Active shooter at Florida high school

Just now, DC Tom said:

That list includes such tragedies as a bus having a window shot out with a pellet gun, a kindergartener pulling the trigger of a police officer's service weapon, a stray bullet from off-school grounds hitting a school building, and an accidental discharge in a gun safety class on a weekend when school was out.  

Saying this was the "18th school shooting" equates mass murder to vandalizing a school bus, and is ignorantly misleading and stupid.

Okay it's the 14th.

1 minute ago, garybusey said:

Okay it's the 14th.

Look up the list.  It's more like the third.  Really, my point is less about school shooting than it is about not believing every useless meme you see and hear, and actually doing five minutes of research before you spout off.

But then, you're functionally illiterate, so "research" is well out of your grasp.

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Look up the list.  It's more like the third.  Really, my point is less about school shooting than it is about not believing every useless meme you see and hear, and actually doing five minutes of research before you spout off.

But then, you're functionally illiterate, so "research" is well out of your grasp.

Never minding the fact that the memes are coming from an industry that is largely responsible for the increase in these events.

Just now, GG said:

Never minding the fact that the memes are coming from an industry that is largely responsible for the increase in these events.

Big...Pharma?  Big Agro?  Monsanto?  It's Monsanto's fault, isn't it?  God damn fluoridated GMO corn ethanol...  [/Greg]

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Feelings are more valuable and informative than facts.

That's how the right gets everyone thinking they "need" guns in their home to protect themselves from those scary immigrants and robbers.

Edited by elroy16

42 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Feelings are more valuable and informative than facts.

And to quote my pal, Ben Shapiro, facts don't care about your feelings.

So what I'm reading is that the shooter was anti-Trump, pro-communism, pro-Antifa, and pro-CAIR?

Damn Republicans and their useless prayers.

Edited by LABillzFan

8 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

And to quote my pal, Ben Shapiro, facts don't care about your feelings.

So what I'm reading is that the shooter was anti-Trump, pro-communism, pro-Antifa, and pro-CAIR?

Damn Republicans and their useless prayers.

He was a 19-year old orphan.  He didn't have beliefs, he was just !@#$ed up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

He was a 19-year old orphan.  He didn't have beliefs, he was just !@#$ed up.

I'm starting to think that people who believe in the failed policies of the left are probably mentally ill.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Over the course of a lifetime an American's odds to dying in a mass shooting are approximately 1:110,000.

Thats roughly that same odds you have of dying in a lethal dog attack.

Mass shootings are not a problem.  You are being fed a narrative.

They most certainly are a problem that we should be exploring avenues to prevent.  Should we not bother to research something like ALS or Parkinsons since they are nowhere near as common a killer as heart disease is?  Obviously so many of the ideas out there are far too extreme, but there is nothing to be lost by trying to find realistic ways to limit the number of these events.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

They most certainly are a problem that we should be exploring avenues to prevent.  Should we not bother to research something like ALS or Parkinsons since they are nowhere near as common a killer as heart disease is?  Obviously so many of the ideas out there are far too extreme, but there is nothing to be lost by trying to find realistic ways to limit the number of these events.

Individual incidents are problematic, but we don't have an epidemic which rises to the standard of requiring government intervention at the level of the violation of natural and Constitutional rights.

Interesting you mention Parkinson's.  There are approximately 50,000 new diagnoses of Parkinson's every year, while there are, on the high end, only 400 deaths related to mass shootings annually.

The annual death toll from mass shootings is similar to that of bathtub drownings. 

Why aren't we up in arms about limiting the volume of water that can be contained in bathtubs?  Or requiring bathtub owners to register themselves and staff their homes with lifeguards?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The annual death toll from mass shootings is similar to that of bathtub drownings. 

Why aren't we up in arms about limiting the volume of water that can be contained in bathtubs?  Or requiring bathtub owners to register themselves and staff their homes with lifeguards?

Jeez TYTT, don't give the Left any ideas..............................:D

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Why aren't we up in arms about limiting the volume of water that can be contained in bathtubs?  

You think California isn't pursuing that?

• Haha (+1) 1

Grandmother Stops Another School Shooting Day Before Florida Massacre. https://tiny.iavian.net/lle2

There's a statement in the arricle about how the kid studied other mass shootings. It makes me wonder how much burden should the media shoulder. There's a fine line between news and sensationalism. With that being said with  more and more people are getting information from social media, I'm not sure what can be done. I saw that some kid was tweeting live updates during the shooting yesterday......man I miss Mayberry.

11 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

The mind of a leftist...

Shooter.jpg

Good God.

You know she turned out to be such a vile human being............maybe she  is right, she should have been aborted if thats all she can think of in this horrible situation

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

That list includes such tragedies as a bus having a window shot out with a pellet gun, a kindergartener pulling the trigger of a police officer's service weapon, a stray bullet from off-school grounds hitting a school building, and an accidental discharge in a gun safety class on a weekend when school was out.  

Saying this was the "18th school shooting" equates mass murder to vandalizing a school bus, and is ignorantly misleading and stupid.

