Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

So, I’m in the market for a new TV. Atm I have an old Samsung 52”. Ive done a crapload of research and personally viewed every TV out right now that’s in my range and covering what I’m looking for. I’ve seen videos of and read multiple reviews on all of them. Comparisons to each other. Etc. 

So I’m wondering if there’s anyone here that’s went down this same road. What Information you found. What tv did you go with and why. Did you have any of these TVs and have you experienced any issues with them at all. 

I’m looking between the following TVs. 

Sony LED, 75” $2,799

• XBR75X900E

Sony LED, 75” $3,999

• XBR75X940E

Sony OLED, 65”  $3,499

• XBR65A1E

Samsung QLED, 75”  $2,310

• QN75Q7FAMFXZA

so the issues that I have is I already know that the Sony OLED is probably the best TV on the market right now in that size and price range. However I’m curious to hear your opinions of it vs the QLED and other Sony LEDs at a much cheaper cost. The LEDs could be had in 75” for the same price or less than the 65” OLED. And the QLED I happen to get an extremely sick deal on. Almost $1k off retail for the 75”. I’m just not sure it’s worth it and if it compares to the Sony LEDs, specifically the 900E for similar price. 

Ok. So what do you think? Have any of you had to make this decision, and what did you do? 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless you are going to be watching UHD source material, 95% of TVs look about the same. Don't overthink it. If anything, invest in a nice surround sound system.

That was my thought when i first saw this thread..did not know there was that much of a difference anymore. My main TV has to be close to 12 years now, still love it.Heck, sure i would still like the DLP I had before it if it did not die.

I may be in the market soon for a new TV and this thread is of interest to me. But I do not know enough currently about new TVs out there. I have a 55' Samsung and a 46" Sony, and I prefer the picture quality usually in Samsungs over Sony's. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless you are going to be watching UHD source material, 95% of TVs look about the same. Don't overthink it. If anything, invest in a nice surround sound system.

I watch a ton of TV. Movies/dvd/Blu-ray. and 4k if I had the tv to support it. I have directv and there is availability but that’s not the point. The fact is, the new technology that’s out now will soon be the tech of the future and even quicker become the tech of the past. They are already talking about 8k and HDMI 2.1. Even 4k now isn’t mainstream but why get something that is already not the best. With that said, I should get the OLED without question, but tv size and price do come into play here. 

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That was my thought when i first saw this thread..did not know there was that much of a difference anymore. My main TV has to be close to 12 years now, still love it.Heck, sure i would still like the DLP I had before it if it did not die.

There’s huge differences now actually. Just go to Best Buy and ask to see their Sony OLED display. It’s hands down better than every other set I’ve seen. 

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I may be in the market soon for a new TV and this thread is of interest to me. But I do not know enough currently about new TVs out there. I have a 55' Samsung and a 46" Sony, and I prefer the picture quality usually in Samsungs over Sony's. 

That’s why I’m doing all this. I know what’s the better in my eyes, but trying to get other opinions on other brands and if anyone has had any issues with their current TVs. 

Also advice as to what is worth it more for the money 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I watch a ton of TV. Movies/dvd/Blu-ray. and 4k if I had the tv to support it. I have directv and there is availability but that’s not the point. The fact is, the new technology that’s out now will soon be the tech of the future and even quicker become the tech of the past. They are already talking about 8k and HDMI 2.1. Even 4k now isn’t mainstream but why get something that is already not the best. With that said, I should get the OLED without question, but tv size and price do come into play here. 

There’s huge differences now actually. Just go to Best Buy and ask to see their Sony OLED display. It’s hands down better than every other set I’ve seen. 

Got to be amazing playing PS4 on a screen that big

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

prolly old advice, and not sure if relevant anymore, but think my main TV looks so good still cause I paid the $150 back then to have it professionally calibrated in the room where it still sits. Worth every penny

That’s a great idea. Until I started looking into all this I never thought to do that. It’s worth it to do the calibration I keep hearing 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Got to be amazing playing PS4 on a screen that big

That’s the plan 

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s a great idea. Until I started looking into all this I never thought to do that. It’s worth it to do the calibration I keep hearing 

That’s the plan 

The old PS4 doesnt support 4k but the new one does right?

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

The old PS4 doesnt support 4k but the new one does right?

I don’t believe it does. As it is I don’t own the pro anyway. To my knowledge, the pro has the ability to be upgraded but is not capable at this time. As far as I know the newest Xbox does have the ability. 

Ill be getting a new 4k player when I get a new tv anyway. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

My wife is a photographer and I am in IT.  We have been calibrating her production monitors for well over a decade.  I started calibrating our TV's with her meter a few years ago and the difference is not something that can be ignored.  The meter costs as much as a good used car and the process is anything but elementary, so finding out on a football board that you can hire it out---priceless.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s why I’m doing all this. I know what’s the better in my eyes, but trying to get other opinions on other brands and if anyone has had any issues with their current TVs. 

