Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Lol. Don’t get confused. I hate having to do all this research. I wish it was just clear that one option is better than the other but that’s not always the case. 

Yeah, Stereo Advantage has all of them on the floor to see. So does Best Buy (heading there now actually to just get another look at everything). 

You said the 930 was backlit in that last bit. Then said the 900f was full array. Did you mean edgelit? To my knowledge, they are the same but different names. The edgelit is what you don’t want. The color and brightness will not be as good. But I’ll look at them when I head to Best Buy in a little bit. The difference was the “local dimming” to my knowledge that was different in the 930 and 940 vs the 900. Now the new models will all have the same tech. The o my difference in the models above 900 will be difference is size. But I’ll see why they say at B.B.  

yeah, the new Samsung tech is probably going to be the best out there when it becomes reality. Right now it’s only a thought and the technology doesn’t actually exist. 

For the size and money I really can’t beat the tv. The only issue is I won’t have any extended warranty or anything on it. So the manufacturer will by my only lifeline. Scares me a little bit but not nearly as much as the burn in issues. 

No. Last year's 900 was a full array backlight, and the higher 930 model was edge lit. Both had local dimming. 

Like i say, that's what's throwing me off. I've always considered the full array to be the better lighting, but Sony swore up and down last year that the edge light they used on the 930 was better than the full array on the 900. They even said they tried the full array on the 930 and found the slim edge light produced a better picture. 

Also, the 930 was brighter than the 900 in 2017 even though the 930 had the edge light. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No. Last year's 900 was a full array backlight, and the higher 930 model was edge lit. Both had local dimming. 

Like i say, that's what's throwing me off. I've always considered the full array to be the better lighting, but Sony swore up and down last year that the edge light they used on the 930 was better than the full array on the 900. They even said they tried the full array on the 930 and found the slim edge light produced a better picture. 

Also, the 930 was brighter than the 900 in 2017 even though the 930 had the edge light. 

I’d say if you are sold on the 900 or 930 just pick whatever one is cheaper and go with it. I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll tale a picture of them side by side at B.B. and send it to you. Pm me your phone number or email and I’ll send it over. The file will most likely be too large to show here. 

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’d say if you are sold on the 900 or 930 just pick whatever one is cheaper and go with it. I’ll tell you what I’ll do. I’ll tale a picture of them side by side at B.B. and send it to you. Pm me your phone number or email and I’ll send it over. The file will most likely be too large to show here. 

Do they have the new 900f model on display already?

thats what I'd really like to see is the new 900f on display right next to last year's 930e.

i don't actually have any interest in last year's 900e, just to be clear. I think I have it down to either the 930e from last year or the new 900f (which I haven't even seen yet...). 

With them doing away with the 930 completely though, I just don't want to miss out on it if it really does look better than the new 900f. But I also don't want to buy the 930 without seeing the new 900f either. lol. 

I just want to make sure I end up with the better of the 2 models. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Edited by BillsFan4

On 2/22/2018 at 10:18 AM, plenzmd1 said:

prolly old advice, and not sure if relevant anymore, but think my main TV looks so good still cause I paid the $150 back then to have it professionally calibrated in the room where it still sits. Worth every penny

There's an app for that.

I bought the Sony Flagship Z9D last March and love it...

I do however, wish that I bought the 75" instead of the 65". Once you get used to one size, you eventually want bigger...

On 2/22/2018 at 7:33 AM, mrags said:

I don’t believe it does. As it is I don’t own the pro anyway. To my knowledge, the pro has the ability to be upgraded but is not capable at this time. As far as I know the newest Xbox does have the ability. 

Ill be getting a new 4k player when I get a new tv anyway. 

I got one helluva deal on my Sony and had an Oppo tossed in free...

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Here man - I just found this article. You were right. The A8F is indeed more expensive than the A1E. Instead of removing the subwoofer, Sony put 2 smaller subwoofers in it. Maybe that's why? 

The 55" is $2999 and the 65" is $3999. $12,999 for the 70"! Wow! 

The A1E will actually be the cheaper model, at $2799 for the 55" and $3499 for a 65". 

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1518172637

sounds like that qled is your best bet for the price. Then just revisit the oled's later down the line when the technology has improved.

Or just wait for Samsung's Micro LED technology that will be coming out. Maybe it'll be an improvement over OLED? 

Also, on the x900e from last year (I know you are not getting a Sony LED, but I think I am, so I was just looking for your help/opinion again) - 

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900e-series/specifications

Here are the specs on the 2017 model x900e. It definitely had the directLED (full array) backlight. But all the models lower than this one had the edge lit LED (not the local dimming slim backlight edge LED the 930 had though). 

