The 2018 Winter Olympic thread

Just Jack

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that was cool, liked the biathlon too. But drives me nuts they all feel the need to collapse once over the finish line. I get it, you are tired, so are most every athlete in every endurance event, no need to dramatize it. 

Yes the German guy? I thought he was hurt or something, too dramatic. 

The interview after with the American guy was pretty funny. Basically said i shot well but I'm not fast enough. I liked how blunt he was while being critical of himself.

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I haven't seen it in ages but I remember it looked like he was on the brink of disaster the whole way down.

Exactly.  If i recall, he was not high on the leader board and he needed an out of control run to win.  It was mythical.

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No active NHL players are in the Olympics this time around, and that's probably going to hurt both the US and Canadian hockey teams much more than the European teams because a lot of their homegrown talent plays in various European professional leagues.  The 2018 US team is made up of some college kids, some ex-NHLers, and some players not good enough to make the NHL (not sure if NHL farm team players are among them).  Winning a medal will be a major accomplishment for this team.

One US team that did win yesterday was the US men's curling team.  They beat Korea handily in their first round robin game.   Oh, yeah, and Canada beat the Swiss pair to take the first ever gold medal in mixed doubles curling while the OAR (Olympic Athletes from Russia) won the bronze over Norway.  Since I watched both the medal mixed double curling matches and then stayed up until 2:30AM watching the US/Korea match, I'm  "curled out" this morning!

Whoever handles these athletes ought to inform them on protocols for handling the US flag.

White is a great athlete, but his handling of our flag after his run was beyond cringe-worthy.

Really made me uncomfortable. I couldn't wait for the video to end.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Whoever handles these athletes ought to inform them on protocols for handling the US flag.

White is a great athlete, but his handling of our flag after his run was beyond cringe-worthy.

I'm sure he was well advised and decided to do his thing anyway.

This wasn't David Wottle forgetting to remove his painters cap on the podium.

Edited by row_33

44 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I'm sure he was well advised and decided to do his thing anyway.

This wasn't David Wottle forgetting to remove his painters cap on the podium.

I don't mind "doing your thing" in the moment of personal triumph.

I mind dragging the flag on the ground for extended periods, oblivious to protocol or common sense.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I felt the same way, that really pissed me off. I hope we don't need that medal in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

I felt the same way, that really pissed me off. I hope we don't need that medal in the end.

I'm glad someone else noticed it.

I'm certain anyone who has served in the military and had to handle a flag noticed it.

I'm also sure that the US Olympic Committee will address it for future athletes.

When you carry the colors of your country, you are acknowledging something bigger than yourself or your personal achievement.

It should never touch the ground, intentionally.  

9 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm glad someone else noticed it.

I'm certain anyone who has served in the military and had to handle a flag noticed it.

I'm also sure that the US Olympic Committee will address it for future athletes.

When you carry the colors of your country, you are acknowledging something bigger than yourself or your personal achievement.

It should never touch the ground, intentionally.  

I saw it, he was crying like a baby at the time. Seemed like an honest mistake to me.

48 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I don't mind "doing your thing" in the moment of personal triumph.

I mind dragging the flag on the ground for extended periods, oblivious to protocol or common sense.

doing his thing is disrespecting the US flag.

i thought that would be too obvious at first.

10 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I saw it, he was crying like a baby at the time. Seemed like an honest mistake to me.

I dont buy the 'got carried away' excuse when it's his 3d time around.   Grow up dude.

Meanwhile, gritty effort from the girls hockey team.  Those are two well matched teams;  hope they meet for the gold.

Nothing like the unbrided homoeroticism of the Olympic men's figure skating competition.   I'm convinced whichever flaming ex-skater does the commentary has a bet with his friends about how many double entendres he can work into his skating analysis.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/15/2018 at 12:35 AM, KD in CA said:

I dont buy the 'got carried away' excuse when it's his 3d time around.   Grow up dude.

Meanwhile, gritty effort from the girls hockey team.  Those are two well matched teams;  hope they meet for the gold.

Boys hockey team is easy to root for but tough to watch. Thanks NHL.

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Hats off to the Korean skeleton guy. He was hauling some serious ass. Killed the competition. Good win for the home team.

I don't recall any team or individual winning by so much.   The guy is a 0.5 sec ahead at the first timer and basically just holds it the rest of the way.   I guess that is what happens when an ex-track guy gets into the sport.   I assume the more runs he gets in the future will only make him better.