None of These QB's Should Get the Hype

Irv

IMHO - I feel that this is going to turn out to be the best QB draft class yet.  Not only are there Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph but also guys like White, Lauletta, Falk & Ferguson just to name a few.  I watched more college football this past year than I ever have and these guys are going to take the QB position to a higher overall level. 

Let's go Buffalo!!!!!

12 hours ago, Irv said:

This is sick.  There are no obvious Kelly's, Elway's, Luck's, P. Manning's, Newton's, in this draft.  Too many folks are QB drunk.  That includes a lot of folks on this board.  When the draft is so clearly unknown in the top 1-10 that has to tell you that these QB's are not like the premier guys from the past.  I trust OBD brass to know that.   What do you think?

Sooooooooooooo - what you are saying is you don't like this QB class?

12 hours ago, Irv said:

This is sick.  There are no obvious Kelly's, Elway's, Luck's, P. Manning's, Newton's, in this draft.  Too many folks are QB drunk.  That includes a lot of folks on this board.  When the draft is so clearly unknown in the top 1-10 that has to tell you that these QB's are not like the premier guys from the past.  I trust OBD brass to know that.   What do you think?

Funny thing is when Kelly Marino were drafted nobody was thinking 2 future HOF QB's. You don't know jack about who is going to become what in this draft like the rest of us.... But this franchise needs to get a top QB and it doesn't matter whether you agree or not, this is a QB league and you need to go get one and keep trying till you do

and I beg to differ on the Cam Newton comparison. It what world is Cam Newton some world beater HOF QB. He's decent and average.

Edited by ddaryl

12 hours ago, Irv said:

BAH GAWD you're right. It's disgusting. It's vile. It's gross. It's evil and it's wrong and it's gotta be stopped.

Grow up, Peter Pan. Count Chocula.

12 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I’ll give you Elway and Luck, but why is it obvious that the other guys were better prospects?

This.

Elway, Peyton and Luck. And after that there are guys with faults that have a good to decent chance to make it, but no near-sure things.

And yeah, to those who've said so, yeah this thread is unnecessary and wildly repetitive. But like it or not there's an appetite for things like this.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This.

Elway, Peyton and Luck. And after that there are guys with faults that have a good to decent chance to make it, but no near-sure things.

Peyton had his faults too, his arm was questioned and he had faltered in big games so people called him a choke artist. 

Just now, Batman1876 said:

Peyton had his faults too, his arm was questioned and he had faltered in big games so people called him a choke artist. 

People questioned Elway and Luck too.

But all three were about as close as you'll get to faultless in a world where faultless doesn't exist.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

People questioned Elway and Luck too.

But all three were about as close as you'll get to faultless in a world where faultless doesn't exist.

So either you have to pick a QB with faults or be the Colts. 

13 hours ago, Irv said:

Well i guess that settles it!  The crystal ball has been seen, no reason to get excited.

Just draft Corners and guards and call it a day

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Excellent point.

P Manning was essentially a nobody coming out of Tennessee.  Huge risk.

Jim Kelly? Didn't move the needle at all before the draft.  I mean, he was Florida so most teams up north wouldn't even think of drafting him.

Newton was some JUCO project.

Maybe true but clearly none of them hold a candle to Kim Jung QB.  I know you agree comrade.

9 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Well i guess that settles it!  The crystal ball has been seen, no reason to get excited.

Just draft Corners and guards and call it a day

I disagree.  I think we should draft a QB.  It does not matter who as long as we trade up to the top.  Sure maybe we could get Laulelauletaletta at 22 easily but if we trade up into the top 10 to take him, his odds of being awesome skyrocket.

Folks are missing the point.  There is no clear number one and there is NO WAY all of them are can't miss.  Luck, Elway, Manning, Newton were all no doubt #1 picks in the first round.  These 5-6 guys  - you could throw there names in the hat and not worry because nobody stands out.  Too much QB euphoria.   

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Folks are missing the point.  There is no clear number one and there is NO WAY all of them are can't miss.  Luck, Elway, Manning, Newton were all no doubt #1 picks in the first round.  These 5-6 guys  - you could throw there names in the hat and not worry because nobody stands out.  Too much QB euphoria.   

Newton was number 1 in a sucky QB draft though. 

Just being a consensus #1 doesn't make you good. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Newton was number 1 in a sucky QB draft though. 

Just being a consensus #1 doesn't make you good. 

You take that back!

Sincerely,

The Widow Couch

Edited by Irv

11 minutes ago, Irv said:

And what would your point/rant be if 2 or 3 of them become franchise QB's for the next 15 years and the Bills passed to draft a friggin LB'er or CB?

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No it is true. Who is the Widow Couch? 

Tim Couch's mom.  Weak attempt at humor.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

And what would your point/rant be if 2 or 3 of them become franchise QB's for the next 15 years and the Bills passed to draft a friggin LB'er or CB?

I'd probably hold my breath and fall to the floor.  Soil myself.  Wake up in a pool of my own urine and vomit.  What will be your point/rant if we draft one of these dudes and she plays like another EJ Manuel/JP Lossman?    

