Time to rebuild

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It seems that he might be subordinate to McDermott when it comes to personnel decisions.  As someone mentioned, McDermott had at least some if not most of the say in Beane's hiring.

Then why have a GM?

The cost will be too much to move into the top 5.  Buffalo is in a tough spot.  To get  in the top 5 would cost them both 1’s this year and most likely next years 1.  To give that up they better be sure this QB will be the real deal.  If any hesitation don’t do it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I really want us to make a move and get a rookie QB. I was ok if we sucked this year and had an opportunity to pick higher (For BPA with our holes, pass rushing or QB would be ideal, but by far BPA) and I am also a fan of trading up for a guy, the caveat has always been and will always be - you have to do your homework and know for a fact that this is your guy; and believe it strongly enough to place your job on the line for it. It cannot be a panic move...

Rosen is one I would go and get, Darnold I am okay with and Mayfield as well. Outside of them, I wouldn't give up a ton to grab Lamar or Rudolph (very iffy on him) & I would run away from Allen too busty for me...

As long as it truly isn't this, I'd prefer the Bills draft a QB to signing a FA vet.  They might as well just keep Taylor in that case because there's not much out there other than Cousins.  They'd have to trade for Foles, and I'm not sure that he could have success with the Bills because of their holes on offense.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Then why have a GM?

To negotiate trades and other related personnel matters.  I think that both NE and KC use the model where the HC has control of player personnel.   The Bills have generally had the GM either equal/semi-subservient to the HC since Donahoe was fired after the 2005 season.  Both Whaley and Nix selected players that fit what the HC wanted ... for good or bad, and mostly bad IMO since the 2013 draft.

7 hours ago, Albwan said:

Nah seems like alot around here are good with 100 yds and 1 td  of offense

Brady gets 500 yds passing in the superbowl...how many games does it take

for the bills to get 500 passing yards? So depressing.

bills are playing 1970s football.

This is why I wanted Taylor gone after his 1st season here. There is no way in hell he could keep up offensively in a game like that. I see Taylor being released and I don't see him getting a huge amount of money in FA.

Not sure this actually needs to be said. 

Despite the surprising playoff appearance, the 2017 season was the start of a roster tear-down.  They let most of their free agents walk.  They traded Watkins, Darby, Dareus and Ragland for draft picks.  They would have let Taylor walk too, but he was literally the best veteran available on the market.

This draft is the start of the rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This is why I wanted Taylor gone after his 1st season here. There is no way in hell he could keep up offensively in a game like that. I see Taylor being released and I don't see him getting a huge amount of money in FA.

passing yards

passing yards

passing yards

The most WORTHLESS stat that keeps getting parotted by the anti TT club

You want to talk about points fine

You want to talk about inability to bring the team back when down fine

You want to talk about not throwing recievers open....or not being willing to pull the trigger on passes FINE

but will people PLEASE stop talking about the damn passing yards like that is a determination of a good quarterback?

8 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

passing yards

passing yards

passing yards

The most WORTHLESS stat that keeps getting parotted by the anti TT club

You want to talk about points fine

You want to talk about inability to bring the team back when down fine

You want to talk about not throwing recievers open....or not being willing to pull the trigger on passes FINE

but will people PLEASE stop talking about the damn passing yards like that is a determination of a good quarterback?

While I understand your point, there is still validity to passing yards having worth...sure Brady threw for 500 yards and still lost...sure it is not the end all be all- but they were always in the game and able to come back from just about any deficit (until the clock ran out of course).

Not having a QB that can produce yards means it is extremely difficult to come back when losing, because you need to pass and passing yards can’t be counted on...That’s why Tyrod is frustrating to no end imo- when we were losing it felt like the game was over....the Jags game felt like it was 35-3 when it was only 10-3.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

Well... yeah, it's obviously time to rebuild.

But the problem with the connotations of that word is the implications that you have to suck while you're doing it.

Our rebuild began last offseason.  Remember when everyone thought we were tanking when we were trading away all our good players?

Yeah, rebuild the team.  But it's also time for making the playoffs AGAIN and winning in the playoffs  0:) 

We need a QB. 

