Daniel Jeremiah's Top Ten QB Prospects of the Last Three Drafts

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wow, interesting to see Watson below Allen.

yeah.  that is bizarre to me.  Jeremiah must think that Allen has "Cam Newton" skills or whatever the current narrative is.  Watson won a freaking National Championship, and was a main reason Clemson won.   But if based on initial draft grade, it shows how those can be skewed.  

49 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Combining this list with the one that he wrote dating back to 2011, we can piece his top 10 from 2011-2018 together (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647484/article/top-10-quarterback-draft-prospects-since-2011):

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Robert Griffin III

4. Jameis Winston

5. Teddy Bridgewater

6. Marcus Mariota

7. Sam Darnold

8. Carson Wentz

9. Josh Rosen

10. Jared Goff

interesting...

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's also one of my favorite people in the business--an absolute class act with a great sense of humor.

He's probably the one national media draft guy that I'd like to spend a day watching film with.

Maybe with Charles Davis in the background providing narration.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1) Sam Darnold, USC

2) Carson Wentz, North Dakota State

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA

4) Jared Goff, Cal

5) Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming

7) Deshaun Watson, Clemson

8) Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

9) DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

10) Paxton Lynch, Memphis

I don't think Darnold is better then Wentz or Watson

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Lmao, he didn’t even put Mahomes on there, but Paxton Lynch is on there? I’m not the biggest fan of either but Lynch is not good. 

This list was based on his grade of the QB's at the time of each draft.    So he gave Lynch a higher grade than Mahomes.  Where is the issue?  I can see a case made where both were close in grade at the time of the draft.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I don't think Darnold is better then Wentz or Watson

Is this how he had them graded before seeing them in the NFL? Wentz was tricky because of where he played....hard to tell...

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This list was based on his grade of the QB's at the time of each draft.    So he gave Lynch a higher grade than Mahomes.  Where is the issue?  I can see a case made where both were close in grade at the time of the draft.

You answered my question. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I'll admit, last year I had no idea Watson was going to be so good, I liked Mahomes the most and I'm embarrassed to admit it  but I really liked Mitchell Trubisky as well. :D

This is such a genuine post! I was all end on Watson last year... it's something about going to back to back National Title games facing the only team in college that resembles an NFL team. Watson was the real deal

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Most productive QB since 2016 draft?

A guy not on the three year list.

Hmmmm ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Nonsense, if you read the forums then you know that none of these QB's this year are worth trading up for. We have a lot of draft experts that have high level business meetings so I respect their opinions

Prospects is the operative word. No one knows how they are going to perform in the NFL.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow, interesting to see Watson below Allen.

This shouldn't be very surprising. Watson was generally pegged around the 15-30 range on big boards last year; Allen is generally in the top 5-10 on big boards this year. Media scouts didn't like last year's QB class very much.

1 hour ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Christ, I must be watching the wrong Sam Darnold highlights. I just don’t see it.

The biggest things these draft type guys use to measure QB's is progression, year over year.  They want to see them correct mistakes, see a defense and make the correct throw that one expects from a pre snap read.  Accuracy, speed, are all tangible assets, but QB scouts look to answer one big huge question after the familiar measurable check off; can this kid learn, has he proven that he can.  This, is, IMO, the biggest thing teams and scouts look for in college QB prospects.  When all else is equal, it's the intangibles; things like what do they do on their free time, any history of this and that.. etc..

Guys, that haven't done well, Lynch, as an example, may check all the boxes, even the learning part, but simply got drafted by the wrong team into the wrong system.

It's not a science, but it is science-light.

Tim-