Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

41 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I haven't liked a prospect more than Darnold since Andrew Luck. I think he has greatness in him. We shall see.

this is interesting to me.  horrible mechanics, sloppy footwork, poor ball security, 21 fumbles, but you think he's the best since Luck?  can you elaborate?  nothing i see on video makes me think he will be more than a game manager at the next level.  there are people that agree with you, he's ranked as #1 or #2 in a lot of mocks.  i just can't wrap my head around it

I hope this makes people realize how much it would really cost to go to #2.  Seeing it in black and white is mind boggling.  To think some people thought we could package our #12, and one pick from each round to go to #2.  Now we are looking at the possibility of multiple 1st round picks and multiple picks overall.  I still would stay at 12 and keep the picks UNLESS you are 99% sure this guy is a franchise QB.  If there is any hesitation in that, then stay put and keep the picks.

3 minutes ago, P51 said:

The point values IMO dont work out that favorably if I am reading this right, using the either the point value charts (Hill or Johnson) when comparing the cost of the Jets trade (34% increase/23rd pick value). Adding another 3rd is comparable and still less than the Jets trade. I agree completely about keeping the 2019 1st 100%.

Im pretty sure using the Jets trade as a comparison, its going to cost more that people think to move up to #2. 

To play the devil's advocate, Jets may have overpaid to move up.  How many teams can match what's proposed by the trade rumors?   And if the Bills are convince that the #2 QB is a franchise player, they have much more draft ammo than anyone. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Philip Rivers is a GREAT player who has been snakebitten. One name captures his bad luck: Marlon McCree. All you need to know. If not for him, the Chargers are likely the 2006 season SB winner. 

My point was that Rivers is very good, but has been unable to carry his team in most seasons.  The Chargers had some very good seasons in the first 5 years of his career, but since then, they haven't been big playoff threats.  Point taken though, so substitute Alex Smith, Jameis Winston, Carson Palmer, and a bunch of others who would not be called busts, but also weren't saviors either.

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Well in an odd way the fact that someone as BS as him went into such specifics kind of lends the report a weird credibility.

So he has refined his "process."  Just like the guy who claims he was abducted by a UFO.  Nobody listens the first time so he embellishes the story with probing.  

8 minutes ago, P51 said:

The point values IMO dont work out that favorably if I am reading this right, using the either the point value charts (Hill or Johnson) when comparing the cost of the Jets trade (34% increase/23rd pick value). Adding another 3rd is comparable and still less than the Jets trade. I agree completely about keeping the 2019 1st 100%.

Im pretty sure using the Jets trade as a comparison, its going to cost more that people think to move up to #2. 

It won’t be cheap but fortunately the Giants can’t get an offer better than that. It is a matter of whether or not the Giants are comfortable moving down. They hold some cards because they have a desirable pick. We hold some cards in that we have the best possible offer.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You know for a fair amount of posters here that they are "self-servicing" themselves over the possibility.  

If I could do that I'd never leave the house.

Edited by BeefCurtns
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

this is interesting to me.  horrible mechanics, sloppy footwork, poor ball security, 21 fumbles, but you think he's the best since Luck?  can you elaborate?  nothing i see on video makes me think he will be more than a game manager at the next level.  there are people that agree with you, he's ranked as #1 or #2 in a lot of mocks.  i just can't wrap my head around it

First off, I watch a fair amount of Pac-12 games because it's my alma mater's conference (UCLA). Darnold plays well in big games and at big moments. He is also a GREAT thrower who keeps plays alive a la Big Ben. I don't worry so much about the picks either because he is only 20 years old and played tough competition almost every week. Even against OSU this year in the bowl game, he was seriously let down by WRs who dropped two perfect throws that would have sustained early drives (both were on third down in the first quarter). Failing on those drives really put them in the hole, and once they got down, he was up against the most talented pass D in the nation (DEs and secondary). Even still, he played hard and well through the second half despite being way down (8 ypa in that game).  In 2017, their non-conference games were ND, Texas, and Western Michigan (which went 12-0 the previous season with Corey Davis). In 2016, just look at the offensive production starting in game 4, when he took over the job. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-usc-trojans-football-schedule.php#

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I hope this makes people realize how much it would really cost to go to #2.  Seeing it in black and white is mind boggling.  To think some people thought we could package our #12, and one pick from each round to go to #2.  Now we are looking at the possibility of multiple 1st round picks and multiple picks overall.  I still would stay at 12 and keep the picks UNLESS you are 99% sure this guy is a franchise QB.  If there is any hesitation in that, then stay put and keep the picks.

That's the problem.  It does not matter who the Bills get at 2 if it were to happen as a number of heads will explode here based on the choice.  It's unavoidable. I guarantee that there will "I quit this team" threads within hours of us making our selection if we choose at 2.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He plays well in big games and is a GREAT thrower who keeps plays alive a la Big Ben. I don't worry so much about the picks either because he is only 20 years old and played tough competition almost every week. Even against OSU this year in the bowl game, he was seriously let down by WRs who dropped two perfect throws that would have sustained early drives (both were on third down in the first quarter). Failing on those drives really put them in the hole, and once they got down, he was up against the most talented pass D in the nation (DEs and secondary). Even still, he played hard and well through the second half despite being way down (8 ypa in that game).  In 2017, their non-conference games were ND, Texas, Western Michigan (which went 12-0 the previous season with Corey Davis). In 2016, just look at the offensive production starting in game 4, when he took over the job. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-usc-trojans-football-schedule.php#

21 fumbles, though..

1 minute ago, garybusey said:

21 fumbles, though..

He's young - as in really young. I don't worry so much about that. He's played two seasons against the highest level competition in a pro-like offense and unlike so many college qbs, he LOOKS like a pro thrower out there given the sorts of throws he tries to make. Mistakes are part of the learning process. There is a reason why he's pretty much the consensus #1 pick.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

To play the devil's advocate, Jets may have overpaid to move up.  How many teams can match what's proposed by the trade rumors?   And if the Bills are convince that the #2 QB is a franchise player, they have much more draft ammo than anyone. 

They did clearly overpay and that was just to move up from 6 to 3, but they did not pay too much over the going rate for a QB in the top 5 which if I remember correctly is about a 30% increase, they paid a 34% increase. 

Your right, not many teams can match what the Bills have to offer, but the Giants are not going to take pennies on the dollar, the market was set by the Jets trade. The Giants dont have to move down, they may take slightly less, but it would be bad business to take significantly less than market value. The Giants know the Bills have more ammo than everyone else besides the Browns and will squeeze them for as close to market value as possible, they are not going to give them a discount. 

It'll be up to the Bills to come up with a price point that they are comfortable with and hold firm and try to get the Giants to bite IMO. 

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

That's the problem.  It does not matter who the Bills get at 2 if it were to happen as a number of heads will explode here based on the choice.  It's unavoidable. I guarantee that there will "I quit this team" threads within hours of us making our selection if we choose at 2.

Exactly, and honestly, more often than now they are blowing smoke out of their.... usually they are also a smaller group of fans that are the loudest with this type of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yeah, I'm left wondering the same.  He seemed to really regress last year.  I don't see much at all.  USC was a stacked preseason top-5 team and he could only lead them to a 3 loss season?  Josh Rosen averaged over 380 yard/games in games that he started and finished.  And that's with one of the worst o-line and receiving groups in the country.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't think we'll have to pay a giant premium to trade up to #2.  It's in the Giants interest as well to not let the Jets get the 2nd best QB.  

right. it's all about being the #1 show in town and not playing second fiddle.