Tampa Bay Releases RB Doug Martin & DL Chris Baker - Baker signs with CIN

26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, just saw:  2.9 yards per carry the last two years, and less than 1,000 total yards rushing.

...1,402 yards in 2015.

To be fair, having watched most of Tampa's games this season (and the last one too), I don't think there are many RBs in the NFL that could have been productive behind that line. Doug was pretty terrible this season even if you take the O-Line into consideration though.

This was a no-brainer for Tampa though. Saves them roughly $21 million over the next 3 years and the draft class is incredibly deep; they'll almost certainly get an upgrade at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

He also had a drug suspension. 

Excellent point as well and something I completely forgot about.  Drug suspensions are a big deal.  Houston just cut Brian Cushing for that very reason as well.  Cushing wasn't a world beater, but had some decent productivity over his career.  Now at 30, it's not likely that he's going to get another big payday.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Definitely my vet preference. I'd take McKinnon on a lowball deal I suppose. Ideally we spend a draft pick on a young guy though, and there's lots this year

I’d like to do both. Sign a vet to replace Tolbert and draft a guy like Royce Freeman or Josh Adams in the 4th-5th. It’s a deep RB class. Good backs are going to be available late. I’ve gone a bunch on mocks on fanspeak and every time I have a ton of guys available after the 4th who I could see as future nfl starters.

i was so intrigued by the way the eagles used their RBs last year. I love Shady and want to keep him, but they have to replenish the depth at that position and get him some help. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He's not washed up, he is still a good running back in my opinion.  Tampa has one of the worst situations in football right now. 

Terrible coach who was retained, so you know upper management and the owner are clueless.  Their offensive line is bad, and you have a weird QB who is not a leader and considering the lack of impulse control he has displayed in the NFL, he is very likely a full on rapist imo.  I believe he did it.

I don't think he is an option for the Bills though, considering his character issues.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He's not washed up, he is still a good running back in my opinion.  Tampa has one of the worst situations in football right now. 

Terrible coach who was retained, so you know upper management and the owner are clueless.  Their offensive line is bad, and you have a weird QB who is not a leader and considering the lack of impulse control he has displayed in the NFL, he is very likely a full on rapist imo.  I believe he did it.

I don't think he is an option for the Bills though, considering his character issues.

True story. 

At least being a bills fan for the past 20 years there were changes made. Granted, we made poor changes, but nontheless, they were made. How does it feel to be a Bucs fan, or a Bengals fan and see them shovel the same crap every year. At least we have been treated to a diversity of crap. 

The Bucs are very poorly run by the Glazers. I maintain that firing Tony Dungy (right as he had constructed a great team and was about to turn the corner) was a completely imbecilic move. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

True story. 

At least being a bills fan for the past 20 years there were changes made. Granted, we made poor changes, but nontheless, they were made. How does it feel to be a Bucs fan, or a Bengals fan and see them shovel the same crap every year. At least we have been treated to a diversity of crap. 

The Bucs are very poorly run by the Glazers. I maintain that firing Tony Dungy (right as he had constructed a great team and was about to turn the corner) was a completely imbecilic move. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

In this system I'd like Rex burkhead with a young QB. He's smart. Plays good football. Won't be expensive

So he'll re-sign with New England, they'll cut TD Mike and we'll re-sign TD Mike and most of our fans will be happy that we outsmarted the great Bill Belichick. 

Edited by The Jokeman

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

So he'll re-sign with New England, they'll cut TD Mike and we'll re-sign TD Mike and most of our fans will be happy that we outsmarted the great Bill Belichick. 

Almost $4 million for TD Mike this past season. Not one of Bill belichick's better moves. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Tampa Bay Releases RB Doug Martin & DL Chris Baker
2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

True story. 

I mean, they did win a Super Bowl the year after firing Dungy. Perhaps they win it even with him; it's hard to say. But Gruden was able to take that amazing defense Dungy and co. had built and give it a pretty good offense that Dungy was unable to provide. It's been pretty bad for them since that Super Bowl, but I think they're trending in the right direction now. It'll be interesting to see how they do this upcoming year; their GM has done a nice job of adding talent to the team, but he may believe to a fault in the young O-Line they've built. They have a couple really talented blockers, but it's never come together for them, and yet it appears that they're satisfied with what they have.

If they can add a good pass rusher off the edge and get one of the talented RBs in this year's draft, they should be a good team next year.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Forget Martin....Could Baker be a player the Bills could sign?  

Maybe he turns it around with his next team, but that dude was beyond terrible last season. Seemed like a classic case of getting paid and no longer caring.