Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery - Final Surgery Scheduled for 11/28/18

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Statement Friday on Jim Kelly from Dr. Mark Urken, head and neck surgeon at Mount Sinai West: "Mr. Kelly continues to make solid progress in his recovery from extensive surgery for his oral cancer. He has been moved out of the intensive care unit and made that transition by walking, on his own, from the unit to the inpatient floor where he will continue the next phase of care. He is still several days away from resuming swallowing and taking nutrition by mouth."

I don’t know if anyone cares to hear my wife’s armchair diagnosis as a medical speech therapist, but she works with a lot of patients in similar predicaments. She can tell Jim is trached (that’s the safety strap going around his neck) for breathing, which is OK, because they don’t want to mess around with his mouth’s healing process right now by sticking a tube down his throat. She’s also pretty sure that’s a brand new feeding tube hanging off to the side of his face. That’s good news if they’ve moved to that from the peg tube that goes into the side of your gut. 

Most people can probably guess why the family isn’t showing Jim’s face right now. He’s bound to still be pretty swollen, bruised and just generally jacked up. Plus the tracheostomy. I think this is a nice, intimate, but still respectful way they’ve chosen to document Jim’s recovery in these immediate days. 

So still a long road ahead, but this is all good progress. Especially him being up and moving with the procedure they had to do on his leg (you can see the bandages on his left leg) to reconstruct his upper jaw. 

Much love to the Kellys!

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

I don’t know if anyone cares to hear my wife’s armchair diagnosis as a medical speech therapist, but she works with a lot of patients in similar predicaments. She can tell Jim is trached (that’s the safety strap going around his neck) for breathing, which is OK, because they don’t want to mess around with his mouth’s healing process right now by sticking a tube down his throat. She’s also pretty sure that’s a brand new feeding tube hanging off to the side of his face. That’s good news if they’ve moved to that from the peg tube that goes into the side of your gut. 

Most people can probably guess why the family isn’t showing Jim’s face right now. He’s bound to still be pretty swollen, bruised and just generally jacked up. Plus the tracheostomy. I think this is a nice, intimate, but still respectful way they’ve chosen to document Jim’s recovery in these immediate days. 

So still a long road ahead, but this is all good progress. Especially him being up and moving with the procedure they had to do on his leg (you can see the bandages on his left leg) to reconstruct his upper jaw. 

Much love to the Kellys!

Thanks for that info. What you say makes sense.

I pray to God that this finally cures Jim of this.

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-28: Jim Kelly Undergoes Jaw Reconstruction Surgery Today - Released from the Hospital
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-28: Jim Kelly Undergoes Jaw Reconstruction Surgery Today - Headed Home
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Wow Jim looks completely different.

Yeah, losing your whole jaw will do that to a guy.

I hope Jimbo can find some peace and live out the rest of his days in some sort of comfort.  I just don't have a great feeling about this.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-28: Jim Kelly Undergoes Jaw Reconstruction Surgery Today - Showed Up at Rookie Minicamp
On 4/17/2018 at 3:19 AM, bbb said:

He's walking pretty good for having part of his leg taken out two weeks ago!

Yeah definitely.

Fibula resection is a tough one.

I treated a guy last year who had similar procedure, fibula bone piece taken out and grafted into his shoulder (not jaw)

His walking came back pretty quick, but it was painful.

He also wasn't a cancer patient, so bone healing is a lot slower for Jim due to that.

Wishing him the best.

I met him as a kid back in the early 90s, was a great experience.

• Like (+1) 2