Also advice as to what is worth it more for the money 

But that's my point. It's amazing....IF you go to Best Buy and watch an ultra hi-def movie. But watching on a cable or DTV box isn't going to look like that.

So if JBoyst is going to invest in ultra hi-def sources, then sure, invest in the best tv you can find. If not, then just buy a decent set on sale for $400.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But that's my point. It's amazing....IF you go to Best Buy and watch an ultra hi-def movie. But watching on a cable or DTV box isn't going to look like that.

So if JBoyst is going to invest in ultra hi-def sources, then sure, invest in the best tv you can find. If not, then just buy a decent set on sale for $400.

I will be buying 4k movies and DTV will have much more 4k access within the year I’d imagine. 

But all tvs now are pretty much 4k. At least they can be had cheaply if you want like you said about Boyst. But there is HUGE differences in picture quality even still. The blacks in the OLED are unmatched however they don’t get as bright as LED or QLED. 

Edited by mrags

i remember replying to another thread about this, but this is the one i bought recently:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

it was for my home office, so the size was perfect.  it's not my main tv, but i watch movies and play video games in my office, so i wanted something that had 4k with hdr.  i did quite a bit of research, and this was the tv that came up as the best for video games and movies.  i looked into the oleds, but for not having it be our main tv, didn't think it was worth the price.  most reviews i read state the oleds are the best picture, but didn't seem to think they were worth the investment at this time.  even with the tv i listed, you need the xbox one x or the ps4 pro to really notice the upgrade.  this picture is great, movies look  great, and video games are out of this world.  you do have to calibrate the thing properly, but the consoles helped in the setting section.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i remember replying to another thread about this, but this is the one i bought recently:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

it was for my home office, so the size was perfect.  it's not my main tv, but i watch movies and play video games in my office, so i wanted something that had 4k with hdr.  i did quite a bit of research, and this was the tv that came up as the best for video games and movies.  i looked into the oleds, but for not having it be our main tv, didn't think it was worth the price.  most reviews i read state the oleds are the best picture, but didn't seem to think they were worth the investment at this time.  even with the tv i listed, you need the xbox one x or the ps4 pro to really notice the upgrade.  this picture is great, movies look  great, and video games are out of this world.  you do have to calibrate the thing properly, but the consoles helped in the setting section.  

That’s why I’m looking for. Thanks Teef. 

I agree on a a few things. The fact is the OLEDs are expensive but the LG is extremely well priced at $2700 for the 65”. I would say just do it but I am not interested in the LG. I just don’t like them and I believe the Sony has better color and better picture. So that brings me to the Sony and that one is $3400. Which is a lot but even the 800 Sony that you have in a 75” is $2200. So that leads me to my thoughts that this IS my main TV. I want it to do everything well including video games. So I would be splurging to get the TV but it might be worth it to spend the extra money to get pretty much the best TV out there right now. 

The only question is if it’s worth it to splurge and if it’s worth it to drop down in size. That I’m not sure yet. 

The Sony 940e is great but it’s actually more than the OLED unless I drop down to the same size in the 65” which makes it the 930e and drops it down to $2000. 

Some friends recently went through this and I learned the refresh rate is important to look at. I have a 55” LG that’s a few years old. Sometimes when watching football a long pass seems to kind of skip on the screen. Apparently my refresh rate is not so hot. It doesn’t happen on the 4k Samsung in another room, but that’s not where I watch football! 

On another note, we are considering putting the TV over the fireplace to increase seating in the room. I’m mostly concerned it will be too high to be comfortable and also a bit about heat from a gas FP. If I did this I’d replace the TV and add good sound, but I’m leaning against the high placement. Seating is only about 14 feet away, so the angle might be weird? Any experience with this? You see it a lot. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s why I’m looking for. Thanks Teef. 

I agree on a a few things. The fact is the OLEDs are expensive but the LG is extremely well priced at $2700 for the 65”. I would say just do it but I am not interested in the LG. I just don’t like them and I believe the Sony has better color and better picture. So that brings me to the Sony and that one is $3400. Which is a lot but even the 800 Sony that you have in a 75” is $2200. So that leads me to my thoughts that this IS my main TV. I want it to do everything well including video games. So I would be splurging to get the TV but it might be worth it to spend the extra money to get pretty much the best TV out there right now. 

The only question is if it’s worth it to splurge and if it’s worth it to drop down in size. That I’m not sure yet. 