Its just throwing me off that they used that slim backlight on the 930, and used the full array on the lower 900 model, yet called the slim edgelight on the 930 an upgrade over the full array on the 900. I am probably just overthinking it. 

Did you you say that stereo advantage has the 930 on display? They usually know their stuff pretty well there. I am going to try and rid there this week I think. 

As far as what gaming system I have, I actually have a PS4 and an Xbox One S. 

The Xbox will p,ah games in 4K with HDR. Don't think the PS4 will unless I upgrade to the Pro model (which I may do if I get a 4K tv). 

I play all all sorts of different games. I subscribe to Game Fly (2 game out at a time) so I'm always trying new games. I actually just seen that Game Stop has a new rental program too. $60 for 6 months ($10 a month). 1 game out at a time, but you get to pick 1 game to keep at the end of the 6 months. 

Ive enjoyed chatting with you on all of this tv stuff. I don't get to talk to too many people who enjoy researching all of this stuff like I do. 

PS4 Pro makes a huge difference btw, even the up-scaling on non-HDR games look great. Horizon Zero Dawn and even Destiny 2 look astounding...

Also, these guys are great to deal with (who I bought my Z9 from last March & got a free Oppo 203 included)

https://www.valueelectronics.com

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I bought the Sony Flagship Z9D last March and love it...

I do however, wish that I bought the 75" instead of the 65". Once you get used to one size, you eventually want bigger...

I got one helluva deal on my Sony and had an Oppo tossed in free...

PS4 Pro makes a huge difference btw, even the up-scaling on non-HDR games look great. Horizon Zero Dawn and even Destiny 2 look astounding...

Also, these guys are great to deal with (who I bought my Z9 from last March & got a free Oppo 203 included)

https://www.valueelectronics.com

Thanks. I absolutely LOVE the Z9 but there’s no way I can pull the trigger on a 65” for $3500. I feel like if I’m doing that I need to go with the OLED. Or spend the little extra and get the 940e in 75”

18 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thanks. I absolutely LOVE the Z9 but there’s no way I can pull the trigger on a 65” for $3500. I feel like if I’m doing that I need to go with the OLED. Or spend the little extra and get the 940e in 75”

Oddly enough that is what I paid for it last year with the Oppo :lol:.

I have enough 3D movies and it was the last 3D set they were making so it pushed me in that direction as opposed to waiting for the A1E. Also with the Z9D, the software upgrades that are out the 2017/2018 sets are being pushed through in updates since it has the X1Extreme processor. At that point, yeah I ended up spending more than I wanted, but it was worth it. I figured it will be relevant enough for a few more years.... 

The 75" 940e was a set I was strongly looking as well, but the Z9 was that much better in my opinion. With Sony, as I'm sure you are aware, there is the Sony premium that you pay. The Samsung TVs just don't do it for me. I have one in the bedroom and it is good, but their customer service sucks. I had to have the screen and a chip replaced 10 months into its 12 month warranty...

I assume you checked out AVSForum & Rtings as well?

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oddly enough that is what I paid for it last year with the Oppo :lol:.

I have enough 3D movies and it was the last 3D set they were making so it pushed me in that direction as opposed to waiting for the A1E. Also with the Z9D, the software upgrades that are out the 2017/2018 sets are being pushed through in updates since it has the X1Extreme processor. At that point, yeah I ended up spending more than I wanted, but it was worth it. I figured it will be relevant enough for a few more years.... 

The 75" 940e was a set I was strongly looking as well, but the Z9 was that much better in my opinion. With Sony, as I'm sure you are aware, there is the Sony premium that you pay. The Samsung TVs just don't do it for me. I have one in the bedroom and it is good, but their customer service sucks. I had to have the screen and a chip replaced 10 months into its 12 month warranty...

I assume you checked out AVSForum & Rtings as well?

Thanks. Yeah. I’ve been reading AVSF and Rtings for weeks now. Like I’ve said I know what I believe (as do most others) to be the best TVs our there. But I just don’t know if it’s worth it for me to get one over another. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Do they have the new 900f model on display already?

thats what I'd really like to see is the new 900f on display right next to last year's 930e.

i don't actually have any interest in last year's 900e, just to be clear. I think I have it down to either the 930e from last year or the new 900f (which I haven't even seen yet...). 

With them doing away with the 930 completely though, I just don't want to miss out on it if it really does look better than the new 900f. But I also don't want to buy the 930 without seeing the new 900f either. lol. 

I just want to make sure I end up with the better of the 2 models. 

