2019 QB Class

Peace Frog

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

Edited by Peace Frog

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Does anybody have any idea what the QBs might look like for next year's draft?  If we can't get our guy in this year's draft, would it make sense for the Bills to use all of their draft picks to fill as many holes as possible, tank this upcoming season, and then draft their QB next year?  We could shore up both lines, get our LB, RB, WR, and salary cap situation straightened out, etc.  Your thoughts?

I don’t watch enough college ball to really know. It’s a really good question. The big question is what’s the cap hit if we cut TT in 2019 rather than now, 2018? 

Nobody worth anything will come here on a year or two deal just to be cut a year or two later. Since that’s the case might as well pay the contact we have now...unless we can get out of it for the same price a year or two from now. Otherwise we are right back where we started. 

I guess my take on this is why give up so much 'draft capital' in the upcoming draft just so we can get our future franchise QB when there are so many holes on the team to fill.  Use the 21st & 22nd to get a DT and C.  Use the 2nd rounder for a LB, etc.  There are plenty of players that we need and should get them this draft.  If we can't sign a FA QB, then draft him next year.  Why move up to pick one of the desired QBs when he'll just get killed on a team that is not ready for him?  Besides, the Patriots look like they're not ready to roll over and play dead so they'll probably be on a mission next season.  Let's use next year to build a team that is ready to take over the East in 2019.

16 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

At some point you have to do what it takes to get your guy. There's always going to be a next year.

I guess if next year's class looks kind of weak, we could just take him now.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

NO TANKING!!!

That Didnt Work For The Sabres as there is no Talent to build around the star and sets the team back for years.

We need to do what the Eagles did and trade up for our QB and if we can't get the guy we want we go BPA this year and then trade up next year.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NO TANKING!!!

That Didnt Work For The Sabres as there is no Talent to build around the star and sets the team back for years.

We need to do what the Eagles did and trade up for our QB and if we can't get the guy we want we go BPA this year and then trade up next year.

I agree with you that "tanking' makes no sense - especially at this point. I also agree with you that the Bills need to just go out and trade up for "their guy". But it has to be THIS YEAR. Either the 2nd or 3rd overall pick should be acquirable. I believe that at least the top 3 Qb's (Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield) are worthy of going all out for. I don't have any preference myself. The combine results should be interesting to watch. Rudolph has pretty impressive stats as well and needs to be considered. I am trusting in McBean's judgements here.

As far as the Sabre's "Tank" was concerned I think the GM badly misplayed his hand. I never understood Murray wasting a 1st rd pick on Lehner when other more impressive FA goalies were available. It never made sense to me. I also think Housley is in over his head... But that's for another day, another discussion...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

I agree with you that "tanking' makes no sense - especially at this point. I also agree with you that the Bills need to just go out and trade up for "their guy". But it has to be THIS YEAR. Either the 2nd or 3rd overall pick should be acquirable. I believe that at least the top 3 Qb's (Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield) are worthy of going all out for. I don't have any preference myself. The combine results should be interesting to watch. Rudolph has pretty impressive stats as well and needs to be considered. I am trusting in McBean's judgements here.

As far as the Sabre's "Tank" was concerned I think the GM badly misplayed his hand. I never understood Murray wasting a 1st rd pick on Lehner when other more impressive FA goalies were available. It never made sense to me. I also think Housley is in over his head... But that's for another day, another discussion...

2nd or 3rd pick are NOT something the we can get.  People can type it 1000 times but it doesn't change facts.  

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed, this is the strong QB class. That’s when you get the QB. 

As sweet as it was too end the drought, it seems Bills that the best season we've had in 17 years (solely bc of the playoffs, I thought we had better teams other years) is the same year that there are a bunch of potential franchise QBs, so it might actually set us back another decade without a QB.

(Although ending the drought was pretty nice)

It doesn’t look great right now but it’s way early. It’s nothing like this year, regardless. Francois is really good but turnover in coaching staff has to merge with his development. Finley has potential but I don’t see him as a top of the draft type guy.

there are always guys who newly emerge during the season. Ohio State has a dynamic pro prospect at QB  in Dwayne Haskins. Not a typical OSU Qb in that he’s a pro style guy. He has to win the job first but he’s expected to. He will be draft eligible as a RS Sophomore. Not normally the type McBeane would target though in terms of experience. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

As sweet as it was too end the drought, it seems Bills that the best season we've had in 17 years (solely bc of the playoffs, I thought we had better teams other years) is the same year that there are a bunch of potential franchise QBs, so it might actually set us back another decade without a QB.

(Although ending the drought was pretty nice)

Agree that we have had better teams and also agree that this year was satisfying. We still have the ammo though. We had the resources even if we were picking 32nd. The Bills put themselves in position to go and get a guy this year. There is no reason to wait and pick from a worse crop of QBs next year. This draft isn’t especially deep anyways. If you have to sacrifice extra picks to get your QB so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

There will be a good Qb available for the Bills when they pick regardless of whether or not they trade up.      Just have to do a better job than other teams at evaluating the talent available.   If they get that right, this team's trajectory is higher.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree that we have had better teams and also agree that this year was satisfying. We still have the ammo though. We had the resources even if we were picking 32nd. The Bills put themselves in position to go and get a guy this year. There is no reason to wait and pick from a worse crop of QBs next year. This draft isn’t especially deep anyways. If you have to sacrifice extra picks to get your QB so be it. 

I agree completely.

I'm not sure we can move up to a high pick though, unless we go full ditka, because there's so many QB needy teams. (Not an avocation if that btw)

I think it's an interesting QB class, a ton of very good QB prospects, could wind up being one of those "QB years" we look at in 10 years that shaped a decade of the NFL landscape 

It could also be a tire-fire.

Either way I hope we are on board for a ticket to the 2018 QB ride, because missing the boat this year will piss off a lot of fans (obviously that's assuming we don't land cousins or another trade)

This is the year to get a QB. Next year will be like the EJ Manuel QB class. It is amazing that we took a 1st round QB in the 2 best QB drafts of all time (1983 and 2004) and the worst QB draft of all time (2013). This year could go down as another one of the best and next year one of the worst. It will be interesting to see which draft they take a QB in.

• Like (+1) 1