The Sony 940e is great but it’s actually more than the OLED unless I drop down to the same size in the 65” which makes it the 930e and drops it down to $2000. 

you've done you're research, so i think it's just going to come down to preference, specifically financially.  if it's your main tv...why not?  typically i find that i buy something that's the "cheaper" model, i typically wish i had spent a bit more and gone for the better one.  how long you plan on keeping the tv may factor into this as well.  sony has done a great job with their most recent tvs.  i own mostly samsungs, but the sony is now the best in the house, (it's the only 4k one too).

as far as tvs go, it's a product that i almost never buy top of the line anymore.  i would, but months later i would see the same tv for hundreds off.  as long as the specs are there that you want, (4k, hdr, 60z-120z etc) i think you'll be happy.

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some friends recently went through this and I learned the refresh rate is important to look at. I have a 55” LG that’s a few years old. Sometimes when watching football a long pass seems to kind of skip on the screen. Apparently my refresh rate is not so hot. It doesn’t happen on the 4k Samsung in another room, but that’s not where I watch football! 

On another note, we are considering putting the TV over the fireplace to increase seating in the room. I’m mostly concerned it will be too high to be comfortable and also a bit about heat from a gas FP. If I did this I’d replace the TV and add good sound, but I’m leaning against the high placement. Seating is only about 14 feet away, so the angle might be weird? Any experience with this? You see it a lot. 

I think many now are elevating their TVs and it makes sense. For example, in my living room, almost my entire sectional couch declined to almost a flat position. It really draws your eyes up on the wall a little more than if it was in a stand. So I’m a fan of it and plan on elevating mine when the time comes 

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

ours is up high actually.  we have a tall fireplace mantle, so the tv is quite high from the ground.  it threw me off at first, but it's a long room, so the couch is set back.  i don't even think about it at this point, but expect it to feel off at first.  we also have a gas fireplace, and it's never been an issue.

18 minutes ago, teef said:

you've done you're research, so i think it's just going to come down to preference, specifically financially.  if it's your main tv...why not?  typically i find that i buy something that's the "cheaper" model, i typically wish i had spent a bit more and gone for the better one.  how long you plan on keeping the tv may factor into this as well.  sony has done a great job with their most recent tvs.  i own mostly samsungs, but the sony is now the best in the house, (it's the only 4k one too).

as far as tvs go, it's a product that i almost never buy top of the line anymore.  i would, but months later i would see the same tv for hundreds off.  as long as the specs are there that you want, (4k, hdr, 60z-120z etc) i think you'll be happy.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking about buying a mode and almost instantly wishing I bought the better one. Which is also why I want to splurge for the OLED. Only thing is, downgrading in size, and of course the price throws me off a little. It’s significantly more than the others for a smaller tv. 

I’m plan on keeping the TV for a long time. My current tv I’ve had for over 7 years and I bought it from a friend used so I’d say it’s almost 10 years old. 

I can always move whatever i ever I get to another room. In the future I plan on doing a theatre in the basement and getting a bigger, better oled or going with a projector anyway if that ever happens. 

One thing about the LED and QLED vs the OLEDs is that the OLEDs have far superior black levels however they don’t get as bright. Which makes sense to go with a LED or QLED in the living room where I have quite a bit of sunlight. Where as the perfect black levels of the OLED get lost a little bit in the reflections anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Mr. Ags, I wish you luck in your search for the perfect TV.  You deserve nothing but the best.  You should stay.  

Is that enough to get me another fatty this year?

I really want to mess with you but I won’t here. Sure. You can have a a few slices of fatty. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I bought a TV about 1.25 years ago.  After extensive research, and really leaning toward the "Big 2" in Sony and Samsung, I was alerted to Vizio:  https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m75e1.html.  It rated just as good or better than similar sized/featured Sony/Samsungs at like half the price.  So far I really like it.  I got a Sonos bar and its great too.  https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m65-e0/review/

These TV's are incredible!  5k blew me away.  That being said- new technology always supercedes new technology.  There will always be something better out- and there already is.  Technology first is in military, then years later it ends up in medical, then it trickles down to the consumer.  Years ago I went tv shopping with a brainiac engineer friend- and watched him hammer the salesperson with questions- then after exhaustive research- spending $1800  on a plasma TV.  That was not that long ago.  Now I see Plasma TV's for free on craigslist.  In short, I would never buy the latest greatest.  I would always wait for the price drop.  You watch what happens to that $2799 Sony LED 75" price.  Some new TV technology will hit market, and cycle continues

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mrags said:

So, I’m in the market for a new TV. Atm I have an old Samsung 52”. Ive done a crapload of research and personally viewed every TV out right now that’s in my range and covering what I’m looking for. I’ve seen videos of and read multiple reviews on all of them. Comparisons to each other. Etc. 

