Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

So, I’m in the market for a new TV. Atm I have an old Samsung 52”. Ive done a crapload of research and personally viewed every TV out right now that’s in my range and covering what I’m looking for. I’ve seen videos of and read multiple reviews on all of them. Comparisons to each other. Etc. 

So I’m wondering if there’s anyone here that’s went down this same road. What Information you found. What tv did you go with and why. Did you have any of these TVs and have you experienced any issues with them at all. 

I’m looking between the following TVs. 

Sony LED, 75” $2,799

• XBR75X900E

Sony LED, 75” $3,999

• XBR75X940E

Sony OLED, 65”  $3,499

• XBR65A1E

Samsung QLED, 75”  $2,310

• QN75Q7FAMFXZA

so the issues that I have is I already know that the Sony OLED is probably the best TV on the market right now in that size and price range. However I’m curious to hear your opinions of it vs the QLED and other Sony LEDs at a much cheaper cost. The LEDs could be had in 75” for the same price or less than the 65” OLED. And the QLED I happen to get an extremely sick deal on. Almost $1k off retail for the 75”. I’m just not sure it’s worth it and if it compares to the Sony LEDs, specifically the 900E for similar price. 

Ok. So what do you think? Have any of you had to make this decision, and what did you do? 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless you are going to be watching UHD source material, 95% of TVs look about the same. Don't overthink it. If anything, invest in a nice surround sound system.

That was my thought when i first saw this thread..did not know there was that much of a difference anymore. My main TV has to be close to 12 years now, still love it.Heck, sure i would still like the DLP I had before it if it did not die.

I may be in the market soon for a new TV and this thread is of interest to me. But I do not know enough currently about new TVs out there. I have a 55' Samsung and a 46" Sony, and I prefer the picture quality usually in Samsungs over Sony's. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless you are going to be watching UHD source material, 95% of TVs look about the same. Don't overthink it. If anything, invest in a nice surround sound system.

I watch a ton of TV. Movies/dvd/Blu-ray. and 4k if I had the tv to support it. I have directv and there is availability but that’s not the point. The fact is, the new technology that’s out now will soon be the tech of the future and even quicker become the tech of the past. They are already talking about 8k and HDMI 2.1. Even 4k now isn’t mainstream but why get something that is already not the best. With that said, I should get the OLED without question, but tv size and price do come into play here. 

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That was my thought when i first saw this thread..did not know there was that much of a difference anymore. My main TV has to be close to 12 years now, still love it.Heck, sure i would still like the DLP I had before it if it did not die.

There’s huge differences now actually. Just go to Best Buy and ask to see their Sony OLED display. It’s hands down better than every other set I’ve seen. 

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I may be in the market soon for a new TV and this thread is of interest to me. But I do not know enough currently about new TVs out there. I have a 55' Samsung and a 46" Sony, and I prefer the picture quality usually in Samsungs over Sony's. 

That’s why I’m doing all this. I know what’s the better in my eyes, but trying to get other opinions on other brands and if anyone has had any issues with their current TVs. 

Also advice as to what is worth it more for the money 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I watch a ton of TV. Movies/dvd/Blu-ray. and 4k if I had the tv to support it. I have directv and there is availability but that’s not the point. The fact is, the new technology that’s out now will soon be the tech of the future and even quicker become the tech of the past. They are already talking about 8k and HDMI 2.1. Even 4k now isn’t mainstream but why get something that is already not the best. With that said, I should get the OLED without question, but tv size and price do come into play here. 

There’s huge differences now actually. Just go to Best Buy and ask to see their Sony OLED display. It’s hands down better than every other set I’ve seen. 

Got to be amazing playing PS4 on a screen that big

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

prolly old advice, and not sure if relevant anymore, but think my main TV looks so good still cause I paid the $150 back then to have it professionally calibrated in the room where it still sits. Worth every penny

That’s a great idea. Until I started looking into all this I never thought to do that. It’s worth it to do the calibration I keep hearing 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Got to be amazing playing PS4 on a screen that big

That’s the plan 

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s a great idea. Until I started looking into all this I never thought to do that. It’s worth it to do the calibration I keep hearing 

That’s the plan 

The old PS4 doesnt support 4k but the new one does right?

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

The old PS4 doesnt support 4k but the new one does right?

I don’t believe it does. As it is I don’t own the pro anyway. To my knowledge, the pro has the ability to be upgraded but is not capable at this time. As far as I know the newest Xbox does have the ability. 

Ill be getting a new 4k player when I get a new tv anyway. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

My wife is a photographer and I am in IT.  We have been calibrating her production monitors for well over a decade.  I started calibrating our TV's with her meter a few years ago and the difference is not something that can be ignored.  The meter costs as much as a good used car and the process is anything but elementary, so finding out on a football board that you can hire it out---priceless.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s why I’m doing all this. I know what’s the better in my eyes, but trying to get other opinions on other brands and if anyone has had any issues with their current TVs. 

Also advice as to what is worth it more for the money 

But that's my point. It's amazing....IF you go to Best Buy and watch an ultra hi-def movie. But watching on a cable or DTV box isn't going to look like that.

