2019 QB Class

Peace Frog

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This FO has zero track record wrt QB drafting 

Fair point but McD was an influence in the last draft when we did not pick a QB (not counting Peterman here). Many times it is about the organization as a whole and not the GM by himself

Edited by Fan in Chicago

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Fair point but McD was an influence in the last draft when we did not pick a QB (not counting Peterman here). Many times it is about the organization as a whole and not the GM by himself

McD had a big influence on the draft but he’s not a scout or a GM. He didn’t spend a year evaluating QBs. Once again I don’t think he wanted Whaley picking his QB knowing he was going to be gone the next day. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

Historically, it seems as though roughly every other year or every 3rd year is a strong QB class, and drafting the year after a strong is a poor notion.

I acknowledge that the last 3 years seem to "buck the trend", but it certainly "bit us on the arse" in 2013

The class in 2019 is not close to the this years in terms of top end talent and overall ability and potential.  This year is the deepest class since 2004.  Buffalo has 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders.  If you have to move up to get a Qb Buffalo will never have the ability to do it more than now.  

2 hours ago, njodogg said:

I think the most likely scenario is the bills stay put or even trade back one of the first rounders if another team loves a certain player. I believe Beane loves draft capital and wants to stock pile as much as possible. I see them drafting by a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Likely Mason Rudolph. Also that means keeping TT one more year. At 18mm or whatever its really not a horrible price. 

I just can't wait for those 160yd performances its gonna be fantastic 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

McD had a big influence on the draft but he’s not a scout or a GM. He didn’t spend a year evaluating QBs. Once again I don’t think he wanted Whaley picking his QB knowing he was going to be gone the next day. 

McD appears to be a control freak to me. Do you think he would have allowed Whaley to go against something he strongly believed in ? he had several months before the draft to evaluate QB or review and critique Whaley's year-long assessments

I think they planned on being able to draft in the top 5 this year, without having to trade up.  I don't think they anticipated both teams (Buffalo & KC) to be playoff teams.  I think they were banking on one of them being a top 5 pick.  If that was their thinking, then I think we will see them trade one of their 1st round picks, for a second and next years # 1, and try again next year.  I don't see them trading up high enough to get a pick.  My guess is they trade down with one of the 1st, and then take a QB in the second or third (wherever they see value).

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

McD appears to be a control freak to me. Do you think he would have allowed Whaley to go against something he strongly believed in ? he had several months before the draft to evaluate QB or review and critique Whaley's year-long assessments

Exactly he's a control freak and a manipulator.  He made a huge mistake not taking a QB last yr. I guess cornerback is more important then QB to Mcd. 

57 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Also, one more college season changes a lot of things. waiting for a particular year because that class may be stronger is not the prudent strategy. Also, even within 'weak' classes, there are good QBs to be had. It is all about who you pick. Given the bills track record of dilly dallying on the QB decision, I would also be very very disappointed if they didnt pick one in the first round. I thought they should have picked one in the last draft as well but thats water under the bridge now. 

Yes and no. Trubisky went 2nd overall last year and he wouldn’t have been higher than the 4th QB this year IMO. 

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

This is the deepest QB draft in years, no reason we can't get our guy. We have plenty of ammo and no more excuses. Time to find our QB in 2018 imo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, McBean said:

The annual “let’s wait to take a QB next year” post. A tradition unlike any other for Bills fans...

"Daddy I want a golden goose and I want it now"

-Veruca Salt (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Notice we have not heard a single person say that 2019 is better than 2018 for QBs. That is a huge pet peeve of mine on here. It’s the lazy person’s way of saying “get a QB now.” Some people were saying in 2013 “next year is better” while others came back with “next year is always better.” We ended up with EJ in the 1st round. All drafts aren’t the same in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. This is a strong QB class so we should get one. 

There are years to punt on a QB.  Next year might be one.  Last year was not.  This year certainly isn't.  

Based on my current grades meshing #17 with #18 my order of first round grades would be:

1 - Rosen

2 - Watson

3 - Darnold

4 - Mayfield

5 - Trubisky

6 - Rudolph

Edited by GunnerBill

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I just don’t agree that it’s that simple. With any other position, yes. And he did. But with the QB, it’s a whole different level of scouting, and the process may not have been aligned with his expectation. He may have looked at the evaluations in mid-January 2017 when the season was over and seen they only saw them live once and his standard is he wants them seen live at least twice. The Bills FO, according to one of the draft analysts I heard on radio, is  the team that most heavily scouted QBs this last college season. They’ve been incredibly invested. Live Scouting is enormous with QBs. How did the FO scout QBs when Rex was here? What were his standards? No one knows but these two coaches are starkly different so i gather it may not have been the same. The Bills have live scouted every top QB except Lamar Jackson at least twice this season. They live scouted Sam Darnold 3x.

To assume that a new HC who has coached defense his whole life and has no background scouting and evaluating College QB prospects should just accept the evaluations of an FO that was going to be gone the next day for a 1st round pick at QB would be relatively puzzling. It’s the biggest decision of his career...

I mean, control freak? In that situation? Yeah, I hope so. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Here we go again, next year's class is better. Same old talk always wait for the QB because the next class is better.

Truth is the team will always have big needs at other positions and IMO they can be filled in FA but QB has to be done in the draft and done early unless you already have a franchise QB. A drafted QB is cheaper in the contract.

Enough waiting and enough with the next year's class talk. This year has plenty of good prospects early and we have plenty of picks to move up, just do it.

It was sarcasm, Rush

In 2019 I like the Penn St. QB, Trace McSorley. He will be labled undersized because he's only 6'0" tall, but the young man is a gamer. He makes every throw, is very athletic, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws well on the run. He would have to declare though because I think he's only a Junior. 

I stil believe this class is better than 2019 though. If there was ever a year to get our guy it would be this one imo. Fill what holes you can in FA and if one of those holes not filled is QB then make your move to get the guy you like best. 

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

In 2019 I like the Penn St. QB, Trace McSorley. He will be labled undersized because he's only 6'0" tall, but the young man is a gamer. He makes every throw, is very athletic, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws well on the run. He would have to declare though because I think he's only a Junior. 

I stil believe this class is better than 2019 though. If there was ever a year to get our guy it would be this one imo. Fill what holes you can in FA and if one of those holes not filled is QB then make your move to get the guy you like best. 

McSorley is Mayfield Lite. His super- competitive attitude on the field is very similar as is his playing style. He had a great Rose Bowl vs USC and I went into 2017 thinking i liked him but had to see more before I could decide if he was a good nfl prospect ... I came away from this season thinking i still need to see more. When the running game was taken away I thought he struggled vs good defenses. But I think he has talent and potential. Interesting that he was highly recruited as a safety.