Of course, the people that think mass shootings are a problem are the same ones that want to ban assault canines like pit bulls.

Another was an adult  committing suicide in his car in the parking lot of a school that was shut down 7 months earlier.

54 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Another was an adult  committing suicide in his car in the parking lot of a school that was shut down 7 months earlier.

Any time some nutbag tries to argue that the MSM isn't devoid of any standards, we should remind them how quickly almost all jumped on that moronic "18 school mass shootings" crap without one single group stopping to examine how big of a lie it was before they spread it worldwide.

The message got out. That was all that mattered. Facts mean little when you are convinced your agenda is more important.

15 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Any time some nutbag tries to argue that the MSM isn't devoid of any standards, we should remind them how quickly almost all jumped on that moronic "18 school mass shootings" crap without one single group stopping to examine how big of a lie it was before they spread it worldwide.

The message got out. That was all that mattered. Facts mean little when you are convinced your agenda is more important.

This is by design.  

Does it at all occur to anyone that the same group of people who tried to rig a federal election and then attempted a coup attempt to overthrow the legitimate government, would also be in favor of confiscating the arms of the People they propose to dictate to?

Hasn't that always been the way it's happened?  

Isn't that the precise purpose of the Second Amendment?

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

A lot of them, the presence of a school was either incidental or completely irrelevant to the shooting.  Hell, let's just go down the list...

Jan. 3, St. Johns, Mich.

The first school shooting took place just three days into the new year, at East Olive Elementary School in St. Johns, Mich.

A 31-year-old man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the former school’s parking lot.

Suicide outside a vacant building.  A vet with PTSD who called police to report himself being suicidal shot himself after the police tried to talk him down.

Jan. 4, Seattle, Wash.

A gunshot was fired at the New Start High School in Seattle, Wash. The round entered an office window and ended up lodged in a three-ring binder. No one was injured.

No one actually knows what happened - the bullet pretty much came out of nowhere, went through a window, the back of a bookshelf, and into the binder.  The binder was slightly injured, and treated at the scene.

Jan, 10 Sierra Vista, Ariz.

A teen was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a Coronado Elementary School bathroom.

Just what it says.  14 year old eighth grader shoots himself at the start of the school day.  Police respond as an "active shooter incident."  One can argue this is a "school shooting," I wouldn't, as the term implies to most people that someone went in to a school, guns blazing.  But I couldn't argue with those who did. 

Jan. 10, San Bernardino, Calif.

At least one shot was fired, shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported.

Stray bullet from off-campus.

Jan. 10, Denison, Texas

A bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured.

Accidental discharge.

Jan. 15, Marshall, Texas

Gunshots rang out on the Wiley College Campus in Marshall. A bullet went through a residential hall’s dorm room. No injuries were reported.

Stray bullet breaks a window.

Jan. 20, Winston-Salem, N.C.

A Winston-Salem State University football player was shot and killed at an event at Wake Forest University.

Fight at 1am at a party at a remote (i.e. not in the middle of campus) student venue.

Jan. 22, Italy, Texas

A teenage girl was wounded at Italy High school after a 16-year-old suspect opened fire with a semi-automatic hangun.

Kid shoots his ex-girlfriend, runs when confronted by a school employee.

Jan. 22, Gentilly, La.

A shooting outside The NET Charter High School injured a 14-year-old boy.

Drive-by shooting that had nothing to do with the school.  "Injured" 14-year-old boy had an "abrasion" on his elbow that had nothing to do with the shooting.  :rolleyes:

Jan. 23, Benton, Ky.

Two people were killed and another 15 were shot at Marshall County High School.

Not a lot of info, as the suspect is 15 and the case records "secret" under Kentucky law.  But pretty incontrovertibly a mass school shooting.

Jan. 25, Mobile, Ala.

Murphy High School student Jonah Neal fired a gun on campus. No one was injured.

Went outside and fired shots into the air.

Jan. 26, Dearborn, Mich.

Shots were fired from a car in Dearborn High School's parking lot. No injuries were reported.

Shots fired by someone having nothing to do with the school at someone else having nothing to do with the school, for reasons having nothing to do with the school, after school hours.

Jan. 31, Pa.

Gunshots erupted as a fight broke out outside of Lincoln High School. A 32-year-old man was shot twice and later pronounced dead.

Large fight in school parking lot "did not involve school students or staff."

Feb. 1, Los Angeles, Calif.

An accidental shooting injured five children at the Salvador B. Castro Middle School in downtown Los Angeles.

Accidental.  And odd.  Girl drops backpack, gun in backpack discharges and injures five.  

Feb. 5, Oxon Hill, Md.

A teen was shot outside of Oxon Hill High School. The victim survived.

Location at school completely incidental to shooting.  (Oddly, victim was in critical condition, taken to the hospital, and released hours later.  Either not that critical, or Yay, Obamacare!)

Feb. 5, Maplewood, Minn.

A third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun, firing a shot at the Harmony Learning Center. No one was injured.

"The officer was sitting on a bench talking with some students about 1:45 p.m., when a third-grader pressed the trigger of the officer’s holstered weapon, according to a news release issued by the Maplewood Police Department."  