Thanks for all the help. 

So you were correct about the edgelighting on the 930e. But they did say the new 900F would replace all 900 models from 2017. 

If your feeing crazy, they have a Z9D 75” open box for sale for $6k. Man I wish that was in my price range right now. They said the black levels are almost as good as the OLED but you get the brightness of the LED. 

Im now in the same predicament that you are in. According to them the 900e is better than the Q7. Based off Rtings.com that is the same info. The 900e is better. Of course in the store I could see them both but not side by side. And definitely not in the same programming. That’s something that Stereo Advantage will and can do for you. They have them all in a very close proximity and can all be on the same programming. 

Just an FYI on the new models, Best Buy said they expect the new models to be in the stores and on display by mid March. So your about 2 weeks away from finding them. With that said, they told me the 900 models from 2017 are no longer being stocked and are on back order. They also said once the new ones come in, all the old ones will be removed from the walls there. So you won’t be able to see them side by side. 

Like I said, I’m in the same boat as you now. I’m thinking I want the 900e or 900f over the Q7. The price on the 900e is less than $200 more than the Q7 and that makes it all comparable to me. 

Just now, mrags said:

Thanks. Yeah. I’ve been reading AVSF and Rtings for weeks now. Like I’ve said I know what I believe (as do most others) to be the best TVs our there. But I just don’t know if it’s worth it for me to get one over another. 

The best advice is to pick the one that looks best to you and has the features that mean the most to you. TVs move so fast now, they are "obsolete" within a year anyways; the truth is is that they are all pretty damn good and I like the way the Sony TVs work with my PS; I also really wanted a 3D set. The differences in the top of the line sets are generally minuscule and really don't mean that much either. The only thing I like on the 740e was the 75" screen, but the Z9 beat it in everything else - so it was out. I really wanted an OLED as well, and was looking at the LG G series, I just liked the Sony better and was like F - it. The G series was really pulling me in because I had it in my head I wanted the OLED and I also I just didn't want to wait for the A1e either at that point. I figured the Direct LED Backlight MasterDrive competed with the OLED enough when I looked at them side by side and that was it.

On a side note, an electrician who has done work for me at work, bought the A1 and absolutely loves it. It's entirely personal and there is no perfect choice...

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

The best advice is to pick the one that looks best to you and has the features that mean the most to you. TVs move so fast now, they are "obsolete" within a year anyways; the truth is is that they are all pretty damn good and I like the way the Sony TVs work with my PS; I also really wanted a 3D set. The differences in the top of the line sets are generally minuscule and really don't mean that much either. The only thing I like on the 740e was the 75" screen, but the Z9 beat it in everything else - so it was out. I really wanted an OLED as well, and was looking at the LG G series, I just liked the Sony better and was like F - it. The G series was really pulling me in because I had it in my head I wanted the OLED and I also I just didn't want to wait for the A1e either at that point. I figured the Direct LED Backlight MasterDrive competed with the OLED enough when I looked at them side by side and that was it.

On a side note, an electrician who has done work for me at work, bought the A1 and absolutely loves it. It's entirely personal and there is no perfect choice...

Yup. You are right on that. And that gives me more to think about. If I can find a sick deal on a Z9D somewhere is it worth it to just bite the bullet and make that choice. My issue is finding one on a sick deal, and being happy with a 65” when I really want the 75”

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yup. You are right on that. And that gives me more to think about. If I can find a sick deal on a Z9D somewhere is it worth it to just bite the bullet and make that choice. My issue is finding one on a sick deal, and being happy with a 65” when I really want the 75”

I wanted the 75", but no way in hell was I spending $5500 on it (I couldn't and still can't believe I spent $3500 on one). I figured the next time I upgrade I will go bigger, I moved up from a 55" set - you need to pace yourself right? LOL

At the end of the day I figured out/decided I was going nuts and each had it pluses and minuses; I just had to pick one and jump in. Mine came down to 3D, plus the free upgrading of a late model 2016 to current specs gave me a sense of non-immediate obsolescence and not willing to wait for the A1 to come out. Something better always comes out and it was just the matter of finding the price I wanted. Most places are somewhat negotiable on pricing as well. Best Buy will negotiate a bit on the Magnolia items. I wanted to give my $$ to a small guy...

