When restaurants get it wrong, what should happen?

sullim4

My wife has sent her steak back a few times for being too rare. I’m not sure if they cooked it more, or replaced it with a charcoal briquette. Tough call. THAT doesn’t make me want to return either.  

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

BTW I order my steak medium rare.  I will eat it rare, medium rare and medium.  I never send them back.  

My steak would have to be burned beyond recognition for me to send it back.  I worked in restaurants for most of my life, so I know better.  If you are dissatisfied with your meal or the service...just don’t go back to that restaurant.  I’ve see a lot of horrible things happen in the kitchen.

I’d be willing to wager that the OP’s steak was dropped on the floor and farted on by the grill cook before they sent it back out.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Add two tableside Caesars, two glasses of wine, and sides of tempura shiitake mushrooms and brussels. Oh and 10% sales tax, a 3% "living wage" surcharge, and tip.

What's the name of this place ..are we talking Seattle? Just name the place..

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Did you have $170 in beverages to get to $300?

Maybe it's Chef Jim's place..but he confused states?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Add two tableside Caesars, two glasses of wine, and sides of tempura shiitake mushrooms and brussels. Oh and 10% sales tax, a 3% "living wage" surcharge, and tip.

You got owned..period. Also..never buy a few glasses of wine..you buy the bottle.What was your wine selection..how much a glass?

If I'm dropping $300 for two it better be outstanding or I'm never coming back. A send back on two identical orders is hard to understand or excuse. Someone suggested OP should've switched steaks. A nice thought, I don't disagree, but at a minimum I would not have touched mine until the other one came back.  Either way, the $300 meal is compromised.

I put it on the restaurant to try to make things right. Sure the customer can complain and probably get free drinks/desserts/whatever. But as soon as that steak got sent back they should've gone into damage control. The customer should not have had to complain any more.  

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

BTW I order my steak medium rare.  I will eat it rare, medium rare and medium.  I never send them back.  

This was below rare.  White, uncooked fat clearly visible when we cut into the center.  It felt cold to the touch inside.  I'm with you, I'll eat rare without a problem.  This was basically steak sashimi.

The restaurant was John Howie Steak.

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

You got owned..period. Also..never buy a few glasses of wine..you buy the bottle.What was your wine selection..how much a glass?

Wine was about $15 each for an 8oz pour I think?  We have very different tastes in wine which makes ordering bottles problematic, and add that to the fact that this was a weeknight dinner and we weren't going to go the bottle route.  She likes lighter reds and I like the bolder ones.  She ordered an Oregon Pinot and I got a glass of malbec.

Edited by sullim4

On 2/28/2018 at 9:12 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

When I say “blast” them, I am always fair. I never just rip anyone on yelp just because I am mad. I will point out all the positives, as well as my complaints. If it’s a nice place, they will also often reply to my post or offer me a deal. If I go back and it is a better experience, I will do another updated review.

But why not simply have that conversation in person first instead of publicly online? 

22 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Send out a rambling incoherent tweet ?

As far as the OP ... I'd have given my wife my perfectly done steak and had mine cooked. If it was still raw would it really get rubbery after re-grilling it ?

Perhaps the chef can answer that question.

I was thinking the same thing.

I would have swapped steaks with my wife and probably just eaten the lesser cooked one as it was.

When ordering steak, even at a fine steakhouse, I never expect the chef's idea of medium rare to perfectly match my idea of medium rare.   I know it could go come out a little more rare or a  little less rare - there is an acceptable range.    Expecting his idea of medium rare and yours to match perfectly is not a good bet.

And when dining out with other people I have come to notice that their idea of what a medium or medium rare steak is and what my idea of a medium rare steak is are often times two different things.

It is the risk you take when ordering steak.   Fortunately for me, I am not that picky.    Ideally, I want it medium rare - as I am used to - but if it is a little over or a little under - I will eat it anyway.    And it is typically not enough to affect the flavor/texture that much.   Of course that is just my opinion - others may vary.   In his case maybe it was very rare.

Anyway - give your wife the good steak - send the other back and do so with a smile on your face so you don't ruin an expensive dinner.  If you are honestly that put off by it, you have to take the manager aside and politely explain how upset you are.    If you are that upset and don't tell the manager, then it is your fault for not at least trying to make yourself clearly understood.