Edited by Irv

1 hour ago, slaphappy said:

I wonder where Mccarron would go if we plunked him in this draft.. still fall to the 5th round or further down..would he go higher? 

PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE     GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH
  DARNOLD, SAM* QB 6'3" 220 USC     7.0  
  ROSEN, JOSH* QB 6'4" 226 UCLA     6.1  
  MAYFIELD, BAKER QB 6'1" 215 Oklahoma     6.0  
  ALLEN, JOSH QB 6'5" 233 Wyoming     6.0  
  JACKSON, LAMAR* QB 6'3" 200 Louisville     5.9  
  RUDOLPH, MASON QB 6'5" 235 Oklahoma St.     5.6  
  WHITE, MIKE QB 6'4" 225 Western Kentucky     5.6

McCarron was a 5.76 coming out and his current grade given his game experience would likely be a 6, so he would be right in the thick of first round. Scores translate as NFL key below.  

GRADE TITLE
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
5.00 50-50 Chance to make NFL roster
4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Tim Couch's mom.  Weak attempt at humor.

I'd probably hold my breath and fall to the floor.  Soil myself.  Wake up in a pool of my own urine and vomit.  What will be your point/rant if we draft one of these dudes and she plays like another EJ Manuel/JP Lossman?    

We tried, try again

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You’re no Rick Azar.

Hell, you’re not even in Clip Smith’s territory.

Blasphemy!

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I say trade 16 future first rounders and take all 3 QBs. 

You know - that is not as crazy as it sounds.   Look at he Big Ben, Peyton, that guy from New England.   Maybe I'm nuts.  Great post.   

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:
  PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE     GRADEquestion-mark.png WATCH
  DARNOLD, SAM* QB 6'3" 220 USC     7.0  
  ROSEN, JOSH* QB 6'4" 226 UCLA     6.1  
  MAYFIELD, BAKER QB 6'1" 215 Oklahoma     6.0  
  ALLEN, JOSH QB 6'5" 233 Wyoming     6.0  
  JACKSON, LAMAR* QB 6'3" 200 Louisville     5.9  
  RUDOLPH, MASON QB 6'5" 235 Oklahoma St.     5.6  
  WHITE, MIKE QB 6'4" 225 Western Kentucky     5.6

McCarron was a 5.76 coming out and his current grade given his game experience would likely be a 6, so he would be right in the thick of first round. Scores translate as NFL key below.  

GRADE TITLE
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
5.00 50-50 Chance to make NFL roster
4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp

Great post!

15 hours ago, Irv said:

Folk, in that case, would include yourself.

Again, there is no such thing as can't miss. Even Luck, Elway and Newton had faults.

The idea that only guys who are no doubt #1 picks should be coveted is just dumb. It ignores the fact that some drafts don't have a guy like that and some have several. And this is one of the ones with several. It's not a mistake that the odds look pretty good that QBs will go 1-2-3. This is that good a year.

The reason nobody stands out is that they're all really good. There's just the right amount of QB euphoria for a year when there are maybe four QBs who will probably go in the top ten or twelve and maybe as many as five or even six in the first round. 

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Does OP know Kelly wasn’t the first or second QB taken and not the Bills first pick? Does OP know there was real debate between Leaf and Manning and Bledsoe and Mirer?

Dumb point.  All the teams were worried about the USFL.  He also had a major shoulder injury leading up to the draft.  You probably didn't know that.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Folk, in that case, would include yourself.

Again, there is no such thing as can't miss. Even Luck, Elway and Newton had faults.

The idea that only guys who are no doubt #1 picks should be coveted is just dumb. It ignores the fact that some drafts don't have a guy like that and some have several. And this is one of the ones with several. It's not a mistake that the odds look pretty good that QBs will go 1-2-3. This is that good a year.

The reason nobody stands out is that they're all really good. There's just the right amount of QB euphoria for a year when there are maybe four QBs who will probably go in the top ten or twelve and maybe as many as five or even six in the first round. 

Your point is dumb.  If these guys are so great, then why are most of the draft experts saying that all 5 or 6 of them will sit a year behind a veteran?

Edited by Irv

On 3/28/2018 at 9:18 AM, freddyjj said:

I will play the law of averages.  2 will be Franchise QBs, All Pro, potential HOF careers in store.  2 will be good, average long term starters.  And 2 will be below average NFL Journeyman.   The tough part is figuring out who's who before the draft!

Let's  look at the OP's 1983 draft as a sample.  The 1st QB taken,(Elway) the 3rd QB taken (Kelly) and the 6th QB taken (Marino) in Rd 1 all became HOFers and true Franchise QBs. Tony Eason was the 4th QB taken and Ken O'Brien was the 5th Qb taken and both had 10 year careers in the league with NFL Starter  average results.  Only Todd Blackledge, the 2nd QB taken, would qualify as a bust.

This years class are not as experienced coming out of college save for Mayfield and Rudolph.  But the talent is there with all 6 of the top prospects.  Time will tell.

15 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Does OP know Kelly wasn’t the first or second QB taken and not the Bills first pick? Does OP know there was real debate between Leaf and Manning and Bledsoe and Mirer?

previously covered class of 1983.