54 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I wanted the 75", but no way in hell was I spending $5500 on it (I couldn't and still can't believe I spent $3500 on one). I figured the next time I upgrade I will go bigger, I moved up from a 55" set - you need to pace yourself right? LOL

At the end of the day I figured out/decided I was going nuts and each had it pluses and minuses; I just had to pick one and jump in. Mine came down to 3D, plus the free upgrading of a late model 2016 to current specs gave me a sense of non-immediate obsolescence and not willing to wait for the A1 to come out. Something better always comes out and it was just the matter of finding the price I wanted. Most places are somewhat negotiable on pricing as well. Best Buy will negotiate a bit on the Magnolia items. I wanted to give my $$ to a small guy...

The 75” Z9D is still going for $6999. If you could have had for $5500 I say you should have got it. But you didn’t make a bad decision at all. 

If if I could get the 65” for $3k I’d do it. Right now I’m teetering back to the 900e because of the price and the size. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

So you were correct about the edgelighting on the 930e. But they did say the new 900F would replace all 900 models from 2017. 

If your feeing crazy, they have a Z9D 75” open box for sale for $6k. Man I wish that was in my price range right now. They said the black levels are almost as good as the OLED but you get the brightness of the LED. 

Im now in the same predicament that you are in. According to them the 900e is better than the Q7. Based off Rtings.com that is the same info. The 900e is better. Of course in the store I could see them both but not side by side. And definitely not in the same programming. That’s something that Stereo Advantage will and can do for you. They have them all in a very close proximity and can all be on the same programming. 

Just an FYI on the new models, Best Buy said they expect the new models to be in the stores and on display by mid March. So your about 2 weeks away from finding them. With that said, they told me the 900 models from 2017 are no longer being stocked and are on back order. They also said once the new ones come in, all the old ones will be removed from the walls there. So you won’t be able to see them side by side. 

Like I said, I’m in the same boat as you now. I’m thinking I want the 900e or 900f over the Q7. The price on the 900e is less than $200 more than the Q7 and that makes it all comparable to me. 

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah I wish I could justify spending that much on the z9d because I'd definitely buy it too. That backlight master drive is supposed to,work very similarly to OLED without any of the burn in or image retention issues. 

It has a ton of individual LED diodes that can be turned off one by one kind of like OLED. It can enhance any video to near HDR quality. 

I would would definitely go with the 900F over the 900e though, if it's down to those 2. 

I don't think the x900e will ever be compatible with Dolby Vision HDR, which is a big deal (IMO). 

Plus the 900f has the x1 extreme chip compared to only the x1 chip in the 900e (which is why I believe it will never be compatible with Dolby Vision).

It also has numerous other upgrades over the old 900e. But both are gr at tv's so I'm sure you'll be happy with either. 

Ive actually just been reading about some issues with Sony Vision on all Sony high end tv's. They rolled out an update for the 930 and 940/z9d and the Dolby vision is only compatible through apps, not through the HDMI input, which means no Dolby vision for video games and 4K blue rays etc. 

I want to make sure this is straightened out before I even buy a Sony now. 

Edited by BillsFan4

47 minutes ago, mrags said:

The 75” Z9D is still going for $6999. If you could have had for $5500 I say you should have got it. But you didn’t make a bad decision at all. 

If if I could get the 65” for $3k I’d do it. Right now I’m teetering back to the 900e because of the price and the size. 

So the $5500 was through Cleveland plasma, not authorized dealers and I heard Sony could break your balls about warranty claims and non-authorized dealers. I also know that is contrary to US law, but didn't want that hassle.  Value Electronics was willing to do it for I think it was $6900, but I didn't want to go that high and setllted for the 10" upgrade to a 65". I just looked at my receipt I got the 65Z9 for $3499 and the had a 15% rewards credit, that I put towards the Oppo203, which = $0.00. I only wanted to spend about $3k, but this was a no brainer...

2 hours ago, mrags said:

So I played around at best buy quite a bit, and the black levels are very close to the LED and it is ridiculously bright, like retina burning - it is great! They actually had a 900e andZ9 next to each other, it wasn't even fair for the 900e.

Hey I just wanted to mention one other thing. 

I know you really want that 75" TV size, but once you get a 75" you are probably not going to want to go smaller than that in the future.

Just something to think about. If you already have a 75" just ignore this... lol. 

Thats why why I think I'm going with 55" for now. I have a 46" Sony currently (it was a top end Sony XBR model and it still looks better than most new 1080p tv's (which is one reason why I love Sony)) and I'm happy with it. If I just to 65" I know I'll never want anything less in the future. So I'll step up to 55" this time and go 65" next time. 

22 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah I wish I could justify spending that much on the z9d because I'd definitely buy it too. That backlight master drive is supposed to,work very similarly to OLED without any of the burn in or image retention issues. 

It has a ton of individual LED diodes that can be turned off one by one kind of like OLED. It can enhance any video to near HDR quality. 

