Who had the strongest arm in NFL history?

major

12 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

James "Howitzer" Harris of the Buffalo Bills.  (O.K., he was never called "Howitzer," but he should have been!) 

He was the first black QB to ever start a season (1969) opener in the NFL. He was the first QB I ever saw who 'flicked' the ball, effortlessly.

You beat me to it. Harris had an absolute cannon. His receivers were known to complain that his throws, even when right on target, were too difficult to catch because of the velocity. He left many a welt on a WR. He learned a little bit of touch with the Rams later on.  Bert Jones is also a good choice here. 

• Like (+1) 1

Elway and Favre always had rockets and could really sling the ball a long way. Jamarcus Russell threw it through the uprights from 70 yards on his knees that's hard to beat. Vick had the flick of his wrist and the ball just flew out of his hands arm strength too. The jury is out and who knows.

4 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Jack Kemp had an endzone to endzone type of arm, his problem of lacking touch and knocking receivers down, were stuff of legend. I remember stories my Dad and my cousins telling me about his arm strength. You don't get those kind of stories told about you unless you had it!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/707156-the-nfls-10-strongest-armed-qbs-of-all-time.amp.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Stafford has strong arm no doubt, but show me a Stafford throw stronger then Rodgers at the :17 mark and the following 3 throws.  A picture is worth a 1000 words.  What you got?

Thank God for mute buttons.

2 hours ago, RollBillsRoll said:

I remember watching Jamarcus Russell's pregame warm up in college. He would throw the ball 65 yards from his knees, using nothing but his hips/shoulders...

People are joking about this but it happened. It happened with Al Davis on the field while he was warming up on his pro day or during the combine. I was watching Nfl network or espn 2 and he threw it about 60 yards (a little short if I recall) on a knee. The pundits talked about it for the next 5 minutes. One even juxtaposed his raw physical skill with Brian Bosworth which brought jeers from all the other empaneled talking heads. Turns out he was spot on. 

Anyone who says “easily ______,” or “easily ______,” that doesn’t involve JaMarcus Russell is more focused on him being a bust than they are his arm strength. Not sure anyone ever had a more powerful throwing arm. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Anyone who says “easily ______,” or “easily ______,” that doesn’t involve JaMarcus Russell is more focused on him being a bust than they are his arm strength. Not sure anyone ever had a more powerful throwing arm. 

This.
To that ends, if you don't include at the least Favre and Elway ... they are part of the discussion. Here's a question - does any of this relate to success as a QB? Does it end in less or more interceptions? Long TD plays? How would you want to measure it? 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Justin Ernest set the bench press record at the Combine in 1999 with 51 reps of of 225 pounds, so I would have to say he had two of the strongest arms.

He didn't play a down though, so maybe 2011's Stephen's Paea, who put up 49 reps?

Leif Larsen sighting here ...

21 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

People are joking about this but it happened. It happened with Al Davis on the field while he was warming up on his pro day or during the combine. I was watching Nfl network or espn 2 and he threw it about 60 yards (a little short if I recall) on a knee. The pundits talked about it for the next 5 minutes. One even juxtaposed his raw physical skill with Brian Bosworth which brought jeers from all the other empaneled talking heads. Turns out he was spot on. 

Kyle Boller could do the same thing, except he threw it 80 yards from one knee. 

Im pretty sure Marino and Elway are going to be at the front at that conversation.  Their receivers would talk about how they would get a cross imprinted on their Chest when they would catch the ball in their chest from the tip of the football it was coming so hard and fast (thats what she said...). 

Im sure there is some scrub out there who could throw it harder, just like their are scrub golfers who hit the ball longer than the best real pros, but thats all gonna be hear say essentially.  Of the guys who really played and suited up, I think Marino and Elway lead that conversation.