Josh Allen's our guy...

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who was a lazy fat POS......know all about him from being in Raider land.

What is Josh Allen's work ethic like?

He is not my top choice.....but this is gonna be a crazy draft.

Russell was also a junkie.

Give a read to what Mike Bobo had to say about Allen in playing against him. 

"I can’t say enough about (Allen), he makes them go,” Bobo said. “He is about impossible to tackle. He makes plays after plays with his legs and his arm…Countless times over the last two years, this guy has made plays to win ballgames. Truly, truly impressive kid.”

Possibly more than anything else, Allen’s arm strength presents the biggest challenge for opposing defenses. His ability to make strong, accurate throws on the run had Bobo awestruck. It’s not as if he just dumps the ball off in the flat, either. Allen routinely completes 40-yard strikes across his body, leaving defensive coordinators scratching their heads."

“His toughness impresses me. They lost some pieces around him, and a lot’s on this kid’s shoulders,” Bobo said. “And he keeps coming out every series with the moxie and the confidence that ‘I’m gonna put this team on my back offensively.’”

https://collegian.com/2017/10/mike-bobo-impressed-by-josh-allens-athleticism-not-focused-on-statistics/

Allen is going to need to sit for 2-3 yrs and you need a veteran like Keenum to hold things down until he is ready. I think wherever Allen ends up team should look to pair him with Keenum. Keenum gets his money 3-4 yr deal while Allen gets to sit back and learn.

43 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

And you know this how?

Do you believe that completion percentage is affected by supporting cast?  His OL was under-manned and his receivers were not very good.

i don’t know if he will be a good pro, but for sure he was handicapped by his supporters cast.

Can we maybe agree that he has a BIG arm and was handicapped by his supporting cast?  I don’t know if he can succeed at the NFL level, but I do believe his team made him look worse than he is.

Completion percentage is also linked to his OL.  If his OL provided little protection AND. His receivers couldn’t get open, it would be hard to blame him.  

His receivers were not so great, but neither were the dbs covering them. The real issue is that he does not throw with any anticipation, sound familiar?

I'm okay with Allen, but only if we take him at 21. If you're taking him you have to accept he's a major project and unlikely to ever put it all together, so it's not wise to use extra picks on him. We're lucky enough to have an extra 1st round pick so using a luxury pick on Allen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He would have to sit his entire rookie year, don't even think about starting him. So we would need a veteran plan. I wouldn't hate it as much as I used to think, but only if it's with our original pick.

5 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Allen is going to need to sit for 2-3 yrs and you need a veteran like Keenum to hold things down until he is ready. I think wherever Allen ends up team should look to pair him with Keenum. Keenum gets his money 3-4 yr deal while Allen gets to sit back and learn.

Agree, if he is gonna make it he will need to be groomed for a couple years. One GM claimed his football knowledge was not even close to where it will need to be at the next level. A long ways off is how he put it.

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

I think he's the best QB in the draft.  Has an arm like Rodgers.  Only thing I question is his football IQ?  Hard to dissect that on tape.  Assuming that is good,  i'd say trade up and pull the trigger on this guy.

Only thing is his football iq? 

Respectfully, have you been paying attention to this year's SR Bowl and combine? 

It's not being hilighted often, but are you aware if his shoulder and it's history?

I assume you've seen his completion %??

I mean jeesh... if we are going to start a discussion, let's at least try and get the facts on the tangables straight..

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm okay with Allen, but only if we take him at 21. If you're taking him you have to accept he's a major project and unlikely to ever put it all together, so it's not wise to use extra picks on him. We're lucky enough to have an extra 1st round pick so using a luxury pick on Allen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He would have to sit his entire rookie year, don't even think about starting him. So we would need a veteran plan. I wouldn't hate it as much as I used to think, but only if it's with our original pick.

You might as well say you're not okay with him because he will be long gone before 21.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Russell was also a junkie.

Give a read to what Mike Bobo had to say about Allen in playing against him. 

"I can’t say enough about (Allen), he makes them go,” Bobo said. “He is about impossible to tackle. He makes plays after plays with his legs and his arm…Countless times over the last two years, this guy has made plays to win ballgames. Truly, truly impressive kid.”

Possibly more than anything else, Allen’s arm strength presents the biggest challenge for opposing defenses. His ability to make strong, accurate throws on the run had Bobo awestruck. It’s not as if he just dumps the ball off in the flat, either. Allen routinely completes 40-yard strikes across his body, leaving defensive coordinators scratching their heads."

“His toughness impresses me. They lost some pieces around him, and a lot’s on this kid’s shoulders,” Bobo said. “And he keeps coming out every series with the moxie and the confidence that ‘I’m gonna put this team on my back offensively.’”

https://collegian.com/2017/10/mike-bobo-impressed-by-josh-allens-athleticism-not-focused-on-statistics/

Now consider this , against power 5 opp. the last 2 years 

Date Opponent Pass Completion Passing Yards Touchdowns Interceptions
Sept. 16 2017 Oregon 9-of-24 64 0 1
Sept. 2 2017 Iowa 23-of-40 174 0 2
Sept. 10 2016 Nebraska 16-of-32 189 1 5        

48 of 96   for 436 yds. 1 td and 8 int. in his only 3 games against power 5 competition. None of those teams were top teams those years.