WR\TE will look better with a REAL QB who can read a defense, throw his guys open, and sling the ball around consistently. Benjamin is good. Clay is good. Zay will get better. We need to bring Thompson back. Hell, it would be nice to get Matthews back on a cheaper prove it type of deal. Even if we can't get Matthews back we can address it elsewhere. QB is the biggest hindrance to our receiving group. Our guys were open A LOT, but Tyrod either didn't see them, or missed them when opportunities presented themselves, or had checked down\ran instead of throwing to a window. 

We need a backup RB or two. Shady didn't look like he lost anything last year. I bet he still has at least two more at his level before his play starts to tail off. 

The OL needs work. Groy is good enough and has proven he can hold his own. I still say we need a starter at RG and possibly RT. The reason I say possibly at RT is because I think Glenn could be the answer if healthy. Play Dawkins at LT and Glenn at RT. That gives us one of the better set of bookends in the league. Richie is old and will need a replacement within the next two years. RG is a mess. Ducasse is putrid at times and who knows about Miller. 

Milano looks like the real deal. We need another OLB and a Kuechley-esque MLB. Depth after that. 

We need 2 DT's and some other depth on the DL. If we get two legit DT's that will open up Hughes, Lawson, and whoever else that much more to get after it. Alexander is going back to DE. He has looked good when at that position for us. 

If we can bring Gaines back our starters in the Secondary are set. We still need an upgrade at NCB and some depth, but our Secondary looks pretty damn solid. 

We don't need a full rebuild. What we need is a smart, solid FA and a good draft that helps propel us to the future. Fingers crossed that Beane and McDermott have a good offseason. 

10 hours ago, nuklz2594 said:

i am 54.  we have been attempting a rebuild for damn near 20 years.  the question is...does the owner, gm, and head coach have the same vision?  

Im 55 and with you.    Its being loaded at rb and taking a water bug running because Chan wanted it.    Its having a great 4-3 and hiring 3-4 Rex and his overrated D.  The Bills have  no long term vision.  Sure a coach and GM have to work together but the final decision on personnel should be the GMs,

I get the orginal poster's point.   I can think of all those picks and just solving one side of the ball.   On D. the entire line is a question mark.     Kyle retires, Washington is JAG, Hughes they are probably looking to get out of final years of that contract and Lawson hasnt showed a lot.  The LBs, Brown could go in FA, Lorax is old,  could need all 3.   Lose Gaines and you have a huge hole at CB.  On offense, QB, both guards are getting up there, rb depth behind Shady is a zero, WR depth is needed if Mathews goes.  Beane has his work cut out for him.

Edited by billsfan714

1 hour ago, Luka said:

People said our last receiving corps was terrible too, but they've all gone on to be great. I wonder what the one common denominator is in this situation... :rolleyes:

Can you define or last wr corps and great?

Curious who you mean.

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

As long as it truly isn't this, I'd prefer the Bills draft a QB to signing a FA vet.  They might as well just keep Taylor in that case because there's not much out there other than Cousins.  They'd have to trade for Foles, and I'm not sure that he could have success with the Bills because of their holes on offense.

To negotiate trades and other related personnel matters.  I think that both NE and KC use the model where the HC has control of player personnel.   The Bills have generally had the GM either equal/semi-subservient to the HC since Donahoe was fired after the 2005 season.  Both Whaley and Nix selected players that fit what the HC wanted ... for good or bad, and mostly bad IMO since the 2013 draft.

Every good GM does this.

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

While I understand your point, there is still validity to passing yards having worth...sure Brady threw for 500 yards and still lost...sure it is not the end all be all- but they were always in the game and able to come back from just about any deficit (until the clock ran out of course).

Not having a QB that can produce yards means it is extremely difficult to come back when losing, because you need to pass and passing yards can’t be counted on...That’s why Tyrod is frustrating to no end imo- when we were losing it felt like the game was over....the Jags game felt like it was 35-3 when it was only 10-3.