Edited by PolishDave
grammar

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

But why not simply have that conversation in person first instead of publicly online? 

Because social media has turned people into wimps. Everyone hides behind their computer. And I included myself in that. 

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

When ordering steak, even at a find steakhouse, I never expect the chef's idea of medium rare to perfectly match my idea of medium rare.   I know it could go come out a little more rare or a  little less rare - there is an acceptable range.    Expecting his idea of medium rare and yours to match perfectly is not a good bet.

I'm my experience, chef's rarely overcook.  Unless I know better from experience, I always order medium and it usually comes closer to M-R.  Off the top of my head I can only think of once that it was over cooked, and it wasn't by too much.  I'm speaking of good steak houses btw, not Outback type.  Pretty much a coin toss at those places no matter what you order.

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

If I'm dropping $300 for two it better be outstanding or I'm never coming back. A send back on two identical orders is hard to understand or excuse. Someone suggested OP should've switched steaks. A nice thought, I don't disagree, but at a minimum I would not have touched mine until the other one came back.  Either way, the $300 meal is compromised.

I put it on the restaurant to try to make things right. Sure the customer can complain and probably get free drinks/desserts/whatever. But as soon as that steak got sent back they should've gone into damage control. The customer should not have had to complain any more.  

If I'm dropping $300 for two, I'm checking into MHU, because I'd never drop $300 for two and if I did, there's something very wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

I had a similar experience.

Went to McDonalds Drive Thru. I said to the telecom waitress "I'd like the two cheeseburger meal with a bottle of water and french fries fresh out of the fryer...I want them hot. And on my cheeseburgers, I want just ketchup and extra pickles." 

I got to the first window and gave my waitress the $6.24 and as I slowly crept to Window #2 I looked forward to a relaxing ride to a meeting with nice hot fries and the cheeseburgers done the way I liked.

I picked up my food and exchanged pleasantries with my telecom waiter (who had a few Big Macs in his day) and drove off. As I took a right hand turn onto the main highway, I reached in a grabbed a finger full of fries. Ice friggin cold!!! The kind of cold you feel when bending over outside and the air hits your crack. I spit them out the window. The grease had already begun to solidify on the limp fry in my hand.

I figured I could at least enjoy a burger. I unwrapped it as I drove and took a decent sized bite only to find it was full of onions and (blechhhh) mustard. Sure there were pickles (3) but the mustard and onion on a cheeseburger turned my stomach. I spit that crap out quicker than Boyst servicing Levi in the backseat of his '73 Buick Electra.

The second burger was the same, with even less pickles (2).

I was already four miles down the road and late for my appointment.

What should I have done?

PS - The bottle of water was cold.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I'm dropping $300 for two, I'm checking into MHU, because I'd never drop $300 for two and if I did, there's something very wrong.

Trust me..when you drop that kind of money the meal is not the best part of the night...if you get my drift...(big grins).

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Price for dinner is drastically affected by whether or not you drink and what you like to drink.

Who hasn't visited a tittybar and dropped more than $300 for lunch and a little entertainment?

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I recommend it.

But remember the rule - If it smells like fish make a dish.  If it smells like cologne leave it alone. :D

But I could spend the 300 for a awesome supper and then look at my brides boobies when we get home..and do much more than just look...

I went to outback steakhouse about 10 years ago (they have them in Buffalo right?) and got a full rack of ribs. They came out, I took about 2 bites and i was like Wtf? It was litterally like try to chew threw a car tire. Before I could even complain to the waiter, the restaurant manager came over to ask how they were, to which I explained my displeasure. They then made me another full rack, which was just as bad as the first. The manager again came over to ask how they were and I explained they were just as bad. He then offered anything I wanted on the menu at no charge and gave me a $20 gift certificate. That's how every restaurant should handle bad food they serve. 

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

But I could spend the 300 for a awesome supper and then look at my brides boobies when we get home..and do much more than just look...

Pic?