So I’m wondering if there’s anyone here that’s went down this same road. What Information you found. What tv did you go with and why. Did you have any of these TVs and have you experienced any issues with them at all. 

I’m looking between the following TVs. 

Sony LED, 75” $2,799

• XBR75X900E

Sony LED, 75” $3,999

• XBR75X940E

Sony OLED, 65”  $3,499

• XBR65A1E

Samsung QLED, 75”  $2,310

• QN75Q7FAMFXZA

so the issues that I have is I already know that the Sony OLED is probably the best TV on the market right now in that size and price range. However I’m curious to hear your opinions of it vs the QLED and other Sony LEDs at a much cheaper cost. The LEDs could be had in 75” for the same price or less than the 65” OLED. And the QLED I happen to get an extremely sick deal on. Almost $1k off retail for the 75”. I’m just not sure it’s worth it and if it compares to the Sony LEDs, specifically the 900E for similar price. 

Ok. So what do you think? Have any of you had to make this decision, and what did you do? 

I've actually been shopping for a 4K HDTV for a while too. I've done TONS of research and I've landed on the Sony A1E OLED. 

I've owned Sony TVs for a long time and nothing compares IMO. 

They have by by far the best motion processing. 

Thry are also #1 in 4K upscaling, which is very important right now since 4K broadcasts are almost nonexistent (outside of Netflix, amazon etc and even then their content is limited). If you get a TV with poor upscaling, your picture may not look any better than current 1080p TVs (and in some cases, worse).

If you are deadest on OLED, you may also want to check out LG. They are actually the ones who make all the OLED panels for Sony (or at least they were. Sony may have started making their own this year (2018) but im not sure on that). 

You can get an LG OLED for a very reasonable price ($2000 for a 65"). The nice thing about LG tv's is that all their models have the same picture quality. The main thing that changes as you move up in models is the sound. But even their cheapest OLED (b7) has the same picture quality as their more expensive models. 

If you decide to go with an LED, again I'd go Sony. But instead of getting the 900E, I would step up to the 930E (unless you wait for the 2018 model). It has their top of the line X1 extremes motion processing chip, which is quite a step up from the x1 the 900e uses. 

It may actually be worth waiting for the 2018 LED models to come out if you want an LED. Sony is doing away with the 930 for 2018 and putting the x1 extreme chip into the 900 model.

But they are also going to a full array backlight + local dimming on the new 900, with more local dimming zones. Where as the 930 currently has edge lighting. 

Sony is also coming out with a new OLED for 2018. Its called the Sony A8F. It will have the same picture quality as the A1E but it will have a diffrrrnt style and stand, making it cheaper than the A1E. 

Now, if you really want the top of the line LED, check out Sony's Z9D LED. It is their flagship model and the picture quality is right in line with OLED, but much brighter. 

Alao - keep your eye open for sales coming up on 2017 model TVs as the 2018 models are set to be released. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t believe it does. As it is I don’t own the pro anyway. To my knowledge, the pro has the ability to be upgraded but is not capable at this time. As far as I know the newest Xbox does have the ability. 

Ill be getting a new 4k player when I get a new tv anyway. 

The PS4 Pro and Xbox one S both have the ability to play games in 4K HD (upscaled) and HDR.

But the Xbox One X is the only one that can currently play games in native 4K. 

Edited by BillsFan4

5 hours ago, teef said:

ours is up high actually.  we have a tall fireplace mantle, so the tv is quite high from the ground.  it threw me off at first, but it's a long room, so the couch is set back.  i don't even think about it at this point, but expect it to feel off at first.  we also have a gas fireplace, and it's never been an issue.

About how far away if the seating? How high is the bottom of the TV? I think that is critical in determining a comfortable viewing angle.  I’d like to upgrade the TV (though it’s really fine) and LOVE to go with great sound. LG is not known for their sound, I’m told. 

I’m actually getting rid of the reclining sofa. My wife thinks it looks like it’s been rode hard in a frat house, and I can’t disagree. For the additional seating we would go to a couple of leather sofas (plus some swivel chairs), and the reclining ones we saw looked....not the way we want. It would be fine in a man cave, but we downsized and this is in the main living area. Still shopping for something that would work on all levels. (I’m also good with upsizing again, but she balks at the cost. :(

I plan to have a home theater company come take a look. What do you think the odds are that they will say “no, we think you should leave it the way it is. We don’t want your money anyway”? 

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Good luck on getting the best TV.  Love the one we have Samsung 55”. Daughter and Son Inlaw gave it to us for Christmas.  Picture is awesome. 

Merry Christmas!!!

We inherited a practically new Vizeo from the M-I-L and brought it home before realizing it didn’t work. Oops! We had it fixed and the repair guy tells me Samsung is best, and LG is good too. No mention of SONY, maybe he NEVER sees one? My first HDTV was a SONY and it was a lemon. That was a long time ago and I won’t hold a grudge. I always thought of them as a premier brand. 