Feb. 8, New York, N.Y.

A teen was taken into custody after a shot was fired inside Metropolitan High School. No one was injured.

All I can find about this one is "a kid shot the floor."  In the Bronx, so it's an even money bet the floor had it coming.

Feb. 14, Broward County, Fla.

A former student killed 17 people atStoneman Douglas High.

The most recent.

If you want to be generous-but-still-rational with defining "school shooting" as "discharge of a firearm during school functions or school hours involving students or staff with intent to injure or kill," that's four school shootings, including one suicide.  If you want to define it as per the typical implication of "indiscriminate shooting of multiple victims directly involving school students and staff at a school event or during school hours," it's two.

If you want to be a complete idiot and define "school shooting" as "any discharge of a firearm anywhere near a building that is, once was, or will be a school," then that list is correct.

As a side note, one interesting thing I learned compiling the above is how many "gun incidents" there are at schools.  The search for many of the above returned, in addition to the above stories, two or three more recent stories about guns found to be brought on to school property but not fired.  There are a hell of a lot more guns being brought in to schools than we'd think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Big...Pharma?  Big Agro?  Monsanto?  It's Monsanto's fault, isn't it?  God damn fluoridated GMO corn ethanol...  [/Greg]

As a proud employee of Dow-DuPont I can assure you that it is ALWAYS Monsanto's fault.

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Individual incidents are problematic, but we don't have an epidemic which rises to the standard of requiring government intervention at the level of the violation of natural and Constitutional rights.

Interesting you mention Parkinson's.  There are approximately 50,000 new diagnoses of Parkinson's every year, while there are, on the high end, only 400 deaths related to mass shootings annually.

Im not trying to compare the exact numbers of anything here. I only mention Parkinson’s because it was the first thing that came to mind due to personal experience. But whatever, I do think things can be done to help prevent these, things that fall far short of governmental intervention. 

42 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As a proud employee of Dow-DuPont I can assure you that it is ALWAYS Monsanto's fault.

I see that the farmers' dating site worked out for you.  Congrats.

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Im not trying to compare the exact numbers of anything here. I only mention Parkinson’s because it was the first thing that came to mind due to personal experience. But whatever, I do think things can be done to help prevent these, things that fall far short of governmental intervention. 

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions.

13 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Front page of WashingtonPost.com

No, there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018. That number is flat wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.c74ed4f95082

Yes, one example. I'm sure you can find 10 that shows the liberal media pushing "facts" that are taken out of context, but let's be real here. The liberal media is far from the only medium that does this. Conservative politicians are guilty as hell of doing this. They loved talking up the WalMart bonuses that they handed out after the tax cut while conveniently ignoring that it was only for employees that had been there for over 20 years and that they also closed a bunch of Sam's Clubs at the same time. The same thing happened with AT&T.

Trump talked over and over about how he saved the Carrier plants from moving to Mexico. Guess what, now they're laying off workers, but does Trump mention that? Of course not.

So please spare me how the awful, evil, liberal MSM doesn't tell you all the facts. 

Edited by elroy16

3 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Front page of WashingtonPost.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.c74ed4f95082

Yes, one example. I'm sure you can find 10 that shows the liberal media pushing "facts" that are taken out of context, but let's be real here. The liberal media is far from the only medium that does this. Conservative politicians are guilty as hell of doing this. They loved talking up the WalMart bonuses that they handed out after the tax cut while conveniently ignoring that it was only for employees that had been there for over 20 years and that they also closed a bunch of Sam's Clubs at the same time. The same thing happened with AT&T.

Trump talked over and over about how he saved the Carrier plants from moving to Mexico. Guess what, now they're laying off workers, but does Trump mention that? Of course not.

So please spare me how the awful, evil, liberal MSM doesn't tell you all the facts. 

What happens far more often on this site:

Conservatives who criticize GOP or Liberals/Progressives who criticize DEMs?

Jimmy Kimmel pleads with POTUS to do something about guns.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/02/16/jimmy-kimmel-pleads-trump-do-something-gun-control-moving-monologue/344346002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Why doesn't the Jimster appeal to his posse in the House and Senate to make a move toward compromise on some of the many measures aimed (no pun intended) at doing just that, eh?

Oh, that's right, I forgot, it's much more de rigeur, and easier, to blast POTUS (see "moving monologue") than work to actually achieve something.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

What happens far more often on this site:

Conservatives who criticize GOP or Liberals/Progressives who criticize DEMs?

Conservatives always criticize their own more than Liberals 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

In large part this is because the GOP hasn't resembled anything remotely close to "conservative" since Reagan took office.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

My theory behind this is that for liberals, who are far less inclined to believe in any form of higher power, their self-serving goal is their highest moral priority, and therefore the ends will always justify the means:  IE. it's OK to lie, cheat, steal, rig and election, murder Seth Rich, attempt to overthrow a justly elected government, etc. so long as it advances their agenda; whereas conservatives tend to be more religious and have a moral structure which dictates a generally more honest approach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2