So if JBoyst is going to invest in ultra hi-def sources, then sure, invest in the best tv you can find. If not, then just buy a decent set on sale for $400.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But that's my point. It's amazing....IF you go to Best Buy and watch an ultra hi-def movie. But watching on a cable or DTV box isn't going to look like that.

So if JBoyst is going to invest in ultra hi-def sources, then sure, invest in the best tv you can find. If not, then just buy a decent set on sale for $400.

I will be buying 4k movies and DTV will have much more 4k access within the year I’d imagine. 

But all tvs now are pretty much 4k. At least they can be had cheaply if you want like you said about Boyst. But there is HUGE differences in picture quality even still. The blacks in the OLED are unmatched however they don’t get as bright as LED or QLED. 

Edited by mrags

i remember replying to another thread about this, but this is the one i bought recently:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

it was for my home office, so the size was perfect.  it's not my main tv, but i watch movies and play video games in my office, so i wanted something that had 4k with hdr.  i did quite a bit of research, and this was the tv that came up as the best for video games and movies.  i looked into the oleds, but for not having it be our main tv, didn't think it was worth the price.  most reviews i read state the oleds are the best picture, but didn't seem to think they were worth the investment at this time.  even with the tv i listed, you need the xbox one x or the ps4 pro to really notice the upgrade.  this picture is great, movies look  great, and video games are out of this world.  you do have to calibrate the thing properly, but the consoles helped in the setting section.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i remember replying to another thread about this, but this is the one i bought recently:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5748204.p?skuId=5748204

it was for my home office, so the size was perfect.  it's not my main tv, but i watch movies and play video games in my office, so i wanted something that had 4k with hdr.  i did quite a bit of research, and this was the tv that came up as the best for video games and movies.  i looked into the oleds, but for not having it be our main tv, didn't think it was worth the price.  most reviews i read state the oleds are the best picture, but didn't seem to think they were worth the investment at this time.  even with the tv i listed, you need the xbox one x or the ps4 pro to really notice the upgrade.  this picture is great, movies look  great, and video games are out of this world.  you do have to calibrate the thing properly, but the consoles helped in the setting section.  

That’s why I’m looking for. Thanks Teef. 

I agree on a a few things. The fact is the OLEDs are expensive but the LG is extremely well priced at $2700 for the 65”. I would say just do it but I am not interested in the LG. I just don’t like them and I believe the Sony has better color and better picture. So that brings me to the Sony and that one is $3400. Which is a lot but even the 800 Sony that you have in a 75” is $2200. So that leads me to my thoughts that this IS my main TV. I want it to do everything well including video games. So I would be splurging to get the TV but it might be worth it to spend the extra money to get pretty much the best TV out there right now. 

The only question is if it’s worth it to splurge and if it’s worth it to drop down in size. That I’m not sure yet. 

The Sony 940e is great but it’s actually more than the OLED unless I drop down to the same size in the 65” which makes it the 930e and drops it down to $2000. 

Some friends recently went through this and I learned the refresh rate is important to look at. I have a 55” LG that’s a few years old. Sometimes when watching football a long pass seems to kind of skip on the screen. Apparently my refresh rate is not so hot. It doesn’t happen on the 4k Samsung in another room, but that’s not where I watch football! 

On another note, we are considering putting the TV over the fireplace to increase seating in the room. I’m mostly concerned it will be too high to be comfortable and also a bit about heat from a gas FP. If I did this I’d replace the TV and add good sound, but I’m leaning against the high placement. Seating is only about 14 feet away, so the angle might be weird? Any experience with this? You see it a lot. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s why I’m looking for. Thanks Teef. 

I agree on a a few things. The fact is the OLEDs are expensive but the LG is extremely well priced at $2700 for the 65”. I would say just do it but I am not interested in the LG. I just don’t like them and I believe the Sony has better color and better picture. So that brings me to the Sony and that one is $3400. Which is a lot but even the 800 Sony that you have in a 75” is $2200. So that leads me to my thoughts that this IS my main TV. I want it to do everything well including video games. So I would be splurging to get the TV but it might be worth it to spend the extra money to get pretty much the best TV out there right now. 

The only question is if it’s worth it to splurge and if it’s worth it to drop down in size. That I’m not sure yet. 

The Sony 940e is great but it’s actually more than the OLED unless I drop down to the same size in the 65” which makes it the 930e and drops it down to $2000. 

you've done you're research, so i think it's just going to come down to preference, specifically financially.  if it's your main tv...why not?  typically i find that i buy something that's the "cheaper" model, i typically wish i had spent a bit more and gone for the better one.  how long you plan on keeping the tv may factor into this as well.  sony has done a great job with their most recent tvs.  i own mostly samsungs, but the sony is now the best in the house, (it's the only 4k one too).

as far as tvs go, it's a product that i almost never buy top of the line anymore.  i would, but months later i would see the same tv for hundreds off.  as long as the specs are there that you want, (4k, hdr, 60z-120z etc) i think you'll be happy.