was after he made like 5 guys miss while never leaving the pocket......

It was so Tyrod like you know?

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You're simply wrong....that is not even close to what he's done at Louisville, ESPECIALLY in 2017....this is just a bold-faced lie.

People just love spreading information....they are petrified that "their guy" might not get drafted

When they fail to realize in the end the draft can leave you holding nothing when you shoot for one player especially trying to get into the top 5 of a draft.....and the smart GM will have a plan B in mind

26 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You may be right about most people....but I will speak only for myself and say, I've been converted. 

At the start of the college football season, i wanted no part of him and even going into December I thought I had all the information I needed. But, I tend to read and view things with an open mind, even when I truly think I have good reason to view things on a particular subject the way I do. So, once I started reading various articles, watching more of his games, and listening to those who know far more about football than I do, I started to come off the ledge a bit and finally, much more of the same information and evaluating for myself, I've come around to believing what I've already written. 

Some people won't change their mind, and I don't think it's my or anyone else's job to try and do that, but I do think we should all hold each other accountable when it comes to simply lying or misinterpreting information to feed their bias....I truly did not like Jackson for a QB in September and even into the end of November, but by the end of December I started to realize I was wrong....and I'm ok admitting that...

There is hope then I suppose. It's two fold. I dont think I can change my mind PRIOR to him becoming a member of this team. If he does, well then I've got no choice. I have watched as much stuff as I can find on all these guys, as well as read and interviews w others (including speculation) and I admit.. I haven't done as much w Jackson or even Rudolph (but more than lj). That is my fault, but more so that's just a game style I've never been a fan of more than anything bc it has never sustained any long term success. It seems it's either been diagnosed and figured out, style has cut players career short, or it was too inconsistent. I don't want to make this about if that style can or can't be successful - just more so you might be a rare breed. I have some ignorance in not doing all of my homework on lj bc I'm not interested (that said I still have seen and read quite a bit - not just every drop like the others) BUT the difference is I simply say no thanks rather than downing him or busting him down at every turn bc I'm not a fan. To me, there in lies the issue.

• Like (+1) 1