Edited by Turk71
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't like that line of thinking.  If you're going to draft a quarterback in the 1st round and have the draft capital to trade up, make sure you get the guy you want.  If you feel he's still there at 21 then you stay put.  We wasted how many years hoping Losman would turn into our franchise QB? 

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Considering that Wentz had a completion percentage well over 60% for 2 years, if they said he was "abysmally inaccurate" well, people can say anything

People smitten by Allen-love say his WR dropped a lot of balls, but the published drop statistics say he actually suffered less drops than the other QB (6-7%)

vs Rosen (11%) or Jackson (12%)

I'm being totally irrational and going against logic, but my gut tells me that Allen is going to be a stud.

My gut is very unreliable though.

It called foles and Philly beating NE, it called the Seahawks dismantling the broncos a couple years back too.

My gut also told me that Charles Rogers and Mike Williams would be stud WRs for Detroit... 

So really my gut is a completely inaccurate source, but it tells me to be happy if we draft Allen, so I'm gonna go with it just so I can not live off antacids until the draft is over, and talk myself into being happy with Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, or even Jackson.

You know.

Just so I can relax.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Jackson deserves the same pass.

I think that Allen’s situation is on the extreme end of the spectrum with his supporting cast far below average, but I don’t discount Louisville’s supporting group either.

From what I can tell, Allen was running for his life behind an overmatched OL and had struggling WRs as well.  I can’t conclude for sure that Allen will be a top pro, but I also can’t hang his comp% solely on him.

I see celling Flacco floor out the league in 4

First we’ve got to understand that all the QB’s in the draft have issues. So basically it’s pick your poison and hope for the best.

I was reading the draft profiles for Rodgers and Brees yesterday, and both were underwhelming. Brees slipped to the 2nd, and Rodgers fell to the bottom of the 1st. Both will be first ballot HOF’ers.

Post combine, I still have Allen as my #2 QB behind Rosen. If you look at 2 things that he had at Wyoming that will be light years better in the NFL. Receivers, and coaching. He will get the level of coaching in the NFL that Wyoming couldn’t touch. I bet half of the coaches in the league have already looked at his mechanics and spotted something that will help his accuracy. That’s just what experienced NFL level coaching does.

2 hours ago, cale said:

I liked his arm at the Combine. It was like being at a circus and watching the lion tamer. Even the other QBs were impressed.

But if you're gonna hock the farm and move up 15-18 spots, you better be dang sure he's your franchise guy. Right now the guys who look the part for that are Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. They all have their faults. But to me Allen just doesn't seem to have "it." He just has a cannon. He's a one trick pony. A pretty cool trick. But one trick nevertheless. Not sold on him at all.

I dunno about "one trick" but I'm pretty much where you are otherwise...I'm not prepared to say he might not develop "it" but the key word is "develop", and you don't draft guys high who need to "develop", that's where you take guys who are, well, already developed.  If we had a QB and wanted to draft and develop him I'd be all in, but that doesn't seem to be where he's going.

I started out my project to look at all these QB thinking I would like Rosen the best, followed by Rudolph, Darnold, Mayfield much lower down and Jackson the least,

After watching a bunch of film (trying to find all-22 film clips) I like Rosen a bit less than I did - he's got the best arm but I'd like him to be able to sense pressure and move around a bit more to avoid it.  I still covet him, though the injury history concerns me esp. when combined with what I see as the lack of escapability.  Mayfield has moved way way up with me, to where I'd almost prefer him to Rosen.  Almost.  At least I'd be ecstatically happy if we drafted him.

Jackson has also moved way up with me.  His game is way way more sophisticated than most people think, and this past year he just had amazingly quiet feet in the pocket under pressure.   He has good mechanics sometimes, so I think his uneven accuracy is fixable.  I hate what he's being put through at the combine with the WR stuff, and he seems to be handling it with some grace and a bit of humor - "I thought I did a pretty good job at QB.  I thought I did!" (you had to listen to the voice inflections to appreciate it, it was funny).  He completely deflected any attempts to stir controversy with the "race" card.  Total fan of his interview.  He came across as comfortable in his own skin and with his decisions.

Rudolph has moved down with me - his game is actually more improvisational than I thought, I feel his processing speed is slow and he throws it away or bails out of the pocket and plays sandlot ball sooner than he could if he processed faster, and his OL and WR helped him out a lot.  He would be a nice pick in the 2nd round though.  Not in any way saying I'd turn my nose up.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

4 hours ago, LEBills said:

Don’t you know that he has a sub 60% completion percentage? He is going to be garbage bc of that according to people on this board who know nothing else about him but that.

Every time there’s a QB with inagibles but who really sucked in college always gets the “oh, it was his receivers.” Wtf happened to Jake Locker? The exact same excuses were used. Locker sucked. Allen’s gonna suck.

Good QBs make the receiver, not the other way around

He threw the ball nearly 70 yards!!  Wow!!  

But, how often does that come into play?  How often is anybody on this team wide open 70 yards downfield?  Can he hit the guys on the medium routes?  

I want Mayfield.  He's a leader.  An inspiring person.  He has confidence.  He won't accept losing.  

or sit there at 21 and take the best athlete.  the Louisville guy. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So, like, you really believe that Allen makes it past the Jets at #6??? C'mon...

Josh Allen as looks good with no opponents on the field. With no pressure his arm is exceptional. The problem is, when he faces the slightest bit of pressure he breaks.

5 hours ago, bills6969 said:

People said the exact same thing about Wentz

No they didn't. Wentz was accurate, Allen isn't