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Good luck on getting the best TV.  Love the one we have Samsung 55”. Daughter and Son Inlaw gave it to us for Christmas.  Picture is awesome. 

We have 4 Samsungs. A couple times I strayed to different brands and I was not happy. The 65" 4K is great. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I've actually been shopping for a 4K HDTV for a while too. I've done TONS of research and I've landed on the Sony A1E OLED. 

I've owned Sony TVs for a long time and nothing compares IMO. 

They have by by far the best motion processing. 

Thry are also #1 in 4K upscaling, which is very important right now since 4K broadcasts are almost nonexistent (outside of Netflix, amazon etc and even then their content is limited). If you get a TV with poor upscaling, your picture may not look any better than current 1080p TVs (and in some cases, worse).

If you are deadest on OLED, you may also want to check out LG. They are actually the ones who make all the OLED panels for Sony (or at least they were. Sony may have started making their own this year (2018) but im not sure on that). 

You can get an LG OLED for a very reasonable price ($2000 for a 65"). The nice thing about LG tv's is that all their models have the same picture quality. The main thing that changes as you move up in models is the sound. But even their cheapest OLED (b7) has the same picture quality as their more expensive models. 

If you decide to go with an LED, again I'd go Sony. But instead of getting the 900E, I would step up to the 930E (unless you wait for the 2018 model). It has their top of the line X1 extremes motion processing chip, which is quite a step up from the x1 the 900e uses. 

It may actually be worth waiting for the 2018 LED models to come out if you want an LED. Sony is doing away with the 930 for 2018 and putting the x1 extreme chip into the 900 model.

But they are also going to a full array backlight + local dimming on the new 900, with more local dimming zones. Where as the 930 currently has edge lighting. 

Sony is also coming out with a new OLED for 2018. Its called the Sony A8F. It will have the same picture quality as the A1E but it will have a diffrrrnt style and stand, making it cheaper than the A1E. 

Now, if you really want the top of the line LED, check out Sony's Z9D LED. It is their flagship model and the picture quality is right in line with OLED, but much brighter. 

Alao - keep your eye open for sales coming up on 2017 model TVs as the 2018 models are set to be released. 

The PS4 Pro and Xbox one S both have the ability to play games in 4K HD (upscaled) and HDR.

But the Xbox One X is the only one that can currently play games in native 4K. 

Thanks. So a few things. I’ve seen the LG and the Sony side by side and I can’t guarantee it was fair as who knows what they do to the settings,  but it wasn’t even comparable imo. So if I went with OLED it would be Sony all the way. I know they use LG panels but I think it’s the processing that makes them better. Plus the Sony is just sexy as hell. 

Im aware of the new models coming out for Sony and I’m worried about not taking advantage of a sale on a 2017 model before they are all gone. However I’d love to see the price points on the new models. I personally like the A8 more because of the 5* slant on the A1. As far as I know they are exactly the same however the A8 won’t have the 4” sub in the stand. So one would think it’s cheaper, but because it’s a new product and there were tons of people upset about the slant, I worry it’ll be the same price or even more expensive. 

The Z9D is incredible and although it’s not quite as crisp as the A1, it is definitely something I would bite the bullet on. However, for the price for the 65” being $3999 I don’t think I could justify spending that but not go with the OLED for $500 less. 

Looking at it, I like the fact that the new 900F will have the extreme1 processor and will basically be the new 940E/930E. However they are the same price again in the 75” ($3999) as the 65” Z9D and $500 more than the 65” OLED. 

Now... if I could get a 75” 940E for around $3k it would be a no brainer. 

And that’s what brings me to the QLED. I understand it’s not as good as any of these TVs listed above. However I can get a 75” for $2310 and that is calling to me as a way to get one of the top 5 (or so) sets out there for almost half as much as the Sony. 

As as far as LED vs OLED vs QLED... I like the fact that I won’t have any burn in or image retention in the QLED or LED. And although I’m sure there probably won’t be any issues in my tvs life with it if I got an OLED, it scares me to spend $4k on a TV that could be ruined because I played Madden or Call of Duty on it too long in a single day. 

I laugh at the 4K and beyond sets, as the world has still not fully graduated to HD yet! 

I have NHL center ice to watch the Sabres; the games are only available in low definition, which, on a 46" LED flat screen is like watching an old VHS recording that has been over-recorded 100 times.  The picture quality almost makes it impossible to watch the games.  

Most of my TV channels (I have about 10 million) (Comcast cable) are still regular def and not HD too.

When is everything going to be HD?

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I laugh at the 4K and beyond sets, as the world has still not fully graduated to HD yet! 