This guy gets it

20 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day it was great season and that the Bills made the playoffs,  anyone looking at this current roster can see the writing on the wall.  Only one very good player under the age of 25 on this team and loads of positions that need upgrades.  This includes

- Bills need a QB and this should be top priority this offseason

- Shaddy is 30 and we have no depth behind him

- Losing Wood hurts offensive line,  Incognito is 34 years old

- Kyle was our best DL and may retire,  

- One of the worst WR groups in the NFL

- LB position needs upgrading at all 3 spots

- The Bills only true very good player under 25 is our rookie  Tre White,  they do have very good safety play

You could argue that other Bills teams had more talent and never made the playoffs then this team,  either way there is lots to do and it all starts with the QB.  My fear is the Bills will be afraid to trade up to get the best QB then can because they have so many holes to fill on this roster.  Everyone knows it starts and ends with the QB

I don’t think that there is any doubt that other Bills teams had more talent. With that being said the Bills already started rebuilding. They started with the secondary. I expect Gaines to be back and an upgrade to the guy behind him. They are elite already and could be even better with some pass rush. 

The Bills have 5 picks in the 1st 100 and cap space (even more next year). I would think that they work on the front 7 this offseason. Milano looks like a player and I’d expect 2 defensive lineman and a LB (minimum). They will work to improve the run defense and pass rush. You have to be really good on one side of the ball to compete. That’s the quickest path for the Bills.

They will address the QB obviously. The player they add will dictate how quickly we can expect them to contribute. The OL is already turning over. There are a variety of ways that they can go there. They need a #2 RB but in this class they have a chance to get a future lead back pretty easily. They need to add 2 WRs as well. 

We always say, “it starts with the QB” but it really doesn’t. A QB is the biggest piece but it doesn’t matter where it starts. Jacksonville didn’t start with the QB. Minnesota didn’t either. Everything isn’t on hold until you get the QB. You get the QB when the time is right, when the mix of talent and assets make it viable. That sure looks like this year. 

The point being, sure the Bills have less talent now than they have had in recent years but they are already rebuilding. By May 1, I expect this team to be more talented than they were last season. By May 1, 2019 they will be even further ahead assuming that the QB they picked was the right guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2018 at 9:16 AM, Niagara Dude said:

What is it you don't agree with?  i would say DB is strongest position and we still need another starting corner.  Other then TE every position needs some improvements with QB being the biggest question mark.  You can spin it anyway you want,  there is lots to do and we need more play makers on this team.

I largely agree with the improvements you suggest but I don't think a complete rebuilt (which suggests trading marketable assets for draft picks) is required.  Add the right QB and the rest can fall in place.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, matter2003 said:

Woods had basically the same stats as he did in 2014 here, just had a 94 yard TD and national exposure since the Rams were the NFL darlings this year.

He had about 80 more yards and the same number of TDs. In fact I'd argue he was more productive here in 2014 since we were a run heavy team whereas his stats were inflated in LA with them being a much more pass heavy team.

But I guess people believe what they want to believe regardless of the truth.

Stats don't tell the whole story in the NFL, Woods played a much more prominent role in LA than he ever did in Buffalo. 

9 minutes ago, HT02 said:

I largely agree with the improvements you suggest but I don't think a complete rebuilt (which suggests trading marketable assets for draft picks) is required.  Add the right QB and the rest can fall in place.

Stats don't tell the whole story in the NFL, Woods played a much more prominent role in LA than he ever did in Buffalo. 

No kidding...we were a run first team. He might also be the best run blocking WR in the NFL

On 2/6/2018 at 5:39 AM, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day it was great season and that the Bills made the playoffs,  anyone looking at this current roster can see the writing on the wall.  Only one very good player under the age of 25 on this team and loads of positions that need upgrades.  This includes

- Bills need a QB and this should be top priority this offseason

- Shaddy is 30 and we have no depth behind him

- Losing Wood hurts offensive line,  Incognito is 34 years old

- Kyle was our best DL and may retire,  

- One of the worst WR groups in the NFL

- LB position needs upgrading at all 3 spots

- The Bills only true very good player under 25 is our rookie  Tre White,  they do have very good safety play

You could argue that other Bills teams had more talent and never made the playoffs then this team,  either way there is lots to do and it all starts with the QB.  My fear is the Bills will be afraid to trade up to get the best QB then can because they have so many holes to fill on this roster.  Everyone knows it starts and ends with the QB

So what are Dawkins and Milano supposed to be?