If you didn't like how the re-heated steak was, you should have sent it back and not paid for it.  Anyone can make a mistake (although when you're dropping $300, you wouldn't expect there to be one, but if this were your local Applebees...) and you gave them a chance to correct it and they didn't to your satisfaction.  You were fair and if they are fair they'd take the steak off the bill.  If they're a good place they'd comp you something to get you to come back.

Now typically I don't send things back because I worry what they might do to the food.  Thankfully I haven't had any meals that were super expensive (like this one) and bad.

On the flip side, sometimes HOW you make up for a mistake can make a better impression than getting it right in the first place. I found that to be the case once in a while. It sounds odd, but it can happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Who hasn't visited a tittybar and dropped more than $300 for lunch and a little entertainment?

Me either

But ya, I'm not spending that much on a dinner for two. Even if I'm getting head under the table.

Edited by Fan in San Diego
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Acantha said:

I'm my experience, chef's rarely overcook.  Unless I know better from experience, I always order medium and it usually comes closer to M-R.  Off the top of my head I can only think of once that it was over cooked, and it wasn't by too much.  I'm speaking of good steak houses btw, not Outback type.  Pretty much a coin toss at those places no matter what you order.

as anything over medium is taboo at a good steak joint, unless you are rich and insane, agreed.

a hockey puck is usually set aside for someone who requests well done...

hmmm... been about 6 months since a great steak and wine tab was picked up by a client   :(

On 2/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, sullim4 said:

I'm curious to get feedback on this, and to know if I'm being reasonable or not.

I took the wife out to dinner for her birthday at one of the nicer steakhouses out here - the kind of place where a $300 dinner for two is typical.  We both ordered filets with identical temperatures - medium rare.

When the steaks arrived, hers was significantly underdone in comparison to mine - mine was perfect while hers was blue rare.  We let the waiter know, and he sent it back to the kitchen and they reheated the steak.

Obviously, when you throw a rested steak back on the grill and re-serve, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as it would have been had they cooked it properly the first time.  Since it hadn't rested, it started losing moisture and the overall texture was rubbery, particularly in comparison to the steak on my plate.  It was nowhere near worth the $65 they charged.

Would you expect some kind of goodwill gesture on the bill or not?  We didn't get one.  I can't remember ever asking for compensation in a restaurant; I usually let the restaurant decide, and simply do not return if I feel like they haven't done the right thing.  I didn't say anything here and am not planning on returning.  But, I'm wondering if my expectations are too high here given the caliber of the restaurant and the particular situation.

If I'm paying $300 for two people for a meal, you better believe I'm going to complain if it's not up to my standards.  You're paying for the experience and the quality of the meal.  If it's not up to par then call them on it.  I'm usually not a complainer at most places because I'm not very picky.  I always order steaks mid rare because I don't mind over and or under cooked at that temp so I'm usually satisfied lol.

Even if they did not comp the steak, if you at least complained a second time I would expect a round of drinks or a free dessert.  Something that says that they acknowledge the mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I would have handled it the same way and wouldn’t have gotten anything either.

I sometimes find making a stink to be just irritating and I usually make the decision to just blast them on yelp and then not come back.

I agree.  I never blast them online though.

"But I know no matter what the waitress brings
I shall drink it and always be full, yeah I will drink it and always be full."

People get too crazy.  It's a meal, yeah, 65 bucks, but not too steep.  How many more times in life do things go better than expected.  Many.  Too many people want pefection, seem OCD with stuff like this.  Yet, have no standards when it comes to more important issues.  Instead, they draw a line w/gratuitous food they are stuffing down their gullet.

Now... I can see if it was really bad. Blue rare vs. medium rare, I can see if they were out of the ballpark.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, Wooderson said:

If I'm paying $300 for two people for a meal, you better believe I'm going to complain if it's not up to my standards.  You're paying for the experience and the quality of the meal.  If it's not up to par then call them on it.  I'm usually not a complainer at most places because I'm not very picky.  I always order steaks mid rare because I don't mind over and or under cooked at that temp so I'm usually satisfied lol.

Even if they did not comp the steak, if you at least complained a second time I would expect a round of drinks or a free dessert.  Something that says that they acknowledge the mistake. 

I agree... Why I liked the post.