I have NHL center ice to watch the Sabres; the games are only available in low definition, which, on a 46" LED flat screen is like watching an old VHS recording that has been over-recorded 100 times.  The picture quality almost makes it impossible to watch the games.  

Most of my TV channels (I have about 10 million) (Comcast cable) are still regular def and not HD too.

When is everything going to be HD?

More and more everyday. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Thanks. So a few things. I’ve seen the LG and the Sony side by side and I can’t guarantee it was fair as who knows what they do to the settings,  but it wasn’t even comparable imo. So if I went with OLED it would be Sony all the way. I know they use LG panels but I think it’s the processing that makes them better. Plus the Sony is just sexy as hell. 

Im aware of the new models coming out for Sony and I’m worried about not taking advantage of a sale on a 2017 model before they are all gone. However I’d love to see the price points on the new models. I personally like the A8 more because of the 5* slant on the A1. As far as I know they are exactly the same however the A8 won’t have the 4” sub in the stand. So one would think it’s cheaper, but because it’s a new product and there were tons of people upset about the slant, I worry it’ll be the same price or even more expensive. 

The Z9D is incredible and although it’s not quite as crisp as the A1, it is definitely something I would bite the bullet on. However, for the price for the 65” being $3999 I don’t think I could justify spending that but not go with the OLED for $500 less. 

Looking at it, I like the fact that the new 900F will have the extreme1 processor and will basically be the new 940E/930E. However they are the same price again in the 75” ($3999) as the 65” Z9D and $500 more than the 65” OLED. 

Now... if I could get a 75” 940E for around $3k it would be a no brainer. 

And that’s what brings me to the QLED. I understand it’s not as good as any of these TVs listed above. However I can get a 75” for $2310 and that is calling to me as a way to get one of the top 5 (or so) sets out there for almost half as much as the Sony. 

As as far as LED vs OLED vs QLED... I like the fact that I won’t have any burn in or image retention in the QLED or LED. And although I’m sure there probably won’t be any issues in my tvs life with it if I got an OLED, it scares me to spend $4k on a TV that could be ruined because I played Madden or Call of Duty on it too long in a single day. 

Sounds like you've done just as much research as me! lol

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the 2018 model TVs. I passed over some really good sales on the 2017 TVs because I expected the 2018 models to have HDMI 2.1. But none of them do. 

I am into gaming and will use my new TV for gaming quite frequently, so that is a priority for me, and HDMI 2.1 would have been a nice feature even if I didn't use it till down the road. But oh well.

I am curious to see the new 900f which has a full array backlight compared to the edge lighting on the 930e. 

I thought it was strange that the 2017 x900e (a lower model) used a full array backlight, but the x930e, a step up, used edge lighting. Usually a full array is an upgrade on edge lighting and found on higher end TVs. Yet Sony's had the edge lighting. But I read somewhere that Sony felt the picture quality was better with the edge lighting on the 930 than when they tried direct lighting/full array. I mean, there had to be some reason why they didn't use the full array that they use on the 900.

I compared the x900e to the x930e, the picture quality on the 930 was definitely better (although both don't use the same chip either). So that makes me wonder if the new 900f will be an improvement on the 930e's picture quality, or if it's designed to be more of a middle of the road between the 900 and 930 series tv's. If that's the case then I'd be more interested in maybe grabbing the 930 now... 

Do you know if the new 900f is considered an upgrade to the 930e? 

I am am still torn between the LED and OLED myself. Obviously the OLED picture quality is unmatched. But I also worry about the burn in, and the brightness levels. As well as how reliable they are. The A1E was Sony's first OLED tv. I'm always a little reluctant about brand new models. I'm not too worried though, since the same manufacturer makes all the OLDD panels for the industry right now. I don't really see what problems it would have. 

I will be using the TV for gaming a lot. And watching sports. Plus with many new games having HDR capability, I just worry about the brightness levels of OLED, as well as the burn in and individual pixels dying out (like on plasma). But the picture just looks sooo amazing! It's hard to pass up. 

It it seems like both LED and OLED would be good for gaming, but maybe the LED being the safer choice? 

I've read numerous reviews listing that Sony x930 as a good choice for gaming. 

LG OLED's seem to get very good marks for gaming, too.

As far as LG - I wouldn't go as far as to say it was even comparable. I felt they were definitely comparable. I just thought Sony's picture look a bit more defined and crisp, and the motion chip is definitely superior, as is 4K upscaling from what I've read. 

But the LG was very enticing for the price. I could pay almost $1000 less for an LG OLED. Plus LG has been making OLED for a while now. They led the way in that regard. 

I could get their 55" B7 OLED for the same price as Sony's x930 LED. That's enticing. 

