Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have to. What I think some need to reconcile and come to terms with is their expectations for 2018. They may take a step back and not be good and not be a playoff team this year. To me, at least, that is ok. I want to build the team for the long term. The previous regimes were forever building for the short term. If it means a bad season this year with the rookie, but you are able to actually be a perennial contender after that as you continue to build around your QB - that should be the goal. Not 9-7 squeezing into a WC with a limited, bridge type QB every so often but no long term plan for consistent success like the teams who compete in the playoffs year in and year out. 

Goes back to what McD said  - "We are not as far along as people think". Get the damn QB

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

ICB is guessing. He has sources like we do. I wish we'd stop giving that guy the attention.

Whoever he/she is blocked on me on Twitter. I really don't give much credence to what that individual says.

I'm just stating if that was in fact the package we would still have a perfectly fine draft.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Kirby's point, and it is a fair one, is that top flight DL rarely make free agency.  I'd still prefer to do the deal as Kirby suggests.... but if they want my 2019 1st then I am willing to do it so long as I give up nothing else beyond those three 1st round picks.  

Absolutely a fair point.  I think I'm more open to trading next years first because of the Jets recent move.  It's basically QB or go home for me.

At the same time though, lets say we do make another playoff run....probably wouldn't get a top flight DL with a pick in the 20's.

I wasn't thinking Mario Williams type signing for free agency....more like a Bruce Irvin type.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would do that in a heartbeat. Still have a 2nd and 3rd this year. And dont lose next year's 1st. Done. Book it. Let's go!

That's a deal in which you don't need to run it by Terry...you just do it.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would do that in a heartbeat. Still have a 2nd and 3rd this year. And dont lose next year's 1st. Done. Book it. Let's go!

its a sweet deal but the Giants will try to milk more hence the reason the Giants released details of the offer. Now teams know what they have to beat.

If nobody outbids us were in

50 minutes ago, Meazy26 said:

Kelly didn't want to be here... that turned out well.

Yes, but Kelly is blue-collar Western Pennsylvania.  Rosen might come to like it here, but the sensibility gap is considerably greater.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

its a sweet deal but the Giants will try to milk more hence the reason the Giants released details of the offer. Now teams know what they have to beat.

I understand all is fair in love and war, but if Gettleman really did that to Beane, that's kinda effed up. They could take those parameters to other teams directly. No need to air the laundry. I dont think that's really going on.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No other team will have 2 1sts to offer this year nor the overall draft capital in 2018 to realistically be able to offer 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

And that makes us a perfect match for the giants without us having to overpay.  Beane is going to play his cards and wait it out until the Giants call him and take up the offer. I can't see Miami and Arizona have such draft capital to get the Giants any leverage.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Yes, but Kelly is blue-collar Western Pennsylvania.  Rosen might come to like it here, but the sensibility gap is considerably greater.

Well, if Aaron Rogers (he of Hollywood girlfriend fame) can do OK in Green Bay, I don't worry about Rosen in our little burg...

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

What I believe: that Beane doesn’t feel he has spent enough time yet with the QBs

What i don’t believe: that he doesn’t know yet whether he needs to move up based on his QBs rankings as of today

Beane is having coach speak syndrome rite now. Hes contradicting himself all over yolo you know this.

Hes been scouting these QBs all year. Was even at the Rosen vs darnold game.

He doesnt wanna show how interested he is so he dont get raped on a trade up.

He def knows he has to trade up but like you said the pro day and team visits will probobly finalize their board and qb rankings and prospect value.

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And that makes us a perfect match for the giants without us having to overpay.  Beane is going to play his cards and wait it out until the Giants call him and take up the offer. I can't see Miami and Arizona have such draft capital to get the Giants any leverage.

It's one thing to take that approach when you are talking to the Giants / Colts / maybe even the Browns at 4.

But one of those teams made their move.  If we are anywhere close to getting the deal done, you get it done.  You don't risk Miami / Denver / Arizona etc doing something crazy.

You think people were upset after the Jets made their move, what happens if the Dolphins throw all in and get pick #2, the Jets & Dolphins both walk out with franchise QBs we have to see for the next 10 years + and we just sit on a pile of draft capital with AJ McCarron and Mason Rudolph "battling it out"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, ganesh said:

I don't see MIA or AZ as a threat here. It's really about how far back the NYG are being asked to move, those picks are close to BUF at 12. The major issue is DEN at 5. Do they want to draft a QB ? Would they move up from 5 to #2 to get a guy they want? I think Elway is in win now mode and will pass on a QB with a high pick. Many would disagree. Some NY media think the Giants are absolutely taking a QB at 2, declining to move back. 

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I don’t see the huge market for this pick. They won’t want to move down past 12 I assume. The only other “QB needy” teams ahead of us are Miami and Denver. Neither one has the ability to offer two 1sts this year and if they added the 2nd and 3rd their entire 1st part of the draft would be wiped out unlike the Bills so it makes it less likely they would do that. They also both have starters entrenched for this year which makes them less likely to be desperate to give up that much to move up. The NYG could try to milk more, but if unless they have conviction on a QB at 2 they would be stupid to give up all of those draft picks.

Edited by YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The question for me is if they ask for 3 1st rounders (2x 2018 and 1x 2019) how much else do I have to give up?  If it is those three picks I think there is an argument for it being just those 3 picks.  

From the Giants' perspective a deal would have to include a second and third round pick in this year's draft. You are in reality not giving up two first round picks this year. You are exchanging first round picks and then giving up your lower first round pick. If giving up another first round pick next year is part of the price then so be it. 

On WGR they were talking about what a deal with the Giants would look like. Sal C pointed out that sometimes teams exchange a higher for a lower pick in order to mitigate such a high cost deal. As an example the Giants might consider trading us a third round pick for our fourth round pick this year or next year. It would be a minor adjustment but it would at least be a mitigating factor in such a deal. With a little imagination and some fortitude an advantageous deal can be worked out for both sides. 

My prediction is that a deal is going to be done. Everything that has been done since this regime took over has put us in a position to make a deal. The concept of a deal has already been made and now it is time to actualize it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

Way too steep. Beane needs to stick to his guns. 12-22-65- next yr 2nd

That's like showing up at a Mercedes dealership with $500 and a ham sandwich and saying "I don't care what the price you have on the car, I'll give you $500 and this sandwich!"