I would would definitely go with the 900F over the 900e though, if it's down to those 2. 

I don't think the x900e will ever be compatible with Dolby Vision HDR, which is a big deal (IMO). 

Plus the 900f has the x1 extreme chip compared to only the x1 chip in the 900e (which is why I believe it will never be compatible with Dolby Vision).

It also has numerous other upgrades over the old 900e. But both are gr at tv's so I'm sure you'll be happy with either. 

Ive actually just been reading about some issues with Sony Vision on all Sony high end tv's. They rolled out an update for the 930 and 940/z9d and the Dolby vision is only compatible through apps, not through the HDMI input, which means no Dolby vision for video games and 4K blue rays etc. 

So what you are saying about the 900f, is exactly why I went with the Z9d. There will be a software update for Dolby Vision to work on the Z9d via HDMI & USB, but as of now it looks like it will rely on the 3rd pparty hardware manufacturers to help. Thankfully Oppo (which is an amazing player btw.) is all on top of this and as of now Dolby Vision isn't a huge problem at all...

" “In January 2018, Sony will release a software update enabling Dolby Vision on select TV models (U.S. model series: Z9D, A1E, X930E, X940E). After the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such as streaming media players and UHD Blu-Ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of a software update for your device, please contact the player device manufacturer.” "

Finally, let’s turn to Oppo’s succinct but fortunately promising response: “OPPO is working with Dolby and [chip maker] MTK to overcome this issue. We do not have a timescale as to when we will have a fix, but it is a priority.”

So the good news here is that Oppo is clearly committed to delivering the necessary update to make its 4K Blu-ray players compatible with Sony’s DV TVs. The bad news is that it’s a collaborative process that appears to still be in its relatively early stages, with no ‘end date’ in sight.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/01/24/sony-tv-dolby-vision-problem-update-sony-and-oppo-respond/#17449a25498a

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know you really want that 75" TV size, but once you get a 75" you are probably not going to want to go smaller than that in the future.

Just something to think about. If you already have a 75" just ignore this... lol. 

Thats why why I think I'm going with 55" for now. I have a 46" Sony currently (it was a top end Sony XBR model and it still looks better than most new 1080p tv's (which is one reason why I love Sony)) and I'm happy with it. If I just to 65" I know I'll never want anything less in the future. So I'll step up to 55" this time and go 65" next time. 

You are a smart person and entirely correct. I would be itching for anything over 75" inches next time and those friggin TVs get crazy expensive at that point....

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty much every decent television is going to look terrific in your home.  I will never spend more than $1200 on a television because they're obsolete so quickly.

I have both Sony and Samsung in my house.  When they're calibrated, the Sony has the superior picture but I prefer the interface on the Samsung - much cleaner and more intuitive.

I have no recommendation.  I don't think you can go wrong with anything that's from a "name" manufacturer.  Televisions are just amazing now.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for all the info.

I’d definately go with the 900f over the 900e too. The problem is the 900f is $3999 for the 75” and the 900e is $2499 for the 75”. The 900f is replacing the 940e. So yeah, I’d rather have the F but for the price, I just don’t know how. 

The updates for only the apps and not the inputs is an issue. And that brings me back to the Samsung Q7 now because the separate box for all their inputs can be replaced in the future. 

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!   This is a never ending revolving door or crap now. 

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So the $5500 was through Cleveland plasma, not authorized dealers and I heard Sony could break your balls about warranty claims and non-authorized dealers. I also know that is contrary to US law, but didn't want that hassle.  Value Electronics was willing to do it for I think it was $6900, but I didn't want to go that high and setllted for the 10" upgrade to a 65". I just looked at my receipt I got the 65Z9 for $3499 and the had a 15% rewards credit, that I put towards the Oppo203, which = $0.00. I only wanted to spend about $3k, but this was a no brainer...

So I played around at best buy quite a bit, and the black levels are very close to the LED and it is ridiculously bright, like retina burning - it is great! They actually had a 900e andZ9 next to each other, it wasn't even fair for the 900e.

Which tv are you talking about in regards to playing around with the black levels compared to the LED? The Samsung? 

Yaah, I know the 900e isn’t close to the Z9 but for that price I just don’t think I can do it 

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If I decide to downgrade in size to a 65” I feel like I just wait for the Z9D in a few months. When I have more money saved up and hopefully the price of the Z9D drops a few hundred bucks. 

I currently have a 52” so a step up to 65” would be big but I want the big boy. If I want bigger in the future I’ll orobably just go with a projector. Unless the price on 100” TVs comes down. Lol