I am always seeing them listed as the best performing TVs in review, too. Even above Sony's in numerous reviews. On what I would consider respectable sites too. Especially in the measurable performance metrics. Actually, I don't think I've ever read a bad review on an LG OLED... I keep thinking there must be something to it, but I am just so much more comfortable with Sony. 

The only one I haven't looked into as much is Samsung. I've seen them in stores and they are nice but I've never been as impressed compared to Sony's LED's and LG's OLED. Maybe I should give them another look... I do like that they have HDR 10 plus, which Sony TVs do not have. And that microLED technology looks promising, but I don't think it'll be available until later in 2018 at the earliest. 

Have you looked into the Panasonic TVs at all? They have an OLED line and a new LED line. They don't seem to widely available though. 

What interests me about them is that they are the TVs used by Hollywood post production facilities to color grade and fix films. So that means they are basically the standard for color accuracy. Their new flagship LED runs at 2200Hz, too. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sounds like you've done just as much research as me! lol

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the 2018 model TVs. I passed over some really good sales on the 2017 TVs because I expected the 2018 models to have HDMI 2.1. But none of them do. 

I am into gaming and will use my new TV for gaming quite frequently, so that is a priority for me, and HDMI 2.1 would have been a nice feature even if I didn't use it till down the road. But oh well.

I am curious to see the new 900f which has a full array backlight compared to the edge lighting on the 930e. 

I thought it was strange that the 2017 x900e (a lower model) used a full array backlight, but the x930e, a step up, used edge lighting. Usually a full array is an upgrade on edge lighting and found on higher end TVs. Yet Sony's had the edge lighting. But I read somewhere that Sony felt the picture quality was better with the edge lighting on the 930 than when they tried direct lighting/full array. I mean, there had to be some reason why they didn't use the full array that they use on the 900.

I compared the x900e to the x930e, the picture quality on the 930 was definitely better (although both don't use the same chip either). So that makes me wonder if the new 900f will be an improvement on the 930e's picture quality, or if it's designed to be more of a middle of the road between the 900 and 930 series tv's. If that's the case then I'd be more interested in maybe grabbing the 930 now... 

Do you know if the new 900f is considered an upgrade to the 930e? 

I am am still torn between the LED and OLED myself. Obviously the OLED picture quality is unmatched. But I also worry about the burn in, and the brightness levels. As well as how reliable they are. The A1E was Sony's first OLED tv. I'm always a little reluctant about brand new models. I'm not too worried though, since the same manufacturer makes all the OLDD panels for the industry right now. I don't really see what problems it would have. 

I will be using the TV for gaming a lot. And watching sports. Plus with many new games having HDR capability, I just worry about the brightness levels of OLED, as well as the burn in and individual pixels dying out (like on plasma). But the picture just looks sooo amazing! It's hard to pass up. 

It it seems like both LED and OLED would be good for gaming, but maybe the LED being the safer choice? 

I've read numerous reviews listing that Sony x930 as a good choice for gaming. 

LG OLED's seem to get very good marks for gaming, too.

As far as LG - I wouldn't go as far as to say it was even comparable. I felt they were definitely comparable. I just thought Sony's picture look a bit more defined and crisp, and the motion chip is definitely superior, as is 4K upscaling from what I've read. 

But the LG was very enticing for the price. I could pay almost $1000 less for an LG OLED. Plus LG has been making OLED for a while now. They led the way in that regard. 

I could get their 55" B7 OLED for the same price as Sony's x930 LED. That's enticing. 

I am always seeing them listed as the best performing TVs in review, too. Even above Sony's in numerous reviews. On what I would consider respectable sites too. Especially in the measurable performance metrics. Actually, I don't think I've ever read a bad review on an LG OLED... I keep thinking there must be something to it, but I am just so much more comfortable with Sony. 

The only one I haven't looked into as much is Samsung. I've seen them in stores and they are nice but I've never been as impressed compared to Sony's LED's and LG's OLED. Maybe I should give them another look... I do like that they have HDR 10 plus, which Sony TVs do not have. And that microLED technology looks promising, but I don't think it'll be available until later in 2018 at the earliest. 

Have you looked into the Panasonic TVs at all? They have an OLED line and a new LED line. They don't seem to widely available though. 

What interests me about them is that they are the TVs used by Hollywood post production facilities to color grade and fix films. So that means they are basically the standard for color accuracy. Their new flagship LED runs at 2200Hz, too. 

I think Sony is basically phasing out the 900e tech with the introduction to the 900f. It is basically a 930e/940e. At the price point of $3999 for a 75”. 

Yeah, I heard previously to not expect HDMI 2.1 until the end of 2018 at the very earliest. One thing that’s an advantage to Samsung btw and I’ll get into it in a min. 

