Marcus Peters to Rams - '18 4th & 19 2nd round picks

Reed83HOF

Another thought on this one... The chiefs are offloading several big name leaders in the locker room (Johnson, Hali, Potentially Houston as some rumors have said) so they had to ask if they wanted Peters to be the future leader of that side of the ball. Not sure that was something they were willing to do. Also important to note that this is a very very deep CB draft and while finding someone at Peters level anywhere in the draft is hard to imagine, It isn't unbelievable that they can find a legitimate starter somewhere between rd 1-3 (which of course will depend on what they get in return.)

Edited by whatdrought

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone else wondering why the compensation hasn't been revealed yet? Is it normal for it to go that long without being made public? 

I was reading on the Chiefs site that it's being speculated at a 1st and 5th.  Also, after the Alex Smith trade the league office supposedly gave KC a warning about trades being leaked. Possible draft pick punishment if it happens again. 

It's mostly speculating on their part but that's what they say they are hearing.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314072&page=170

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If they're giving up that much for him, I'm sure that a huge new contract is also coming for Peters. 

Well, like I said they just are quoting what they "saw on twitter". No links posted from what I saw.

The rational of a first makes sense. We have the Rams 2 and if they were only giving up a 3 might as well keep Peters and let him play then likely get a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves. Who knows though, may be something completely different when compensation is announced.

As far as a new contract, I believe they will sign Peters to a new deal with language inserted to protect them against his behavior issues. 

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

It appears that the Rams are in a win now mode at the expense of the future.   They have made some questionable trades if this indeed is true.

They are going to have a ton of young players come due right around the same time, plus will have a new Donald contract on the books....It will be interesting to see if we finally have reached the point in the NFL where you will start to see some players getting moved in the final year of their contract for picks...

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

They are going to have a ton of young players come due right around the same time, plus will have a new Donald contract on the books....It will be interesting to see if we finally have reached the point in the NFL where you will start to see some players getting moved in the final year of their contract for picks...

Probably.  Top non-QB players are now getting contracts averaging about 8% of a team's salary cap. 

35 minutes ago, Magox said:

It appears that the Rams are in a win now mode at the expense of the future.   They have made some questionable trades if this indeed is true.

I dont blame them. Every team has a window of a few years where everything can come together and you have a legit shot to contend for the SB. This might be their window and theyre going for it. Better than going 7-9/8-8 every season for a decade. 

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That would be a lot for an elite corner who doesn't have some fairly serious attitude question marks... 

Thats only for the rest of his contract and the right to franchise him afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was a fake tweet. Disregard

At least you didnt make a "moral of the marcus peters trade thread"

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was a fake tweet. Disregard

Ah. No problem. 

I'm still really curious about why it hasn't been revealed yet... The idea that the league put the freeze on trade announcements before opening day makes a lot of sense as they are rabid about avoiding any team stealing their thunder.  

19 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I was reading on the Chiefs site that it's being speculated at a 1st and 5th.  Also, after the Alex Smith trade the league office supposedly gave KC a warning about trades being leaked. Possible draft pick punishment if it happens again. 

It's mostly speculating on their part but that's what they say they are hearing.

That would be ridiculous to punish the Chiefs for something they can't control.  I mean, if Chiefs publish it sure, but there are agents and friends of agents and players and friends of players and....way out of the Chiefs control.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would be ridiculous to punish the Chiefs for something they can't control.  I mean, if Chiefs publish it sure, but there are agents and friends of agents and players and friends of players and....way out of the Chiefs control.

True. But after it leaked they had an official comment on it and wished Smith well. The Peters trade they haven't said anything about at all after leaked. Think it had more to do with confirmation on the trade rather than actual leakage 

And anytime I can use the word leakage is a good day.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

If they're giving up that much for him, I'm sure that a huge new contract is also coming for Peters. 

Has the compensation from the Rams been revealed? I think the only thing that has come out so far has been that the Rams aren't giving up pick number 23. 

39 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Dont we own their 2nd rounder? Maybe they gave up a 2nd rounder next year. Interested to see what they gave up to get him

My bet is a 3rd this year and a 4th next year. 

23 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Lmao, a 1st? Man, they sound like Bills' fans valuing TT. 

31 minutes ago, Paulus said:

My bet is a 3rd this year and a 4th next year. 

Lmao, a 1st? Man, they sound like Bills' fans valuing TT. 

I can’t see them giving up a 1st. I mean they were basically bidding against themselves. And sounds like the Chiefs were determined to move him. Reminds me of the Dareus trade a bit.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t see them giving up a 1st. I mean they were basically bidding against themselves. And sounds like the Chiefs were determined to move him. Reminds me of the Dareus trade a bit.

Yeah, only way they gave up a first is if the Chiefs gave them Peters and a pick. Sounds like a 3rd and maybe a pick next year, too. 

On 2/23/2018 at 12:36 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Which is pretty damning since Andy Reid has happily coached a lot of knuckleheads in his career 

This is the most disappointing part of all this....Reid is supposed to be able to handle this kind of player and get the value out of him.

On 2/23/2018 at 12:41 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Chiefs are in rebuild mode with a RS rookie qb and will be moving on from guys like tamba hali, Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston 

The Chiefs are NOT in rebuild mode.  They are in fix the defense mode.  Offense is locked and loaded.  The players that have been let go, aside from Peters, were old very costly vets that played very little as it was, and didn't contribute to a bad defense.  Eric Berry back from injury, Amerson and Fuller added to bad secondary.....and Ragland expected to step up and be leader in the middle.

....I would not have thought they would make this trade.  From a purely football perspective, Peters will cost you from time to time with dumb fouls...but he is a turnover machine..teams don't throw his way much at all.  A true shutdown corner.  And on his cheap rookie deal.  3 million this year, 9 million next year....could franchise tag a third year at about 15 or so probalby...still a bargain for a CB of his caliber.  

Given the LOW interest generated for him, he must be an awful nightmare in the locker room...he has NOT been a problem in the community at all.  The Chiefs must be thinking this is "addition by subtraction" ....again from a football perspective, it makes no sense....gotta be a purely locker room/coaching issue driven move.  Compensation still not announced, but we are expecting to be underwhelmed and hugely dissappointed in the return.  In my opinion, you keep Peters and deal with him...he is worth more ON the team with his cheap contract, then not on with with the team getting a middling pick or 2. (BARF!)  

The last  bit about moving on from Houston seems interesting...no talk of it...but given that they have traded Peters...anything is possible I guess.  I'd venture to guess he stays as his contract is a nightmare to trade away and his dead money is too painful for the team to cut him.

A 2nd and a 4th isn't too bad I guess. I don't know how the Rams expect to pay everyone and they are going to have zero depth for a few years. It's an okay deal assuming Peters isn't still a head case in LA. Feels like a bad deal for both sides honestly.

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Lol what??? A 2nd next year is equivalent to a 3rd this year. So basically a 3rd and a 4th for one of the best corners in the NFL. That's a steal!!!!

Just now, HappyDays said:

A 2nd and a 4th isn't too bad I guess. I don't know how the Rams expect to pay everyone and they are going to have zero depth for a few years. It's an okay deal assuming Peters isn't still a head case in LA. Feels like a bad deal for both sides honestly.