I haven’t been looking into the 930e much because if I’m going with the 900series Sony’s then I expect to go with the 940e 75” which is already backlit vs edgelit. But I also want to see the comparison. I also want to see if the price drops at all on the 940e. Because if I could get for $3k it’s a done deal. 

Like I said, I believe the 930e is being replaced altogether. The 900f comes in all sizes. It’s really the 900, 930, and 940 all in one tv just depending on what size you are looking for. They aeem to be pushing that set, the Z9D, and the OLED. 

Everything ive read says there is no worry of burn in or permanent image retention on OLEDs unless you are playing something on a loop like in the stores, or leave something on the screen for days without changing it. But that’s what I’ve read. I’ve also read and watched reviews of people complaining after just a short period of time of image retention and burn in both. I’ve got pics from the LG in the store and it makes me ill just thinking about it in a $3k television. With that said, I didn’t see any burn in on the Sony at all. My big worry is playing video games on it. And while any game will change screens often, I can’t get over the bright white score ticker at the top and bottom of the screen on Madden, or the mini map in all bright white in COD. Even thought that wouldn’t be up non stop, I just feel that over time, in the same exact place, you lose the battle. 

Every review I’ve read on the LG is that it is the “Best TV ever tested” end of story. But I’ve seen it right next to the Sony and it wasn’t even close imo. Like I said tho, the sony could have been calibrated vs out of the box LG. Who knows. 

On to the QLED Samsung... they have by far the best colors of any tv on the market right now. But not the brightest and not the darkest. In fact the Sony 900 is supposed to have  comparable or better brightness and blacks. But the colors on the QLED is by far better and the screen on the Samsung is much better for glare. So the lack of brightness and black levels are made up with that if you are putting it in a fairly well lit room. My room is incredibly bright, especially in the summertime once the sun hits that side of the house. 

The other thing you may like on the Samsung is their connect box. It is a box with all the inputs that run to the box and there’s an almost invisable fiber optic cable connecting the 2. Which makes it awesome when hiding wires, and in your case, availability to upgrade the One Connect Box instead of buying a whole new TV when HDMI 2.1 comes out (at least that’s what I’ve read). 

I javent even even thought about Panasonic to be honest. It’s something I’ll look into now I guess. Thanks for making my decision harder. Lol. But regardless, I don’t think the Hz levels are legit. There’s been more than one place I’ve been too or read reviews that it doesn’t matter anyway and everything is essentially maxed at  60 or 120hz anyway. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

Regardless, I’ll look into it to do my homework and try and find out. But no where have I even heard of anyone touting the Panasonic as even being close to the Sony’s, or even Samsung’s. 

I keep going back to a few things. I want the Sony OLED more than any other set. But is it worth it for the price over the 900 or 940 E models. What should I expect with the 900f? Will the price on the A8 be below the A1? Because of it is by $500 then it’s a no brainer for 3k even considering the smaller screen size. Is the savings of $1k worth it to go with the QLED bs any of the others? I keep going back to having an incredible QLED for only $2300 when it’s normally a $3300 set. It’s better for my living room with its colors and glare resistance, no burn in issues, upgradability, and size. In the future when I build my theatre in my basement, when I can have complete darkness, and hopefully when the prices come down a little, the OLED is the way to go. 

Or or maybe I’ll jist bring my wife to Best Buy and have her pick between the Sony’s, and the Samsung. 

19 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I still rock a 22 yr old Toshiba 41" tube.  Can't help too much.  I have turned it on 4 times this year

30 year old, 20" monitor here.  My mother won it in 1988.  Armoire, remember those, that's where it is hidden.  You wouldn't think we own a TV.  That's what we watch to this day.  My mother passed away in 1999.  Her TV lives on. Digital to analog cable converter keeps it on life support.

17 hours ago, teef said:

I've been looking at TV's lately too and all of these are way out of my price range. I also like to hold out until the technology I feel is really sorted out, which has it positives and negatives. I've learned from it in my opinion, especially at this point, it's better to be a little bit behind than ahead. I've had the PS2 and the HDTV as a teenager, back when their was like 6 games to play as a PS2 and I only wanted 2. And the 2 just had terrible bugs, or I bought the HDTV before everyone was broadcasting in HD before it was worth it. It's almost better to be late I've learned.

To the OP, Most channels don't broadcast in 4k I believe. The refresh rates are not fast enough, and in most of the TV's, even though the one's you are researching are beyond my price point, they don't really give you the full quality of 4k. I think if you can hold off a year or two, and buy a new TV then you'll get better value. Especially if your next move is 4k, which is mine. I could be completely wrong, I'm pretty tech savvy but no expert. I've talked to a couple people who know more than me, and as recent as 6 months they agreed with me. Even though they have both bought 4k TV's since then....